New Ross United Methodist Church
-- The New Ross church stems from a log cabin church back in 1830 called "Brown's Chapel." Rev. Thomas Brown and wife, Susannah came from Lee Co, Virginia to begin such church. In 1859, the log church was replaced with a framed one under the directorship of Rev. Joseph White. The beloved Rev. Brown died the next year (July 8, 1860) and was buried in the churchyard his beloved Susannah joining him in a few years (July 25, 1871). The graves were neglected in the ensuing years and with agreement of Rev. Brown's other churches he had nurtured, he and Susannah were removed (1983) to the Montgomery Cemetery at Lizton and clean, repaired monuments then marked their graves. Some of the parishoners decided they would like a church in town (New Ross) and the church grew so quickly, that in 1877 a new brick church was built at the cost of $3,000. At the 1989 writing of Family Histories of Montgomery County, Indiana, (Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing) the church was at a peak with Rev. Jeffrey Barnes as pastor.