Turkey Run Christian Church
Coal Creek Township
Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal 15 April 1893 p 5
More than 60 years ago before the red man had hardly disappeared and while the wild deer went leaping through the forest, a company of pioneers with religious intent, met to worship in a school house which stood on the bank of a babbling brook called Turkey Run in the southwestern part of Coal Creek Township on a piece of land Vezey Tracey bought from the government. Probably as early as 1830 Grandmother Tracey was buried at this place which was the commencement of Turkey Run burying ground. Mr. Tracey sold the farm, except this plot of ground to George Westfall. The school house gave way to a log house of worship and the church was known as Turkey Run Christian Church. The church was afterward moved to Pleasant Hill Christian Church. For many years the pioneers from afar and near were buried at Turkey Run, until nearly every family in the county was represented in this consecrated place. For some years, however, the cemetery has been neglected. Recently an effort is being made to erect a substantial iron post fence around it. Last fall trustees were elected and a subscription circulated. The effort is commendable and should be encouraged.