Union Chapel UB Church
- On 1/2 acre of land in Sec 29, Twp 18, Rg 5West, four men (Samuel Demoret, Sam Jr, John Busenbark and George Surface began the building of the United Brethren Church with a one-room rectangular, wooden structure. A belfry called the people in for worshipping. The corner stones were from Alexander Weir's quarry. Rev. Samuel Swek (Zuck) was the first minister. Ano Gunkle of Crawfordsville was the first convert. In 1927, the building received a total remodelling. The church had its glory days but in 1965 was disbanded -- Bev Rice gives directions: East of 400 W on 450 S. It set approximately 4 houses 20160 beside 3rd house in weeds -- east on 400 W on the north side of the road.
-- here is an article on its inception
-- Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Star Dec 8, 1887 -- "Bal Hinch" A great many of the people of this vicinity attended the dedication services of the United Brethren church on last Sunday. Bishop Keppart preached the dedication sermon. They lacked $13.50 of having the money made up and they made up by subscription and cash $40.23. - -THANKS Bob, Chris & Bev for all the help - and thanks to Cheryl J. for the pic of the inside- love it :)