The Portland Mills Christian Church still holds services today but struggles for money as most small churches do.
The church dates back to 1839 (old photo) when it was founded by James A. Jacks with about 30 members involved. It grew to its maximimum of 200. Not sure who the minister was or just what the excitement held, but 30 new members and 23 were baptized in the year 1901 with about 1200 present. Plays, oyster suppers, Christmas program, ice cream socials and many activities were held at the church.
In 1956, an addition was put on and the average attendance was about 50 people attending regularly. However, a spring flood with 12" of rainfall which brought forth a massive upheaval and clean-up. News noted that the church building would have to be moved in order for Mansfield dam to be build. The church did receive the abandoned Seceder Church just a mile away. After a remodling job (see the gprgepis mew cjircj_, Easter Sunday, 1960 served as the first church assemblage.
Address: 11130 E. Harbison Road, Rockville, IN 47872-8187
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/PortlandMillsCC (thanks for the photo
Article -- https://www.tribstar.com/community/mike-mccormick-remembering-the-portland-mills-community/article_38576e52-0296-5856-9b8a-7a174e2de545.html
Fund raiser -- and more information about the church -- https://www.pcfoundation.org/fund_spir_portland_mills.html