Parke County Indiana Biographies - G
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
GARRIGUS, Abigail, Mansfield, was born October 22, 1815 in New York. When she was 3 years old her parents moved to Illinois; lived there 6 years and them came to Parke county. She was married August 6, 1837 to Solomon BORN Garrigus. By this marriage there have been 10 children: David, deceased; Hannah, LaFayette, deceased; Mary L, deceased; Rozella; Columbus; Jefferson c; Lydia E; James B; Elizabeth C, deceased Mr. Garrigus was county surveyor for a number of years and was magistrate for about 35 years. He was a Jackson Democrat and took an active part in politics. He was a kind and indulgent father and husband, a generous man and a useful, honorable member of society. He was born August 7, 1803 and died March 18, 1879. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
GARRIGUS, John J. ,physician, Russell's Mills, was born at Annapolis, in Penn Township, on April 13, 1848, and was left an orphan at an early age. He received his early education at the district school, and later spent 3 years at the high school. In 1864, when yet a mere boy, he enlisted in the 154th Ind. reg. and served to the close of the war, settling in Sugar Creek Township in 1868, For 9 years, he engaged in school teaching and reading medicine, attending a course of lectures last winter, and commenced the practice of medicine in the Spring of 1880, in which, by his skill and close attention to his professional duties, he is building up a large and lucrative practice, and is succeeding beyond his most sanguine expectations. in 1867, he married Miss Mary Ward, daughter of J.C. Ward of Ward's Mills, one of the early settlers in the township, by whom he has a family of 5 children: James C, Anna E, August H, Willie and Charlie E. The doctor is a leading member of the Society of Friends, and takes a prominent part in all religious matters; is a member of Annapolis Lodge AF & AM past grand of Parke Lodge, IOOF, charter member of Harveysburg Lodge, Knights of Pythias, a member of the GAR, and is greatly interested in the temperance movement. he is a prominent member of the Republican Party, and one of the most energetic workers of that party in the township. Taken from: 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana by J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers.
GARRIGUS, Samuel -- minister, Bellmore, was born in Parke county November 19, 1838, and is the son of Jeptha & Mary J. (KRATZER) Garrigus. He was married September 4, 1859 to Florina WILLIAMS, daughter of John S. and Mary and has a family of 4 children: John S born December 8, 1860; William S, born July 1, 1863; died October 15, 1864; buried at Clear Run graveyard; Ared S, born May 7, 1867; Milton born July 9, 1875 and died October 19, 1879 buried Blake Graveyard. Mr. Garrigus was educated in the common schools, and took a private theological course of study. He joined the United Brethren in Christ church, November 16, 1857 and in four years after entered the ministry. In 1864 he received license to preach. October 29, 1863, he enlisted in Co H 1st Indiana Heavy Art. at Indianapolis. He served two years and three months; was at the siege of Mobile; at the two sieges of forts Spanish and Blakely; accompanied the Red river expedition and was engaged at Cane River and in several skirmishes. He returned home and entered the ministry again and has met with considerable success, especially in the years 1879 and 1880. He votes republican and is in fair circumstances.
GARRIGUS, Solomon B., was born in New Jersey in 1803. He came to Parke County. when a young man and settled in Jackson Township. He was one of the earliest school teacher sin the County, was a justice of the peace for 40 years, served as county Surveyor and was prominent in the councils of the Democratic party. A man of intelligence, integrity and patriotism, he did much towards the development of the county and leading its civic government along the lines that gave Parke county the reputation it had in the days of its greatest ascendancy in the state. He died May 18, 1877. (Note: there is a picture -- Historical Sketch of Parke County, Parke county, In Centennial Memorial, 1816-1916 p 110).
GARRISON, John—Farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 20, P. O. Knoxville. Was born in Parke county, Indiana, December 11, 1839. His father. William, was an agriculturist in that State; he was among the early settlers of Indiana and took an active part in the development of Parke county. In 1850 he came west, locating in Marion co.unty, where the subject of this sketch was educated and raised to manhood. On the fifth of August, 1862, he enlisted in company G, Thirty-third Iowa infantry. On account of sickness contracted soon after his enlistment was in the hospital emplov the greater portion of the time until December 26, when he was honorablvy discharged. He was married September 13, 1868, to Miss Dortha Little, a native of Elkhart county Indiana, daughter of James and Elizabeth Little, who were among the pioneers of that State. The family consists of seven children: Ira Emerson, James William, Charles Wesley, Ida May, David Franklin, Purdy Elvin and John. is estate of eighty acres is conveniently located in Knoxville - The History of Marion County, Iowa: Containing a History of the County, Its People... - Page 574 by Union Historical Company - Marion County (Iowa) - 1881
GILKESON, John Calvin -- No man in Parke county is better and more favorably known that Squire John Calvin Gilkeson of Catlin. Throughout his manhood's years he has been active in the affairs of his Township. and vicinity. he has been continually called on for counsel for more than 40 years. he was born in Mercer County Kentucky May 27, 1809 and is the son of Thomas and Nancy (BUCHANAN) Gilkeson, both born in Virginia In the fall of 1821 when John was a boy, his parents came to Parke County, settling on the W 1/2 of SW 1/4 of Section 5, Raccoon Township, on which they built a log cabin. All seemed thrifty in the Gilkeson domain, but unluckily the father of the family had affixed his name to the bond of an unscrupulous treasurer and collector and the little home was sold by the sheriff. But the sheriff did not sell their courage. As the family moved onward John came into possession of a pair of steers, which he trained into a yoke of oxen, which he drove in repairing the broken dam of the old mill they had built years before. He soon obtained another yoke and made some money in hauling his lumber to Rockville, where lumber was then in demand. He also rebuilt the mill in 1837, doing all the framing, mill righting and blacksmithing himself. From 1839 to 1846 he built several flatboats, which he ran down to the Wabash River, during the spring freshets, and sold. On September29, 1838 his mother died and was borne to her rest, leaving her husband and family. August 24, 1842, John C. was married to Mary REA, daughter of William and sister to the first clerk of the Parke County Circuit court. They have no children. In 1847, August 7, his father, Thomas died. On August 5, 1874, Mary, wife of J. C. Gilkeson, also died, aged about 71. In 1844 Mr. Gilkeson was elected justice of the peace in Raccoon Township, which office he has filled ever since, with he exception of about 2 and a half years. he has been engaged in probate court 50 years. In 1853 he was elected an elder in the Rockville Presbyterian church, of which he and his wife and parents were members. His ancestry runs back to the old Scotch Presbyterian sect. Squire Gilkeson has voted Whig and republican straight along, never having scratched his ticket of missed an election. In his old age he is still useful to his community, giving advice on points of law, and drawing up writings which no lawyer can criticize. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
John Calvin GILKESON was born in Mercer County, Kentucky in 1809. He came with his parents and settled in Raccoon Township in 1821. He was active in civic affairs, being a man of high ideals. He was frequently called upon for consul and advice. He built a saw mill in 1837 at the ford which bears his name on Little Raccoon, six miles southeast of Rockville. During most of his adult life, he was a justice of the peace which office he filled with more than ordinary legal and business ability. From 1838 to 1846 he built several flat boats which during the spring freshets were floated down to the Wabash River and sold. - Historical Sketch of Parke County, Indiana, 1816-1916, Page 119
William J. GILKESON during the war was a strong Union man and has been a resident of Section 19, Adams Township Parke County, since 1875. He has always been active in forwarding and promoting the best interests of this locality the welfare of which he has ever had deeply at heart. Mr. Gilkeson was born in Augusta County, Virginia January 3, 1823, and is the son of John, who was likewise a native of the same county and state. Our subject's mother was, in her maidenhood, Miss Jane, daughter of William Brownlee. Grandfather Gilkeson was a soldier of the Revolutionary War and also participated in the War of 1812. Mr. Gilkeson has in his possession an old fashioned gun which was carried by that gentleman in the last mentioned war. John Gilkeson was a farmer by occupation and in 1829 went to Ohio, locating near Hillsboro in Highland County where he lived for 7 years, cultivating rented land. In 1837 he removed with his family to Parke County and purchased land of Gen. Howard. This was nearly all in a wild state at the time of his purchase, but with characteristic energy he proceeded at once to the work of its improvement and development, accomplishing good results by the aid of his children. Of the latter there were six in number, four of these still surviving, viz: Mary, widow of Robert Christian; Jane L, who lives in Adams Township; John, a resident of Allen County, Kansas, where he is engaged in farming and our subject. Until reaching his 30th year William J. Gilkeson was a resident of Allen County, KS; where he is engaged in farming, and our subject. Until reaching his 30th year William J. Gilkeson was a resident of his birthplace, but at that time came with his parents to Indiana, where he grew to man's estate. His father died about two years after their removal to Parke County and it therefore fell to the lot of the children to improve and clear the land. In 1852 Mr. Gilkeson wedded Rachel, daughter of Archibald Strain, and to them was born one child, Isaac who makes his home in Parke County. The wife and mother was called to her final rest in the spring of 1853, and six years later, Mr. Gilkeson and Elizabeth Adams were united in wedlock. Mrs. Gilkeson is a daughter of Samuel Adams, who was an early settler of this county, to which he migrated from Kentucky. From the year 1859 until 1875 Mr. Gilkeson engaged in farming on Section 20, Adams Twp, when he purchased his present farm, which comprises 65 acres. He is an enterprising agriculturist and has used the most practical as well as most modern methods in conducting his farm. He deposits his ballot in favor of the Republican nominees and in religious belief supports the Presbyterian Church of which he is a member. To our worthy subject and wife have been born four children, the eldest of whom, William, makes his home in Texas; Samuel lives in Terre Haute; Edna Jane is the next in order of birth and John Thomas lives at home. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana, Chicago: Chapman Brothers, Page 422
GILLUM, Dr. Ira H., physician, Sylvania, the son of Osborne and Eveline (SOWERS) Gillum, was born in Fountain Co 1843 and during his youth was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1862 he enlisted in the 63rd Indiana Regiment and was engaged with his regiment in the six days' skirmish before Columbia, Tennessee at the battle of Franklin, and also at the battle of Nashville. He obtained his education at the Bloomingdale Academy and at Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which institution he is a graduated in 1874 he came to Sylvania and practiced medicine, having a year previously acquired an interest in the general merchandise store located here now and run under the firm name of Gillum brothers. Their large business is conducted in a two-story frame building and they have a capital of over $5,000 invested therein. August 14, 1867, he was married to Miss Sarah RICHARDSON and they have a family of four children; one boy and three girls. The doctor is a leading member of the AF & AM at this point and in politics is strongly republican and is now a candidate for representative on that ticket. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
Dr. Ira Hamilton GILLUM who died at his home in Milford, March 6, 1906, was for years one of the leading and well known physicians of Iroquois County. He became a resident of Milford August 1, 1883 and the high character of his professional service and of his individual worth made him a man to know was to esteem and honor. Born in Indiana on the 18th of September 1843, he was reared to manhood in that state and acquired a liberal education at Bloomdale (Bloomingdale?). In the period of his later youth and early manhood there was great discussion of the slavery question and the right of governmental interference. Party feeling ran very high and old political organizations ceased to exist while new ones took their place, their organization caused by the momentous questions of the period. Dr. Gillum watched with interest the progress of events in the south and in 1863, when not yet 20, he offered his services to the government, becoming a member of Co. H, 63rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Thoroughly patriotic in spirit and faithful in his service, he continued at the front throughout the remainder of the war and participated in a number of important engagements, including the battle of Franklin, Tennessee. Becoming very ill with typhoid fever, he was in the hospital for a considerable period, recovering his health toward the close of the war. He was honorable discharged at Indianapolis after the cessation of hostilities in 1865 and returned home with the boys in blue who had so faithfully defended the old flag and the cause it represented. When the country no longer needed his aid Dr. Gillum returned home and resumed his studies at Bloomdale (sic) completing a course there. Subsequently he engaged in teaching in Fountain County, Indiana and afterward at Newport that state and thus he entered upon active business life, although in later years he transferred his allegiance from the teacher's profession to that of the physician's. At Newport, Indiana, Dr. Gillum was married 14 August 1867 to Miss Sarah Richardson, a daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Richardson. Her father was one of the pioneer residents of the Hoosier state, to which he removed with his father, Joseph Richardson who entered land from the government and cleared and developed a farm, upon which he spent his remaining days. Following their marriage, Dr. and Mrs. Gillum resided near Newport and he took up the study of medicine there, pursuing his first course of lectures in Rush Medical College in Chicago in 1868. He located at Ivesdale, Champaign County, Illinois where he entered actively upon the practice of medicine and surgery. Ambitious to attain the greatest perfection possible, in 1872, he again entered rush, where he completed the regular course and was graduated in the class of 1873. He then practiced in Parke County, Indiana opening an office in Sylvania, where he continued in the active and successful prosecution of his profession for 10 years. Thinking to find a still more favorable opening at Milford, Illinois, he removed to this city in 1883 and soon demonstrated his ability to successfully cope with the difficult problems which continually confront the physician. Within a short space of time he had secured a liberal patronage and his practice steadily increased in extent and importance. He became the loved family physician in many a household and his skill and ability were demonstrated on various occasions. He held membership in a number of medical societies and kept abreast with his profession in the onward march of progress through the perusal of medical and scientific journals and other medical literature, being a great reader and student. Dr. and Mrs. Gillum became the parents of six children of whom 4 are living; Mrs. Frank Wideman, of Milford; Mrs. James Allen who is living in Eureka, Illinois; Mrs. Fleet Gillum Thompson of Peoria, and William Jenner, who is a professor of music, living in Sheldon, Iowa. They also lost two children, one dying in infancy and the other in early childhood. Politically the Dr. was identified with the Republican Party and after coming to Milford he served on the national board of examiners for 12 years. In Indiana he was recognized as one of the standard bearers of his party and was elected and served in the state legislature as representative from Parke County. He always stood for good government, placing the general welfare before partisanship or self-aggrandizement. He regarded it as the duty as well as the privilege of every American citizen to keep well informed on the issues of the day and express his preferences regarding political principles. His public life, professional and political was characterized at all times by a sense of conscientious obligation and a faithful performance of duty. There was a considerateness and kindliness in his manner that won confidence and made him a cheery presence in the sickroom and when he was called from this life his death came as a personal bereavement to many who knew, respected and honored him and who were bound to him in the strongest ties of friendship as well as of professional service. The poor and needy always found in him a friend and he would as readily answer a call from those from whom he could expect no remuneration as from his well-to-do-patients. He took great interest in schools and educational affairs and materially assisted in establishing the library at Milford. Being an active member of the Masonic Fraternity and the Grand Army of the Republic, he was laid to rest by those orders. - Kern, J. W. Past and present of Iroquois County, Illinois. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1907, Page 338
W. H. . GILLUM, M.D. is a practicing physician and surgeon at Rockville, Parke County. He is an intelligent and well-informed gentleman, both along the lines of his profession and in general information and has been for some time a correspondent for the Chicago Times and for the Indianapolis Sentinel. This city has been the field of his business career since June 1873 and he has a large practice in the County. His opinion is held in the highest respect in regard to all cases requiring skill and unusual care and he is frequently called in consultation with other physicians. He is a man of literary taste and ability, having written a great deal for newspapers and medical journals. For a number of years he was surgeon for the TH & LRR and holds the same position with the Vandalia Line, which runs through this place. He is Health Officer of Rockville and altogether holds a place in the respect of the populace which is a truly enviable one. Dr. Gillum was born in Greenville, Augusta Co, Virginia November 22, 1847, being the son of Dr. P. G. Gillum who was a native of Albemarle County, Virginia his birth having occurred near Charlottesville in 1818. The family originally came to the United States from England, our subject's grandfather, James Gillum, having been one of the early settlers of Albemarle Co where he became an extensive planter and slave owner. Dr. P. G. was the youngest son in a family of five children and was graduated from the medical department of the Virginia University and later from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. After that event he returned to his native county, where he began his practice. He married Miss Mary L, youngest daughter of Col. Thomas JACKSON who was a prominent farmer of Augusta County, VA and who was Sheriff of the county when it comprised nearly 1/2 of the state of West Va. He acquired his rank of Colonel in the War of 1812. After his marriage, Dr. Gillum, Sr. continued in the practice of medicine until he was drowned. While crossing a bridge, his horse became frightened and backed off into the water and in this manner did death come to one of the most popular and prominent physicians in Virginia at that time. He was a supporter of the Democratic Party. Great credit is due to him as the introducer of the modern treatment of typhoid and similar fevers. The subject of this sketch was reared in the village of Greenville and in 1867 he entered the University of Virginia, being graduated from the medical department. The following year he was graduated from the College of Physicians & Surgeons, Baltimore. Though only 14 at the breaking out of the war, he entered the Confederate service in Staunton, VA and participated in important battles of the war, surrendering with Gen. Lee at Appomattox Court House. It was subsequent to this that he pursued his medical course and after graduating, as previously mentioned, he returned to his birthplace, engaging there in practice until 1873 at which time he removed to Rockville. The Doctor was united in marriage February 17, 1874 with Miss Rebecca M, daughter of James RANDOLPH. Mrs. Gillum was born in Virginia, where she lived until the fall of 1865, when she came to this county with her stepfather. To the Dr. and his estimable wife has been born one son, John Randolph, who is now attending school. In regard to politics, our subject is a Democrat, and in 1888 was a candidate for Congress. He has been a member of the Democratic State Committee and has also served as Chairman of the Congressional Committee being one of the most active Democrats of this county. He organized the first Parke County Medical Society, which was formed in 1874, since which time he has been its Secretary almost without interruption. IN addition to this he also belongs to the Indiana State Medical Society, being a delegate to the same in 1874. For two terms he was a member of the City Council, and is popular among the Republicans as well as among the supporters of his own party. Another fact which speaks well for him as a man is that he is much esteemed by the Union soldiers of this locality, though he was in the Confederate service. Socially, he is a member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, a Royal Arch Mason and Knight of Pythias, having been Grand Chancellor of this state and first presiding officer of his lodge and was a representative of the Supreme Lodge of the World which met for the first time at Detroit, and next in New Orleans. For one term the Dr. served as Master in the Masonic Lodge, Rockville. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 156
GLASSON, Ira, was born in Orange County, North Carolina August 13, 1823. Before he reached the first anniversary of his birth his parents, having heard thrilling stories of the great possibilities in the far West, started on that long, tedious journey, which brought them to Orange County, Indiana. In Orange County, Ira Glasson grew to manhood and in 1845 was married to Sarah C. WHITE. In 1855, he brought his family, which consisted of his wife and five small girls to Parke County. Here he lived until his death, which occurred May 18, 1913. When he arrived in Parke County he located near the then thriving town of Annapolis, and for several years lived near that place. In the early 70s he moved his family to a farm near Rockville and in this community he spent the remainder of his life. had he lived until August, 1913 he would have reached his 90th birthday. His was a long life well spent. His friends knew him as an honest, industrious, moral man, charitable and obliging. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of IN Centennial, 1816-1916, Page 123.
Rev. Jesse J. GOBEN, deceased was one of the best known ministers of the Baptist Church in this section of the country. He was born in Jefferson County, Kentucky near Man's Lick December 17, 1808. His parents were James and Betsy KLINE Goben, and James was the son of Billy Goben, a native of Ireland who married Rebecca BRANDY from Wales in 1776. The mother of our subject was of Dutch descent and Jesse's parents settled at an early day in Shelby Co, Kentucky and not long before Jesse's birth removed to Jefferson County, Kentucky. They had a family of 10 children. Elder Goben has left an autobiography prepared when upwards of 70 from which we make a few quotations: "My earliest recollection was the War of 1812 when the volunteers were called for and who in 3 months destroyed many Indian villages and their corn and thus secured immunity from them." Thus the valuable paper begins. The father of our subject dying the following year his wife was removed by her father some 60 miles distant form where they lived and here he remained until age 19. He worked at tobacco growing and had in these crops secured money enough to enter a piece of land and in 1829 decided to come to Indiana. Therefore in Oct. he entered land in Walnut Creek Township, 7 miles east of Crawfordsville, and in his own language, "raised my cabin, hewed puncheons and floored it, built the chimney up to the mantel and prepared the small sticks for running the flue." One of Mr. Goben's horses was lost, probably stolen by the Indians, but he then returned to Kentucky, and December 8, 1829 he was married to Arminta PLUNKETT and in 10 days' return trip, his wife riding his remaining horse, he walking, they reached the cabin. This was during a rainy season and the creeks were past fording and they had to cross in canoes. The horse waded alongside. Sometimes this was a hazardous undertaking. The first breakfast in the new home was eaten from the top of the trunk with a small stool on each side. A bread tray was made from the buckeye tree dressed over with an adze and finished with a drawing knife and the wash tubs were hewed out of white walnut. A bedstead with one leg was made fast to the wall with small poles and lined with bark, which made it almost equal to a spring bottom bed. Frequent encounters with wolves and other wild animals were experienced, not the least exciting being an adventure with a black rattlesnake. In those early days frequent religious revivals were held, but while Mr. Goben had always been under religious training he had held aloof from actual experience. Both himself and wife were good singers and did the most of the singing at revivals held near and he soon began to feel great dissatisfaction and all the torments told of by Bunyan, but he resisted the efforts to lead him to true belief. He had an innate dislike for the Baptist faith and deemed it unworthy of consideration. This feeling continued for more than a year, when he received light and was baptized. Then came a greater struggle as Mr. Goben's brethren thought he should preach, but he would not be convinced. However, he would talk to himself in the cornfield, would actually preach for himself as audience, and thus he struggled for 7 years when a severe illness brought the conviction to his mind that he was destined to become a preacher. A meeting day came and Brother West arose and said: "Brethren, there is a gift in this church that will be profitable to the church if liberated. I mean Brother Goben." Says the biographer: "I then arose and told the story of my deliverance." Mr. Goben was then licensed to preach, but a year passed before he made an attempt. Constant reading of the Bible opened his eyes to truth and he began with short discourses upon the 3rd chapter of Hebrews. His fame soon spread around and Wolf Creek Church asked of Walnut Creek Church that he be permitted to preach tot hem. Soon after Thornton asked the same and then Pisgah followed. He sometimes traveled 25 miles. He preached for four years, when he asked the Lord to let him stop. He was stricken with a strange malady which baffled all physicians. His wife in a dream saw a man who said he could cure him and so Mr. Goben was placed in a wagon and hauled to Crawfordsville, where Dr. Benage was found to fill the description of the man in the dream. This intelligent doctor seemed to know what was needed for in 48 hours Mr. Goben was as well as ever and resumed preaching. He had some severe lessons, but space will not permit quoting all of the interesting memoir. He mentioned meeting that able debater, Elder Herod a New Light Minister on the Resurrection and vanquishing him. Mr. Goben was a man of who was highly esteemed as a minister, as a citizen, as a husband and father and neighbor. In fact, this country has seen few who were his equals. His death was preceded by some months of confinement and hundreds visited him, but the summons came March 15, 1886, and his funeral was preached at Smartsburg by Elder James S. Whitlock and William Darnall. His wife has preceded him several years and they left four sons and one daughter, although they had had 14 children and had lived together nearly 57 years. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Parke, Montgomery & Fountain County, Indiana Chapman Bros: 1893, Page 345
GOLDSBERRY, J. A., M.D., a prominent physician and surgeon of Annapolis, was born in Ross County, Ohio on the 11th day of July, 1834. He is the eldest son of Mathias and Mary Goldsberry. When yet but a child, his parents moved to Indianapolis, where they lived 3 years. From there they went to Augusta, Indiana where the Dr. lived until he was 20. At that age he began the study of medicine, having previously qualified himself as thoroughly as he could in the common school. His preceptor was Dr. James Gregory of Putnam County, under whose tuition he studied for two years and six months. In the winters of 1856 and 1857, and again in 1863 and 1864, he attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago graduated there in the spring of 1864. Soon after, the Dr. was appointed assistant surgeon of the First Indiana Heavy Artillery, and was assigned to duty in charge of hospitals at Baton Rouge, LA and served in that position until the end of the war. At the close of the war, he joined his family at Annapolis, Indiana, where they had been living during his term of service. He at once entered into a lucrative practice. His first case of surgery (at home) was that of S.T. ENSEY, whose recovery is one of the most remarkable on record and Dr. G's successful treatment of the case at once established his reputation as a skillful physician and surgeon. A report of the case was published at the time (July 1866) in the Chicago Medical Journal. In 1858, May 27, Dr. Goldsberry was married to Mary CONNELLY who has born him four children. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of IN Centennial, 1816-1916, Page 36 - In every profession there are those who, by years of hard study, constant practice, and a close attention to business, are the recognized leaders in their profession. This position has been attained and honestly earned by J. A. GOLDSBERRY, M.D., of Annapolis, the subject of this sketch, who for many years has been a practicing physician and surgeon. He was born in Ross County, Ohio , July 11, 1834, and is the eldest son of Matthias and Mary Goldsberry. When but a boy his parents removed to Indianapolis, where they lived three years. From there they went to Augusta, Indiana where the doctor lived until he was 21 years old. At that age he began the study of medicine, having before qualified himself as thoroughly as he could by attending schools. His preceptor was Dr. James Gregory, of Putnam County, under whose tuition he studied for two years and six months. In the winter of 1856-7, and again in 1863 and 1864, he attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, where he graduated in 1864. Soon after the doctor was appointed assistant surgeon of the 1st Ind. Heavy Art, and was assigned to duty in charge of hospitals at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and served in that position until the close of the war. At the close of the war he rejoined his family at Annapolis, Indiana, and at once entered into a lucrative practice, and by his successful treatment of his many patients he has established a first-class reputation as a skillful physician and surgeon. May 27, 1857, the doctor was married to Mary CONNELLY. Taken from: Page 306 History of Parke Co IN; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880
John A. GOLDSBERRY, M.D. is one of the oldest practicing physicians of Penn Township, Parke County and subject of a history more than ordinarily interesting. He is a man of fine physique, and of a noble character which has won him a host of friends in the county who have watched his career with an admiration well worthy of his achievements. Dr. Goldsberry was born in Ross County, Ohio in 1835 and is the son of Matthias and Mary McCauly Goldsberry. The father was of an old Virginia family and born in the eastern part of that state in 1804. In his youth he emigrated to Ross Co. with his parents where he received a good education in the select school of the Buckeye State, in the meantime helping his father on the farm. When a young man he married Miss Mary McCaully, who became the mother of 5, of whom our subject is the second. The family comprised two sons and three daughters. After his marriage, in 1836, he came to Indiana, where he resided in Indianapolis for two years, at the end of which time he moved to Augusta. Here he followed his former occupation and remained until 1855, then locating in Putnam Co, where he followed the grocery business. A few years later he was enabled to come to Rockville, where he led a retired life and died. Dr. John A. Goldsberry began on his own account by teaching a district school in Marion County, Indiana which vocation he followed 18 months, meanwhile devoting all his spare time to the reading of medicine. At Bainbridge he studied medicine under Dr. James Gregory for 2 years and then entered Rush Medical College of Chicago in 1864. He had previously taken a course in this college in 1856-57 and practiced on a small scale. After a second course in Chicago he began the practice at Parkeville, this county and in 1865 located where he now resides, faithfully discharging his duties as a physician. He had lived here since 1865, with the exception of one year which was spent in Greencastle where his children were receiving their education. A year previous to his locating in this county, Dr. Goldsberry entered the service as Assistant Surgeon in the First Heavy Artillery of Indiana where he remained until the close of the war. In 1858 the Dr. married Miss Mary Connelly, a daughter of David and Susan. Mrs. Goldsberry bore her husband six children: Carrie, deceased; Laura; Charles, deceased; Omer of Greencastle; Warren and Maude, deceased. The Goldsberry family is widely and favorably known throughout Parke Co as belonging to the best element of that section. They are people generally well-to-do, highly intelligent and prominent in the vicinity. Dr. Goldsberry has been prominent in local affairs and a supporter of the Republican Party. He is a member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of Lodge No. 127, of Annapolis; also as a member of the Parke County Medical Society takes great interest in it and in the State Medical Association. He is an industrious worker and appreciates the happiness and comforts of home life. All the avenues leading to a snug competency are open and leading him to the goal which he is zealously endeavoring to reach. He is a good paying and earnest member of the Methodist Church, having been connected with it for a number of years. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 386
GOODIN, Mary HULL, was born in Bracken County Kentucky April 1, 1818. Her mother died when she was a small child, but she found a good home with a Christian family by the name of GREGG, who gave her the kind, same attention and treatment as one of the family. At the age of 18 she was married to William GOODIN, Sr., at that time an Irish schoolmaster. His parents having educated him for a Catholic priest but after completing his education did not take to that faith very strong, but came to America where he took up the profession of school teaching. He taught in Ohio , Kentucky and In and was one among the first teachers in Parke County. Ex-US Senator HARLAN was one of his pupils when teaching in this county. He had bought land in this county's early as 1819 and immediately after they were married came to Jackson Township where they began the task of opening up a farm in the forest of this township. Their first house was a very crude affair, mother earth for a floor, but as time went on and they began to realize something for their industry, they, along with other settlers began to erect more comfortable homes. At Mr. Goodin's death February 28, 1868, he owned over 1000 acres of land in Parke & Fountain counties, but most of it yet in virgin forest. Mrs. Goodin continued to live on the old homestead until her death April 13, 1899. She was loved and respected by all who knew her. (Note: there is a picture -- Historical Sketch of Parke County, Parke County In Centennial Memorial, 1816-1916 p 110).
GOOKINS, Judge S., laid out a plat of ground in lots, and from this time it was called a town, and known as Mansfield. During the building of the mill, Mr. HARDESTY kept a blacksmith shop, and a store was soon opened by Mr. DICKSON Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
GORE, Mary C, farmer, Bridgeton, was born 9-2-1835 on the Ben HARTMAN farm and is the daughter of John and Hannah (KRATDZER) Hartman. Her father's people came from Virginia and her mother's from Ohio in an early day, both families having been among the first comers to Parke county. Mary Hartman was married October 12,1854 to Horace CASE. Mr. Case was the son of Seba H. and Mary Case, and was born and raised in Florida Township, Parke county. His parents came from New York. The young couple lived with his parents two years, then bought the property on which Mrs. Gore now resides. Mr. Case departed an earthy life July 31, 1865. He left a wife and 5 children. The children are: Volney, born 9-29-1855died9-3-1869; Delphi November 27, 1857; Frederick M. August 28, 1860; Eva E. March 28, 1862 and Eliza May 1, 1865. Mr. Case was a man of developed intellect and a genial bearing. He belonged for some time to the order of Freemasons, being a member of the Bridgeton lodge. He was decidedly republican in politics, but not a selfish man in principles. His widow, Mary E. Case was married January 9, 1867 to Calvin M. Gore. Mr. Gore was born May 10, 1835. He came from Kentucky and May 30, 1873 ended his own life. He was bur. at Forks of the Creek graveyard. Mr. Gore left four children: John by his first wife born October 12, 1863 and by his second wife, Charles October 24, 1868; Sallie April 11, 1872; Callie August 20, 1873, died October 5, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Gore united with the regular Baptist church and he was moderator in that church for some time. Mr. Gore was a democrat and also a member of the Masonic fraternity. Delphi second child of Mr. and Mrs.. Case was married to James JONES December23, 1877 and lives in Florida Township. They have one child, Edwin S., born October 14, 1878, died September 11, 1879. - Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
GOSS, Cyrus -- Eminent among the men of Union Township for geniality and good citizenship, is Cyrus Goss. His father, David was born in Connecticut and his mother, Hannah (RYDER) was a native of Vermont, hence Mr. Goss is a "full-blooded Yankee"; furthermore, he trace his ancestry to that God-fearing and independent crew of the immortal Mayflower and so long as a drop of such blood flows in the family of Gosses, so long will they continue to be men of honor and integrity. His paternal grandfather was an artificer in the revolution and helped to arm the first company of horsemen for that conflict. After the war he drew a pension. Mr. Goss's father died when he (Cyrus) was 11 and when 19 years old, Cyrus, hearing of the "west" and of the great chances there for young men to make a start in life, took the "western fever," and at the age of 21 started for Indiana, Parke County, which he had heard mentioned. He came the 50 miles in the wagon belonging to his stepfather. He boarded the steamboat at Wellsville, and was 5 days in reaching Cincinnati, the river being so low that the boat frequently grounded. There he found a team going to Crawfordsville and he loaded his trunk, the same wagon carrying the bell for Wabash College. Young Goss then walked and then road, alternating with the driver. Upon reaching Crawfordsville he again loaded his trunk for Rockville, where, by a change in baggage-carrier on the way, he arrived, having been 9 days on the way, and finding Rockville a little cluster of mostly log cabins. He now concluded to try school teaching, having attended an academy 6 weeks when 16. He was successful in getting his school and taught for several years. In 1841, while teaching in the primary department of the Rockville seminary, he concluded to improve his condition, and therefore married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Mary BULION. They have had 6 children, two are dead; five living: Lucius, Albert, Marion, Mary and John. In 1844 he bought 120 acres on Section18. This was in the green woods and Mr. Goss was engaged in teaching, so he hired a cabin built, and some land cleared and fenced. He now has a nice place, all he wants and is satisfied. He sent 3 sons to the civil war, and always votes republican. He and his wife, with all his family but one, are members of the Christian Church.
Cyrus GOSS -- An early school teacher of Parke County, Cyrus Goss was born in Portage County, Ohio in 1818. At the age of 21 he started to Parke County, arriving here in 1830, where he resided until his death September 1888, in his 71st year. Immediately after his arrival here he began teaching subscription or pay schools as there were no free schools here at that time. In 1841 he was married to Elizabeth BUILION. They went to housekeeping in a part of the old Stryker house in Rockville and he taught school in the old brick seminary. In one of his home made record books we find that Pat NOEL was charged 20 cents for breaking a window glass. He afterwards moved near Bellmore, where he continued teaching. After locating on his farm he was annually elected trustee for several years building some of the old frame school houses and was instrumental in establishing the "graded school" just east of Bellmore. He was elected the first captain of the Bellmore Guards that were armed with muzzle-loading muskets. He was one of the elders of the church of Christ at Rockville, and afterwards assisted in establishing the Church of Christ at Bellmore, of which he was an elder until his death. During his entire life he was ever interested in everything that tended toward progression both in agriculture and education. He took an active part in the first teachers' institute held in the county when Dr. Cutler, the author of Cutler's Physiology was present. He purchased the first Concord grape vine in this section and paid $3 for it. - 1816-1916 Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial. Rockville: Rockville Chautauqua Association, 1916, Page 100
GOSS, Marion, physician and surgeon, Bellmore, is the son of Cyrus and Elizabeth BULION Goss, and was born in Parke County, November 3, 1846. His parents have long been farmers in Parke County, and his father was one of the earliest school teachers in Union Township. Both came from Ohio to Indiana. Dr. Goss was educated at Bellmore, and for some time at Asbury College, Greencastle. in 1870 he graduated from the university of Virginia (Medical) and in the same year settled at Bellmore for the practice of his profession. With attention and industry he has established himself in the trust of the people, and as a consequence has an extensive practice, although yet young in his vocation. He was married November17, 1873 to Mary J. MATER daughter of Daniel and Margaret of Bellmore. Their only child is Ida (?) Dr. Goss is a member of the IOOF and AF & AM Lodge No. 519. Politically he votes republican in important elections.
GRAY, Lawrence O.- the junior member of Pence & Gray, is the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. He was born near Birmingham, Alabama on September 28, 1863 to Andrew W. and Elizabeth Gray. The former was a farmer by occupation, but in his younger days was a successful school teacher, and was born in 1819. After leaving the public schools our subject completed his education at the Central Normal College, Danville, Indiana. After the completion of his course at Normal, he became one of the few successful teachers of the county. Mr. Gray has followed this occupation for 9 years in both common and graded schools, and at the close of his scholastic labors he held a perpetual certificate entitling him to teach anywhere in the state during his lifetime. His services as a teacher were always in demand, and he could command the best wages paid to any of his class. He was principal of the graded schools of Jessup, Indiana and also of Poland, subsequently accepting a position as an instructor of languages at Catlin. After closing his school labors he purchased an interest in the general merchandise store at Bridgetown (sic) Parke County and entered into partnership with Mr. W. R. Pence. As has been stated in the sketch of his partner, the storeroom was enlarged and a good stock of boots, shoes, clothing, etc. was opened up in June 1892. July 15, 1891 Mr. Gray became the husband of Miss Ella May BROWN, a young lady resident of Florida Township, and a daughter of William Brown, a representative farmer, who is the possessor of 250 acres of fine farming land. Mrs. Gray was born May 8, 1874 and after her marriage became the fond mother of one child, a son, Claude B, who was born September 25, 1892. Politically, our subject is a Democrat, but not one of those politicians who aspire to political prominence. He is a member of the Christian Church, while his good wife is a devoted member of the Methodist Church. He is well posted in regard to national topics, and is a strong advocate of Republican principle. This enterprising young business man is possessed of sagacity, forethought and energy and is attractive alike in friend and stranger. He always takes a lively interest in his mercantile operations, and is deserving of a representation among the business men of the county. Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman Brothers, 1893), Page 252
GREEN, John, farmer, Rockville, was born in Guilford Co NC., March 11, 1812. His father, Gravener Green, was a farmer and was born in Guilford October 26, 1783. His mother, Ruth Green, was born February 26, 1791 and died 1859. His father and mother were married November 23, 1809. Their children are: Joel Green; Jessie, wife of L. G. WHITEHEAD; Minerva, wife of James R. LAMBERT, residing in Indianapolis; Susan, John, Lucy, Ruth, Nancy and Syntha. Ruth married Jefferson RITCHES and Lucy married Perry SMITH December 8, 1872. He was born in Parke Co February 14, 1836. He is a hardworking and energetic farmer, and in politics a democrat. Syntha was married to Samuel H. BURKS August 7, 1873. He was born October 8, 1850 in Putnam Co In. Mr. Green moved to Orange County, Indiana in the fall of 1816 and lived there until 1830 when he moved to his present residence. He began life for himself in Parke county. When the country was all a wild, woody wilderness. He had nothing but his axe on his shoulder and now he has a large farm of 188 acres, all in good condition, as the result of his strong arm and tireless energy. In the early days, when Mr. Green was in the strength and prime of his young manhood, he was noted for his great skill as a hunger and the wild deer, turkey and other game were the numerous victims of his hunting sports.
GRINLEY, Samuel, is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on his fine farm of 437 acres, located on Section34, Washington Township, Parke county. He is Assistant Postmaster in the village of Nyesville where he has been engaged in general merchandising for the past 9 years. He carried a stock of about $1,000 value and has a large trade in the surrounding country. His desire to please his customers has brought to him their good will and patronage, for they see that he does not, as so many merchants do, make it his sole object to accumulate wealth regardless of correct and honorable methods. Our subject was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in the year 1857, being the son of John and Ann DUFORE Grinley, who were both born in southern part of France. The former was reared in a village with but limited educational advantages. In his native country he was a coal miner and when he came tot he US about 1852, he located in Pennsylvania. They were the parents of 9 children, two of whom died in France when young, one while crossing the Atlantic and 3 were called from this life in this country. The living members of the family are: Lewis; Samuel, our subject and Mary, wife of J. B. FOUCHAT. The father of these children died in 1867 but his wife is still living and making her home with her daughter in Pennsylvania. Mr. Grinley was a supporter of the Whig party and religiously both he and his family were all member of the Catholic Church. On reaching his majority, Samuel Grinley, whose name heads this sketch, started out to make his own way in the world, coming to Parke county. with a brother and brother-in-law he purchased a small tract of land where they opened up a coal bank. They continued mining until 1882, when they left the business for two years, and again engaged in mining until 1886. In the year 1884 Mr. Grinley and Miss Sarah M. BATTY were united in marriage. The lady is a daughter of John and Ann SNEATH Batty, and to them have been born 3 children: Maud A; John S. and William L. In his various business enterprises our subject has been quite successful and is justly esteemed one of the solid men of this community. He is a supporter of the Republic Party, and socially belongs to Lodge 66, K of P, Rockville. Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman Brother, 1893) Page 365
Rev. Thomas GRIFFITH was born in South Wales in 1816 and spent his boyhood in college there. He arrived in New York from Liverpool in 1840 and went to Cincinnati. He graduated at Lane Theological Seminary in 1844. He went to Montezuma and was pastor of the Presbyterian Church until he went into the army and served as Chaplain of the 71st Regt and 6th Indiana Calvary until September 1865. He then preached two years at Clinton after which he became pastor of the church at Montezuma which he served until his death a few years ago. - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial 1816-1916 Page 117
GRUBB - There are men in every community who are honored with the title of M.D., from the fact of a diploma having been granted them. There are others who have earned the title by years of hard study and a close attention to business. Among this latter class, we find Dr. J. B. GRUBB, of Bloomingdale, the subject of this brief notice. He was born in Clark County, Illinois, in 1851. At 14 years of age he left home and spent about two years on the frontier, after which he returned to his native county and spent some time attending school, where he received a literary education, and began the study of his profession under Dr. D.C. NICOSON, of Melrose, Clarke County, Illinois, where he diligently pursued his studies for about 3 years. During the session for 1874-5 he attending the old medical college of Indianapolis, Indiana, where he graduated in 1879. He is also a graduate of the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis. After practicing in different localities he finally located in Bloomingdale in 1880, where he soon entered into a lucrative practice and by his successful treatment of his patients he is fast gaining a wide reputation as a physician and surgeon. The doctor is a prominent Mason and is of a social turn, making friends and retaining them without an effort. Taken from: Page 307 History of Parke Co IN; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880
GUINN, William, farmer, Bridgeton, was born in 1813, in Bath County, Virginia and was a tanner by trade. In 1837 he emigrated to Indiana and engaged in farming in Tippecanoe county. December 30, 1838 he married Susanah KESLER daughter of George and Catharine (HORN) Kesler, both born in Shenandoah County, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Guinn's grandfather was born in Pa and her grandmother came from Germany. She was born in 1817. In 1850 Mr. and Mrs.. Guinn came to Parke County, and settled the place which Mrs. Guinn now owns. They had 7 children: George H, born September 13, 1839; Robert F, June 3, 1843; Phebe C, February 16, 1845; Eliza J, March 9, 1848; John H January 20, 1852; Andrew K, March 10, 1854; Daniel M, September 27, 1857; Flora M, May 10, 1864 an adopted child and Perry C May 22, 1875 a grandchild. Mr. Guinn died in October 1861 and is buried in Pleasant Valley graveyard. He was a Whig, and after the formation of the republican party he became a strong advocate of its principles. Mrs. Guinn has been a member of the united Brethren church for 18 years. both have worked hard, and procured a comfortable home prior to his death. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers