Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal 19 July 1890 p 6
The Corner stone of the Waveland Christian Church is laid by the Free & Accepted Masons of Indiana.
The good town of Waveland welcome a great many strangers within her gates July 10 to witness the laying of the corner stone of the new Christian church. They were present from Ladoga, Rockville, New Market and other places, but the largest delegation from Crawfordsville, there being just 50 tickets sold from this place. At about 11 o’clock Elder OP Badger of Greencastle whose pastoral duties are divided between that place and Waveland called the crowd to order and the exercises were opened by a hymn by the choir. Elder JP Ewing of Frankfort offered prayer after which the choir again sang. Elder Badger then introduced the orator of the occasion, Lt. Gov Ira J. Chase. He first told the story of the Pilgrim fathers, their privations, struggles and final victories, and then recounted as a parallel case the founding of the Christian Church 80 years ago. To illustrate how rapid had been its growth he stated that in 1857 when he was in Chicago there was not a Christian Church outside of that city for 100 miles around. The speaker next referred to the remarkable rapidity with which the prejudice of sects was disappearing. He could remember the time when it was impossible for a Presbyterian minister to occupy a Methodist pulpit. But happily that broad spirit of tolerance was steadily growing and for himself and his church he welcomed it. The name Christian had been adopted by his sect in the same spirit that it was used by the YMCA.