Wabash and Erie Canal Town
Founded in 1834 by Thomas W. Treckett and Thomas Concannon,
with later additions in 1836, Granville boasted 153 lots and a public square.
In 1850 its name was change to Weaton after the Wea Indian town
which once stood to the east. Later the name reverted to Granville.
The community flourished as a shipping town on the canal until railroad
competition after 1855 caused the decline of both the canal and town. By
1878 Granville had virtually ceased to exist.
Erected by the Tippeanoe County Historical Association, 1975.
Marker is located on the corner of county roads 75 S. and 700 W. in Wayne Township.
©1998-2014 Tippecanoe County INGenWeb
All rights reserved