In 1839 he came to this city with John Purdue and they formed a partnership in the dry goods business. After five years he engaged in the same business alone. His next business venture was to become a partner with W. F. Reynolds and Robert Stockwell in the wholesale grocery trade. This partnership ended his mercantile pursuits.
His banking career began with the organization of the old State Bank here, of which he was made president. Its business was closed out in 1865 and he then founded the National State bank. In 1885 the charter of this bank expired and the Fowler National bank was organized. His business life was very successful and he accumulated a fortune of several million dollars. He has large holding of bonds, stocks and securities and has an immense landed estate, his realty in Benton County alone being worth almost a million. As a financier he had no peer in Lafayette.
In 1844, Mr. Fowler was married to Miss Eliza Hawkins, a sister of Mrs. Adams Earl, and Mrs. Dr. Vanderbilt, and who survives him. The result of this marriage was three children--Mrs. Fred S. Chase, since deceased; Mrs. Charles H. Duhme, of Cincinnati; and Mr. James M. Fowler, of this city.
Mr. Fowler was a Republican in politics and served one term in the city council. Beyond that he did not seek political preferment. He was connected with the Second Presbyterian church and was one of the trustees of Wabash College. He was also a member of the Lincoln club.The funeral arrangements will be made today."
Mr. Fowler's name needs no mention to perpetuate it. The thriving little city in Benton County, the prosperous national bank of this city and the costly granite shaft in Springvale Cemetery will do that much more thoroughly than the press.
There were many things about Mr. Fowler's character to admire and he had many friends not only here but the country over. In point of wealth and influence he was the most important personage in the city and his death will be greatly felt.
Source: Obituary, Lafayette Morning Journal, August 21, 1889
Photo of Moses Fowler House by Adina Watkins Dyer
©1998-2014 Tippecanoe County
All rights reserved