Site Navigation


April 23, 1890 - Vernon Banner
    Abigail Ann Shuck, late wife of A. B. Shuck, died April 15th, at 1 o'clock a.m. of lung fever, at her home 1 1/2 miles east of San Jacinto.
    At a very early period in her life she obeyed the Scriptural injunction, "Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth," professed faith in her Savior and united with the Methodist church in Switzerland county. From this church she took a letter and united with the Methodist church at Rush Branch when it was first organized, at which place she remained a faithful member until death. Her life gave daily evidence that she was a true Christian. WHen her health permitted, she always filled her place among the attendants at religious services and in the Sabbath school. As wife mother, neighbor, Christian, she was sincere, conscientious and reliable. When near the close of life she was a great sufferer, but bore all with perfect resignation; she was ready for the summons when the Death Angel knocked, and met Him as a friend, not as an enemy. Her husband, three children and four brothers, who survive her, together with a large number of relatives and friends, feel the impress of her teachings and exemplary life. Deceased was aged 64 years, 4 months and 25 days. A large concourse of people followed the remains to their las resting place at Rush Branch church, where the funeral discourse was delivered by Rev. H. M. Elwyn, on Wednesday, April 16th at 2 p.m. Findagrave Link

We miss thee from our home, dear mother,
We miss thee from thy place,
A shadow o'er our life is cast,
We miss the sunshine of thy face.

We miss thy kind and willing hand,
Thy fond and earnest care,
Our home is dark without thee,
We miss thee everywhere.

How slender is life's silver cord,
How soon 'tis broken here,
Each moment brinds a parting word
And many a falling tear.

And though these years to mortals given
Are filled with grief and pain,
There is a hope-the hope of heaven
Where loved ones meet again.

July 31, 1901 - Vernon Journal
    Abraham B. Shuck was born in Switzerland county, Indiana, July 7, 1821, and died at his home in Jennings county Indiana, July 28, 1901, aged 80 years and 21 days. He was united in marriage to Abigail M. VanAntwerp Oct. 30th, 1845, who remained a faithful companion until her death, which occurred April 15th, 1890. To this union were born seven children-five sons and two daughters-of which three sons survive him. He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Mr. Sterling, Switzerland county Ind., in 1852, and became a charter member of Rush Branch M. E. Church, organized in 1858, remaing a faithful member until his death. Findagrave Link

His Brother Leland Also in a Serious Condition
    The friends of Arthur B. Shuck were greatly shocked Wednesday to learn that he was dead. The sad news came that he was dying was shortly followed by a telegram stating that he had died in a hospital at Omaha, Nebraska, of rheumatism affecting his heart.
    Arthur left here last summer for Colorado to work in a hardware store but he gave up his position and traveled over a good portion of the west. Learning that his brother Leland was dangerously ill with rheumatism at his home in Bigger township, Arthur started for home but he became too sick to get any farther than Ohaha, Nebraska, where he went to a hospital and died.
    He was 22 years of age and a member of the graduating class of the Vernon high school of "03" and was a bright, upright, honest young man.
    The remains will arrive here this evening at 5:55 o'clock and will be taken to his home in Bigger township.
    No arrangements have been made for the funeral.
    Leland, who has been exceedingly ill, is now suffering with his heart, the rheumatism having left him, and it is feared he will not be able to withstand the shock caused by his brother's death.
    Both the young men have taught school in this county. Findagrave Link

August 11, 1911 - North Vernon Sun
Claims Superintendent Leland Shuck
Was a Victim Of Typhoid Fever
End Came Early Sunday Morning
Death is Deeply Mourned Throughout The County-- A Tribute From Noblesville
    Leland Shuck, who two months ago was elected superintendent of schools of Jennings county died at his home in Vernon Sunday morning of Typhoid fever after an illness of eleven days.
    Buoyant and full of confidence he assumed the duties of the office the first week in June and at once began to plan for the future. He had already purchased a home and moved his family from Noblesville, Ind., where he taught school last winter. For the past three weeks he had been engaged in arranging for the coming teachers' institute and looking after the courses of studies for the various schools. He worked hard and at times denied himself the rest which was his. On Wednesday, July 36 he became ill and the next day was compelled to give up his work and ramain in his bed. He realized at once that his illness was serious so be placed his business affairs in the hands of his father, Ex-Auditor Wm. Shuck., and former superintendent of schools John Clerkin was asked to take charge of the county's school affairs.
    From the very beginning of Mr. Shuck's illness his close friends were alarmed and when the attending physician announced that he was afflicted with typhoid fever many a sigh was heard. He had had a brother to succumb from the same disease and besides his physical condition was against him. Although he was a perfect specimen of manhood he had at times poor health. Early last week his temperature rose to a great height and on Thursday of last week he became irrational and remained in this condition until the end.
    Tender care and kind hands did all that could be done for him but he could not rally. Saturday the household realized that the end was very near and all day long and into the early morning hours of Sunday a constant vigil was kept at the bedside. An anxious wife, parents and other close relatives watched, hoping against hope. When the end was very near a christian father knelt and offered up a fervent prayer. Then all was silent. Nearer and nearer the rider of the pale horse came, hovered around the death couch for a few moments, and as the last faint sounds of a distant clock striking the half hour had died away the spirit of Leland Shuck took its flight.
    His death is deeply mourned by numberless people. No more popular young man could be named and he had a bright future before him. He was graduated from the Vernon high school and from Indiana University and also attended the Indiana State Normal school at Terre Haute. He taught the Bigger township high school one term and at the time of his election to office of superintendent was teaching mathematics in the Noblesville high school.
    In August 1908 he married Miss Otha King, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. King of this city, who, with one sone, William Arthur, survives. The deceased was 28 years of age.
    The Funeral was held at the residence Monday at 12:30 o'clock and from the Rush Branch M. E. Church to which congregation the deceased belonged, at 2:40 p.m. The services were conducted by Rev. Jann.
    The pall bearers were: George P. Weedman, John Clerkin, Roy Hinchman, W. M. Nauer, Fred Fetter and Ralph Cotton.
    Leland E. Shuck was appointed head of the mathematic department of the Noblesville high school in the spring of 1909. During the two years he has held that position and it is putting it mildly to say that he filled this place in a highly satisfactory manner.
    Mr. Shuck's pleasant manner and upright life won many friends for him in Noblesville. He and his family were loved and respected by all who knew them. He was a great favorite among his pupils largely because of his fair dealing with them and his interest in their welfare. His teaching was far superior to that seen in the ordinary class room. In fact he was an artist in his profession.
    The pupils and patrons of the schools regretted to see him leave the schools but were interested in his advancement and felt that their loss meant a great gain to the boys and girls of Jennings county.
    Although Mr. Shuck's life in Noblesville was pleasant and happy because of his many friends, it was known to be his ambition to come back to the scenes of his boyhood and there carry on his school work. He was loyal to the old home and came back with joy and fond hopes for the future. We believe he would have made a great superintendent.-one of the very best in Indiana.
    His friends in Noblesville join with Jennings county in mourning his loss, and sympathize with the wife, his little boy, his father and mother, other relatives and his host of friends.
A. T. Lewark, Prin. 3rd Ward.
E. E. Stopher, Supt. Schools,
    Noblesville, Indiana Findagrave Link

    William A. Shuck was born in Mount Sterling, Switzerland county, Ind., March 21, 1849. He was the second son of a family of seven, the children of Abraham B. and Abigail A. Shuck, two grothers and one sister died in infancy, one sister, Ursula, lived until 1887, only two brothers of this family survive, John Henry Shuck of Franklin, Ind., and Peter Francis Shuck of North Vernon, Ind.
    He with his parents moved to Bigger township, Jennings county, Ind. Sept. 22, 1854, and has resided on the same farm ever since with the exception of shix years, which he spent in Vernon while serving as county treasurer and auditor.
    He was united in marriage to Sarah Emma Williams of Jefferson Co., Ind., Aug. 29m 1878, to this union were born five children: Leland, Arthur, Juliet, Ethel and Lucy.
    He leaves a wife, two daughters, Mrs. Juliet Vinson, Mrs. Ethel Sullivan, four grandchildren, William Arthur Shuck, William Francis Vinson, Shirley Vinson, Opal Sullivan and many other relatives and friends who mourn their loss. He was a devoted husband, a loving father, a kind and thoughtful grandfather and a true friend.
    He was always active in the affairs of the county often being called upon to fill positions of responsibility.
    He united with the M. E. church at Rush Branch after being soundly converted during a revival. The text that reached his soul was John 3:16 "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that who soever believeth on Him should not perish but have everlasting life", he always held firmly to the belief of his souls salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    He was always active, going about his farm daily until Sept. 14, 1924, when he suffered a stroke of paralysis, even then he would not give up his strength and faith made him strong to fight on, which he did joyfully even to the end, often signing some sacred song. As the end came nearer it was more and more noticable that he was to go to his final home in heaven. He departed this life Feb. 5, aged 75 years, 10 months and 15 days.

Father, the shadows fall
Along my way:
"Tis past the noon of day,Mbr> My westering sun tells that the eve is near;
I know, but I know, but feel no fear.
And loved ones have gone home-A holy band.
I hear them call me from the spirit land- A gentle call,
Yes, dear one, I shall come.

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and