sp;Chambers, James Gardner and Philo Stoddard have formed a joint stock
company for the manufacture of pure bone dust.
J. D. Hudson will move temporarily to a house near his
Mr. Arbuckle, of Hardenburg, visited over Sunday at Mr. Jacob
Harvey Wiggem has moved from Paris to his farm in
Mrs. Shepherd and Mrs. Claypool, of Veron, were
visiting in this place last Saturday.
Mr. T. J. Murphy has sold
his farm in this township and started with his family for Kansas.
Nancy Shepherd, of this place commenced teaching school in Lovett twp. this
The Union Sunday School picnic held at Eli Wells' grove was
largely attended and greatly enjoyed.
E. S. Wilson and S. M. Fish
have put up a telegraph line from their house to the railroad depot. They are
Dr. J. M. Lefeber, late of Kentucky, had bouth the
Billy Deputy in Paris, and will soon locate there and pracice
This place seems to be a kind of general hospital, as every
house contains one or mare patients. There has been three deaths in the last few
Our old friend Joe Glendenning and family have come back
to us, and Joe says he has come to stay, although the Ohio folks treated him
well while among them--some 8 or 10 years.
A man by the name of
Seamen, from Chestnut Ridge, will soon locate here and engage in
buying timber to ship. Mr. T. Hudson, of this place, who has had large
experience in buying timber and handling lumber, will co-operate with
Mr. W. Hutton, of this place, shipped six
car loads of chairs and chair stuff last week.
Mr. R. M. River expects
to move to Indianapolis soon. He has a sale to day to dispose of his
Mr. Charles Trickey spent Saturday and Sunday
with his friends here. He is now working at the carpenter business in
Mr. H. R. Weeks has completed his work on the new
railroad in Kentucky, and is at home looking after his agricultural interests
for the present.
Mr. James McGinty has
had a short telegraph line put to his house from the drug store.
slate roof has been finished on J. L. Kendricks barn. On one side is "1881" on
the opposite his initials "J.L.K."
The express train going west
Saturday mangled a cow, the property of Heman Force so badly that she had to be
J. L. Kendrick has moved into his building in town to stay
over winter, then he contemplates moving back to his Summer residence east of
Zenas is an old town, situated on the west
bank of the Muscatatuck river, twelve miles northeast of the heart of the
world and is the capital of Columbia township.
We have two
general stores, two blacksmith shops and two doctors.
Elliott, who was sheriff of our county in 1852, lives near here. He is 81 years
old and is in good health.
The Baptists have a meeting house at
this place, and Jarvis Gorbitt is pastor. This is the only church in Columbia
The Grangers have a lodge three miles west of here. It
is reported to be in a flourishing condition.
Miss Rosette Galloway
will teach the school here this winter.
residence of the bride's parents, on October 4th, by Rev. J. C. Burt, Mr. James
H. Tobias to Miss Olive Donham.
On the 4th inst., by Rev. J. Q.
McKeehan, Mr. Charles H. Young to Miss Mollie M. Shepherd.
2nd inst., by Wallie Deputy, Esq., at the residence of Eli Wells, Mr. Sard
Byfield to Miss Mary Blake.
At Fairbury, Ills, on the 2nd
inst., Mr. Charles Wesley Deputy to Miss Almira E.
Mrs. Emily A. James, wife of Enoch James, was
born in Indiana, October 14th, 1819, and after a painful illness of some four or
five weeks of typhoid fever, she died October 1st, 1881, aged almost 62 years.
She was a kind and affectionate wife and mother and leaves five children--two
sons and three daughters--and quite a nuber of grand children to mourn her
death. She joined the Methodist church at the age of 14 years and was a faithful
member till her death. The bereaved husband and children have our warmest
sympathy in this hour of deepest
S. E. J. NORTH VERNON PLAIN DEALER
September 2, 1885
DIED,---On the morning of August 26th, 1885, at his residence midway between
Scipio and Queensville, James Connell, in the 40th year of his
Though quite young to endure the hardships of the life of a
common soldier, yet at our country's call for help in her time of need,
he enlisted in Company I, 93d Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and did faithful
service untill the close of the rebellion. While in the army he contracted a
disease from which he never recovered; it preyed upon him unrelentingly until
the last "taps" were sounded, and then for him the light was gently put out and
he laid down in that peaceful sleep only to be wakened by a grander reveille
than can be sounded by earthly bugle. Through all the long years of his
suffering he was cheerful, hopeful and uncomplaining, and bore his affliction
with courage known only to the true and brave. Notice of an increase of his
pension arrived on the morning of his death--too late to cheer his heart by the
generosity of our Government. He was a good citizen, well liked by all his
neighbors, and was a kind husband and father. He left a wife and five small
children who have the sympathy of the entire community. The last sad rites were
performed at the Presbyterian church in Scipio by Rev. Gilcrist, assisted by
Rev. John Richardson. His remains were interred in the new graveyard at Scipio.
May the broad mantle of charity cover all the faults he may have had, and
love and charity be extended to his widow and helpless
NORTH VERNON PLAIN DEALER
November 24, 1881
Adopted by Surviving Members of the Sixth Indiana
Volunteer Infantry, at a meeting held in City Hall at North Vernon, Jennings
county, Indiana, on the 19th day of November, 1881.
The organization shall be known as the Society of
the Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
The purpose of this Society shall be.
preserve the memories and foster the friendship of its members by meetings,
banquets, or celebrations held under its auspices. 2d. On the death of a
member to attend, as far as practicable, his funeral and render assistance if
necessary. 3d. To aid in perpetuating the National Decoration
Any honorably discharged
member of the 6th Indiana Volunteer Infantry may become a member of this Society
by applying to the Secretary, or signing those articles in a register to be kept
and preserved by the Secretary.
officers of this Society shall consist of a President, two Vice-Presidents,
Secretary and Treasurer, all of whom shall be elected at each annual meeting and
serve until their successors are chosen.
ARTICLE V--DUTIES OF
The duties of the officers shall be those that usually
devolve upon similar positions.
The Secretary shall keep a record of
the proceedings of the meetings, a list addresses of the members, and
obtain as far as possible the names and residence of members of the regiment and
notify them by mail or otherwise of meetings of the Society, and to this end it
shall be the duty of any member changing his place of residence to notify
the Secretary of his new address.
meetings shall be held at such time and places as may have been determined by
vote of the Society at any regular meeting for the election of officers.
Special meetings may be called by the Secretary on the order of the President,
by sending postal notices to the registered members. Ten members shall
constitute a quorum.
On the death of any
member of the Society it shall be the duty of the Secretary after
receiving information thereof as to time and place of
The articles may be amended
by a majority vote at any regular meeting of the
Hall, North Vernon, Jennings County, Indiana, Nov. 19,
The Society of the 6th Indiana Infantry met
pursuant to notice, with Col. H. Tripp, President, in the
The Society for the purpose of effecting a more
permanent organization, by the adoption of a constitution and by-laws, proceeded
to that work, when the foregoing constitution was unanimously
The Society then went into the election of officers
with following result:
Col. H. Tripp, President; B.
M. Hutchins and Dr. W. A. Collins, Vice President; Lewis H. Hill,
Secretary, and P. C. McGannon, Treasurer.
On motion, the
following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted.
WHEREAS:--The Sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry occupied a central
position in the line of battle at Chicamauga, on Saturday and Sunday,
September 19th and 20th, 1863, holding position on the left center under
General (Pap) Thomas, being in P. P. Baldwin's Brigade, of Gen. R. Johnson's
Division, while being no better soldiers and doing our duty no better than
comrades of our own and other commands, were perhaps more fortunate than many
others in being able to hold our position in the line each day of the battle,
and moving then only on orders from superior officers. Whereas: The landmarks of
the battle lines are fast fading out, by a dense forest of undergrowth and the
changes constantly going on upon a wooded plain destitute of marked
topographical features. To such extent have those changes taken place that
it is with great difficulty that the position of any given command can be
determined. And whereas: With a hope of aiding our comrades of other
commands in the line to locate their positions, and to mark the ground on
which we stood on Sunday the 20th day of September, 1863, and to perpetuate the
memory of our gallant comrades who gave their lives that our country might live,
therefore be it; Resolved,
That we the surviving
members of the Sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteers will, with the aid of our
friends, erect a stone monument of such proportions as our funds will permit,
with such inscription as may be deemed necessary and proper.
That in order to carry to a successful conclusion the
foregoing resolution, the following committee are hereby
1st. Committee of Finance, consisting of the
following: Gen. R. W. Johnson, of St. Paul, Minn., Gen. T. T.
Crittenden, of Washington, D. C., Dr. W. A. Collins and Capt. W. E. McClelland,
of Madison, Ind., Henry C. Miller, of Newbern, Ind., Capt. James Simpson, of
Bennington, Ind., William Lyon, of Indianapolis, B. M. Hutchins, of Columbus,
Ind., Capt. C. R. Van Trees, of Washington, Ind., Capt. S. F. Finney, of New
Albany, Ind., L. H. Hill, and B. F. Hargrove, of North Vernon, A. G. Cotton, of
Vernon, C. C. Bryant of Versailles, Ind., and Jefferson Huffman, of Burnsville,
Ind., whose duty it shall be to collect funds and forward the same to the
Secretary of the Society, together, with the names of the donors to be spread
upon the record.
2nd. Committee on monument and
subscription, consisting of Col. H. Trip, L. H. Hill, W. H. Boyd, Dr. W. A.
Collins, and Jefferson Huffman, who shall have charge of obtaining such stone
and inscription as deemed necessary, and the erection of the
4rd. Committee on Transportation and Excustion, consisting
of Chas. D. Shank, David Overmyer, S. M. Wilson, W. S. Prather and A. A. Tripp
of North Vernon, and William Will, of Versailles, A. J. Grayson and Dr. W.
A. Collins, of Madison, Wm. A. Lyon and Ed McDevitt, of Indianapolis, Josiah
Andrews and Dr. S. H. Charlton, of Seymour, B. M. Hutchins, of Columbus,
and A. G. Cotton, of Vernon, whose duty it shall be to secure the necessary
transportation and to induce as many of the friends of the regiment to accompany
the excursion to the battlefields they can, and to aid in making the
trip as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
That the committee on finance be requested to report to
the Secretary on or before the 1st of January, 1882, the amount subscribed, and
that they collect and forward the same by the 1st of February next
with the subscription papers. Resolved,
the survivors of the 6th Regiment who desire membership in this Society are
requested at once to forward their names and post-office address to the
That the several newspapers in
counties where companies were recruited for the 6th Regiment be and they
are hereby requested to publish the proceedings of this meeting, and the
Secretary see that copy be furnished them.
the Society adjourned to meet on call of the Secretary by order of the
You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and