Site Navigation

Our Neighbor to the North
The Community around
Decatur County, IN

Since County lines did not stop families from settling in an area, many people who lived in Jennings County also had family in areas within easy traveling distance. This is true of many folks from northern Jennings County. I was very fortunate to be loaned a book by my pharmacist Mr. Ted Bovard, when I lived in Indianapolis, IN. I have copied it and put as much of it as I could here for your information. Ted's family includes, Bovard and Clarkson surnames.
The History of Westport
George A. Cann

Early Settlers Near Westport
    At a treaty completed at Grouseland, near Vincennes, August 21, 1805, certain chiefs and warriors of the Deleware, Potowatamie, Miami, Eel River and Wea tribes ceded to the United States their territory running southeast of the line running northeasterly from a point about 57 miles due east from Vincennes, so as to strike the general boundary line (running from a point opposite the mouth of the Kentucky River to Fort Recovery, Ohio) at the distance of fifty miles from the commencement of the Ohio River.
    The land in Jennings, Ripley, Switzerland, Dearborn, Ohio and Jefferson Counties was included in this "Grouseland Purchase". The Indians left this purchase much earlier than the territories embraced in the surrounding counties.
    The northern boundary of the Grouseland Purchase serves as the boundary line between southeastern Decatur County and Jennings County and runs in a northeasterly direction, passing through a point near the old iron bridge over Sand Creek (on Range Line Road) about three miles south of Westport. It passes just south of Millhousen to a point on the north side of Batesville, Indiana, and from there due east to the Ohio State line.
    The first permanent settlers came to Ripley County in 1814. The first permanent settlers in Jennings County came in the year 1815, some members of the Stott family settled near Vernon in 1816 and gradually worked their way nothward to Westport several years later (about 1841).
    The Armstrong family settled east of Westport, on Sandcreek in the spring of 1821; John Holmes and his sons - John, James and Thomas; Samuel Stevens; Robert Courtney; and John Bagley also settled in 1821.
    A little farther north but still in Sandcreek Township, Nathanial Robbins and John Robbins also settled in 1821.
    Daniel Meridith came from Kentucky in 1825; Wren Grayson and family came from Tennessee in 1827; and the Felix Boicourt family came from Clark County, Indiana in 1830.
    During the next ten years many other people settled or came to live in this area. Several of the family names are given below.
Abbott Deweese Larmore/Larimore Shultz
Amick Draper Latshaw Singleton
Argadine Eddleman Laughlin Spraught
Barker Elkins Longnecker Stafford
Barnes Evans Magee Talkington
Belt Fredenburgh Maddock Thomas
Biddinger Freeland Maddox Thurston
Black Fugate McClain Toppas
Bowley Gentry Merrick Twaddle
Braden Glass Merryman Tyner
Brinker Grubbs Myers Upjohn
Brown Hamilton Miller Vandusen
Brundridge Hankins Moncrief Vantreese
Caldwell Hardy Moore Washford
Cann Harry Nelson Watts
Chambers Harvey Oldham Weathers
Childers Hobbs Owens Welch
Chrisman Hooten Petree Whitlow
Cole Hyde Porter Willeford
Cooper Jacobs Retherford Williams
Culp Jones Stott Williamson
Cummins Keith Scripture Yeames
DeArmond Krewson Sharp Young

    After 1821, there was a steady stream of settlers into this area. As the years passed, there was an increasing need for local markerts; the nearest towns were Greensburg and Vernon.
    There were at least two areas of concentrated population besides the one where the town was finally located. There were many people living in the Horseshoe Bend area along Sandcreek. This is believed to be the earliest "community" in the area, dating from about 1821. It was concentrated in an area roughly one mile square starting somewhere near the location of the Old Wooden Bridge and extending about a mile to the north, and about a half mile either side of Sandcreek.
    The other concentration of population, not as large as the Horseshoe Bend Community, grew up along Wyaloosing Creek (carelessly called Wynoose) just west of the present town of Westport. The very earliest word-of-mouth reports reveal the existance of a road up along the west side of Wyaloosing Creek, starting at a point just west of the present bridge west of town.
    Wyaloosing is an Indian name, and one of the few to survive in this area.
    Lewis C. Stott, who was born in 1815, told John C. Cann (his grandson) that this road was already in existance in 1827. Lewis Lunsford Stott, father of Lewis C. Stott had borrowed a farm implement or tool from a man who lived along Wyaloosing. Mr. Stott lived in the northern part of Jennings County. When he was ready to return the implement, his Lewis Stott, then about twelve years of age, persuaded his father to let him return the implement instead. His father agreed, and started the boy on his trip with a team of oxen and an ox cart. The oxen were slow, and the trip took a long time. After he had returned the borrowed tool, and was about one-third of the way home, darkness was coming on, and a wolf started following at a distance behind the oxen. Lewis prodded the oxen on, and this helped but little. The wolf came closer and closer, and when the boy had reached the point of not knowing what to do, his father called to him. The wolf ran off into the woods. The father had realized that the trip would be a long time, and that nightfall would probably overtake Lewis. So, he had walked down the "road" to meet him.
    This word-of-mouth report was given by John C. Cann to George Cann, and is offered as reasonable verification that the road along Wyaloosing Creek was already in existance in 1827. Also, the earliest maps show the existance of this road.
    To the south of Westport, just north of Sandcreek, and west of the Range Line Road, where Bill and Mable Robbins now live, the Wren Grayson, family which came from Tennessee, settled in 1827. To the west of the Grayson family, the family of Felix Boicourt settled around 1830, along Millstone Creek.
    As is evidenced by the accounts above, most early settlers preferred to settle along streams. The streams helped to drain the land and to let it dry out more quickly than the flat land farther from the streams. Crops could be planted earlier and grew faster than they would have grown on the poorly drained soils. Also, the streams provided power for sawmills, grist mills, carding mills, ets., as well as water for livestock.
    For as long as fifteen years, some of these settlers had to travel to Greensburg or Vernon. or to some other town farther to the east for their necessary provisitons. The need and desirablility of establishing a local trading center or town became evident.

    The town of Westport was founded on March 23, 1836, by Simeon Sharp and Hockersmith Merryman. Merryman owned forty acres north of what is now Main Street, and Sharp owned eighty acres north of what is now Main Street, and Sharp owned eighty acres south of Main Street. Each man measured off ten lots--Merryman laid off lots #1-10 on the north side of the street, and Sharp laid off lots #11-20 on the south side. Together they entered the original plat of Westport, containing twenty lots in all.
    It is surprising that neither man had owned his land very long. Hockersmith Merryman entered his forty acres from the government on January 19, 1835. Simeon Sharp purchased his land from the government on January 15, 1836, just a little more than two months before he laid off his lots. The going price for government land in those days was $1.25 per acre.
    For some reason, Mr. Sharp sold most of his lots first. Between June 4, 1836, and September 27, 1837, he had sold eight of his ten lots at a total price of $65.25. Mr. Merryman sold five of his ten lots between March 1, 1837, and October 16, 1838, for a total price of $33.15.
    These prices seem awfully low today, but Mr. Sharp paid only $100.00 for his entire eighty acres, and Mr. Merryman paid only $50.00 for his forty acres. So they actually made a pretty good profit from the sale of their lots.
    An article which appeared in The Westport Courier-Independent newspaper on Febrary 9, 1905, reveals much of the early development of Westport. This article was narrated to the editor, Carl Shafer, by George Boicourt, who was nearly ninety years of age at the time.
Below is the article:
    "In 1832-34 we began to clear up these lands, but we were too far from market. Our nearest stores were at Greensburg and Vernon.
    In 1836, Simeon Sharp and Hockersmith Merryman laid out Westport. They sold a few lot, three log huts were built, and a Mr. (Wm.) Shultz opened a small store which he sold in a short time to Richard Belt.
    The first frame building erected was the Gidding's shop, and was erected by Mr. (Wm.) Shultz. The next frame building was erected by Noah Merryman. In this (were) kept a few groceries and plenty of whiskey. John Cann erected the third frame building and opened a dry goods store."
    The store (built of logs) which Mr. Boicourt refers to was built on either lot #8, across the street north of the post office, or lot #17, the next lot east of Anderson's store.
    It turns out that Mr. William Shultz owned both lots, and that Richard H. Belt acquired both lots later on, at about the same time. A missing deed may have held the secret as to which lot was actually the site of the first store building. Some futere historian might find some clues in the language of the court records of the September term of the Court for the year 1837.
    A record book kept by John Cann in connection with his wagon shop and store confirms the existence of this first store. The record shows that in March, 1839, John Cann charged the account of R.H. Belt in the amount of $2.25 for "repairing grocery".
    Richard H. Belt was born in Baltimore and was a merchant at Westport when he was appointed consul to Mexico by President Tyler in 1843. He was stationed at Metamoras, Mexico, but died there a year later of the yellow fever. He had come to Decatur County for Baltimore with his brother, Thomas.

    George Cann states (Note: The following section - Family Histories - includes family names that fall into two catagories: (1) Families whose members settled in or near Westport at an early date and have descendents who have remained until the present: and (2) Families with members who are well-known for particular reason, such as business interests, occupations , or simply because the family had some connection of historical interest.
    There were many other families such as the DeArmonds and Williamsons which deserve fully as much attention as the others, but were not included because the information is scarce and would have taken too much time to collect. Some of these accounts include many dates, while others do not. All should be considered of equal importance, and should be recognized for the contributions which they make here.)

    Mr. and Mrs. James Armstrong I migrated from Butler County, Ohio, to Indiana in the spring of 1821, where they settled in Sandcreek Township on Sand Creek, about two miles east of the area which was to become the town of Westport some fifteen years later (1836).
    Records show that James Armstrong I entered his eighty acres of land December 12, 1829. The government had come to recognize "squatters rights", which meant that if a family moved onto a piece of land, cleared some of it, built a home on it, and lived there, then that family would have a right to buy the land before it was offered for sale to anyone else, providing the purchase was made at the time the government offered the land for sale.
    Whether Mr. Armstrong exercised squatters' rights or whether he was just fortunate that no one else purchased the land ahead of him is not known. But the family did live on the land for about eight years before purchasing it.
    Children of Mr. and Mrs. James Armstrong were: Robert; James II; William; Sallie (Barnes); Jane (Singleton); Mary (Falkenberg); Rebecca (Boicourt); and Elizabeth (Longnecker). The father died soon after coming to Sandcreek Township, and the children were reared in a rude pioneer cabin which had been built a short distance north of the spot where the old wooden bridge was to be built some fifty-nine years later (1880).
    Robert Armstrong was born in 1817, and was brought by his parents to Sandcreek Township when he was not yet four years old. Robert grew up under true pioneer circumstances and married Rebecca Jane Hamilton, who was born in 1818. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Armstrong settled on a farm near Letts, and later moved to near Westport, and by the time of the Civil War, had become very successful on their farms.
    Robert Armstrong served for many years as a justice of the peace, and two terms as township trustee. He was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge at Westport. On December 3, 1859, he purchased the old DeArmond Brothers Hotel in Westport (lot #9) and on a portion of the lot on which the hotel stood, built a large dry goods store which he operated in partnership with William M. (Doc) McCullough. They operated this store until it was destroyed by fire, along with several other buildings, on Tuesday, August 13, 1872.
    On August 28, 1872, Mr. Armstrong and Mr. McCullough purchased lot #82 in John Cann's first addition to Westport, and built a large two-story brick building and continued their grocery business. They remained in partnereship until, shortly before Mr. Armstrong's death, he sold his interest in the store to Mr. McCullough in September, 1878.
    Robert and Rebecca Armstrong were the parents of six children; James W.; John H.; Oliver P.; George W.; Alfred M.; and Francis D. Armstrong.
    After the death of his first wife, Robert Armstrong was married to Eliza Jane McDonald, and they became the parents of three children: Robert F.; Mary Jane (Harding); and Louisa Helen (Updike).
    Alfred M. Armstrong was born November 17, 1851, and received his education in the district schools in his neighborhood. He helped his father, Robert, with his farm work until his father's death in 1878. He was married to Hettie M. Dixon on July 4, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Armstrong became the parents of ten children: Dewitt Talmage; Roxina; Cassius Dixon; Forrest Eugene; Grant Leland; Oakleigh; Lotus Lowell; Winifred; and twins Mary Elma and Martha Elva.
    Alfred Armstrong carried on general farming and stock raising operations on a large scale, and at one time was a major stockholder in the First National Bank of Westport.
    It is ironic, but very appropriate, that the center of population of the United States in 1890 was determined to be situated on the farm owned by Alfred M. Armstrong, which was only about two miles north of the land his grandfather, James Armstrong I, had settled nearly seventy years earlier, in 1821, and who had been one of the first pioneers to settle in this area. The tide of imigration had taken a route almost identical to that taken by the James Armstrong family.
    The center of population monument was placed on its base on Friday, May 8, 1891, and dedicated the following Sunday, May 10, 1891.
    Francis D. Armstrong was born March 15, 1847, and received his education in the country schools of his neighborhood. On February 10, 1887, Mr. Armstrong was married to Martha Ellen Morgan who was born in Sandcreek Township in 1866. Their children were: Leo, Francis Shirley, and Howard Ward. Mr. Armstrong was a successful farmer, and owned a good farm near Westport.
    In his later years, he became interested in banking, and became president of the First National Bank of Westport, Indiana, in 1908.
    On February 3, 1866, James Armstrong II was married to Eliza Jane McCammon Grayson. To this couple were born four children: James M., Robert O., Mrs. J. S. Fuller, and Mrs. W. E. Baker.
    James Armstrong II was the father of Robert Armstrong, who was well known in northern Jennings County as well as the Fredonia neighborhood. Robert Armstrong was the father of Olin Armstrong, who now resides at Vernon, Indiana.
    Olin Armstrong has several children and grandchildren who also reside in Jennings County.
    Miss Winifred Armstrong now lives in Greensburg, Indiana.
    A history of Westport that did not include an account of the Armstrong family would not be complete. The account given here is not adequate, but no one can really describe what the family must have endured in those early times when the children were very young - just babies, really - and the nearest town was nearly twenty miles away; the neighbors were few; and it was a three-days' trip back to Ohio.

    John Mavy Boicourt, of the Protestant faith, sailing from France, destined for America, left behind his native land, many friends and two brothers who were Catholic Priests. He landed in Georgetown, South Carolina, on April 19, 1777. On this voyage he acted as a sergeant with General Lafayette's army, a part of his duties being to care for the sick and dying. This was the first of Lafayette's four visits to America. On this first visit, Lafayette assisted George Washington in the American Revolutionary War.
    After the war ended, John Mavy Boicourt married, but his wife's name is not known. To the couple were born five sons: Samuel, who migrated to Illinois; Thomas, who migrated to Kansas; and Silas and Felix, both of whom migrated to Indiana.
    At age twenty, Felix Boicourt migrated from Virginia to Pennsylvania, settling near Pittsburg where he married Anna Elliot of Puritan ancestry, who had migrated from Massachusetts to Virginia and later to Pennsylvania. From Pennsylvania they migrated to Kentucky and settled near Louisville. It is said that they, in company with others floated down the Ohio River in search of a place for settlement. They landed where Cincinnati now stands, but decided that the location was not suitable to their purpose.
    From Louisville, the Felix Boicourt family crossed the Ohio River to Clark County, Indiana, in 1812, four years before the Indiana Territory was admitted to the Union as a state.
    In 1830, they moved from Clark County to Decatur County and settled land a half mile south of Harper (three and one-half miles southwest of Westport) on the banks of a stream which later came to be known as Millstone. Here the Boicourts built a small grist mill. The millstones cut from the limestone of the creek bed gave the stream it present name of Millstone Creek.
    Felix and Anna Boicourt were the parents of nine children: Absalom, William, Enoch George, David, James, Isabella, Julia, Christiana, and Ruth. All lived to their eightieth year, and some of them lived past the age of ninety.
    Felix Boicourt was a preacher in the United Brethern Church; he was also a farmer and miller. He worked for himself six days a week and preached on Sunday. One of his sons (Absalom) and a daughter (Christiana) organized the Millstone Class, which is now Fredonia, and two other sons, David and George, organized a classs at the Horseshoe Bend Baptist Church which class later grew into the Mapleton Brethern Church.
    Felix Boicourt died February 28, 1842, at the age of sixty-two years. Anna, his wife, died in 1853 at the age of sixty-five years. Both were buried in the old Eddleman Cemetery, which is situated on the Clyde Pearcy farm about two miles southwest of Westport.
    George Boicourt, third son of Felix Boicourt was born in Clark County, August 25, 1816. He was married to Rebecca Armstrong on November 14, 1844. There were no children. He was later married to Ann (Washington) Mitchell, February 14, 1858. To them were born six children, but four of them died in infancy. The surviving children were Filmore M. and Alfred S. Boicourt.
    David Boicourt, also a son of Felix Boicourt, was born June 23, 1822, and married Mary Jane Holmes (also a member of a pioneer family) on March 18, 1847. To them were born seven children, one of whom died in infancy. The first born was Aaron, then Zacharias, Catherine, Enoch George, William and Rebecca.
    Both Aaron and Zack became excellent drummers. Aaron was a tenor drummer and Zack a bass drummer; their brother, George, played the fife. The trio played for many patriotic occasions in the neighborhood. Also, Zack achieved local fame for his role in reorganizing the old settlers' meeting which met in a grove on his farm for many years.
    Charles Boicourt is the son of Ira Felix and Lucretia M. Stearns Boicourt. Other children of Ira Felix Boicourt were Leslie, Gladys, Earl, and Velma.
    Ira F. Boicourt was the son of John E. and Sophronia Sharp; John E. Boicourt was the son of Absalom and Rebecca Holmes Boicourt; and Absalom Boicourt was a son of Frlix and Anna Boicourt.
    Mr. and Mrs. Charles Boicourt now reside on their farm south of Westport.

    John Cann (August 17, 1807 - May 9, 1894) and Catharine Storms (September 13, 1814 - March 18, 1891) were married before coming to Westport. While living in Butler County, Ohio, their first child, Eliza Jane, was born September 17, 1836, but died in infancy.
    They moved to Westport in November, 1838, after settling up their business affairs in Ohio. John Cann had operated a wagon shop and general store in Ohio, and immediately set up a wagon shop on his arrival in Westport, seven more children were born to this couple. They were George Washington (July 15, 1840); Jacob Storms (February 14, 1842); Joanna Storms (July 12, 1844); Sylvester Storms (February 8, 1846); Samuel Clayton (May 25, 1848); Annaretta (December 12, 1850; and John Milton (April 24, 1853).
    Around 1843, John Cann built a larger store on lot #16 where Anderson's Grocery now stands. He had a store in the front, and lived in the other rooms. This building is still standing just south of Anderson's Store.
    On February 28, 1848, John Cann purchased the remainder of the land previously owned by Hockersmith Merryman. The land had been transferred from Hockersmith Merryman to Noah Merryman and from Noah Merryman to William P. Stevens, who sold it to Mr. Cann. At the time Mr. Cann bought the land, only the first ten lots in the orginal plat had been sold from the tract.
    Recognizing the demand for more lots, he opened his first addition to Westport, which consisted of forty lots, on July 13, 1848. The very next year, the second Cann addition, containing thirty lots, was platted on September 3, 1849.
    On July 22, 1852. Mr. Cann purchased a second forty-acre tract which was situated just north of his other land. After selling his store to John Conwell on April 23, 1850, he decided to build a new brick house on the second forty-acre tract. He built the house in 1852, from bricks which were made on his own land.
    On September 19, 1859, John Cann purchased a store building from Rebecca Roberts, and at that time or a short time earlier, he purchased the stock from the dry goods store of William M. McCullough. At some time shortly thereafter, he operated the store as a general store. This building was located where the Westport Hardware now stands (on the east half of loot #10) and was destroyed in the fire which occurred during the night and early morning of August 12th and 13th, 1872. The building wa replaced sometime during the 1870's, and Mr. Cann, assisted by his sons George W., and Sam, continued to operate the store until about 1890, when John suffered a disabling stroke of paralysis.
    A few years before his illness struck him, John built the storeroom which stands on lot #81 (just north of the water tower) for his son, Jacob Storms Cann, but Jacob died as a young man and never operated the store.
    Throughout her lifetime, Catherine Cann had been a true helpmate to her husband, John. Her task of raising seven children was not an easy one. Her husband often sought her advice, and respected her opinion once she had given it.
    Catherine Cann took care of her husband for about a year during his illness, but died before he did (1891). He died in 1894 at the age of eighty-six, after being bedfast for four long years.
    Jacob Storms Cann spent several years in Texas, but returned to Westport, where he died. He was never married.
    Sylvester Cann graduated from Hartsville College and worked his way to Washington State as a land surveyor for the government. He remained in Washington, and died there. He was never married.
    Joanna Storms Cann was married to Isom T. McCammon. This couple became the parents of seven children: Brook, Jim, Carl, Bert, John, Clyde, and Tom McCammon. Joanna McCammon died early in life, and the children were reared by their father.
    Samuel Clayton Cann was a storekeeper in Westport throughout his lifetime. He worked for many years with his father, then for himself, and was finally in partnership with Ed Davis for about ten years. He was married but had no children.
    Annaretta Cann was married to Samuel DeArmond. To this couple, two children were born: Minnie and Carrie DeArmond. The girls also had a half-brother, Otto DeArmond.
    John Milton Cann was born in the brick house which his father built in 1852. He lived almost ninety-two years in the same house, and died (in 1941) in the house in which he was born. He was married to Elizabeth Dale, and they had one daughter, Cora, who was married to Carvel Underwood.
    George W. Cann was married to Mary Ellen Stott (October 6, 1843 - October 3, 1928) who was the daughter of L. C. Stott, and a sister to Willliam T. Stott. This couple became the parents of three children: Alice Gertrude (January 14, 1871 - July 17, 1923); Jacob Frederick (November 14, 1873 - November 26, 1950); and John C. Cann (November 11, 1877 - July 31, 1960). Getrude and Jacob F. (Jake) Cann were never married. Gertrude Cann was a milliner and followed this line of work for years. During her career, she worked in some of the larger cities in Indiana and Illinois.
    In 1895, Jacob F. and John C. Cann purchased the land were George Cann and his family now live. The Canns farmed in partnership for fifty-five years. Jacob (Jake) was a very good stonecutter, and worked at that profession for twelve years until 1904, at which time he devoted his full attention to the farming operation. John C. (Jack) Cann worked in the stone quarry of Oliver H. Stout and Melvin Sample from the time he was thirteen years old until he was seventeen years old. He quit his job at the quarry when the family moved to the farm in 1895. Shortly after the partnership was formed in 1895, the two established a joint checking account under the name "Cann Brothers", which they maintained for more than fifty years until the death of Jacob Cann in 1950. They were partners from the beginning, and they were partners until the end.
    The Canns engaged in general farming and raised good shorthorn cattle. The were recognized by their neighbors as being good farmers.
    In 1929 John Christopher Cann was married to Marjorie Ellen Small, who was born on February 18, 1908. Ellen is the daughter of Thomas Jeffry Small (December 21, 1860 - December 30, 1928) and Edith Ricketts (October 2, 1869 - January 8, 1945). Thomas Jeffry Small was the son of Edward and Anne Small, and Edith Ricketts was the daughter of Andrew and Caroline Ricketts.
    To this couple were born four children: Mary, George, Lucinda (Rosie) and Ruth Cann.
    Mary is married to Arvis Hampton, who is a foreman at the Cummins Engine Company. He also established his own business in Westport, which is known as the Hampton Processing Company. The Hamptons live on a farm southwest of Westport, and have two children, Richard and Carmen Hampton. Richard is married to Karen Knight.
    George is married to Donna Wiley, and the couple has two daughters, Jill and Beth Cann. George attended Indiana University and received a Bachelors Degree with majors in Mathematics and Physics, and a Masters Degree in Education. Donna recived a Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education from Hanover College, and a Masters Degree in Education from Indiana University. Both have taught for a few years in public schools. George Cann is now self-employed.
    Lucinda is married to David Armand, who is employed at the Cummins Engine Company. The Armands own a farm south of North Vernon, Indiana, and have five children: Adora, Jake, Davie, Ellen Ruth, and Cindy. Adora has completed two semesters at Franklin College, and Jake works in North Vernon. Lucinda is the head cook at the Graham Creek Elementary School in Jennings County.
    Ruth is married to Gene Clarkson, who is employed at the Cummins Engine Company. They have two children, Christopher and Bennet Clarkson. Chris, who is a senior, is employed at Anderson's Grocery. The Clarksons live about one and one-half miles southwest of Westport.
    Ellen Cann lives on East Main Street in Westport, and works on a part-time basis for the Hampton Processing Company.

     Dr. John Conwell was born in Ireland in 1815. He came from Ireland to Indiana in the late 1830's, and after establishing his practice in Westport returned to Ireland for his bride, Mary (1915 - 1889). When they returned to this country, Mary brought with her some dishes of Dutch design which are still in the family. Dr. Conwell owned several pieces of property in the Westport community, and on April 23, 1850, purchased a house from John Cann for $450.00 which stood on the corner where Anderson's Grocery now stands. The house was moved to the south of the store in 1913 or 1914 and still stands. It is said to have a log sapling framework. It is understood to have served as both a residence and the doctor's office, which was the custom of the times.
     John and Mary Conwell had four children: Catherine, Mary Jane, Sarah Elizabeth, and James T. Conwell. Catherine was born in 1845, and married Dr. Francis M. Daily who was born in Ireland in 1842. Francis Daily died in 1908, and Catherine died in 1927. Mary Jane Conwell was born in 1847 and died in 1923. She was married to George W. Hamilton, who was born in 1837 and died in 1899. Sarah Elizabeth Conwell, known as Lizzie, was born in 1854 and died in 1923. Her husband was John N. Carder, who was born in 1850 and died in 1930. James T. Conwell, the first railroad agent in Westport, was born in 1848 and died in 1887. His wife was Mary Jane Armstrong, who was born in 1857 and died in 1938.
     James T. and Mary Jane Conwell had two children: James Lyle, who was born on May 20, 1882, and died in February, 1936: and Frank Conwell, who was born in April, 1884, and died in February, 1918.
     James T. died when James Lyle Conwell was five years old. Mary Jane Armstrong Conwell was then married in 1899 to Mathew D. Harding. Mr. Harding was born in March, 1867, and died in October, 1930. They had one son, M.D. Harding, Jr., who was born in 1900.
     James Lyle Conwell was raised in Westport. He graduated from Business College in Indianapolis. In January, 1906, he married Margaret Denton, born in November, 1884 and who was a school teacher from Zenas, Indiana. They were married at the Court House at Vernon, Indiana. He then graduated from Pharmacy College in Indianapolis in 1910. Mr. Conwell bought out the Maurice Stewart Drug Store, where Phyllis Hoard's Beauty Shop now stands, on lot #59, and moved the business to the frame building on Poplar Street. It served for a period at that location as the Conwell-Harding Pharmacy. In 1916, he moved to the then new building on Main Street, which had been built by the K. P. Lodge, just east of its own Lodge Building which had been completed a few years earlier in 1912. The business was known as Conwell's Pharmacy. It continued as Conwell's Pharmacy until 1942. The building is now part of the Westport Branch Bank.
     James Lyle and Margaret Denton Conwell had five children: Eugene Denton, Helen Lucille, James Lyle, Jr., Betty Jane, and Robert Franklin Conwell.
     Eugene Denton Conwell (December, 1906 - May, 1951) was a pharmacist. He married Bess Manuel (January, 1903 - April, 1969). Their son, Richard Denton Conwell, born in June, 1935 is a pharmacist and lives in Indianapolis.
     Helen Lucille Conwell was born in May 1909, and is a school teacher. For a time she taught school in Westport. In May 1932 , she was married to Fredrick D. Irwin. Mr. Irwin was born in December, 1902 and died in June 1966. Lucille lives in Wasaw, Indiana.
     James Lyle Conwell, Jr. (April, 1911 - May, 1975) operated a drug store and sold stocks and bonds. In August, 1942, he married Virginia Andrews (October, 1919 - February, 1972). They lived in Greensburg and had one daughter, Cynthia Louise Conwell Barnett. Cynthia was born in February, 1949. She lives in Greensburg and teaches in the Decatur County Community School System.
     Betty Jane Conwell was born in August, 1920. In July, 1941, she was married to W. Dwight Shera, who was born in December 1920. They live on a farm west of Westport, and have two sons. Clark Denton Shera, born in June, 1954, lives in Columbus and operates heavy equipment. Mark David Shera, born in January, 1958, lives on a farm south of Sardinia and works at the Westport Implement Company.
     Robert Franklin Conwell was born in August, 1923. He is an engineer with a construction company, and owns the Westport Natural Gas Company. In January, 1946, he married Wilma Jean Keith, who was born in October, 1929. They have five children. Judy Lynn Conwell Brown, born in September, 1947, lives on a farm southwest of Westport. She is a school teacher, mother, and farmer's wife. Janice Ann Conwell was born in July, 1948, and is a school teacher at Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Lyle Keith Conwell, born in January, 1950, lives in Westport, and has a carpet business in the building where the Conwell-Harding Pharmacy was located on Poplar Stree. He also owns and operates a pizza shop on Main Street, where Reed's Jewelry Store was located. Maribeth Conwell Holcomb was born in July, 1954. She is a sales manager for a department store in Greenwood, and now lives in Columbus. Keven L. Conwell was born in June, 1955. He lives at home and is currently employed as a tree trimmer.

     Joseph A. and Josephine Barnes Davis came from northern Jennings County to Decatur County in 1884 and located on a farm just north of their birthplace.
     Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Davis were the parents of three children: Clyde L. Davis, Essie Davis Mattix, and Ethel Davis Rudicel.
     The farm on which the Davis children were born is now owned by Earl and Ethel Davis Rudicel. A part of this land was once owned by Wren Grayson. Nancy Grayson Hamilton was the great-grandmother of Mrs. Rudicel.
     The barn on this farm was built in 1839 and remodeled in 1946. The frame of the barn was made from hewn logs. In 1949, the ninety year old house was torn down and replaced by a modern home.
     Essie Davis was married to Rowland E. Mattix, and the couple lived just across the road from the Davis farm on the old Grayson homestead. The children of Essie and Rowland Mattix are Roy L. Mattix, Virgie Mattix Owens, and Mabel Mattix Robbins.
     Roy L. Mattix has worked in Westport for several years; Virgie Mattix Owens lives south of Greensburg; and Mable Mattix Robbins and her husband William C. Robbins now live on the old Grayson farm which they purchased several years ago.
     Marilyn Owens Cunningham and Carolyn Owens Ritchison both daughters of Virgie Mattix Owens, currently live in this community. Raymond Owens, husband of Virgie Owens, passed away in 1952.
     Marilyn and Chesley Cunningham live in Westport with their children, Gary and Greg.
     Carolyn and Lynn Ritchison live on R. R. #2 and have two children, Debra and Jay.
     Ray L. Owens, son of Virgie Owens, lives in Westport with his wife, Juda, and their two children, Jennifer and Mitzi.

     When John and Mary Dare Davis first came to the Westport community, shortly after the Civil War, they lived just northeast of town on what was later known as the John McIlwain farm, and is currently known as the Harold Gault farm.
     They were the parents if five children: Elwood, Edward, Bert, James Elbert, and Emma Davis.
     Emma Davis was married to Charles Worland, and they had three children: Mary, Ed, and Raymond Worland. Raymond is now living at Greensburg, Indiana.
     Edward Davis was married to Effie Owens. They were the parents of Frank Davis, who was a dentist at Westport for many years. Edward Davis was a businessman at Westport throughout most of his lifetime. He was in the grocery business for about fifteen years (1890 - 1905) and afterward was an officer in the bank at Westport.
     Frank Davis was married to Leona Ortman. This couple became the parents of two daughters, Elaine and Kathy. Mrs. Leona Davis now resides in Westport, but her daughters, Elaine and Kathy, are now married and live outiside of the community.
     James Elbert Davis was a farmer, and lived just north of Westport. He and his wife, Mary Ellen Sample, had four children: Edna, Nellie, Mary, and Bonnie Davis.
     Edna (Hunt) now lives on west Main Street in Westport; Nellie (Cade) lives at Veedersburg, Indiana; Mary (Clark) lives at Bedford, Indiana; and Bonnie (Johnson) lives at Indianapolis, Indiana.      Bert Davis, a Sandcreek Township farmer, was married to Minnie DeArmond. Bert and Minnie had four children: Beryl, Gail, Harry, and Charles (deceased).
     Beryl (Thompson) was employed for many years at the Decatur County Hospital, and now lives at Greensburg.
     Gail, who tought school for many years, was married to Cassius Armstrong, and lives in northern Decatur County.
     Harry Davis is married to Abbie Moncrief, and they have two children, Calvin Davis and Joan Eubank.
     Calvin Davis, who received a Ph. D. degree from Indiana University, is a Professor of History at Duke University at Durham, North Carolina. Calvin who has authored two books, recently returned from London, England, where he was doing research for a third book he is currently writing.
     Joan Davis was married to Don Eubank, who is a barber in Greensburg. They have one daughter, Janet Sue.
     Charles Davis, who farmed near Westport, was married to Mary Crise, who taught school for many years. The couple became the parents of three children: Phillip, Mary Margaret, and Barbara Beryl Davis.
     Phillip Davis is married to Anne Melton, and they have four children: Debbie, Charles, Diana, and Denise. Phillip farms near Westport, and works at the Cummins Engine Company in Columbus, Indiana. They live on their farm about two miles northwest of Westport.

     John Deniston was born in Scotland in 1795 and came to this country with his parents when a child. Later in life he settled in Franklin County where he made shoes, but later moved to Butler County, Ohio, where he made boots and shoes on a large scale until his death there in 1862.
     John Deniston married Sarah Lines, who was born in 1797 and who died in 1853. They had eight children: George, who died in California; Martha, who died in Mt. Carmel, Indiana; Sarah Jane, who died in infancy; James, who died in White County, Illinois; Helen, who died in Iowa; John Franklin, who died on a farm near Sardinia; and William H. Deniston. In 1866, John Franklin Deniston came to Decatur County, and located at Sardinia. He was followed closely by his brother, William H. Deniston, who came to Sardinia on March 14, 1867. They bought a tract of two hundred and nine acres of land which they operated in partnership until 1879, at which time William H. Deniston sold his interest to his brother, John Franklin, and purchased a sixty-eight acre tract of his own. It was not long until he increased his holdings by the purchase of a two hundred forty acre tract near Sardinia, and eventually added another one hundred thirty-five acres.
     William H. Deniston was married on May 21, 1862, to Celeste Doty, of Butler County, Ohio, whose mother was a Shields, and whose father was John Doty. Mrs. William H. Deniston, who was born in 1843, was the mother of three children: William J. Deniston; Annie Maude, who married William Hubbard, and was the mother of the late Lowell C. Hubbard; and Charles E. Deniston.
     After the death of his first wife, which occurred on October 8, 1884, William H. Deniston lived with his daughter until 1911, when he was married to Sarah Elizabeth Powell, and then moved into Sardinia.
     John Frankin Deniston (September 4, 1833 - January 22, 1889) was married to Mary Ellen DeArmond (January 26, 1842 - February 11, 1867). This couple became the parents of two sons, John Henry Deniston and James William Deniston.
     John Henry Deniston was born May 3, 1862, in Butler County, Ohio, near Scipio, Ohio. When he was only four years old, he was brought to Indiana by his parents who located near Sardinia.
     On August 19, 1883, John Henry Deniston was married to Eliza Eden Seal, who was born in Decatur County, near Liberty Church, and who was the daughter of John B. and Emily Seal.
     Mrs. Deniston passed away on August 20, 1907, leaving two children two children, J. Ray and Audrey Dawn. Ray was born on December 20, 1884, at Sardinia. He was married to Bertha Smith, of Greensburg, and engaged in farming with his father. Audrey was born on January 29, 1893. Two other children died in infancy; Blance (August 7, 1886 - October 4, 1886) and Joy Maude (January 31, 1888 - November 4, 1888).
     After the death of his first wife, John Henry Deniston was married to Lena Littell. To this couple was born a son, John Henry Deniston, Jr., who was born on June 21, 1921. Throughout his lifetime, John Henry Deniston, Sr. was a leading farmer and stockman in Jackson Township.
     John Henry Deniston, Jr. attended school in Jackson Township, and graduated from Jackson High School in 1939. Following his graduation, he enrolled in two winter courses at Purdue. On December 30, 1944, he was married to Dorothy Louise Bowen of North Vernon. The Deniston's are the parents of two children, Tom an Janet Sue Deniston. They live on their farm, at the west edge of Sardinia, which now consists of four hundred acres. They maintain a cow herd of more than one hundred cross-bred cows, and feed anywhere from five hundred to six hundred head of cattle each year.
     John Thomas (Tom) Deniston was born on October 25, 1945. He graduated from Jackson High School and attended Ball State University, from which he received both a Bachelors Degree and a Masters Degree in Business Educatiion. He taught school at Sandcreek for one year, and has taught at South Decatur High School for eight years where he is currently employed. Tom also owns a farm near Sardinia, and engages in the farming operation with his father as time permits.
     Janet Sue Deniston was born on June 26, 1950, and attended the Jackson High School from which she graduated. After her graduation, she attended Ball State University where she earned a Bachelors Degree in Social Work. Miss Deniston is currently working for a cardiologist in the Research Department at the University of Kentucky at Lexington.
     The Denistons are all members of the Sardinia Baptist Church, and all take an active interest in community affairs, and in various organizations which are important to their chosen occupations.

EDDLEMAN      The account of the Eddleman family given here begins with Daniel Eddleman, who was born on December 28, 1769.
     When Kentucky was a wilderness, Daniel Eddleman, with his mother and brother, James, was sheltered in a strong cabin at Bryant's Station, and while there they were attacked by Indians. Daniel and James were kidnapped by them, and Daniel was taken to near Lafayette, where he was kept until he was twelve years old, at which time he was returned to Kentucky and claimed by his mother. James was never seen again, and it is believed he was killed by the Indians.
     The Eddlemans come to Jackson Township during the 1820's and some of them have lived in the township since that time.
     Daniel Eddleman was the father of William H. Eddleman, who was born in Jefferson County, Indiana.
     William H. Eddleman was married to Rachel Wheldon, also a native of Jefferson County, Indiana. To this couple were born two children. After Rachel's death, Mr. Eddleman was married a second time, and the couple became the parents of eleven children.
     The names of seven of William H. Eddleman's children are given here: John Eddleman, William Eddleman, David Eddleman, Sam Eddleman, Amos Eddleman, Lisa Eddleman Moncrief, and Elizabeth Burns. There were six other children.
     From this point, the discussion will center on David and Amos Eddleman.
     Amos Henry Eddleman was born in Jackson Township in 1850, and married Abigail Shinault, who was born in 1849, in Jennings County, Indiana. Edgar Eddleman, a son of Amos and Abigail Eddleman, was born on October 17, 1875, also in Jackson Township.
     Edgar Eddleman was married, and was the father of four children: Alice Blanche, Daniel Amos, George Albert, and Thomas Edgar.
     David Eddleman, a brother of Amos, was the father of Fred Eddleman, who lived his entire lifetime in Jackson Township. (Daniel Eddleman died in May, 1868, at the age of 98 years, 5 months, and 5 days, and was buried in the old Eddleman cemetery southwest of Westport).
     Fred Eddleman was married to Lena Gaston, and to them were born two sons, Gaston Eddleman and Fred Gaston Eddleman.
     Fred Gaston Eddleman now lives in Columbus, Indiana, and travels for the McKay Company.
     Mr. and Mrs. Gaston Eddleman live on a farm in Jackson Township and are the parents of two grown daughters, Sarah and Barbara.
     Mrs. Lena Eddleman has lived in Westport for several years.
     This account does not do justice to the Eddleman family so far as dates and details are concerned but does give give an unbroken lineage of the Eddleman family, starting with Daniel and ending with the present generation.

     The Evans family is of Welsh extraction. The great-great grandfather of John Milton Evans, William Evans, was a native of New Jersey. He and his wife, Martha, immigrated to Ohio, and later to Jackson Township in the early 1830's.
     Decatur County records show that on November 5, 1832, William Evans entered eighty acres of land from the government. The property was described as the west half of the southeast quarter of section ten, town nine, range eight. The records also show that on April 28, 1837, William Evans purchased another eighty acres from John McClerey for the price of six hundred dollars. This eighty acres was the east half of the southeast quarter of section ten, town nine, range eight.
     The Evans have on display in their home the old sheep-skin deeds issued by the governmant and signed by Andrew Jackson, then president of the United States.
     The first horse-power grist mill in Jackson Township was owned by William Evans. The first schoolhouse in Jackson Township was built on the farm of John McClery in November, 1834, on the land which William Evans purchased in 1837.
     William A. Evans, born on November 3, 1835, son of William Evans, was married to Emily M. Hice, a native of Pennsylvania. To them were born three sons: Winston L., Milton E., and John G. Evans.
     Milton E. Evans, who was born August 27, 1862, became the owner of the old home place around 1895, and his brother, John, acquired the land joining the Evan's farm on the north.
     Milton E. Evans was married to Lillie M. Swope on March 6, 1890. On July 30, 1898, they became the parents of twin boys, Glen R. and Gay, but Gay died in infancy.
     The Swopes were also a pioneer family, and their ancestors owned land adjoining the Evans farm on the south.
     Milton E. Evans was a very progressive farmer. He was noted for Duroc hogs and good corn. He acquired another two acres besides the orginal one hundred sixty, but later sold it down to two hundred acres. He liked lots of shade, and planted several maple trees around the building site. When the Evans house of thirteen rooms burned on April 8, 1934, the fire destroyed sixteen of the seventeen maple trees which stood in the yard next to the house. However, one tree still stands in the north yard to represent that era.
     The large frame house which burned, and the present barn were originally built in the center of the land, one-half mile west of the present building site. They were moved to the present site by ox power during the 1870's. The large sills in the barn were all hewn by hand.
     On May 8, 1840, Milton E. Evans died, and shortly thereafter, his son, Glen R. Evans, became the owner of the then two-hundred-acre farm.
     Glen R. Evans was married to Elmira Robbins of near Horace, Indiana. The Robbins family was also a pioneer family, having entered land in Decatur County in 1822.
     Glenn R. Evans, father of John Milton Evans, was also a very progressive farmer, and was one of the largest fattners of feeder pigs and feeder cattle of his time. Unfortunately, his life was not as long as his ancestors, and he died at the age of fifty-seven years, on May 16, 1955.
     John Milton Evans was born August 17, 1924, and was married to Anna Belle Friedersdorf in 1944. The Friedersdorfs were a pioneer family of Bartholomew County.
     The Evans are the parents of two children, Teresa and Larry. Teresa Ann Evans Eloff, born March 24, 1950, lives in Lafayette, Indiana, and is a counselor at Purdue University. Larry Milt Evans, born March 11, 1953, is a partner with his father in their present farming operations.
     In all fairness, it must be said that John Milton Evans is himself a very progressive farmer. By hard work, good management, and some good forture, he has increased the size of his farm from two hundred to six hundred acres. The Evans also rent an additional two hundred acres, and feed about seven hundred fifty head of cattle each year.

     James F. Hamilton (1803 - 1873) came to Decatur County in the early 1830's with his bride Judah Owens, who was born in Virginia on December 14, 1799, and died at Westport, July 20, 1898. The Hamiltons bought land one and one-half miles northwest of Westport.
     George W. Hamilton (May 10, 1837 - July 29, 1899) was the son of James and Judah Owens Hamilton. He was married to Mary Jane Conwell, who was born on February 3, 1847. To this couple were born seven children: James Francis, Clara Maude, Clem E., John C. "Clete" (long time Watkins dealer in Decatur County), Charles L., George C., and Mary V. Hamilton.
     George Hamilton experienced poor health for many years, and the children had to help out at home from an early age.
     James Francis, or "Frank" as he was commonly known around Westport, worked for a local storekeeper for ten years, starting to work when he was about thirteen years old.
     At age twenty-three, having had ten years' business experience working for others, he went into business for himself, becoming a merchant in the flour and feed business, continuing for five years.
     On November 22, 1893, he was married to Mary M. Link. To this couple was born a daughter, Leona J. Hamilton, who lived in Westport for many years and who in 1976 was living in Greensburg.
     On January 20, 1897, Mr. Hamilton bought out an undertaking establishment from James Burk. He was said to be the first to use an automobile in the funeral business in Decatur County. He served the Westport and Millhousen communities, all of southern Decatur County, and certain areas of Ripley, Jennings, and Bartholomew Counties. Soon after purchasing the funeral home, Mr. Hamilton added a line of furniture as a second business.
     His business interests grew, and he decided to move his business just across Poplar Street to the east. On May 13, 1914, he broke ground for a new brick building 42 ft. x 70 ft. Before he could build, however, he had to move the two buildings which stood on the lot he had chosen.
     A house which was built by John Cann in 1843, or shortly thereafter, was moved south to the back end of the lot. Another frame building which stood on the east side of the lot, which had previously been used for a feed store, was moved several blocks to the northwest and was still standing in 1976.
     The brick building he built was being used in 1976 for the grocery business of Harold and Carol Smith. When it was first built, it had a large elevator, its own electric generating plant, and its own pressurized water system. The funeral home was maintained in the east half of the building, the furniture was kept upstairs, and the draperies and carpets were kept in the basement.
     At one time, Frank Hamilton was president of the Westport Chamber of Commerce, and at another time was vice-president of the First National Bank of Westport. He was a member of the St. Denis Catholic Church.
     Born near Westport on August 3, 1869, he lived out his life in this community and departed from this life on March 1, 1928.

     James Nathaniel Jessup came to Westport several years after the Civil War, probably during the 1870's. He was a veterinarian, and followed this line of work after moving to Westport. He first lived a few miles east of town on the Millhousen Road, about one-half mile east of Sandcreek.
     His son, A.L. Jessup, lived just north of the old Horseshoe Bend Cemetery, and it was through A.L. Jessup that a knowledge of the location of the Horseshoe Bend Church was preserved. Mr. Jessup became an auctioneer, and was known to many as Col. Jessup. He worked his first sale in 1899.
     Two children of A.L. Jessup and Flora Tucker Jessup are J. Neal Jessup and Nellie Jessup Gardner, both living in Westport. Nellie is married to Cecil Gardner, and the Gardners live in downtown Westport.
     J. Neal Jessup is married to Edith Burgess of Zenas, and the couple has one daughter, Joy, who is married to Harold Jones, also of Westport. They are the parents of two sons, Trent and Brian Jones.
     Other children of A.L. Jessup and Flora Jessup are Creath Jessup of Columbus, Indiana; Allen Jessup of Westport; and Jessie Judge. Jessie and her husband Hassell Judge, are also living in Westport.

     Jaret N. Keith and his wife Eliza were early settlers in the Westport community. When they came to Westport, they brought with them their four sons, John A., James, Henry, George, and a daughter, Lucinda Keith. Lucinda was later married to a man named Stephens. There were several people named Keith living in this area at an early date, and at least some of them were natives of Kentucky.
     John A. Keith was married to Mary Ann Merryman on March 14, 1850.
     Henry Keith was married to Ruth Alley on September 16, 1849.
     George Keith was married to Lenna Thomas on December 30, 1872.
     James Keith was married to Suzanna Vantreese on September 4, 1851. This couple became the parents of four sons: James H., John, George, and Jarrett N. Keith. Suzanna Vantreese was also a member of a local pioneer family.
     During the Civil War, James Keith was called upon to drill troups and was stationed out west. While there, he became ill and died of dysentery. His wife was left with the four young boys, but raised them by herself in a home at the north edge of Westport.
     James H. Keith seems to have been the last owner of the Courier-Independent newspaper (his wife continued to operate the paper for a short time after his death).
     Jarrett N. Keith was married to Minnie O. Glasscock on September 3, 1884. The couple had two children: Iva, and Geraldine Keith (Moore).
     Jarret N. Keith was a barber, but was better known for years as the local photographer. Mr. Keith seems to have taken photographs of just about every person and every building in the community. His photographs were of excellent quality, and many are yet preserved by several families in the community, and these provide a glimpse into the past which would otherwise not be available. Mr. Keith was indeed a professional photographer, and attended conventions held by professional photographers. His name will long be remembered in this community.
     John Keith was married to Mary A. Owens on September 14, 1876. Into this family were born seven children: Fred, Perry, Clara, Harry, Bill, Effie, and Irvin Keith. Mary A. Owens was the daughter of Lewis Dudley Owens (see Owens family history). John Keith was a railroad section foreman for many years, and later bought the blacksmith shop which was still later operated by his son, Fred.
     Irvin Keith was married to Ruby Richards and the couple became the parents of four children: Chester, John, Ruth (Sparks), and Madge (Manuel).
     Madge has two children: Roberta McKee and Tony Franklin. Tony is currently emplyed at Anderson's Grocery in Westport.
     Madge, and her husband, Bruce Manuel, are presently living in Westport. Ruby Keith also resides in Westport.
     Fred Keith was married to Bertie A. Eddleman on April 2, 1899. This couple had four children: Lester, of Westport; Grace (Connley), now of New Castle; Frank Keith of Greensburg; and Helen (Hull) of New Castle, Indiana.
     Lester Keith was married to Edith Jones, and the couple became the parents of two daughters, Dorothy and Wilma Jean Keith.
     Wilma Jean is married to Robert Conwell, and the couple resides at the east edge of Westport (see Conwell family history).
     Dorothy is married to Frank Layton, who is the local distributor of Mobil products. The Laytons have three sons: Ron, Jon, and Jeff Laytone.
     Ron is married to Phyllis Green, and the couple has four children. They live at Ft. Wayne where Ron works for a credit association for businesses.
     Jon Layton is married to Judy Romine, and the couple are the parents of three children. They live in Indianapolis where Jon is a member of Indianapolis Police Department.
     Jeff Layton still lives at home and is a senior at the South Decatur High School.
     The history of the Low family begins with Fred Low, who came from Pennsylvania to Shelby County, Indiana, while helping to build a railroad, but went farther west.
     Icen Low, a son of Fred Low, was married to Eva Jane Pardun, daughter of James Monroe Pardun and Celena Pearcy, and the couple lived in or near Westport for decades. Eva Low, affectionately known as "Mom" Low, operated hotels at several different locations in Westport. She first operated the Dudly Owens Hotel, which still stands on Main Street across the street from the bank. The second hotel was run in the house which is now the residence of Mae McCullough. She had been running the Low Hotel, where the Maddux Drug Store now stands, for three or four years when it burned in 1911. After that, she was in the Fred Keith house, and finally occupied the Gladyce Badgley house, along with the house just west of it.
     Icem (Pop) Low, had several teams, and did heavy hauling. He drove one team, and hired other men to drive the other horses. He also had a livery barn for several years.
     Icem and Eva June Low became the parents of three children: Kenneth, Florence, and Herbert Low.
     Kenneth was married to Martha (Mattie) Agnew, and the couple had six children: Icem, Dean, Morris, Royce, Robert, and Alice Jane Low.
     Icem and his wife, Edith, live at Greenwood, Indiana.
     Dean Low was married to Frances Marshall, and the couple has one married daughter, Ellen Callahan. Dean and Frances Low live about two miles southwest of Westport.
     Morris Low was married to Georgia Palmer, and the couple became the parents of seven children: Kenneth Icem Low, Max Dean Low, Linda Lou Arnett, Lula Lee Allman, Lila Vermillion, Jack Low and Lura Kind. Morris Low, now deceased, served in the Armed Forces during World War II, and was the most-decorated soldier from Decatur County. Among his many awards were the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
     Royce Low was married to Eunice Mayfield and the couple has six children: Connie Stout, Donnella Buchanan, Robert, Rhonda, Johnna, and Fred. Royce works at Bohn Aluminum, and Eunice works at B. C. A. The Lows live about two and one-half miles south of Westport.
     Bob Low attended school at Westport, and graduated from Sandcreek High School at Westport. About two years after his graduation, he entered the Army. He was sent to South Korea, where he lost his life in the service of his country in 1950.
     Alice Jane Low teaches school in northern Indiana. She still maintains the family residence south of Westport.
     Florence Low was married to Dean Richardson, and the couple became the parents of two children, Wayne and Eva June Richardson. (See the Richardson family history for information on Dean and Wayne Richardson).
     Eva June Richardson is married to James McKown, and the couple resides at Marion, Indiana. The McKowns have three children: Marcia, who is married to David Moon and has three sons; Janice who is single and teaches at Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis; and Jimmie McKown, who is now in law school. James McKown is an attorney at Marion. Eva June received a degree in Journalism from Indiana University, and has worked for the Indianapolis News, and while there, worked for Jep Cadou of the Internal News Service. She is proud of the fact that she was the editor of a magazine called "image", which dealt with matters described as "reflections of Indiana heartland      Florence Richardson lives in Westport, and is kept busy by her housework, and by her efforts to stay in close contact with all of the members of her family. Mrs. Richardson served for a time as Treasurer of Decatur County.
     Herbert Low was married to Leonore Kuhn, a school teacher, and the couple had one son, Myron Low. Herbert Low was a rural mail carrier at Westport for many years.

McCULLOUGH      John McCullough wa a brave and faithful soldier all through the war for American Independence, and after the war settled in Virginia. Later he settled in Kentucky and there prospered and reared a family, and there died, honored as a soldier and a citizen.
     A son John McCullough (William McCullough) married Druzilla Morgan of Kentucky. William was reared in Kentucky, and six of his eight children were born there. A farmer and mechanic, he came to Indiana in 1829 and entered land in Ripley County which he improved and upon which he died in 1837. The children of William McCullough were Harvey, Jane (Mrs. Burk), Eliza (Mrs. Spillman), John, Sarah (Mrs. Runner), William M., Elizabeth (Mrs. Hillis), and S.M. McCullough.
     William M. (Doc) came to Westport in 1853 where he worked for farmers and earned money for his education. He did get a good educatiion, and for many years was a teacher. While teaching he also studied medicine. As soon as he received his diploma, he started practicing medicine as a country doctor.
     "Doc" McCullough, as he was affectionately called, opened the first drug store in Westport (about 1855) and was successful as a physician. He was, however, a very heavy-set man, and the rugged travel on horseback, and sometimes on foot, became increasingly difficult. As a result, he discontinued his practice of medicine and devoted his time to merchandising, adding groceries and other lines of good to his regular drug stock. His store was destroyed by fire late Monday night and early Tuesday morning, August 12th and 13th, 1872. His loss was almost total, his insurance having been only nominal. He built a new brick building on Mulberry Street, and was back in business by 1876.
     William M. McCullough was born in Kentucky, and was married to Sarah Harper, a daughter of Samuel Harper, of Pennsylvania. To this couple were born seven children: James H., Jasper C., Leota (Washburn), Lena E., J. Taylor, Simon, and William Frank McCullough.
     Jasper, Leota and Simon McCullough were never married. Simon was a tailor in Westport for many years.
     After his father's death in 1895, Frank McCullough continued to operate "McCullough's Store" for many years. He was later assisted by his brother,Taylor. In still later years, the business was carried on by Oren McCullough, a son of Taylor. McCullough's store was located in the brick building constucted by William McCullough from 1876 until the early 1930's - a period of more than half a century. After the business was moved to the store on Main Street (now Anderson's Store). Oren (Bud) McCullough continued to operate the store for approximately another twenty years.
     Starting with "Doc" McCullough, around 1855, the McCulloughs were in the store business in Westport for approximately one century.
     Taylor McCullough was a school teacher in Westport for many years. He was married to Junie Elkins, and they were the parents of five children: Earl, Irvin, Harold, Raymond, and Oren (Bud) McCullough.
     Raymond was married to Helen Whalen. He was postmaster at Westport for a few years, and later worked in Indianapolis for many years. Raymond and Helen McCullough became the parents of three children: Jack, Nelson (deceased), and Beverly McCullough. Jack is married, and lives in Arizona. Beverly is married to Clem (Jim) Gatewood, and the family lives about two and one-half miles southwest of Westport.
     Oren (Bud) McCullough was married to Naomi Lucas and the couple had two children, Betty June, who is married to Robert McAuliffe of Westport, and Mary Jane Hoeltke of Columbus.
     James H. McCullough was a farmer, and lived at the south edge of town, where Miss Mary McCullough now lives. He was married to Ida Layton and the couple had seven children: Mary, Simon, Frank Kenneth, Harry, Rollin, Stanley, and Jasper McCullough.
     Miss Mary McCullough was a school teacher for over fifty years, and most of her teaching was done at Westport. She still lives in the house which has been in her family for several decades.
     Frank Kenneth married a Boicourt, and they had four children. They are Ida Lang, who lives in Oregon; Russell, who also lives in Oregon; Raymond, of North Dakota; and Opal Barry, who lives in Arizona.
     Harry McCullough was a barber at Westport for most of his lifetime. He was married to Hazel Hern, and the couple had one son, Harry McCullough, Jr., who is now living in Greensburg.
     Rollin McCullough was married to Hazel Campbell, and they were the parents of three children: Leota Jayne, who now lives in Aurora, Indiana; Melvin McCullough, who lives at Seymour, Indiana and Sally Caldwell, of Clarksville, Indiana.
     Stanley McCullough was married to Mae Ponsler, and they became the parents of five children: Ruthann, Royce, Paul, Richard, and Jerry McCullough.
     Ruthann is married to Charles Cross, who is in the construction business. Ruthann is a teacher in the Jennings County School Corporation, and they reside in Westport.
     Royce is married and lives on a farm near Harris City.
     Paul is married, and now lives in Atlanta, Georgia, where he works on construction projects.
     Richard is living in Columbus, Indiana, where he established a carpet-cleaning business, and is self-employed.
     Jerry McCullough is married to Karen Anderson, and the couple lives in Columbus, Indiana, where Jerry is employed at the Cummins Engine Company.
     Jasper McCullough was married to Louise Barclay, and the couple became the parents of one daughter, Lyndal Hartwell, who lives in North Vernon, Indiana. Mrs. McCullough was a teacher in the local school system for many years, and still resides at Westport.
     Jasper McCullough operated a hatchery and hardware store at Westport for many years, and also worked as an electrician.
     Simon McCullough was married to Mabel Tanner and the couple had twelve children: James Leslie, Donald Edward, Vernon Ervin, Ralph Waldo, Mary Ellen, Harold Alton, John David, Arthur Robert, Sydna Ann, Marion Francis, Ernest Gordon, and Joseph Arnold McCullough.
     James Leslie McCullough, who died in February, 1956, was married, and had two children who survive him.
     Donald Edward McCullough is married and has two children. He works for the Commission for the Blind, for the State of Texas, and lives at Lubbock, Texas.
     Ralph Waldo McCullough is married and the father of six children. He is a teacher and lives at Hammond, Indiana.
     Mrs. (Cecil) Mary Ellen Perkins has two children and is a teacher at Indianapolis, Indiana.
     Harold Alton McCullough is married and has four children. He is a postman and lives at Indianapolis, Indiana.
     John David McCullough, who died on February 19, 1969, was married, and had eleven children who survive him.
     Arthur McCullough, who works at the Cummins Engine Company, is married to Mary Catherine Hull, and they have six children. They live on their farm about two and one-half miles south of Westport.
     Mrs. (Dale) Sydna Ann Mozingo is a housewife, and has three children. The Mozingos live on R.R. #2, Greensburg, Indiana.
     Mrs. (Allen) Marion Francis Fox is a housewife, and is the mother of seven children. The family lives at Phoenix, Arizona.
     Ernest Gordon McCullough, who works at Cummins Engine Company, is married and has three children. He lives on R.R.#1, Westport.
     Joseph Arnold McCullough works at Bohn Aluminum, and resides on R.R. #10, Greensburg, Indiana. He is married and has two children and eight step-children.
     Hockersmith Merryman and Simeon Sharp founded Westport on March 23, 1836. Information on the Merryman family is scarce. There were several people by the name of Merryman living in Westport during the 1830's.
     Pauline Poer of Spiceland, Indiana, is a descendent of Hockersmith Merryman.
     The father of Pauline Poer was Charles Merryman, who was the son of Mose Merryman.
     Mrs. Elias H. Jackson in "A Century of Progress" made the statement that "Noah Merryman I was born in Westport, Kentucky..."
     It is believed that Hockersmith Merryman was the father of Noah Merryman I, and that his son, Noah Merryman II, was the father of Mose Merryman. However, this has not been proven, and the names are included here as clues for anyone interested in looking up the Merryman family history.
     A search through the early records of Oldham County, in which Westport, Kentucky, is situated failed to reveal anyone by the name of Merryman as a property owner. The same was true for the marriage records. The search was also made for those members of the Williamson family who were known to be living near Westport during the 1830's. Here, too, there was no evidence suggesting that they had been at Westport, Kentucky. This does not mean that the Merrymans or Williamsons did not live there. But the fact that they did not buy property or apply for marriage licenses does suggest that if they were there, they were not there very long. There is the possibility that they could have lived on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. Another possibility is that these families could have lived in Westport, Kentucky before records were kept, but this would have to have been before 1826.
     It is thought that Westport, Indiana was named for Westport, Kentucky, but except for Mrs. Jackson's statement in "A Century of Progress", no tie could be made between the two.
     This account begins with Henry C. Miller (April 17, 1820 - October 23, 1906). Henry C. Miller came to Indiana from Louisiana at an early date, and settled about three and one-half miles northeast of Westport. The Millers had a daughter, Julia E. Miller, who was born in 1847. Julia is believed to have been the only child, although the Millers did take other children into their home.
     Henry C. Miller, along with Parker Canfield and others, was an early leader in the Westport Methodist Church.
     His occupation was farming, and he owned several hundred acres of land in Sandcreek Township.
     When the Center-of-Population Monument was dedicated near his home on Sunday, May 10, 1891, Henry C. Miller was one of four speakers for the occasion, and according to the Greensburg Standard, "Many were the compliments pronounced upon the interesting talk of this silvery-haired pioneer."
     On January 1, 1873, Julia E. Miller Sisco (1847 - 1929) was married to William F. Robbins (1850 - 1923). For more than three years they operated a general store in Westport, and also carried a line of hardware. The building which they owned was later known as the Howe & Eddleman Hardware Store, and stood on the south side of Main Street, where the west side of the bank now stands. They sold the store in 1876 to John DeArmond.
     To William F. and Julia E. Robbins were born six children: Cleve, Courtland C., Cordia, Elizabeth, Emma, and George Robbins.
     Courtland C. (Todd) Robbins was married to Cecil D. Heaton. They became the parents of two children: Julia E. Robbins, who lives north of Westport; and Roy Lee Robbins of Indianapolis.
     Cordia Robbins was married to Clyde Morgan, who was a carpenter. Cordia gave music lessons in her home for many years. The Morgans lived out their lives at their home was located about two miles north of Westport.
     Elizabeth Robbins was married to Clifford Davis, and the couple had three children: Faith Ellison; Barrett Davis; who now lives in Columbus, Indiana; and Dr. Marvin Davis, also living in Columbus.
     Emma Robbins was married to Fred Williams, and they were the parents of three children: Melba, Vivian (Harnish), and Velma (Frame).
     George Robbins died as a young man.
     Cleve Robbins married Alta McIlwain, and they became the parents of five children: Helen, William C., Lowell, Margaret and Alma Robbins.
     Throughout most of his lifetime, Cleve Robbins engaged in general farming on the old homeplace northeast of Westport.
     Helen Robbins was married to William Hollerman, who passed away several years ago. Helen now lives in North Vernon, Indiana.
     William C. Robbins is married to Mabel Mattix. They live south of Westport on the old Wren Greyson farm which they purchased several years ago. Mabel Robbins is a descendent of the Grayson family. William C. (Bill) Robbins engages in general farming, and has for many years had a dairy as part of his farming operations.
     Margaret Robbins (Smith) now lives in Indianapolis, Indiana and Alma, who was married to the late Friend Knarr, now lives at Elkhart, Indiana.
     Lowell Robbins is married to Charlotte Cann, and they are the parents of three children: Mike, who is married to Alberta Washburn; Carolyn (Kobe) of Battle Creek, Michigan; and Mary Ruth Robbins, who is a Registered Nurse at Indianapolis, Indiana.
     This account begins with John Owens of Kentucky. John Owens was the father of Lewis Dudley Owens, who was a businessman and resident of Westport throughout most of is adult life. A sister of John Owens, Juda Owens, was born in Virginia on December 11, 1799. Some members of the Owens family evidently migrated from Virginia to Kentucky, and then to Westport. Juda Owens was married to James F. Hamilton, and the two were the grandparents of Frank Hamilton (see Hamilton family history).
     Dudley Owens, who was born in Kentucky, was married to Mary Ann Martin. To this couple were born six children: Perry, John, Barthena (Burk), Effie (Davis), Philena (Stephens), and Mary A. (Keith).
     Mr. Owens reportedly was running the old DeArmond Brothers Hotel at the time it burned in 1872. Several years later, about 1887, he built the large hotel which came to be known as the Dudley Owens Hotel, and it is still standing on the north side of Main Street, just across from the bank.
     Mr. Owens was married a second time, and had a step-daughter named Florence. His second wife was named Acsah. Mr. Owens died in 1893.
     Barthena Owens, who was born in 1851, was married to James M. Burk, who was born in 1853. To this couple were born three children: John (1873), William (1877), and Lena (1881).
     The Burks bought out the Armstrong heirs during 1880 and 1881, and finally owned all of lot #9 in Westport. The Burks lived on the west side of this lot, and had a carriage shop on the east side. They remained at this location until 1884, at which time they sold the property to her father, Dudley Owens.
     A few years later, James and Barthena Burk built the brick building near the railroad on the south side of Main Street, which came to be known as the Burk Building. At this location, Mr. Burk set up his jewelry business, and also had an undertaking establishment. The building was later known as Reidenbach Jewelry Store, and still later as Reed's Jewelry Store.
     In later years (after 1900) Mr. Burk was an optician in Westport.
     Lena Burk was married to Frank Glasgow Harding in 1899, and the couple had one daughter, Madge Harding, who now lives in Indianapolis, Indiana.
     Addison Irving Harding was first married to Sarah Glasgow, and the couple became the parents of two sons, Matthew Dow and Frank Harding (mentioned above).
     By a second marriage, Addison Irving Harding was married to Ellen Hibbard, and the couple had three boys: Roy, Norris and Horace.
     By a third marriage, Mr. Harding was married to Martha Elliott. To this couple a daughter Martha, was born. Martha was married to W.H. (Coonie) Webb, now deceased.
     Martha taught school for several years, and at the present time resides at the east edge of Westport.
     Mrs. William Burk is also living in Westport.

     William Richardson, a United Brethern circuit rider wanting a place to preach the gospel, and his young wife Jane, left Pennsylvania and traveled down the Ohio River to what is now Hamilton, Ohio, where their three sons were born.
     William and Jane Richardson, along with their sons, Joseph, William John, and James, migrated from Hamilton, Ohio to Madison, Indiana. From Madison, they moved northward and finally located in Brewersville in Jennings County.
     William Richardson rode a circuit of United Brethern Churches which included Fredonia, New Bethel, Fish Creek, and the church in his hometown of Brewersville.
     William Richardson was also a good basket-maker, and this art was developed by two of his sons, Joseph and William John. Both located on farms in the New Bethel area where they farmed and made baskets which they huckstered by horse and wagon to farmers and nearby storekeepers.
     William John Richardson married Eliza Ellen Grayson, the daughter of Wren Grayson, Jr., a well-known farmer, and one of the early Decatur County Commissioners. At this time, the Graysons were living on the farm which Wren Grayson Sr. had entered from the government in 1827. The farm is located south of Westport, just northwest of the iron bridge over Sandcreek, and is now owned by William and Mabel Robbins.
     The Richardsons began their married life on a farm which was located near Bear Creek. It was there that their seven children were born. These are the children who were born to the Richardsons: Salethiel Jesse, William Selden, Harry, Leonard Forrest, Gertrude, Dean and Leafy.
     On July 4, 1891, William Richardson bought property on Main Street, and moved his family to Westport.
     S. Jesse Richardson published The Westport Independent, the first newspaper published in Westport, and at different periods, owned and operated the Westport Courier-Independent.
     Harry became a baker, and worked for the Thomas Bakery in the brick building north of the Standard Service Station. He also operated a shingle factory on the banks of Millstone Creek on East Main Creek.
     Dean owned and successfully operated a retaurant on Main Street. He also built and operated a filling station (now the Standard Station) until his death in 1930.
     Leonard Forrest became a newspaper editor and, and in the early days of the Westport Independent, worked in the print shop located in the Richardson building, which was situated on the corner now occupied by the Standard Service Station.
     He went to Sheffield, Illinois, where he editied a newspaper - The Times - until his death.
     Gertrude (Sherman) and Leafy (Burns) are still living in the family home on Main Street in Westport.
     The Richardson family was very active in the early development of Westport.
     Wayne Richardson, the son of Dean and Florence Low Richardson, lives in Westport, and is a wholesale distributor of livestock and agricultural equipment.
     Wayne is married to Florine Carder. The old Carder homeplace was in the St. Denis neighborhool, and is now known as the Clyde Taylor farm.
     Wayne and FLorine are the parents of six children: Marilyn, Roberta, John Dean, Danny, Bill and Ben Richardson.
     Marilyn lives at Sydney, New York and is married to Daniel Rawlins, who is an executive with the Bendix Corporation. They have one son, Greg, who is in the Navy.
     Roberta lives at Greensburg and is married to Norman Fromer, who is a foreman at B.C.A. in Greensburg. Roberta sells real estate for the McGinn Real Estate Company. The Fromers have three children: Amy, Eric, and David Fromer.
     John Dean, a teacher in California, is married to Nancy Castner from Columbus, Indiana. The couple has no children.
     Danny is a truck driver and lives at North Vernon, Indiana. Danny is married to June Grossman, and their family consists of six children: Gary, Tim, Brian, and Jennifer Richardson, and Teresa and Bill Grossman.
     Bill, a school teacher at Crawfordsville, Indiana, is married to Retta Van Massenhove of Denver, Colorado. They are the parents of a son, Michael, and a daughter, Kristie.
     Ben, still single lives in the Westport community and operates his own business known as Ben's Mobil Service.

     Simeon Sharp and Hockersmith Merryman founded Westport on March 23, 1836. There were many other people named Sharp who were also early settlers. Unfortunately, not much is known about Simeon Sharp. He was married at least twice. Mary Sharp, wife of Simeon Sharp, died on May 18, 1843, at the age of 32 years, 9 months, and 26 days, and was buried in the old cemetery east of the Methodist Church. Another wife, Sarah, died on April 5, 1853, at the age of 33 years, 4 months, and 15 days, and was also buried in the old cemetery mentioned above. It was not learned when or when Mr. Sharp died. If he was buried in the cemetery at Westport, there is no marker to indicate the spot.
     Jean Sharp of Westport is a relative of Simeon Sharp, but the exact relationship is not known. The paternal ancestors of Jean Sharp came down the Ohio River from Pennsylvania, and his maternal ancestors came from North Carolina. Jean Sharp's father was Walter Marion Sharp, and his grandfather was John Elston Sharp.
     Jean Sharp is a retired employee of the Cummins Engine Company, and lives in Westport with his wife, Bess. The couple has two grown daughters, Genevieve and Barbara.

     Members of the Shera family now living in the Westport community are descendents of Caleb Shera.
     Caleb Shera, a native of Ireland, was born in 1815 and came to the United States at the age of twenty-five. He settled first in Bartholomew County, then moved to Franklin County, and finally settled permanently in Decatur County. He was married to Elizabeth Shafer, daughter of John and Catherine Shafer.
     Caleb and Elizabeth Shera were the parents of Isaac Shera, who was born on August 24, 1851, near Sardinia.

                    ISAAC SHERA
     Isaac Shera was married to Mary A. Updike. Mr. Shera was a very successful farmer in Jackson Township, and had acquired several hundred acres of good farmland by the time of his retirement. He also was instrumental in the building of the Westport Baptist Church. Because of his unselfish contributions, the Church, housed in the new building and debt-free, was able to actively pursue its mission in the community.
     To Isaac and Mary A. Shera were born two sons. Elmer Ray Shera was born on November 4, 1887, and died April 22, 1889.
     Earl Leroy Shera was born November 2, 1885, and died in July, 1958. He was born and raised on a farm one mile west of the old Jackson Township School. He became a farmer, living first on a 160 acre farm south of Sardinia. In the fall of 1912, he moved to the 160 acre farm two miles west of the Jackson School. Because of failing health, he moved to the house in Westport where his widow, Mamie Shera still lives. He continued to manage this farm, and after Isacc Shera's death in April, 1926, he managed the entire 800 acres. Earl purchased an additional 40 acres near the home place from Sam Fisher. He stayed active in the management of the farms until his death in July, 1958. He belonged to the Westport Baptist Church, and he there served many years as a Trustee. He was a member of the Westport Masonic Lodge.
     Mr. Shera had one son, born in 1909, by a previous marriage. Glen Shera lives in Michigan. In March 1912, Earl married Mamie Clark who was born in January 1892. Their children are Lucille, E. Stanley, Isaac, W. Dwight, Max C., and M. Miles Shera.
     Lucille Shera was born in April, 1913. She taught high school in Westport and Letts. In May, 1935, she married Robert Pavy, who was born in March, 1913. He is a dentist, and they live in Rennselear, Indiana. Their children are Sheri Jean Pavy Stropko, born in 1942, now living in Tucson, Arizona; and David Lanham Pavy, born in 1946, and now living in Louisville, Kentucky.
     E. Stanley Shera was born in November, 1915. He was worked at the Cummins Engine Co. in Columbus, Indiana, since June, 1942. In February, 1940, he married Roberta Ruth Davidson, who was born in July, 1919. Their children are: Warren Preston Shera, who was born in December, 1942, and is now living in Mexico; Earl Stanley Shera, Jr., who lives in Columbus, and was born in August, 1944; Mary Jill Shera Jacobson, who lives in Greensburg, and was born in Octorber, 1952; and Robert Jackson Shera, of Westport, who was born in January, 1954. In April, 1969, Stanley Shera was married to Nancy Tucker McCullough, who was born in April, 1938. They now live in Westport.
     Isaac Lyman Shera was born in January, 1919, and died in December, 1919.
     W. Dwight Shera was born in December, 1920. In July, 1941, he was married to Betty Conwell, who was born in August, 1920. He is a farmer, and they live on the first farm Isaac Shera purchased in 1878. Their children are Clark Denton Shera, who was born in June, 1954, and lives in Columbus; and Mark David Shera, who was born in January, 1858, and lives on a farm south of Sardinia.
     Max C. Shera was born in November, 1923. In January, 1946, he was married to Jean Camp Keith who was born in November, 1946, and now lives west of Burney; and Theresa Kay Shera Busse, who was born in January, 1949, and now lives at Crown Point.
     M. Miles Shera was born in November, 1927. He is in the insurance business. In June, 1950, he was married to Martha Carder, who was born in 1928 and died in 1964. In June, 1969, he was married to Mary Seiglitz, who was born in April, 1942. They have one child, Kirk Isaac Shera, who was born in August, 1971.

     The first Stott in America (first name unknown) migrated from Germany to Scotland and then to America, where the Stott family was established. This Mr. Stott was the father of Raleigh Stott, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and who migrated from one of the eastern states to the Middle West. Raleigh Stott was the father of Louis Lunsford Stott. The Stott family was among the first to settle in the state of Indiana. Louis Lunsford Stott in 1813, paid taxes in Indiana for the years 1810, 1811, and 1812. This was before Indiana had become a state. Louis Lunsford Stott first married a Miss Allen and the couple became the parents of eight children: Lewis Christopher (the father of Capt. W.T. Stott, a former Sheriff of Decatur County); Mrs. Hulda New; Allen; Mrs. Polly Griffin; Mrs. Mariah Kirtley; Mrs. Elizabeth Smith; Frances Marian; and Mrs Sarah Jane Gaston. By a second marriage, there were three children; D.W., Richard T., and Mrs. Susan Newsome.
     Lewis Christopher Stott (1814 - 1907, mentioned above) was born in Kentucky and married Elizabeth (Daily) Stott (1812 - 1880) a native of Virginia. They moved into Jennings County sometime during the 1830's and then moved to a small farm at the south edge of Westport about the year 1841. Children of Lewis C. Stott were William Taylor Stott, Zurelda (Smalley), Lottie (Davis), Mary Ellen (Cann), and Susan Stott.
     Richard T. Stott (half-brother of Lewis C. Stott) was born November 14, 1842, in Jennings County, three miles south of Westport, the son of Louis Lunsford and Sallie (Stewart) Stott. Because his mother died when he was four years old, he grew up near Sardinia, living with an uncle, Willis C. Stribbling. He was nineteen years old when the Civil War broke out and enlisted on July 8, 1861, in Company H Nineteenth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served for over three years. He was under fire in nearly all of the battles and especially was on the firing line in the Second Battle of Bull Run, the Battles of Fredericksburg, South Mountain, Antietam, and Gettysburg, as well as the Wilderness Campaign.
     He returned home at the close of the Civil War, and starting farming in Jackson Township, and was married in 1865 to Eliza Ann Chaille.
     William Taylor Stott (1840 - 1912) was born in Jennings County. He grew up on his father's farm at the south edge of Westport. At the age of twenty, at the beginning of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-Second Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served for four years, becoming Captain of his Company. He distinguished himself in many battles and engagements. At the close of the Civil War, Captain Stott engaged in the drug business, continuing until about 1872, his store being in Westport.
     Capt. William T. Stott was married to Caroline Bennett and they became the parents of four children; Charles A., William Taylor, Jr., Elizabeth (Biddinger), and James Clarence.
     William Taylor Stott was appointed deputy internal revenue collector, a position which he filled with credit for a number of years. He was elected sheriff of Decatur County in 1896, and re-elected two years later, and served until about 1900. He then bought the well-known general store of Davis and Littell and took his sons William T. (Jr.) and James Clarence into partnership with him.
     William Taylor Stott purchased the Harding Store building, and moved his business into it. He operated the store until his death in 1912. Thereafter, the business was run by Bill and Clarence Stott until about 1920.
     In later years, James Clarence Stott and Mary Elizabeth (Mame) Brown were: Paul T., Christopher, Benjamin H., Gertrude and Gladys (twins), Dorothy, Verle, Mary, and Phyllis.
     Children of Mary Ellen Stott (Cann) were Gertrude, Jacob, and John C. Cann.

     Oliver H. Stout was married to Mary Etta Greenfield on August 31, 1882. The couple had one daughter, Ethel Tyner Stout.
     Oliver Stout and Melvin Sample owned a quarry in partnership. It was in the same general area as the Hollensbe Quarry, and as photographs verify, about twenty-five or thirty men were employed in the Stout and Sample Quarry.
     Mr. Stout was a very fair-minded and honest man. He was also very patriotic. On many occasions, especially Memorial Day celebrations, he would recite poetry, some of which he had written himself. He wrote several poems about pioneer days. These poems were unusual in the sense that they were based entirely on actual facts pertaining to pioneer days, and they described real persons, places, and events in this community.
     Six of Oliver H. Stout's poems were published in booklet form, and were distributed as souvenirs of the thrid annual Old Settler's Meeting, which was held northeast of Westport on the farm of Zack Boicourt. The meetings were held on the forty-acre tract which lies northeast of the gas-light corner on the Millhousen Road.
     Some of Mr. Stout's poems from the booklet "Stories of the Past" appear at various places in this book. It is believed that the booklet was published in 1899, but the date has not been definitely established. The poems may all have been written before that date.
     It is regrettable that more is not known about Mr. Stout, but the depth of his poems indicate that he was an extraordinary individual. Because of his written accounts, detailed information has been presrved which otherwise would have been lost.

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and