Site Navigation

The following article is from a special edition of the North Vernon Plain Dealer - printed Dec. 1897

    Tripton Mills was built and first operated in 1857 by Edward Pitt Hicks who was assisted by Pleasant C. McGannon, who later became his son in law and proprietor of the business. The mill continued under Mr. McGannon's ownership unttil May 2, 1896, when it was purchased by Conrad and Jacob Eberts, doing business in Jeffersonville under the firm name of Eberts & Bro., who are recognized as the leading millers of this section of Indiana. In addition to the enormous plant at Jeffersonville and the mill here, they own and operate flour exchanges at Henryville and Nab Station. Both members of the firm are careful and conscientious business men. The mill at this place is of 100-barrel capacity, and is in charge of John P. Eberts, a cousin of the proprietors. As a manager a better selection could not have been made, as he has had fourteen years experience in the business and besides is very popular. Since Mr. Eberts took charge of the North Vernon Mill the business has shown a marked increase. The present firm after getting possession of Tripton Mill thoroughly overhauled it and added much new machinery, among other things the latest improved make of corn mill and a new set of boilers. The brands of flour manufactured are: "Full Roller Patent," "Full Roller," "Cream of the Wheat" and "Family." They also handle a full line of bread meal and mill stuffs. In concluding this sketch it is but just to urge the propriety of every citizen of Jennings county to use the output of this mill in their home consumption for it is safe to say that no concern or industry has had more to do with the up-building of the town, and nowhere can better, purer or more wholesome flour be found.
J.P. Eberts

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and