Site Navigation

from various Histories of Jennings County

    The first records show that Paris, Graham. Coffee Creek and Vernon were the earliest settlements in the area.

    In 1810 Solomon Deputy and his wife Sarah were the first to settle in what would become Jennings County but was at that time Clark County. Tradition says that their son Joshua Deputy was the first white child born in what is now Jennings County. Thomas Pool and his wife came to Indiana Territory in 1811 and moved into Jennings County in 1827 near Butlerville. At 26 years of age he enlisted under General Hopkins in the War of 1812, he also served under Captain John Pittman.

    In 1814 John Latten built a cabin on Graham Creek four miles north of the present site of Paris. Colonel John Vawter was a surveyor who first came to where Vernon now stands in 1813 and by 1815 he and William McClure bought a tract of land at the junction of the North and South Forks of the Musctatuck River. John Vawter, Achilles Vawter, John Branham, Henry StClair and James Williams occupied the first lots in Vernon. William T. Stott arrived in Jennings County in 1816 and was the first pastor of the Vernon Baptist Church. Original members were John Vawter, Nancy Lewis, William Padgett and Padgett's wife.

    William Read, built a mill on the Muscatatuck for converting stones into building material. The locals called it Vinegar Mill because it looked like a cider press.

    William Pool, Samuel Campbell, William Prather, Joseph Pool and Miles Bundy built their cabins on the South Fork of the Muscatatuck. One or two miles East of Vernon on the North Fork of the Muscatatuck William Pagett, Morris Baker, Alexander Lewis and George Stribbling settled. In 1816-1817 a settlement was formed along Sand Creek by Adam Kellar, James Shields, Chauncy Butler, Leonard Butler, Justis Rich, the VanKoehlers, William Clapp, Allan Cheaver and Nicholas Amick.
    Five or six miles Southwest of Vernon on the Muskatatuck Basil Meek settled and joining him were James Kellam, Noah Sullivan, Jacob McMurry, John Bonor, R. Marvin, James Green and Thomas Richey. Six miles West of Vernon on Six Mile Creek settled Peleg Baker,  Jonathan Davis, also the Eastmans whose family included Nathaniel Eastman his son Solomon and Solomons wife. Near them settled the Barretts, Sarah Barrett who married and moved to Indianapolis and  became an author of poetry was a member of this family.

    Darius Robinson came from Kentucky at the age of 11 with his parents, they lived for two years near John Works' Mill, then they moved for about a year on the farm of Jacob Trumbo. The Robinsons then moved to Coffee Creek and entered 160 acres of Land. Darius' brother joined Captain Norris' Rangers during that time he did duty for about a year at Solomon Deputy's blockhouse at Coffee Creek. He married Nellie Wilson then moved on to Cana in Marion Township. William Sage moved to Cana after living for a time near Lewis Creek, he told many stories of living in the frontier including encounters with Indians and large dens of Copperheads in the area.

    Robert, David, John and Joseph Elliott, William Patterson, Nathanial and Thomas Davis, Ephraim Glasco, George Stribbling and Jacob Brown settled in the Eastern part of the County on the Muscatatuck. James Needam settled near where Little and Big Graham Creeks meet. A few miles below the forks of the Graham, James Hughes and William Calicott built their cabins.

   William Johnson and his wife lived on the banks of Graham Creek in 1824, they came through Kentucky from Virginia in 1822. Later they lived in Bigger Township, two miles from San Jacinto.

   Soon more early settlers joined those who arrived first in Vernon including Andrew Young, John Davis, Maurice Baker, James Hilton, Joseph Cowell, Josiah Andrews, William T. Stott, F.K. Fulton and William Sanford.

   Alexander Lewis, William Lewis, James Stott, James Lattimore, Walter Carson, the Grahams, the Arbuckles, Elder Thomas Hill, Zack Tannehill, Thomas Shepherd and Henry Shepherd built homes in the vicinity of Paris.

   In 1830 a group of settlers from New England came to the area around the present site of the community of Hayden: Heatons, Wilders, Whitcombs, Days and Swarthouts.

   In 1840 a number of Irish families settled in Spencer Township, but stayed only a short time leaving in 1850.

   In the early 1850's a group of Quakers purchased property in the area of the present site of Butlerville including the following families:  Stanley, Little, Hole, Armstrong, Starkey, Surdge, Haycock, Walton, Malmsberry, Bewley, Heidt, Cope, Ware, Murphy, Cook, Hinchman, Hudson, Neil, Winnery, Shreve, Owen, Engle and Woolman.

   German settlers came directly to the southwestern part of the County in the late forties and early fifties many from Hesse-Cassle and Hesse Danistard. They were the Hoffmans, Utsingers, Artz, Heines, Doers, Wetzels, Wagners, Trapps, Mathers, Rotgens, Beiderts, Hargesheimers, Wrapps and Riss. Buena Vista was the center of the flourishing German community that reached over half of Spencer Township.

   The Indiana Constitution framed at Corydon, June 10-19, 1816 prohibited the establishment of slavery in Indiana. Jennings County being in free territory attracted the non-slaveholding element of the westward movement among those families were the Calicotts, Shorts, Edwardses, Hicklins, Jacksons and Andersons. 

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and