Site Navigation

photo by Lois Johnson

IN 1917

What we have all known by the above title is a Church of Christ, an organization of a people of common faith which aims at the elevation of all who may come within the radius of its influence. 

When we undertake to write a biography of a life, or a history of an organization of men, we must deal with the beginning and with the life.

This community was settled sparsely in the early years of 1800 by men who came to Indiana Territory hoping to better their condition. After some years of struggling with the Indians and wild animals, the colony had grown sufficiently to feel the need of a common center.

A few sturdy pioneers having come from the Virginias, the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee, who worshipped God in the communities they had left, who had the love of God in their souls and desired to bring their children up in the 'Nurture and Admonition of the Lord' decided they must have a place of worship. The log house built for a church was placed almost on the same ground we now occupy. Why we do not know. We do know that John Lattimore and family, Walter Carson and family, James Mitchel and wife, and Thomas Graham and family, lived near this place.

Consulting the only record at our command we find that about a half dozen families were found who were willing to consecrate themselves, with all that might mean, that a church of Christ was planned on Graham Fork in Jennings County and the state of Indiana. When (we quote from old records) "17 persons came forward in the presence of a respectable congregation and, adopting a confession of faith, were declared entitled to all the privileges of Christians and the seals of everlasting covenant of God". Under the ministrations of Nathan B. Derrow, V.D.M., a missionary from Connecticut; by agreement, the church was called 'Concord'. Following are the names of the charter members:

George Shilladay
James McCartney
Thomas Graham Jr.
Catherine Johns
Isabella Lattimore
Elizabeth Ann Watson
Jane Shilladay
John Miller
Samuel S. Graham
Jane Miller
Mary Graham
Jane Watson
Robert Watson
John Lattimore
James Watson
Martha Miller
Esther Graham

Under date of August 29, 1818, the record says: "The following persons were received by certificate: Thomas Graham and wife Polly, George Thompson and wife Nancy Thompson;; the following by examination: Chapman Denslow, Elisha Thompson and wife Hannah Thompson, and Alanson Andrews." Thus we see that the church numbered 15 souls. Of the struggles and sacrifices which may have been the portion of this devout band of men and women, we know nothing as we have no date until May 7, 1832, and then only the sessional minutes. It has always been our understanding that John Lattimore and Thomas Graham were the first elders of the church. A petition was presented at the meeting of the Presbytery in the fall of 1832, and the church ordered divided. The members who lived south of Bear Creek were constituted a new church at Paris, Indiana. All who lived North of Bear Creek were to and did remain members "at the Graham Meeting House." John Lattimore, George McCaslin, and James Miller were the ruling elders or spiritual advisors. Thus much for the organization and reorganization, or, more correctly, the division of the church.

At this time we find the parent church with about 35 members, the name established as the "Graham Presbyterian Church". They maintained Sunday School and a weekly prayer meeting when "no preacher was convenient". The membership follows:
George Mckeehan
Felix Carson and wife
Mary Carson
Joseph Hendricks
Harriett Hendricks
John Vanwye
Minerva Miller
Sarah Miller
Ann Lattimore
Nancy McCaslin
Rachel McCaslin
Elizabeth McKeehan
Joseph Carnes and wife
Mina Carnes
John Torbet & wife
Mary Torbet
Mary Vanwye
Melissa Miller
John T. Carson
William Lattimore
James G. McCaslin
Anzeline McCaslin
William Carson and wife
Jane Carson
Elizabeth Carson
Jane Miller
Martha Miller
George Miller
Martha Lindley
Richard McCaslin
James H. McCaslin

    The next year, 1833, William S. Miller and Rhoda Miller were added to the church by certificate. During the next nine years the following were added to the communion of the church (we read here from the record of the roll) Nancy Lattimore, Walter Carson, John O. Lattimore, James McKeehan, James Leiper,James M. Thompson, Elizabeth Carson, Elizabeth Leiper, E.T. Leiper, Margaret Leiper, Daniel Lattimore, Martha Lattimore, James P. Carson, Louisa Lattimore, Eliza McCaslin, Susana Clark, Elizabeth Jane Carson, James McClellan, Susannah McCamment, Juliett B., Mary Ann and Catherine McCamment, Margaret Graham, Margarette McCamment, Sophia McCaslin, Andrew Tweedy, Emily Stites, Mary Reynolds, Benjamin F. Carson, Samuel and Nancy McCalla, William Gelf, John Reynolds, Eliza Vanwye, Sarah J. Graham, Mary Leiper, Mary Vanwye, Nancy McKeehan, Jane W. Carson, Mary McKeehan, Mesina Miller, Walter Carson, Worthington Leiper, Lewis G. Carson, Nancy Lattimore, Matilda Carson, Thomas Graham, Susan McCamment, Nancy McCamment

Sessional record, page 46: "Resolved that the session approve the action of the Presbytery in attaching the Paris Church to this, and the names enrolled" Thus the Watsons, Shilladays, and Grahams were again members of the Graham Church. This was the year 1842. If we refer to our minutes we find that the early church believed in prayer. Page 28, May 24, 1833, 2:00 O'clock: "The Congregation assembled engaged in prayer for the presence and blessed influences of the Holy Spirit upon the approaching communion season of which this is the commencement".

Another thing we find they of that day had time for a three or four days meeting. It also seems that members were received or dismissed every preaching service.

The ministers were: Nathan B. Derrow, organizer; Rev. John U. Parsons, 1832, assisted by Rev. Mr. Grey; John F. Crowe, and Dr. Blythe. In 1833 and 1834 Dr. Blythe assisted by Rev. Cunningham and Daniel Lattimore; 1835 Rev. G.B. Bishop and Rev. Wm. Bell. In 1836 Rev. Daniel Lattimore, son of Elder John Lattimore, was called to serve the chruch, and while others assisted in the work. Rev. Mr. Dunning in 1848, Rev J.M. Stone in 1854, Rev. John B. Sage in 1855.

Daniel Lattimore seems to have held sway here almost 20 years. It was during his ministry that the present building was erected. Yearly report of April 1850 shows that during the past year $896.60 was received for all purpose. (Sessional minutes, page 61). On the 18th of September 1851, James H. Goodnow receipted Walter Carson $784.67 for building a chruch for the Presbyterian Church of Graham.

Graham Church has been no exception to the rule, but has had her dark hours. Such a time was 1863 to 1868, at which time her membership was depleted; only one elder John Lattimore; no regular preacher; not able to support a pastor of its own, and the question was passed around 'what is to become of the church'. Yet there remained a few faithful ones who continued working and praying.

In the spring of 1868 arrangements were made for services. Rev. J.Q. McKeehan and C.K. Thompson conducted a series of meeting and were assisted by Rev. D.D. McKee, during which there was an awakening and many came into the church. It was during the years 1868 and 1869 that several came from the United Presbyterian church class at Moffat School House, so that the Giboney, Simpsons, tweedys, and a number of the other families were enlisted in the work of the church. New officers were elected to fill vacancies caused by death and removal: William A. Graham, William Henry Carson and Thomas Giboney as ruling elders; James S. Carson and Levi Redman as deacons; John O. Lattimore, Thomas Graham, Joseph Miller and Robert Tweedy as trustees. This was done in the spring of 1869. It was not long until William G. Simpson was added to the eldership, and it may be here said that when elected to this office in this church they were expected to serve for life, unless they moved out of the bounds of the chruch.

It was along about this time that the Madison Presbyterian met in this church. We can give an account of each year's doings, but pass on through the years in which the church had the services of Mas. m. McCrea and James Clark Burt, to the year 1881 when the church was visited by Evangelist Walter O. Lattimore, a grandson of Elder John Lattimore, and while conditions seemed unfavorable, the people were ready to do their part and went through rain and mud, and by the blessing of God many were added to the church, most of whom were young people; many of them devout workers today, some preachers of the gospel.

Passing over the years to 1902, years of earnest effort by many, but years in which many discouragements were present. Yet they who were in the church believed in the preseverance of the Saints. Among those who should be mentioned are: Simpsons, Grahams, Carsons, Lauders, Jameses, Pearces and Hesses. As a result of such faithfulness in 1903 the church was repaired and the belfry added and otherwise improved, which was followed by several precious years in which the members were encouraged and many added under the ministry of J.H. Weaver and Daniel Simpson, assisted by evangelists, for the past five years the church has had several as stated supply, and now has Rev. H.M. Rogers.

In the 100 years 26 ministers have served the church. Organizations are measured by what they are, what they have been, or the objects aimed at. And since organizations are made up of men and women, we can not expect more of such organizations than the lives of the men and women who compose it will warrant; and since the men and women into whose lives we have been looking have been a people of God, in whom God's love dwelt, who had by consecrating themselves to His and their lives to his services been brought under the leading influences of the Holy spirit and kept in the straight and narrow path, so amidst all the hardships, disappointments or discouragements the church never once gave up. So amidst all of the vicissitudes of the hundred years which have come and gone this church has been a meeting place where spiritual strength might be renewed; a place where the young have been instructed in the ways of righteousness by the twenty-six ministers who have labored here; and an organization through which possibly 500 souls have passed in their life journey from the cradle to the grave or from earth to heaven, where perhaps several times that number has paused to hear about God and their souls' salvation; an organization in which so many young men and women received instruction enabling them to form a Christian Character, and enabling them to be valiant soldiers in the army of the Lord.

Nor yet is that all; A dozen ministers of the gospel have been proud to point to Old Graham Church as a place dear to their hearts because of instructions received or because of having descended from families who belonged here. Among these we may mention: Rev. Daniel Lattimore, whose labors were largely in Jennings County; Rev. Samuel Lattimore, who went to the south and became a Baptist preacher; Rev. John Q. McKeehan; Rev. David W. Moffatt, who served a long pastorate in the 1st Church of Fort Wayne; Rev. E.S. Miller, whose ancestors were here, although Hopewell Presbytery of Johnson County claims him as a son; Rev. George Giboney; Thomas J. Giboney; Rev. William Lattimore now of Lewiston, Idaho; Rev. Ezra Giboney, Seattle, Washington; Rev. Daniel Simpson, who served here for eight years 1904 to 1912, now of Gilman, Illinois; Rev. Charles Bernheisel, now a missionary in Korea; Rev. David McCaslin. Six of the above have answered the summons 'Come up higher'. Four of the ministers named above are descendants of Elder John Lattimore: two sons, one grandson, one great-grandson.

Thus, if judged by the objects aimed at as before stated, viz., a meeting place for spiritual refreshment, for the spread of the gospel of Christ to the end that the young might be brought up in the fear of God, must we not say it has been all it was aimed to be? If judged by what it has been or by the influences set in motion, who of us can say it has not been worth while? None of us are old enough to know of the 1st ministers who have already been named, but many of us can remember some who followed, and as we recall the work they loved, in which list belong Rev. C. Lee, J. Mitchell, James Gilchrist, and S.E. Barr, we say "worthwhile" if judged by what it is with membership of Simpsons, headed with Mrs. Damsel Lattimore Simpson, a grand daughter of the Elder John Lattimore, daughter of Elder John O. Lattimore who is today the oldest member of the church, having joined the church Oct. 2, 1851; Next the Grahams, some of whom have been helpers in this church since its organization, while most of the family moved to Johnson County and helped or were instrumental in the organization of Shilo, Bethany, Hopewell and Franklin Presbyterian churches; Elbridge G. Graham, great grandson of Elder Thomas Graham, is here with his family to help in the work; next the Carsons who have been represented in the working force of the church since 1835. Associated with the above named we have members of the following names: Lauder, Perry, Ferguson, Palmer, Moorehead, Hansel, Davis, Pfeiffer, and others; with but one elder on the ground, John O. Simpson, great grandson of Elder John Lattimore; the other elder, David M. Carson, now in Columbus, Ohio. Is Graham Presbyterian Church a failure because her members are few who are in the field ready to answer to the call each time? Is it a time to laud all who have gone before and because we are few give up in dispair? A voice answers no, a thousand no. 'Despise not the day of small things' nor 'Judge the Lord by feeble sense but trust Him for His grace.' Let us think of the little band of seventeen of 1817 who worshipped here in the woods; of the twenty-five of 1818; of the thirty three of 1832; and the discouraged band of 1863 to 1868, when she only had one elder alive,- and meditate that only eternity can reveal all that has been accomplished through the instrumentality of the old church under the blessing of Almighty God; and remember shas a half dozen sons yet preaching the gospel; and if then faint hearted, visit the little silent city where rest the remains of the men and women dear to many here today, and pray God that a double portion of their mantle of love and devotion to God and Old Graham Church may fall upon us well as the present members of the Graham Church of today, to help by prayers as in former years. The Graham Church of long ago has been transplanted, not on Graham's fork but in the Eternal Mansions of Glory by the river of life. The Fathers, where are they? If the roll were called and the elders who have served in the past century could speak to this church, would they say, 'Give up' Nay, verily they were not the weak kind.

Only one question remains to be answered concerning the continuance of the organization, 'Are the people willing to pay the price?' The same building stands, the same organization exists, the same triune God rules.

Some of the members of the present organization are descendants of its founders; have they the faith, courage and determination, the same reverential fear of God to inspire their helpers to heroic self sacrificing service? If so, the work will continue, and Graham Presbyterian chuch will be heard from in coming days.


  It has been taken from the Graham Presbyterian Session minutes which we have at the Library on Microfilm my notes in this color purple Sheila Kell


This may certify all whom it may concern, that on Lord's Day, August 10th,1817, agreeably to previous consultation and mutual agreement a Church of Christ was planted on Fork in Jennings County, State of Indiana, when seventeen persons hereafter named, came forward in the midst of a respectable congregation and by entering into covenant and adopting a confession of faith where declared a Church of Christ, entitled to all the priviledges of Christ's house and the seals of the Everlasting Covenant.

Nathan B. Derrow, V. D. M., Missionary from Connecticut

By agreement this church was called Concord, but the name was afterward changed to Graham's Church. August 10, 1817 the following persons were enrolled as members of Concord, or Graham Church:
George Shiliday
Jane Shiliday
Robert Watson
James McCartney* *cut off for intemperance, June 30, 1832
John Miller
John Lattimore
Thomas Graham, Jr.
Sanmuel S. Graham
Catherine Johns
Jane Miller
Isabelle Lattimore - died Feb. 16, 1831
Martha Miller
Mary Graham
Esther Graham - died Sept. 6, 1832
Elizabeth Watson (Ann)
Jane Watson
The following persons were received by certificate, August 29th, 1818
Thomas Graham and wife, Polly Graham
George Thompson and wife, Nancy Thompson
The following received by examination:
Chapman Denslow
Elisha Thompson
Margaret Shiliday

There is no record of membership until 1832,
admitted on May 27, 1832, by profession
Mr. Joseph Carnes
Mrs. Mina Carnes
Emily Thompson
Margaret Gallaway
Jackson Gallaway

Aug. 29, by profession
Walter B. Goodhue
Esther Goodhur
Mrs. Jinsy Carson
Lovina Watson
Huldah Watson
Elizabeth Shilliday
Zerilda Thompson
Zerilda Davis
Mary Jane Graham
Jane Winchester
Ann Lattimore
Eliz. Julian Galloway
James H. McCaslin
James G. McCaslin
Eliza Jane McCaslin
George McKeehan and wife-by letter

August 20, 1832, received by profession
Mrs. John Torbit
Joseph Hendricks
Harriet Hendricks
Samuel Shilliday

Nov. 4, by profession
William L. Miller
Rhoda Miller
John F. Carson
William Lattimore
Alanson Andrews
Washington Miller-by letter


By order of the Presbytery upon petition of members of this church at their fall session 1832, it is divided, and those members situated south of Bear Creek, are constituted into a new church.

According to this vote the persons continuing members and officers of this church are the following:
John Lattimore-died Sept. 1859
George McCaslin-dism. by letter
Jas. Miller-died Jan. 1867
George McKeehan-dism by letter
Elizabeth McKeehan-dism by letter
William Carson-died Oct 10th, 1841
& wife Jane Carson
Felix Carson-died March 11th, 1865
& wife Mary Carson-died July 1841
Jane Carson-joined Baptist Church
Joseph Carnes-joined Secedar (?)
& wife Mina
John Torbit-joined Baptist
& Mary Torbit-joined Baptist
Joseph Hendricks-joined Baptist
& Hariet Hendricks-joined Baptist
Elizabeth Carson-joined Methodist
John T. Carson-died July 25, 1838
Ann Lattimore-dism. by letter
William Lattimore-joined Baptist
John Vanwie-dism. by letter(Vanwy)
Mary Vanwie-dism. by letter(Vanwy)
Jane Miller-dism. by letter
Martha Miller-dism. by letter
Minerva Miller-dism. by letter
Malissa Miller-dism. by letter
George D. Miller-dism. by letter
Sarah Miller
Richard McCaslin-died
Nancy McCaslin-joined Baptist
William Allen-dism.
& wife Rhoda Allen-dism.
James G. McCaslin-joined Baptist
Martha Lindley-joined reformed Baptist
Elizabeth Ann McCaslin
Rachel McCaslin-dism. by letter
Anzeline McCaslin-joined Methodist
James H. McCaslin-removed without letter
Walter Carson-died February 8, 1863
John O. Lattimore
James McKeehan-dism. by letter
James S. Thompson-withdrawn
Elizabeth Carson-died August
Elizabeth Leiper-dism.
E. J. Leiper-dism.
Margarette Leiper-dism.
Daniel Lattimore-died March 7, 1857
Martha Lattimore
James P. Carson-died Dec. 1852
Laura Lattimore-dism. by letter
Elizabeth McCaslin-dism. by letter
Eliza Jane McCaslin-dism. by letter
Elizabeth Jane Carson-dism.
Jane McClelan-died Sept 1841
James Graham-departed this life
Sarah Graham-died time unknown
Betsy Ann Tweedy-died October 21, 1855
Mrs. _________ Peregrine-died-time unknown
Hannah Lattimore
Ann Ashley-dead
Catharine Bergen-died August 22, 1849
Simeon V. Bergen-joined Baptist
Phillip Jones-joined the new school
Herriet Jones-joined the new school
Sarah Leitch-dism by letter
Mary Jane Carson-dism by letter
Samuel B. Mcgeehan-dism by letter
Eliza Leitch-dism by letter
Susanna Clark-dism by letter
Ezekiel Kernear-dism by letter
Eliza Kernear-dead
James M. Torbit-dism by letter
Robert L. Torbet-dism by letter
John L. Torbet-dism by letter
Anthony B. Carson-dead
Thomas Graham
Nancy Graham-died
Damsel Lattimore
Sarah M. Carson-dism by letter
Elizabeth J. Carson-not 'nown'
Louisa G. Carson-dism by letter
William Carson
Mary Carson-died 1856
Sarah Kinnear-dism. by letter
Jane Delap-dism by letter
Robert Leich-dism by letter
Mary Tweedy
Portis Savage
Emiline Savage-dead
Rebecca Wilson
Ann Moriah Johnson
Elisabeth Catell-dism by letter
Martha Torbet-dism by letter
Sarah Catharine Leitch-dism by letter
Minerva R. Lee-dism by letter
Salina Graham
Walter Carson-restored

A List of the names of persons baptized in the church
Isabella C. Lattimore
Louisa Lattimore
Jemima Lattimore
Joseph W. Miller
John H. Carson
Mary Carson
Walter M. Carson
Daniel C. Carson
Eliza McCaslin
George S. McCaslin
William D. McCaslin
Esther S. McCaslin
John McCaslin
Hervey G, McCaslin
John Q. McKeehan
Mary Jane McKeehan
Lucy G. McCaslin
Thomas W. H. McCallon
Samuel McCaslin
David McCaslin
Jermiah McCaslin
George W. McCaslin
Alexander W. McCaslin
John F. C. McCaslin
Almanda McCaslin
Richard McCaslin
Hesse Jane McCaslin

May 26th 1833
Leman Carnes
Oliver Carnes
William Carnes
Acenith Carnes
Nancy Jane Carnes
Julia Carnes
Manville Carnes
Joseph Michel Lattimore
Betsy Ann McKeehan

April 4th, 1834
Macena Miller
Betsy Jane Miller
Henry W. McCaslin

October 25th,1834
James Metcalf Lattimore

March 22nd, 1835
Cornelia, infant dau. of George and Elizabeth McKeehan

August 9, 1835
James Henry, infant son of William and Rhoda Miller
James Thompson, infant son of William and Jane Carson

November 15, 1835
Finley Crowe, infant son of Daniel & Martha Lattimore

June 25, 1836
Nancy Caroline, infant dau. of Richard & Nancy McCaslin

July 3, 1836
James S. Thompson-adult
Elizabeth Carson-adult
Matilda Catherine, Lewis Graham, and Mary Jane-infant children of Walter and Jane Carson

March 19, 1837
Susannah P. Clark-adult
Benjamin Franklin, Sally Michel, Anthony Bagely & Walter-children of James & Elizabeth Caron
William Henry-infant son of Walter & Jane Carson
Henry Harrison, infant son of William & Rhoda Miller
Martha Lattimore, infant dau. of George and Elizabeth McCaslin<

August 12, 1836
Nancy Ann, infant dau of John and Nancy Lattimore
William Samuel, infant so of Daniel and Martha Lattimore
Hervey Newton, infant son of Elizabeth Jane Carson
Elizabeth Jane Carson-adult

January 27, 1839
John Marion and Elizabeth Jane, infant children of James & Minerva McCaslin
Martha Ann, daug. of George & Rhoda Miller
Eliza Emily, daug. of George & Elizabeth McKeehan

August 25, 1839
W.P. Shields-adult
Margaret Graham-adult
; Isabella Vanwy-adult

January 1840
Minerva Catherine, daug. of Richard and Nancy McCaslin

April 5, 1840
Mary Elizabeth and Margaret Ann, infant children of Chas. & Margaret Graham
John Calvin, Martha Jane & Michel, infant children of John & Mary Vanwy
Elizabeth Jane, daug. of James P. & Elizabeth Carson
Martha Maria, infant daug. of John & Nancy Lattimore
Sophia McCaslin-adult

Audust 2, 1940
Emily Stiles-adult

September 6, 1840
Abigail Ladoo?-adult

February 14, 1841
Anne Caroline, infant daug. of John & Polly Vanwy
Samuel McCalla-adult
Nancy McCalla-adult

March 21, 1841
William Clinton Thompson, infant son of Wm. & Rhoda Miller

March 13, 1842
Sarah Ellen, infant daug. of Geo. & E. McKeehan

October 16, 1842
Mary Vanwy-adult
W.O. Carson-adult
Jane W. Carson-adult

October 19, 1942
Jensey E. Graham-infant
W.W. Carson-infant

June 25, 1843
Betsy Ann Tweedy-adult
Mary Melvina Miller-infant
Louisa America Carson-infant
John Thomas Jelf-infant

December 25, 1843
George McKeehan-infant

November 7, 1847
Martha McLurer, George Washington, James Gillum, and Mary Elizabeth, children of Simeon and Catherine Bergen

May 7, 1848
Isabella Carson, infant daug. of Walter & Jensy Carson
Calvin Jelf, infant son of William & Isabella Jelf

September 29, 1851
James M. Torbet-adult
Robert Torbet-adult

October 3, ?
J.L. Torbet, Thomas Graham, Nancy Graham, Damsel Lattimore, E.J. Carson and L.G. Carson-adults

May __ 1853
William infant son of Robert & Eliza Leitch

December 30, 1853
Emma Matilda Torbet, infant daug. Robert & Mary J. Torbet

September 30, 1855
Mary Tweedy-adult

May 11, 1856
Wm. S. Torbet, infant son of John L. & Martha Torbet
John Richard Leitch, infant son of Robert & Eliza Leitch

November 30, 1856
Martha Lee, infant daug. of Charles & Minerva R. Lee

March 23, 1857
Isabell Jane, infant daug. of Robert S. & Mary J. Torbet

March 26, 1857
William A. Graham-adult
Margaret Ann Graham-adult

May 1858
Walter M. Carson, infant son of Lewis G. & Mary Carson
Mary Jeney(Jiney), infant daug. of Wm. S. & Matilda C. Winchester

August 21, 1859
Mary Olive Thomas, Benjamin Franklin, children of Francis & Nancy Tweedy
Nancy Tweedy-adult
Walter Lee Torbet, infant son of Robert & Mary J. Torbet

July 29, 1860
Robert T. Carson, infant son of Lewis & Mary Carson
Sarah Lewis, infant daug. of Wm. A. & Matilda C. Winchester

August 1861
William Henry Savage-adult

Oct. 1861
Daniel J. Lattimore


Andrew Tweedy-adult
Margaret F. Lattimore-adult
Electa Lattimore-adult
Allison Carnes-adult
Jane Carson Tweedy-adul
Hannah L. Lee-adult
Jos. S. Carson-adult
John Muster-adult
Nancy Carson-adult
John Muster-adult
Nancy Carson-adult
John Jordan-adult
Nancy Redman-adult
Levi Redman-adult
Elizabeth Redman-adult
Margaret Redman-adult
James Muster-adult
Charles W. Redman-adult
Jos. L Shepherd-adult
Elizabeth Jones-adult
Leora Jane Newkirk-adult
Geo. W. Earl-adult
David H. Shepherd-adult
Prior P. Lee-adult
John Owen Simpson-infant son of W.G. and Damsel Simpson
John L. Tweedy-adult
Margaret Jordan-adult
Elbridge G. Graham-adult
Delilah E. Carson-adult
Lucy Carson-infant daughter of W.A. and Margaret Graham
Ellen Carson-infant daughter of W.A. and Margaret Graham
Eddie Winterstien-adult
Alford Pharis-adult

Mary Winterstien-adult

March 30, 1833
The com. of presbytery appointed to examine these records, reported great omissions and irregularities thereupon the presbytery resolve that the session be directed to make out the best history they can of their proceedings and to be more particular in future.

March 19, 1936
At a meeting of the Graham Church according to previous notice, Dr. Matthews presiding, the church entered into an election for pastor of the church. Whereupon it appeared that Mr. Daniel Lattimore, a licentiate of Madison Presbytery was unamimously elected to said office. A call being made out it was voted that the session subscribe said call.
George McKeehan, clk.

The following transcribed by by Sheila Kell, on 3/25/2012, from microfilm of the original minutes, at Jennings County Public Library.
June 30, 1832
Session met Present Per Mr. Parsons, Moderator, brs. Thoms Graham, Saml Graham, Geo. McCaslin & James Miller; Examined the following charges.
1. Br James McCartney presented for intemperance, Confessed the truth of one charge of others there could be no Doubt. Thereupon the Session after laboring to Dissuade him from the use of spirits entirely, in main Voted, that, as Mr McCartney has often been arraigned for this breach of christian & moral Duty & still seems unable to resist the temptation while he continues to Drink in any quantity, He be debarred from the communionof the church till he gives satisfactory evidence to the Session that he has determined to dispense entirely with the use of spiriteous liquors.

2. Brother Jas S Smyth voluntarily Submitted himself to the direction of the Session in regard to the most painfull case of Assault & Battery in which he was engaged on the 25th May. He pleaded nothing in examination of his faults but made substantially the following confessions & Acknowledgement "I feel deeply responsible that this whole transaction was entirely at varience with the Spirit of the Gospel & wounding to the cause of Christ. And I felt distressing sorrow on account of it immediately after its occurance. I have endeavored to confess and repent of it before God; and hope I have obtained his forgiveness. And I now present this acknowledgement to the Session to their disposal. The Session satisfied with the evidence of Mr Smyth Votes that he be restored to the Communion of the Church so soon as the cause of Christ shall be vindicated from reproach by this acknowledgement being made publick

3. Brother Geo McCaslon and Saml Dixon were summoned before the Session for unchristian conduct and feeling toward one another arising from a difficulty of long standing when the parties agreed to proceed immediately to trial Expression alleged by S. Dixon "the time is not far distant when all who do not join a Temperance Society our children will look down upon theirs with contempt or rather with pity" Brother McCaslon has no recollection of making this remark and disclaims feelings which it implies.
Judge Finnacle was called & testified that he heard the expression made & he thinks by Mr McCaslin. Does not recollect any thing said which induced the remark. Thinks there was something said to this effect, that "The object of the The Effort was not to reclaim drunkards but to guard the young." Does not recollect that S. Dixon used the Expression in form of a question.
Saml Shillideay testified that he heard Mr. McCaslin make the remark,leaning against the counter. - Discovered nothing like anger or resentment, understood him to mean that he believed the friends of temperance would sometime look down on those who continued to drink with contempt.
Ephraim Shillideay-"Man was paying with a jugg & McCaslin said. "I look forward to the time when our children will look down upon yours with contempt." Patrick Dixon said "I don't like this contempt." Geo replied "rather with pity." Thinks the remark did not have reference to the man with a jugg.
John Dixon I met Mr. McCaslin sometime afterward & we agreed in all but contempt.
In view of this testimony this Session formed the following opinion. "We think the expression alleged, was probably used by Br. McCaslin & was an injudicious one. But, we consider it no matter of discipline & unworthy of serious regard & all the Difficulty which has sprung from it, as arising from Missunderstanding & prejudice. We feel therefore that these brethern have no just cause of Difference & exhort them to lay aside all hardness & bring oblivian all that is past & strive only to outlive each other in ardor of brotherly love & devotion.

North Vernon Plain Dealer August 22, 1936

Edifice of Graham Presbyterians Burned on Eve of Anniversary.
    The Graham Presbyterian Church in Lovett Township was destroyed by fire at about one o'clock Saturday afternoon. Motorists on Highway 3, about one mile from the building, saw the fire and notified John and Adam Ross, who spread the word among the people of the community. The flames had gained such headway when discovered that it was impossible to save wither the building or its contents. All of the church furniture was destroyed except the communion service, which was not in the church at the time.
    Although the origin of the fire is unknown it is believed by many that it started from a match or cigarette tossed aside by someone passing on the road. The flames burned over the church cemetery before the fire was extinguished. Those who viewed the ruins expressed surprise at the fact that a small American flag, which marked a soldier's grave, remained untouched by the flames that destroyed grass and shrubbery of the cemetery leaving the flag standing in a charred area.
    The church was destroyed on the eve of the 119th anniversary of the organization and plans had been made all day meeting celebrating the event. The church building which was destroyed was built in the year 1851 during the pastorage of the Rev. Daniel Lattimore, who was a great uncle of the present pastor, the Rev. Daniel C. Simpson. The church was organized about the time that Indiana became a state and is the oldest Presbyterian church in the county. A short time ago the Ladies Aid Society of the church, had pews and woodwork refinished. The loss was partially covered by insurance.
    On the Sabbath day following the fire the annual anniversary homecoming was held under the trees near the church ruins. Many churches and communities, near and distant were represented in the crowd that gathered for the event. The sermonin the morning was preached by the Rev. W.W. Logan, D.D., of Louisville, Ky., and in the afternoon the Rev. Robert Lodwick, of Scipio, brought the message.     While the smoke from the ruins was still rising, the officers of the church held a meeting on the church grounds and unamimously recommended that plans be made for a new building. A meeting for further consideration of plans was held Monday evening at the home of Jas. Carson.
    Sunday School will be held, Sunday at the home of Mrs. Anna Graham.

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and