Randolph County, Indiana
Lincoln Sherman Chase Reinheimer
progress may well be said to form the keynote of the character of Lincoln
Sherman Chase Reinheimer, formerly a well-known merchant of Winchester and
for a number of years past a dealer in real estate, and he has not only been
interested in the work of advancement in individual affairs but his influence
is felt in upbuilding the community where he has always resided. He has been a
very industrious man all his life, striving to keep abreast of the times in
every respect, and as a result every mile-post of the years he has passed has
found him farther advanced, more prosperous, more sedate and with a broader
view of life in all its immensity, and with a larger number of friends than the
was born in Winchester, Indiana, February 25, 1866. He is a son of Peter
and Elizabeth (Irwin) Reinheimer. The father was a native of Eastern
Pennsylvania, and the mother was born in North Carolina. They came west with
their families when each were young in years, both the Reinheimers and Irwins
locating near New Paris, Preble county, Ohio, and there the parents of our
subject grew to maturity, received common school educations and were married.
Remaining in the Buckeye state until December, 1865 the family removed to
Winchester, Indiana, and here Peter Reinheimer became landlord of the Franklin
House, which he continued to conduct in a successful manner and one that
was highly satisfactory to the traveling public for a period of twenty years,
his hostelry becoming one of the best known and most popular in this section of
the state. In fact, he spent the rest of his life here engaged in the hotel
business, dying in June, 1885, his widow surviving two years, joining him in
the Silent Land, mentioned by the old German poet, in May, 1887. They were
hard-working, hospitable and honest people, whom everybody respected.
The subject of this
sketch was born and reared in the Franklin Hotel here and when a boy he
assisted his parents in operating the same, attending the city schools during
the winter months. When but a boy he became a grocer's delivery wagon driver,
and he clerked for about six years, giving satisfactory service, and in the meantime,
being ambitious and quick minded he learned every phase of the grocery
business, and finally opened a store of this nature himself and was highly successful
from the start, following the grocery business for a period of twenty years,
during which time he enjoyed a large and lucrative trade with the city and
county as a result of his good management and courteous and honest treatment of
his patrons. Accumulating a competency and tiring of the close confinement of
his store, Mr. Reinheimer retired from the active affairs of life in
June, 1911 since which time he has not been actively engaged in
anything; however, he has handled some real estate.
Mr. Reinheimer was married on March 16, 1892 to E. Olive
Bales, daughter of Joseph L. and Malinda (Thornburg) Bales a highly
respected Randolph county family. Here Mrs. Reinheimer grew to womanhood
and received a common school education.
To the union of our subject and wife one daughter, Helen, has been
born. She is a graduate of the Winchester high school, and is now a student at
Hanover College, where she is making a splendid record.
Politically Mr. Reinheimer has always been a Republican, and has
been more or less active in the ranks of the same, active in public matters as
pertaining to the general welfare of Winchester and Randolph county. He is now
serving as a member of the city council and is doing much for the permanent
good of the town, being an ardent advocate of civic improvements. He is
president of the Randolph Club, an organization of business and professional
men, where party lines are not drawn, all working for the good of Winchester
and Mr. Reinheimer has been very largely responsible for the large
success of this praiseworthy club. He is a member of Winchester Lodge, No.91,
Knights of Pythias. The family affiliate with the Methodist Episcopal church.
The Reinheimer residence, a cozy well-furnished one, is located at 303 South
Main street, in one of the most desirable sections of the city, and it is known
to the many friends of the family as a place of hospitality.
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis
Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual
scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required
to access the link, but no commercial
use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.