Randolph County, Indiana
Ernst E. Chenoweth
One of the best
known and most successful of the younger members of the Randolph county bar is Ernst
E. Chenoweth, of Winchester, formerly one of the most prominent educators.
He has always been an assiduous student and is therefore a man of scholarly
attainments and gifted by nature for a professional career, so we do not hesitate
to predict for him a future replete with large success and usefulness.
Chenoweth was born November 12, 1874, at Hollandsburg, Darke county, Ohio.
He is a son of John M. and Lydia A. (Bowen) Chenoweth. The father was
born in Maryland and the mother in Randolph county, Indiana, and here she grew
to womanhood and received her education. Her parents were well-known in the
early history of the county. John M. Chenoweth grew to manhood in his
native state and was educated in the public schools. He came to Randolph
county, Indiana, in 1862, remaining about two years, then returned to the East
for a short time, but came back to Randolph county. In 1863 he enlisted in
Company H, Sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served
faithfully until the close of the war, participating in the many battles of the
regiment, but was never wounded or taken prisoner. After being honorably
discharged from the service he returned to Indiana, and he and Lydia Bowen
were married on January 14, 1867, and began housekeeping on eighty acres of
land lying in the very southeastern corner of Randolph county. Soon afterwards
they removed to Richmond, Indiana, and remained there two years, moving from Richmond
to Hollandsburg in 1873, and in 1877 returned to the farm in Randolph county,
where they continued to reside until 1909, in which year they went back to
Hollandsburg, Ohio, where they still reside. The father was a tinner by trade,
which he followed while a resident of Richmond and Hollandsburg, but after returning
to the farm, in 1877, he engaged exclusively in general agricultural pursuits
until 1909, when he retire from active life and moved to town.
To John M.
Chenoweth and wife five sons and two daughters were born, namely: Cora V.
is the wife of Alvin I. Hiatt, of Lynn, Indiana; Everett M. lives
at home; Sarah E., who married Lewis Mikesell, is deceased; John
B. resides at Lynn; Ernst E., of this sketch; Chester C.
lives in Wayne county, Indiana; Squire G. is operating the old
homestead. The father of these children has always been a loyal Republican, and
actively interested in public matters. He is a member of the Grand Army of the
Republic post at Spartanburg. He and his wife belong to the Christian church.
Chenoweth was reared on the home farm, where he did his share of the
general work during the crop seasons, and during the winter attended the public
schools in his neighborhood. He was graduated from the Hollandsburg high school
in 1894, after which he attended Lebanon University, at Lebanon, Ohio, for a
year, then was a student at the Normal School at Danville, Indiana, completing
the scientific course and was graduated from that institution with the class of
1896. He then attended the Indiana State Normal at Terre Haute for one year.
Thus exceptionally well equipped for the serious work of life he began teaching
in 1896; however, this was before entering the State Normal, and after leaving
that institution he continued teaching for a period of seven years in the
district schools of Randolph county, during which his services were in great demand.
But finally tiring of the school room and believing that his true bent
was in another direction, he began studying law in the summer of 1900 in the
office of S. A. Canada, of Winchester, and taught in the winter, completing
his law course, and was admitted to the bar in the summer of 1903. He was admitted
to practice by the supreme court in1906. He gave up teaching permanently in the
spring of 1905, and engaged in the practice of law with S. A. Canada,
under the firm name, of Canada & Chenoweth, and they still continue,
being successful from the first, and this is now recognized as one of the strongest
law firms in Randolph county and one of the busiest.
Mr. Chenoweth is a
member of the county and state bar associations. In the fall of 1910 he was elected
prosecuting attorney of Randolph county, serving one term in a manner that
reflected much credit upon himself and to the eminent satisfaction of his
constituents, doing as much in those two years for the enforcement of law and order
as had any other man. He was elected justice of the peace in 1905, and served a
term of five years, giving satisfaction to all concerned, his decisions being
noted for their uniform fairness and clear insight into the basic laws of jurisprudence
and the statutes of the state of Indiana, and his decisions were never revoked at
the hands of a higher tribunal. Politically, he is a staunch Republican, and
active and influential in local public affairs. He has been a member of the Republican
County Central Committee.
was married August 2, 1902, to Cora B. Stapelton, a daughter of Samuel
J. Stapelton, of Darke county, Ohio. To this union two children have been born,
Cecil E., whose birth occurred May 22, 1903; and Dale M., born June
22, 1911. Mr. Chenoweth is a member of the Masonic Order, including the Chapter
and Council. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias; the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, including the Encampment; the Improved Order of Red Men,
including the Haymakers; he also belongs to the Modern Woodmen, and the Sons of
Veterans. He and his wife are members of the Christian church and are active in
church and Sunday school work. His office is in the Red Men's Building, and his
home on East Franklin street.
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis
Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual
scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required
to access the link, but no commercial
use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.