Orange County Obituaries


McDONALD, Abner, Springs Valley Herald (May 4, 1933) Death Notice
Abner McDonald, 50, died Friday afternoon at the home of his sister, Mrs. Tom Condra of this place. Death was due to a heart attack following an illness from diabetes of several months.
Mr. McDonald was one of the well known and popular business men of French Lick having for years conducted a restaurant on Wells Avenue.
Funeral services were conducted at the M. E. Church here Monday afternoon by Rev. A. L. Meredith of Salem, former pastor of the local church. Burial was on the family plot at Moores Ridge cemetery.
He is survived by one son, Glenn, his father, Kinsey McDonald, two sisters, Mrs. George Hunt of Indianapolis and Mrs. Tom Condra of French Lick, and one brother, Elvis, of Texas. W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of funeral arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (May 4, 1933) Obituary
Abner McDonald was born February 25, 1883 and departed this life April 28th, 1933 at the age of 50 years, 2 months and 3 days. He was the son of Kinsey and Ruhama McDonald. He was born in Martin County, Indiana where he spent his childhood days on a farm, then he moved with his family to Orange County, Indiana, living on a farm in Northwest Township for quite a while. When a young man he came to French Lick and began his business career. He was married to Cora Condra in 1905 to which there was born two boys, Jack and Glenn McDonald. His wife, Cora, departed this life September 27, 1913. He took the two small boys to live with their Aunt Vicie and their uncle Tom Condra, and they made their home with their Aunt Vicie until January 13, 1931, when God saw fit to take Jack to his Heavenly Home.
At the tender age of thirteen years Abner was converted in the Methodist Church. His greatest desire in life was to make the pathway brighter for others. He had a kind word and cheerful smile for everyone. A few weeks ago he renewed his faith and was baptized by Brother Meredith. He told the family just prior to his passing that he was going Home to be with his wife and members of his family that had already passed from this life.
He leaves to mourn his loss a son, Glenn, his aged father, Kinsey McDonald, two sisters, Vicie Condra, French Lick, Edna Hunt, Indianapolis, and one brother, Elvis of Houston, Texas, and a host of friends.


We wish to extend our sincere thanks to our relatives, friends and neighbors for their kindness and sympathy in our recent bereavement in the death of our brother, Abner McDonald. We also thank the undertaker, Mr. Ritter, pallbearers and those who sent floral offerings, special thanks to the singers and the Rev. A. L. Meredith. The Family. Submitted by Tom Agan.

CASE, James, Springs Valley Herald (May 4, 1933) Death Notice
James Case, 56 years old, died Sunday at his home near Hillham.
Funernal services were conducted at the home Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Goins with interment in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He is survived by his wife, one daughter, two brothers, Harry and Charley, and one sister, Mrs. John Harmon. He is also survived by one niece, Mrs. H. E. Toll of Detroit, Michigan and one nephew, Desco Case, of Dayton, Ohio.
Schmutzler had charge of the funeral. Submitted by Tom Agan.

LINE, Martha E., Springs Valley Herald (May 4, 1933) Obituary
Martha E. (Milburn) Line was born near Hillham, Indiana, January 18, 1853. She died April 24, 1933, age 80 years, 3 months and 6 days. She was united in marriage to John Line, July 26, 1981. To this union was born six children: J. William, George E., Mary L., Herbert, Walter and Julia. Her companion and three children, William, George and Julia preceded her in death.
Early in life she united with the United Brethren Church and later, with her companion, joined the Primitive Baptist Church which she attended as long as her health would permit.
Mother Line, who had been seriously ill for three weeks, talked of death to her children and grandchildren, and said, "I am ready to go. all is well."
Our loss is Heaven's gain.
There were twenty-three grandchildren and fifteen great grandchildren. Besides these there are two brothers, George and William Milburn and two sisters, Margery Conrad and Jane Cox, and a host of relatives and friends who mourn her loss.
Funeral services were conducted at Moores Ridge, Wednesday at 2 p.m. by Rev. Wm. Hancock. Schmutzler had charge of the arrangements.


We, the children of Mrs. Line, wish to express our heartfelt thanks to the many friends for their acts of kindness, to Rev. Hancock for his consoling words, to the ones who furnished the cars, to Mr. Schmutzler, to the ones who furnished the music and singing, for the beautiful flowers, to the ones who prepared the grave and for every token of love. The Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

WHITE, David, Springs Valley Herald (May 25, 1933) Death Notice
David White, age 37, son of Mrs. Lottie While, who has been afflicted with tuberculosis of the bone for some time passed away Monday night. Funeral services were conducted at Mt. Lebanon Tuesday by Rev. Goins. Interment was made in the nearby cemetery.
He is survived by his mother, three sisters and three brothers. Submitted by Tom Agan.

ALEXANDER, John, Springs Valley Herald (June 1, 1933) Death Notice
Coroner R. L. Holiday, after an investigation of the death of John Alexander, 65, whose body was recovered from Lick Creek Sunday, returned a verdict of homicide Monday.
Alexander left his home in Chambersburg at 4 o'clock last Thursday morning to assist a farmer west of Paoli to shear sheep. His failure to return home Thursday night resulted in the search which continued until Sunday before the body was found. Sheriff Harry Hammond conducted the search which included the dragging of Lick Creek for miles near to the place where the missing man's car was found parked in a field close to state road 56, three miles west of the county seat.
Post mortem examination disclosed that death was caused by a blow on the head, and the absence of water from the victims lungs indicated that death did not occur from drowning. Several theories as to how he came by his death are held by officials, but no clue as to who dealt the death blow has been found.
Alexander was, until recently, an employee of the state highway department. He is survived by his wife, a son in Bedford, and a daughter, Mrs. Merle Newlin of Indianapolis.
Funeral services were held at the Paoli Methodist Church Monday afternoon. Submitted by Tom Agan.

GULLETT, Elizabeth F., Springs Valley Herald (June 22, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Elizabeth Gullett, age 82, died at her home in Jackson Township June 14th from aterio sclerosis. funeral services were conducted at Mt. Zion Saturday, June 17th, by Rev. Evans with burial at the Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of the funeral.

Springs Valley Herald (June 22, 1933) Obituary
Elizabeth F. Gullett was born in Crawford County, Indiana August 1st, 1851 and departed this life June 14th, 1933. Age 81 years, 10 months and 14 days.
She was united in marriage to Ezekiel Gullett October 4th, 1883. To this union was born four children, two of them preceding her to the great beyond. She leaves to mourn her departure her husband and two sons, John and Elmer Gullett, one step son, Charles Gullett of Logansport, Ind., one step daughter, Mrs. Mary Steincamp of Los Angeles, Calif., and one sister, Susana Shalles of Lincoln, Ill., several grandchildren and great grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.
She was converted when 19 years of age at Mt. Zion in Crawford County and united with the M. E. Church and lived a consistent christian until the close.


We wish to thank all our friends and neighbors for their kindness and help in the sickness and death of our dear wife and mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Gullett. Especially do we thank Rev. Evans for his consoling words, W. O. Ritter and wife for their kindness, the pall bearers and those who gave the beautiful flowers. Ezekiel Gullett and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

STOUT, Margaret, Springs Valley Herald (July 13, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Margaret Stout, age 70, died Sunday morning at the home of her niece, Miss Kate McIntosh on Michigan Street, after suffering three strokes.
Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Hardinsburg, Ind. Tuesday afternoon by Rev. H. B. McLemore of the First Christian Church of this place assisted by the pastor of the Hardinsburg church. Burial was at the Hardinsburg cemetery.
She is survived by one brother, George McIntosh of Oklahoma. Scott McIntosh of Hardinsburg had charge of funeral arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (July 13, 1933)
Those who attended the funeral of Mrs. Margaret Stout at Hardinsburg Tuesday afternoon were: Mr. and Mrs. Gallie Clay and daughter, Nancy Jane, Miss Kate McIntosh, Mrs. W. H. Beatty, Mrs. Maude Beaty, Mrs. J. J. Robbis and son, Aldis, Mrs. Otto Emmons, Tom Lane, Mr. and Mrs. Wlater Flick, Mrs. Harry Porter and daughter, Claribel, Mrs. Zeno Lashbrooks, Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Bullington, Cliff Bledsoe, Mrs. Isom Beaty and son, Forest, Miss Effie Southern, Mrs. Maude Seybold, Mrs. Enoch Hobson, Mrs. George Deremiah and Rev. H. B. McLemore. Submitted byTom Agan.

GREENLAW, Effie, Springs Valley Herald (July 13, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Effie Greenlaw, 64, died Thursday night at her home at the Windsor Hotel of nephritis after an illness of only a few days. The suddenness of her passing was a surprise and shock to her many friends and acquaintances who had seen her briskly attending the duties of her hotel just a few days before.
Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist Church Sunday afternoon by Dr. Frank R. Greer. Burial was at Ames Chapel cemetery.
She is survived by one son, Mr. Clyde Prow and one sister, Mrs. Ed Harrell of this place. Schmutzler had charge of the funeral.

Springs Valley Herald (July 13, 1933) Obituary
Effie Greenlaw, the daughter of Edmond Harrell and wife was born in Jackson County, Indiana, August 13, 1868, passed away July 6, 1933 at her home in the Windsor Hotel at French Lick, at 9 o'clock in the evening, being 64 years, 10 months and 23 days of age.
At the age of 17 she was joined in marriage to James C. Prow and to this union was born three children, namely, Clyde, Maud and Lucy Edna, the latter two passing on at the age of 12 and 2. preceding her in death.
In after years she was married to J. C. Elrod, who died shortly thereafter, and later was married to Bob Greenlaw of Huntingburg, Ind., a fireman on the Southern Railroad. Mr. Greenlaw died 14 years ago, and since which time Mrs. Greenlaw lived a widow.
While in early life she was converted and joined the M. E. Church, in her home county at that time at Bedford, but later united with the Methodist Church at French Lick.
About 30 years ago she came to West Baden, this county, and went into the hotel business, operated the New Lynn Hotel for some time, then went to the Cottage Hotel in French Lick, then she ran and operated the Wells Hotel and from there went to the St. Bernard Hotel, the latter was destroyed by fire in 1925 and late in that year she purchased the Windsor Hotel, the place of her death.
For and during all of those years she worked and labored herself, always taking the lead and helping all those about her to do what ever work was necessary to do; in fact the hardest jobs she took herself and did her part in the operation of her business from 4 o'clock in the morning until 9 o'clock at night you could always find Mrs. Greenlaw somewhere in her place of business busy doing something. The hour was not to late or too early for her to prepare a meal, take a glass of water, or give a good word to those about her.
In her presence there was a "Welcome" that opened the door of Gladness to everyone and around her everyone felt welcome.
She lived for her son and his family, Clyde Prow and Margie, his wife (as Mrs. Greenlaw called her) and the five grandchildren, Clyde, age 18, Margaret, age 17, Robert, age 13, Joe, age 9, and Jack, age 7. Her home was their home, their needs her needs, and every object in life was to aid and assist them. as her own, and the highest ambition of Mrs. Greenlaw was to see those children graduated of the French Lick High School. This in part she saw; Clyde Prow graduated with the class this year and Margaret will be in the class of 1934. She did not live long enough to see her object all accomplished, but she was only happy to put forth every effort for their success and happiness. The last day she lived, when death had closed the eyes until she could not see, and the boys were about her, she said, "Give me your little old sweet hands, I can tell which it is" and as they each took her by the hand she recognized the hands of each. that she had from babyhood administered to their wants.
She was happy when she was feeding the hungry; no matter whether they had the money to pay for it or not, they ate at her table if they knocked on her door and asked for bread. No one was ever turned away those in life so unfortunate to have no home or place of abode, but on the highways of our country were nourished and cared for by her, rich or poor, all were alike to her. It can truthfully be said, that no one in all of Orange County has given to those in need more than Mrs. Greenlaw, and as the traveler left her door they were admonished by her to do the right, live right and in the end, that they would not have to beg for food, but would sit at the table of Him who reigns above, where plenty will prevail.
In the passing of Mrs. Greenlaw, we lose one whom the world will miss charity ruled her life and the motto, "Give and it shall be given unto you," has built for her a monument that ages will never destroy.
She wanted to live. No matter how poorly she felt, when asked, would always say, "I feel fine, I'll be all right," but that strong determined will power kept her on her feet until at last she told the girls about her, "I an tired, now I just want to rest,"
When the evening sun sank to rest on the evening of July 6th, and twilight shadows were fast playing their part of bringing the shades of night, her life was fast passing into that Eternal Glory that God has prepared for the Faithful at heart, her death was sweet, without a struggle, without a murmur she passed from life to silence and pathetic dust, and as long as flowers and waterlillies look up to the sun to be kissed just that long will live the memory of Mrs. Greenlaw and her kindly deeds to others.
She leaves to mourn her death a son and his family, a brother and a sister and some more distant relatives. As a mother she was faithful to the end. As a friend she was always your friend. If happy she enjoyed it with you and tried to make it happier, in sorrow she was never forgetful of its clouds, but tried to share it with you and when every care was done for the day she always breathed a prayer to Him who is supreme and at the very last said, Lord if it is possible spare me a little longer.
That Old Rugged Cross, she often spoke of carrying, she has at last laid it down and exchanged it for a crown. The song she loved and often had sung, she is enjoying today, "I'll walk in the Gardens Alone, While the Dew is Still on the Roses."
But let us remember that God has prepared in the "Somewhere" the joys that enrich the soul, and since his hidden riches are for the faithful, today, her life while stopped here, has only opened, the door will swing and has swung ajar to dwell with those she loved, and is today beckoning for us to meet her Yonder.
Miss her? Yes, we'll miss her, from amongst our midst, the voice that bade you welcome is dead; the mother who loved her children is gone; the hand that administered to the hungry, needy and sick has been stilled; and as said to the girls about her in the last real conscience moments of her life, "I an tired now, I just want to rest."
A world of friends, everywhere, join today in the deepest sympathy with the son and his family in the loss of their mother.


We wish to thank the neighbors and many friends for their sympathy and kindness during the loss of our mother and grandmother, Mrs. Effie Greenlaw. We wish especially to thank Dr. Frank Greer, the minister, Mr. Ben Schmutzler, the undertaker, Mr. Ray Deremiah for his kindness and service rendered, Mr. Harry Carpenter for his kind assistance, the singer, those who sent the many beautiful floral tributes and those who furnished cars. Mr. and Mrs. Clyde H. Prow and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

HIGGINS, Lydia Ann, Springs Valley Herald (July 13, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Lydia Higgins, age 82, died July 9th at her home in Prospect from general senility.
Funeral services were conducted at Ritter's funeral chapel at 11:30 Tuesday morning by Rev. F. N. Denny of Indianapolis. Burial was at Ames Chapel cemetery.
She is survived by one son, Harry Higgins of Indianapolis and one daughter, Mrs. Maude Wilson of Prospect.
W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of funeral arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (July 20, 1933) Obituary
Lydia Ann Porter was born at the old Porter homestead near Abydel September 21, 1851.
She was the daughter of James S. and Elizabeth Patton Porter, two pioneer people of that neighborhood.
She was reared in this home of Christian influence and devotion and at the age of 16 years was converted and united with the Methodist Church at old Nelson Chapel. Later when Ames Chapel was built she became a member of that church.
She remained in the home where she was born until grown to young womanhood when she was united in marriage to Alonzo Higgins, son of Robert and Mary Shirley Higgins.
Unto this union two children were born, Harry and Maude.
This couple lived together until March 16, 1925, when the husband and father passed on.
The mother remained until July 10, 1933 when the spirit took its flight.
She is survived by the son, Harry E. Higgins, the daughter, Maude Higgins Wilson, one grandson and two granddaughters, children of Harry and Bessie DeMont Higgins and two great granddaughters, children of Clifford and Marguerite Higgins Courtney.
Her only brother, Will H. Porter preceded her in death 5 years ago.
Her request was complied with when a very quiet funeral service was held at Ritter Funeral Home conducted by Rev. N. F. Denny, after which the remains were taken to Ames Chapel and laid to rest beside the husband and father in the quiet city of the dead. Submitted byTom Agan.

BARKSDALE, Mary Katherine, Springs Valley Herald (July 20, 1933) Death Notice
Miss Mary Katherine Barksdale, 18, of Paoli was instantly killed when the automobile in which she was a passenger struck a culvert abutment on state road 56 near Hillham early Sunday morning. Mary Louise Braxton, 18, Russell Ralston, 18, both of Paoli, and Loren Jenner, 18, of Marengo, driver of the car, were seriously injured, but expected to recover.
The car was traveling at a high rate o speed when the accident occurred and all occupants rendered unconscious. It was two hours after the crash before the injured could be identified and their families notified.
Miss Braxton and Jenner were taken to St. Edwards hospital in New Albany where the girl was found to have suffered a broken thigh and serious injuries around the head. Jenner suffered severe scalp wounds and concussion. Ralston received only minor injuries.
Ben Schmutzler of French Lick was called to the scene of the accident and brought the injured parties to Dr. Dillinger's office here for first aid. He removed the body of Miss Barksdale to Paoli.
Funeral services for the Paoli girl were held in that place Tuesday afternoon. Submitted by Tom Agan.

FLICK, John F., Springs Valley Herald (July 20, 1933) Death Notice
John Flick, age 78, passed away at his home Saturday in the Cane Creek neighborhood after a long illness.
Funeral services were conducted at Cane Creek Sunday afternoon by Rev. Otho Jackson with interment in the adjoining cemetery.
Schmutlzer had charge of funeral arrangements. Submitted by Tom Agan.

KENLEY, Caroline Prudence, Springs Valley Herald (July 20, 1933) Obituary
Caroline Prudence Felkner, was born in Orange County, Ind., January 30, 1847, the daughter of John M. and Anne Pierce Felkner.
She was united in marriage Feb. 4, 1864 in West Baden to John J. Kenley, they having met when she was eight years of age. They were married when he was home on a furlough during the Civil War. This coming February they would have celebrated their seventieth wedding anniversary.
Mrs. Kenley lived in Indiana most of her life, the last sixty being spent in Terre Haute.
To this union six children were born, four having preceded her in death, Eddie, Albert, Conway and Louis; two daughters, Mrs. Mary E. Henry and Mrs. Bessie Hauck.
Besides the husband and two daughters, Mrs. Kenley was survived by eight grandchildren: Mrs. William A. Dunn of Montpelier, Ind.; Howard A. Kenley of Connorsville, Ind.; Robert J. Kenley, William K., Richard, Robert and Virginia Hauck and five great grandchildren, one brother, Thomas Felkner, four sisters, Mrs. Ella Olds, Mrs. Lidee Brown, Mrs. Belle Scott and Mrs. Lula Hayes, all of Hammond. Mrs. Kenley was a member of the Fourth Avenue Methodist Church, the Eastern Star Charter Member of the Women's Relief Corps and Daughters of the Union Veterans. She quietly left this life July 10, 1933 at the age of 86 years, five months and ten days. Submitted byTom Agan.

KERBY, Elmira A., Springs Valley Herald (July 27, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. William R. Kerby, age 72, passed away Sunday at her home near Briner Spring from cancer of the liver.
Funeral services were conducted at Ames Chapel Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Howard with interment in the adjoining cemetery.
She is survived by her husband and four children, Lester, Bert and Austin of near here and Mrs. W. M. Durnell of Indianapolis.
Schmutzler had charge of funeral arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (September 7, 1933) Obituary
Elmira A. Kerby, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Nelson, was born in La Grange County March 24, 1861 and departed this life July 23, 1933 at the age of 72 years, 3 months and 29 days.
She moved with her parents when a small child to Orange County where she grew into womanhood.
She was united in marriage to William R. Kerby October 28, 1882. To this union was born 6 children, 5 sons and one daughter. She was preceded in death by her two eldest sons, Thomas and Arthur. She is survived by her husband, 3 sons and one daughter.
Lester, Bert and Austin all live in French Lick township and Lola lived in Indianapolis. Besides her husband, sons and daughter, she leaves one brother, several grandchildren and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her departure.
She was converted several years ago and has lived a christian life ever since. She united with the Pentecost Church of French Lick in Jan. 1924. Her happiest moments were when she was able to attend her church. She was a loving wife and mother never tiring of doing good for someone else. Submitted byTom Agan.

PITCHER, Elizabeth, Springs Valley Herald (August 3, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Elizabeth Pitcher, 49, died Wednesday at her home from acute nephritis, after an illness of several weeks.
Funeral services will be conducted at the home tomorrow (Friday) at one o'clock by Rev. J. H. Propheter. Burial will be made in Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
She is survived by her husband, Sam Pitcher, and two brothers, Benjamin and Jabez Frentress of Indianapolis. W. V. Ritter & Son has charge of funeral arrangements. Submitted byTom Agan.

HARNED, William Clarence, Springs Valley Herald (August 10, 1933) Death Notice
Clarence Harned, age 48, died Wednesday morning at the Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis following the amputation of a leg. He had entered the hospital about two weeks ago and had at that time undergone a successful operation for ulcer of the stomach. Later an infection developed which made necessary the removal of the leg and Harned succumbed on the operating table.
Funeral services will be conducted tomorrow (Friday) afternoon at two o'clock at the United Brethren Church by Rev. O. W. Haynes. Burial will be made at a Paoli cemetery.
Mr. Harned was a member of the United Brethren Church, was for the past four years employed at the A. Burton and Son hardware store and was well known in the valley. He is survived by his wife, one son, Roger, his father and three sisters.
W. V. Ritter & Son has charge of funeral arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Obituary
William Clarence Harned, one of the five children and the only son, of George T. and Martha A. Harned, was born near Youngscreek, Indiana, on September 3, 1895 and departed this life on August 9, 1933, at the age of 47 years, 11 months and 6 days.
Clarence grew to manhood on the farm where he was born, assisting with the work on the farm and attending the country school. After completing the common school he attended Normal Schools for teachers and qualified himself and taught several schools in the county. His noble character was reflected in the lives of his pupils and was of such type that his return was always requested. His training was also extended to the Business College and proved to be of much pleasure to him in former positions, as well as those of more recent years.
What we may say of Clarence may pass without much thought or concern, but those who came in personal contact with him, will never forget the magnamimcus spirit and the keen interest he had in the uplift and forward movement of all mankind. His life was a light on a hill to the entire community. The radiant beams from his noble character were as candles to their feet and his sincerity and earnestness was forever beckoning them onward and upward.
On May 9, 1914 he was united in marriage to Grace McKnight of Orleans, Indiana, who was also a teacher. To this union two sons were born; Roger Lee and Joseph Thomas. The circle of this happy family was broken when Joseph Thomas at the age of four years passed on to be with the other angels leaving a vacancy in this home and bringing much sorrow.
Clarence was converted at Old Union Church about thirteen years ago and took his place in the church and in true reality he lived the Christian life ever after. He was happy in revival and prayer meeting services and when his health permitted, he was regular in his attendance at such meetings. He served at Sunday School Superintendent of his home church, and was usually found teaching some class.
For the past two years, Clarence's health has been failing and has caused much alarm for his family and friends. Although many eminent physicians were consulted and the prescribed treatments given, it was of only a temporary mature. He was taken to the Methodist Hospital at Indianapolis where physicians and surgeons of known ability were consulted, but with all that men of science knew, and with the care that loving hands could give, he passed away at 10 o'clock a.m. and moved on to meet Joseph Thomas, Mother, and all those who have gone before.
Besides the sorrowing wife and son, he leaves to mourn their loss his aged father and four sisters, Mrs. Dora Apple, Mrs. Ora Carter, Mrs. Isabelle Williams and Miss Inez Harned, and a host of other relatives and friends.


We wish to extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to our neighbors and friends for their tokens of sympathy and assistance during the illness and death of our beloved husband and father. Mrs. Grace Harned, Roger Lee Harned. Submitted byTom Agan.

SCHUMACHER, George M., Dr., Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Death Notice
Dr. George M. Schumacher, 49, died at his home at the Plaza Hotel here last Thursday from septicemia abscess of the liver.
Dr. Schumacher was a well known dentist of French Lick having practiced here for the past twenty five years, during which time he built up a wide circle of friends in the valley.
Funeral services were conducted at three o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Catholic church here by Father Sheppard, pastor of the church. Burial services were conducted at Ames Chapel cemetery.
He is survived by his wife, one sister, Mrs. Emma Clark of New Albany, a number of other relatives and his many friends.
W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of the funeral.

Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Obituary
Dr. George M. Schumacher was born at Jasper, Indiana, July 23, 1884 and departed this life at French Lick, Indiana, August 10, 1933 at the age of 49 years and 18 days.
He was the third son and the youngest of seven children born to Isador and Mary Eich Schumacher of Jasper, Ind. The children's names were Joe, Trecie, Lou, Mark, Emma and Rose.
Dr. Schumacher;s childhood days were spent in Jasper. In 1907 he graduated from the Louisville College of Dentistry and practiced his profession for a short time in Louisville. In 1908 he located in French Lick where he practiced for the past twenty-five years. He was always an ethical, conscientious and efficient dentist, loved and respected by patients, friends and his colleagues.
In 1910 he was united in marriage to Lenora Witsman of French Lick and their devotion to each other continued throughout the years of this union which death so cruelly severed. The broken heart of roses that was designed by Miss Margaret Wilson of Jasper who was their teacher and friend bore the inscription "In Sorrow, Lenora-George" and was a symbol of their true devotion.
During his later life he was reinstated in the Catholic Church and manifested a true desire for the Catholic faith, and many prayers offered up for him by both catholic and protestant revealed the undivided faith in God.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, August 13th at the Catholic Church in French Lick with Father Sheppard officiating. Burial services were held at Ames Chapel cemetery near Abydel.
He leaves to mourn his loss his beloved wife, Lenora; his sister, Mrs. Emma Clark and brother-in-law, Phinneas T. Clark of New Albany, Ind.; a sister-in-law, Mrs. Teckla Schumacher, a nephew and niece, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Schumacher of Anderson, Ind.; four cousins, Mr. and Mrs. Etta Egg and Mr. and Mrs. Louis Koerner of Jasper, Ind.; his wife's parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Witsman. Other relatives who survive are Miss Mable Keubler of Wisconsin; Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Ellis and nephews, Farwell and William and nieces, Laura and Ruth Anna of French Lick; and Mr. and Mrs. Gus Bretz of Louisville, Ky.
Other relatives and friends from out of town who attended the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Steinhart, Mr. and Mrs. Ned Kress, Mr. and Mrs. Windy Laden, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bates, Mrs. George Keubler and family. Miss Margaret Wilson and Mayer G. Wagner of Jasper; Mr. O. E. Newton and a Miss Keubler of Indianapolis; a Miss Stroud, Mr. Harry Stroud and Mr. and Mrs. W. N. Koener of Birdseye; Miss Jo Smith of Cincinnati; Dr. McCullough and Miss Stella Harbison of New Albany, Ind.


I wish to thank the many friends and neighbors for their help and sympathy during the illness and death of my beloved husband, Dr. George Schumacher. I wish especially to thank Mrs. Mabel Collins, Miss Claire Bartl, Mrs. Wood Apple, Mrs. Albert Lashbrook, Mrs. Golder Painter, Harry Hendrix, Eli McDonald, Elmer Dishon, Tom Pinnick, Dr. Miller and Dr. Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Marguet and Mrs. Millie Seybold. I also wish to thank the pall bearers, Raymond Galloway, Adam Schlesing, Harry Ritter, B. O. Wells, Elmer Dishon, Louis Bedster, Roy Seneff and Eli McDonald and honorary Pall Bearers, O. B. Hancock, Dr. C. E. Pierce, Joe Marguet, Dr. H. L. Miller, Dr. C. F. Hammond, Dr. W. W. Sloan, Rev. Dr. F. R. Greer, Harry Carpenter and Elwood Apple. Also Father Shepperd, W. V. Ritter & Son and the friends who sent floral tributes and so kindly offered cars. Mrs. Lenora Schumacher. Submitted byTom Agan.

EARLEY, Alvin Harrison, Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Death Notice
Alvin Early, 16 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Early of Route 2 French Lick died Wednesday afternoon at St. Edwards Hospital in New Albany following accidentally self inflicted gun shot wounds suffered Monday while the youth was hunting near Moores Ridge.
No accurate details of how the accident occurred could be supplied by Early due to his weakened condition when discovered. The charge had shattered the flesh and bones of the lower leg.
Physicians at the hospital could not operate due to the seriousness of his condition and he had been treated for several days in an effort to renew his strength and save the injured member. He failed however to respond to the treatment and succumbed Wednesday afternoon.
The body was brought here by Schmutzler this morning (Thursday) and the funeral has been tentatively arranged to be held at South Liberty Friday.

Springs Valley Herald (August 31, 1933) Obituary
Alvin Harrison Early, son of J. C. and Oma Early was born Feb. 8, 1917 in Arkansas and died August 16, 1933 at the age of 16 years, 6 months and 8 days.
Alvin spent most of his life in and near French Lick where he has many friends.
He was a quiet child, one that was always found in his place. He was a joy and comfort to his family and especially thoughtful of his mother, always thinking of her every want and doing the little thoughtful things that most boys of his age neglect. He looked on the bright side of the hard things of life, thus making life for those around him brighter and happier. When we think of Alvin with his kindly deeds of love and service, we know that Jesus has found need of this beautiful flower and has plucked it right in the best years of life and has transplanted it in Heaven where it will bloom forever and forever.
His mother and father, two sisters, Lora Mae Gerkin of West Baden and Mabel at home, two brothers, William of Wardel, Mo. and Roy Dale, a baby, are left behind to wonder why this gleam of sunshine had to be taken from them, but may they remember that Alvin is now in the everlasting sunshine of God's love.


We want everyone who has been so kind and thoughtful in this, the saddest hours of our lives, to know how very grateful we are for every kindness.
Our neighbors and friends have been so loyal to us and we wish to thank you. Mother and Children. Submitted by Tom Agan.

BRADLEY, James W., Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Death Notice
James W. Bradley, age 91, died at his home in Prospect last Thursday, August 10, from cerebral hemorrhage.
Funeral services were conducted at the Pilgrim Holiness Church in French Lick Friday afternoon by Rev. Freeman. Burial was in Ames Chapel cemetery.
W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of the funeral arrangements. Submitted by Tom Agan.

HAM, Opal Ruth Hall, Springs Valley Herald (August 17, 1933) Obituary
Opal Ruth Hall Ham, daughter of Ermel and Addie Hall, was born near French Lick, Indiana, February 7th, 1913 and passed from this life at Indianapolis, Ind. on August 10th, 1933, aged 20 years, 6 months and 2 days.
Of her immediate family, she leaves to mourn her loss her parents, husband, four sisters, Blanche, Mildred, Pauline and Margaret, three brothers, Glendon of Gary, Hilbert and Robert, one brother who preceded her in death, two grandfathers and one grandmother.
As a child her happy and cheerful disposition had made her a favorite among the circle in which she moved and the years spent with her associates in the West Baden School were filled with many acts of kindness and deeds of thoughtfulness, that long will live in the memory of these friends. She was graduated with her class from the West Baden High School in April 1931.
The desire for the Lord touched her heart and she accepted his call, united with the First Baptist Church of West Baden in February 1931.
On July 9th, 1933 she was united in marriage to Harley Ham, but the years of life together that these two young people craved has been severed by the hand of the Master and the hearts and minds of the beloved survivors saddened now, must look to Him, author of all life.


We wish to thank the many friends for their kindness to us at the death of our dear daughter and wife, Opal Ruth Hall Ham. We wish to thank the girls of the Church for the beautiful music, Rev. Hacker for his message, those who sent flowers and those who furnished cars. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

AKERS, Robert, Springs Valley Herald (August 24, 1933) Death Notice
Robert Akers, 74, passed away at his home near Prospect Monday from cerebral apoplexy. Funeral services were conducted at the home Tuesday by Rev. Propheter with burial at Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He is survived by two sons and three daughters. Ritter & Son had charge of funeral arrangements. Submitted by Tom Agan.

FITCH, Virginia Throop, Springs Valley Herald (August 31, 1933) Death Notice
Mrs. Virginia Throop Fitch, 28, of Paoli was killed in an automobile accident at Indianapolis last Saturday when the car in which she was riding was struck by another car at a street intersection. Mrs. Fitch suffered a broken neck and died on the way to the hospital.
She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Throop of Paoli and for the past six years has been a member of the faculty of the Paoli High School. She was married last November to Robert Fitch of Lawrenceburg, Ind. and was well known to many residents of French Lick and West Baden.
Funeral services were conducted at her parents home Wednesday afternoon by Rev. J. D. Hungerland of Jasper and Rev. Roy Mueller of Paoli. Burial was at Paoli cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.