Orange County Obituaries


LANE, Wilford Monroe, Springs Valley Herald (April 14, 1932) Death Notice
W. Monroe Lane, of New Prospect, 64 years of age, died Sunday morning at the home of his son, Charles C. Lane, managing editor of the Herald, in French Lick. Death was caused by paralysis.
Mr. Lane suffered a stroke of paralysis last fall, but seemed to recover fully. He experienced another stroke March 18, being brought to the home of his son immediately afterward. He had been in poor health for several years.
Mr. Lane was born at Prospect in 1867 and was well known throughout the county. He spent most of his life in French Lick and West Baden, moving to his farm near Prospect several years ago.
He is survived by two sons, Charles C. Lane of French Lock and Walter Lane of Jackson, Miss.; two sisters, Mrs. Leta Jackson of Paoli and Mrs. Mellie Livengood of French Lick; five brothers, Charles E. of French Lick, Jordan of Kansas City, Kans., Oliver of Paoli, Perry and Philip of West Baden. He is also survived by one grandson, Norman Gary Lane of French Lick.
Mr. Lane was a member of the Christian Church at Antioch, and also a member of the Odd Fellows and Modern Woodman Lodges of West Baden. He was past Noble Grand of the Odd Fellow order.
Funeral services were held Tuesday morning at the Ames Chapel M. E. Church with Rev. L. F. Drash, pastor of the French Lick Christian Church officiating, assisted by Rev. A. L. Meredith, pastor of the local Methodist Church. The Odd Fellows and Modern Woodman lodges of West Baden had charge of the ceremonies at the grave.

Springs Valley Herald (April 21, 1932) Obituary
Wilford Monroe Lane, son of Martin V. and Martha Shively Lane, was born June 15, 1867 at New Prospect, Ind. and died April 10, 1932, aged 64 years, 9 months and 25 days.
He was married to Lou Olive Bowman on May 1, 1901, and to this union was born three sons, Walter of Jackson, Miss., Charles C. of French Lick and Marion, who died when seven years of age.
He leaves two sisters, Mrs. Leta Jackson of Paoli, Mrs. Mellie Livengood of French Lick and five brothers, Jordan of Kansas City, Kan., Oliver of Paoli, Charles E. of French Lick and Philip S. and Perry C. of West Baden. He also leaves one grandson, Norman Gary Lane and a host of other relatives and friends whose devotion was unexcelled in his few weeks of suffering.
His faith and hope centered around the dear Redeemer, who "By the grace of God tasted death for every man" and with the full assurance that the ransom paid on Calvary's cross will in God's due time cause all the dead again to live, for He "tasted death for every man to be testified in due time."
He was united with the Christian Church at Antioch when 21 years of age, and has remained a member of that church. He has ever been an influence for good in the community in which he lived, his circle of friends being limited only by the number of his acquaintances.
He was past Noble Grand of the West Baden Lodge of Odd Fellows and was also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Submitted by Tom Agan.

FRENTRESS, Emeline, Springs Valley Herald (April 21, 1932) Obituary
Emeline Frentress, daughter of Jabez and Emeline Leonard was born August 31, 1855 in Orange County, Indiana and died April 12, 1932 at Indianapolis, where she had been staying for several months.
She was united in marriage to Mr. Eleazor Frentress of Orange County, in 1874, with whom she lived happily until January, 1931, Mr. Frentress passing away at this time. To this union was born seven children, Mrs. Lizzie Pitcher and Jabez of French Lick and Ben of Indianapolis. John, William, Winslow and Lula preceded their mother in death.
She was one of a family of fourteen children, three of whom remain, Mrs. Alfred Leonard of Unionville, Mr. Ahi Leonard of Boonville and Mrs. Barbara Montgomery of Evansville, the rest having preceded her in death.
Mrs. Frentress was converted early in life and joined the M. E. Church, attending regularly when able, and living faithfully to the end, always ready to help her many friends. She was a loving and devoted mother, a good neighbor and friend. She will be greatly missed by her many [sic] home any time, for so many loved Aunt Emeline (as her friends chose to call her).
She leaves to mourn her passing, two brothers, one sister, three children, six grandchildren, eight great grandchildren and a multitude of friends.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to our friends and neighbors for their kindness in our recent bereavement of our mother and grandmother, Emeline Frentress. Children and Grandchildren. Submitted byTom Agan.

ROBERTS, Emily Jane, Springs Valley Herald (May 12, 1932) Obituary
Emily Jane Roberts, daughter of Joel and Elsie Mavity, was born near Celestine, Ind., April 24, 1855, and departed this life May 3, 1932, aged 77 years and 9 days. She was the last of a family of eight children, one brother, two sisters, three half brothers and two half sisters.
On February 18, 1875, she was united in marriage to George W. Roberts, and enjoyed a happy life together for 57 years. To this union was born five children. Orlena, the oldest, was born February 24, 1876 and departed this life June 2, 1876; John C. Roberts was born Nov. 25, 1884 and departed this life Dec. 21, 1925. She leaves a husband and three children to mourn her departure: Anna Moore of Los Angeles, California, Lillie Speece of Hibbing, Minn., and Roy E. of E. St. Louis, Ill.
There were born 15 grandchildren, three of whom preceded her in death, and four great grand children are living. She also leaves a host of relatives and friends to mourn her departure.
Her father was a Methodist minister, and she was brought up in Christian faith and at the age of 15 was converted and united with the M. E. Church at Shiloh, near Celestine, and lived a true Christian all her life, and was ever ready to help others in times of need and encouraged others in the faith of God. Owing to her long suffering she felt that when God called her it would mean sweet rest from all the cares and sufferings of this life. She has said many times she was ready when God should see fit to call her home. During her illness she was tenderly cared for by her husband and children. She was a loving wife and mother and will be sadly missed.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for there assistance and kindness in our recent bereavement of our dear wife and mother. Especially we wish to thank the ministers, Rev. Propheter, Rev. Meredith and Rev. Goins, the pall bearers, and the undertaker, Mr. Schmutzler, and organist, and all who assisted with cars. those who donated flowers, and Dr. Hammond. George W. Roberts and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

GARRISON, Melinda, Springs Valley Herald (May 19, 1932) Death Notice
Mrs. Melinda Garrison, aged 90, wife of Woodford Garrison, died Tuesday afternoon at her home near Sulphur Creek of the infirmities of age. She was ill for only a short time before death claimed her.
Mrs. Garrison was born in Pike County, but has lived near French Lick nearly all her life, her family moving here over eighty years ago. During her long and useful life she has built up a circle of friends that numbers almost everyone in the community.
She leaves five children, Alonzo, William O., Salem, Edward and Mrs. Mattie Edwards, all of who reside here.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. J. Byrums, will be held at Sulphur Creek Church with burial in the nearby cemetery today (Thursday). Funeral arrangements are in charge of Schmutzler funeral parlors. Submitted byTom Agan.

TANKSLEY, Viola, Springs Valley Herald (May 26, 1932) Death Notice
Mrs. E. Tanksley of French Lick was instantly killed last Thursday night about nine o'clock when the car in which she was riding struck a truck parked along the pavement on Highway 37 between Orleans and Paoli.
Mrs. Tanksley was riding with her husband who was driving when the accident occurred. Just as they were about to pass an oncoming car Tanksley's car struck the truck which was parked with one wheel on the concrete, and, we understand, with no tail light. The truck was hurled several feet, the Tanksley car wrecked, and Mrs. Tanksley crushed instantly in the crash. Mr. Tanksley was thrown clear of the wreckage and while he suffered bruises and minor cuts, he was not seriously injured.
Passing motorist gave first aid, and called Schmutzler's ambulance, which brought Mrs. Tanksley's body here.
Funeral services were conducted at the home here by Rev. Drash of the First Christian Church at 1:15 Sunday afternoon and burial at Mitchell.

Springs Valley Herald (July 7, 1932) Obituary
Mrs. Ola Parks Tanksley, daughter of James of Seleah Parks, was born near Greenbriar, Ind., September 22, 1877, and died at French Lick, Ind., May 19, 1932, aged 55 years.
She united with the Christian Church at South Liberty in girlhood and later moved her membership to the Christian Church at French Lick.
In December, 1931 she was married to Earl Tanksley of French Lick. Together they lived happily until May 19, when she and her husband were motoring from Mitchell, she met with an automobile accident which caused instant death.
It may be truthfully said of Ola that her loving disposition and sweet smile won for her the love and friendship with all she met.
She leaves to mourn her departure, a mother, Mrs. Seleah Parks, her husband, Mr. Earl Tanksley, two sisters, Mrs. Minnie McBride of Helix, Ind., and Mrs. Lucile West of Indianapolis, Ind., two brothers, Mr. Robert Parks of Indianapolis and Mr. Claude Parks of Waterloo, Iowa, also a host of relatives and friends who mourn her loss. A brother preceded her in death.


We wish to express our sincere thanks for the minister, the choir, the undertaker and for the beautiful floral offerings; also all those who assisted in this sad hour of bereavement. Mother, Brothers, Sisters and Husband. Submitted byTom Agan.

UNDERWOOD, Thomas Jefferson, Springs Valley Herald (May 26, 1932) Obituary
Thomas Jefferson Underwood, one of the seven children of Henry and Nancy Underwood, was born in Orange County, Indiana, April 19th, 1845 and passed from this life may 16th, 1932, aged 87 years, and 27 years. Of the family only one sister, Mrs. Lucy Lambdin, survives.
Thomas Underwood's attendance in our schools during his boyhood years was broken by the Civil War when he eagerly volunteered in the great struggle to preserve our Union, enlisting in Company B, 24th Infantry of Indiana at seventeen years of age, and serving a full three years until honorably discharged.
Returning to his home, he once more took up the threads of industry and established himself in the farm life of our community. The lure of the West beckoned, and he spent some years in Arkansas, but love of his native state brought him back to his Orange County home to spend the balance of his life.
On January 14th, 1869 he was joined in Holy wedlock to Mary A. Wolfington, a union of rare happiness that has endured for over sixty three years. To this union there were born three children, Milea, now Mrs. George Campbell, a daughter, Minnie, who left them in infancy, and Raymond Underwood, now of Valparaiso, Indiana. Three grandchildren, Clyde Campbell, Ann and Ruth Underwood are also left to mourn their loss. The heartfelt sympathies of even the passing stranger must go out to the devoted wife who now lives bereft of the companionship that has been a joy these long decades.
He has for many years been a member of the local G. A. R. Post and was its commander for several terms prior to its dissolution due to the passing on of its members, of whom now only one survives.
He was converted and accepted Christ as his leader at a meeting held in Nelson Chapel in 1866 and has for years been a member of the Ames Church. He often told of his experience in this meeting so long ago where he and Rev. Frank Denny first took their stand. A long and useful life that has been crowded with kindly acts and deeds has drawn to a close Deeds that will long linger in the fond memory of his loved ones. May we all be as ready to face our maker as was this good man whose last expressions during a peaceful passing were that he was ready to go, ready to take his rest.


We desire to thank the many neighbors and friends for their kind assistance and expressions of sympathy during the recent illness and death of Thomas J. Underwood. Mrs. Thomas J. Underwood, Milea Campbell, Raymond Underwood. Submitted byTom Agan.


ATKINS, George W., Springs Valley Herald (June 23, 1932) Death Notice
George W. Atkins, aged 72, died at his home near here last Saturday, June 18, of chronic nephritis. He had been in poor health for almost a year before succumbing to the ravages of this disease.
Mr. Atkins was well know throughout the county. He served two terms at township assessor and had been engaged for years in the insurance business, with offices in French Lick.
Funeral services were held at Ames Chapel on Tuesday and were conducted by Rev. William C. Hancock of Paoli. Burial occurred in the Ames cemetery. W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of the funeral.

Springs Valley Herald (June 30, 1932) Obituary
Elder George W. Atkins, the son of George and Mary Atkins, was born in Ohio, April 5, 1860. At the age of four years this poor boy was left an orphan, which was indeed a very sad thing for him so early in life. His grandmother took him and she moved from Ohio ti Henry County, Indiana, locating near Mt. Summit. At the age of seven years his grandmother moved back to Ohio, after which he was given a home by Joshua and Judith Hickman, in which home he grew to manhood. On December 31, 1876, he was married to Mary Adelaide Nash of Henry County, Ind. Sometime later they moved to Southern Indiana, and his final residence being French Lick, Indiana, where he loved to the end of his pilgrimage here in this world.
To this union five children were born, namely: Frank E., Elcie B., Eva M. of Dayton, Ohio, Nellie F. and George M. of French Lick, Ind. Frank E., Elcie B. and Nellie F. preceded him in death. This leaves Eva M. and George M. the only children surviving him. Besides the children mentioned above there is one step daughter, Mrs. Elma Dean of Roachdale, Ind.
On August 5, 1925, his dear wife was taken from him by death, they having journeyed together peacefully and happily, sharing each other's joys and sorrow for over forty-eight years. This brought deep sorrow to him, but by the Grace of God he was enabled, to bear this sadness with Christian fortitude, and willing to be submissive to the Will of God in whom he trusted until death with that trust and faith that is a characteristic of a Child of God. On January 26, 1927, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Josie Cox of Roachdale, Ind., with whom he lived so happily until his departure. This matrimonial journey was short, but all spent well, and by the Grace of God she was blessed to stay with him and care for him to the end of his journey here.
He united with Lebanon Primitive Baptist Church near Mt. Summit, Indiana, October 12, 1877. this church was a has always been a dear spot to him. His Soul would run over with joy when he could visit his old home church. He was very anxious to visit there of recent, and would have done so, but through a misunderstanding of the time he failed to get there, and since he planned the trip referred to above, his health failed, so he was unable to get there at all. However, we can feel comforted that today his Soul is in the Church of the First Born where his poor body will be taken some sweet day and reunited with the Soul to live forever where afflictions will not hinder his worshiping, for there is no tears, no death, no pain, no sorrow there. After moving to French Lick he placed his membership in Bethlehem Church, where it remained until death.
In this Church he was ordained to the full work of a Gospel Minister in April 1909. He always felt a deep interest in our churches, having manifested his interest in life, and have served many of our churches as pastor, and his services as pastor were blessed, and crowned with success and for such blessings he gave God the praise and honor. He craved to see our churches grow and prosper, and was made to rejoice on hearing and witnessing the good Lord's humble poor coming home to the churches.
He was elected Clerk of Blue River Association, which position he held with credit and honor to himself and the Association for ten years, after which he was elected Moderator upon the resignation of Elder Wolfe, and which position he held with the same honor and credit as he did Clerk until his death, and held this position for five years.
As Moderator he was ever willing to be submissive to the will of the Association, desiring to do what he thought best for the precious cause.
At the time of his death he was pastor of Bethel Church near Franklin, Ind. He loved the doctrine of Depravity of Man, Unconditional Election of God, the Effectual Calling, Complete Regeneration and Justification by the Imputed Righteousness of Christ, and that all who are thus led and brought to Christ will be resurrected at the Coming of Christ and all the Elect Family shall finally be saved in Ultimate Glory. His Soul was made to rejoice in the above fundamental principles, and he stood firm and true to the principles until death.
He was a member of the Masonic Lodge of French Lick, Ind. He was elected Township Assessor of French Lick Township for two terms of four years each, and he served the people in this capacity faithfully.
In December 1931, he became afflicted to such an extent that he was soon unable to preform his ministerial duties as formerly, however his love and zeal for the cause he went some, although not able to preach. Since February he has not been able to preach at all. His afflictions grew worse, and regardless of the help of his loving wife and children, who loved him so dearly, and the care of doctors, he finally on June 18, 1932, at 9 o'clock p.m. peacefully and calmly asleep in the Arms of His Blessed Savior, thus closing a very useful life of 72 years, 2 months and 13 days.
Through all his suffering his hope was anchored in God, and his live was strong. He desired prayer, and the unworthy writer of this obituary offered prayer, which seemed to comfort him, and his dear companion. He prayed that he might depart and go to his Savior where there was no suffering, and an ocean of joy.
Dear wife and children, you had a good father and companion, his death is your loss, but his eternal gain. You all have been good to him, you loved him, and he loved you, but our love will not keep our loved ones, the farewell must come, may the good Lord bless you all. How much joy it brought to him that it was possible to have his son near him, we know that it isn't possible to have all our children to live near us. When far away we can only do the best we can, our prayers, however, and our love can't be restrained by distance. The son, being near, and being with him gave him much comfort. He had great confidence in his children. Their prosperity spiritually and temporally brought him joy. may the good Lord bless you all to lean strong on the Arms of Christ, the Rock of Ages. We can say that the Country is better off that he lived, and our churches have been wonderfully blessed with his services among them.
He leaves to mourn his departure the loving and devoted companion, children and step-daughter mentioned above, eight grandchildren, churches and ministers, who were coworkers with him, and relatives and friends to mourn with them.
The funeral services were conducted by Elder William C. Hancock, of Youngs Creek, Indiana, assisted by Elder Roscoe Totten, of Marengo, Indiana, and the pastor of Elder Atkins' home church, and by five other ministers of his faith, at Ames Chapel on Tuesday, June 21, 1932, in the presence of a large and attentive audience after which the body was laid to rest in the nearby cemetery to await the Resurrection Morn.


We desire to thank each and every one who assisted us in any way during the illness and death of our dear companion and father, George W. Atkins. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

PLUMMER, Sarah E., Springs Valley Herald (June 23, 1932) Death Notice
Mrs. Sarah E. Plummer, aged 75, died at her home at Sand Hill, near New Prospect, last Friday, June 17, of cardio renal induced from the infirmities of age. She had lived almost all her life in this community and was well known and respected by her friends and neighbors.
Funeral services were held at Ames Chapel Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Omar Porter, with the interment in the church cemetery. Funeral arrangements were in charge of W. V. Ritter & Son.

Springs Valley Herald (June 23, 1932) Obituary
Sarah Daugherty Plummer was born near West Baden, Orange County, Indiana, December 11, 1856, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charlotte Chestnut, near Prospect, June 17, 1932, aged 75 years.
She lived in the vicinity of her birthplace during the majority of her lifetime.
She was united in marriage to Lyman C. Plummer, November 2, 1877. To this union were born three children, Etta, Frank and Charlotte. She was a mother as well to the children of Mr. Plummer by a former marriage, Alice, Nell and Ed, the family being unbroken until the death of the father on October 1, 1913.
She united with the Prospect Church of Christ on the year 1916, under the ministry of Omer Porter, but upon her request was baptized by John P. Davis, a friend of the family. She was a faithful member of her church throughout the remainder of her life. She was a woman who lived a quiet and peaceful life, believing in the great truth of the Bible of which she was a constant reader. Her example to the community where in she has resided is one well worthwhile following, for her spirit was always that of friendliness, goodwill and charity toward all those with whom she was associated.
"Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord, they do rest from their labors and their works do follow them."


We wish to express our thanks to the friends, the choir, and the people who sent floral offerings for their help during the illness and death of our mother. Submitted byTom Agan.

CARNES, Harry A., Springs Valley Herald (June 30, 1932) Death Notice
Harry A. Carnes, aged 62, died at his home here two o'clock Tuesday afternoon after a long illness. He had been in failing health for the last year, but had been able to be around town and attend to business until about three months ago when he was forced to take to his bed.
Mr. Carnes was without doubt one of the best known men in the Valley, having been born near here and lived all his life in French Lick, where he built up and maintained a successful law practice. His shrewdness and ability as a forceful speaker was recognized throughout the county and many difficult cases have been decided in his favor through the thoroughness with which he marshaled his facts and the impressive manner in which he presented them. Practically every important trial in the county during the past thirty years saw Mr. Carnes taking an active part as the trial or defense attorney.
Members of the immediate family had been called to his bedside during the last week when it became evident that death was not far off. He leaves besides his wife, four daughters, Mrs. Harley Denny and Mrs. Claude Leonard of French Lick and Mrs. Fred Carter and Mrs. Tilford Lennon of Chicago. He is also survived by three brothers and three sisters.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. L. Meredith of the M. E. Church today (Thursday) at 2:00 p.m. at the home with burial at Mt. Lebanon cemetery following the services. Funeral arrangements were in charge of Carter of Bedford.

Springs Valley Herald (July 7, 1932) Obituary
The subject of this obituary first saw the light of day on June 28, 1870. He was the second of a family of nine children who came to bless the home of Josiah Harrison and Mildred Ann Carnes of near French Lick. His early education was gained in the township schools and from there he went to Central Normal College and Indiana University.
He began the practice of Law in the courts of Orange County in the year 1895. Two years later he took unto himself a helpmate in the person of Miss Ellen Pruett of near Orangeville. To them were born four daughters: Ruth, Esther, Ethel and Mary. Twenty-nine years ago he with his family removed from Paoli where they had been living for several years, to French Lick.
Just as he was passing his sixty-second milestone on the journey of life and as the noontide began to wane, the angel of death met him and wafted his soul away to the land from which none of its inhabitants have as yet returned.
During this earthly pilgrimage he developed a love for nature. The open fields, stream and woodland were places he longed to visit. To him the song of the birds in the wildwood and the babbling of its brook became enchanting music. Shortly before his passing away he expressed appreciation for the presence of the birds as they sang to him from the clump of trees and shrubs near his window. All these seemed to speak to him of God's creations, even though he did not begin to worship Him until recently.
A gradual and marvelous change was wrought within Harry's soul during his last illness. He gladly testified to many friends of his conversion and the joy and peace of his heart. To one he said, "If God sees fit to spare my life I shall be a different man." When he realized it was impossible to recover he began making arrangements for his funeral services; selecting the ministers, hymns, 30th Psalm and one of his favorite poems, entitled "Going Home."
Besides the wife and daughters, he leaves a grandson and granddaughter, three brothers, four sisters, besides many relatives and friends to mourn his departure.


We desire to express our sincere thanks to all who were so kind and helpful during the sickness and death of our dear husband and father. Mrs. Harry A. Carnes and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

HOBSON, Letha E., Springs Valley Herald (July 7, 1932) Obituary
Letha E. Hobson, daughter of Bailey and Eliza J. Hobson, was born November 18, 1914 in Orange County, Indiana. Letha lived a quiet home life and was loved by her associates. Last winter she was converted at the United Brethren Church in French Lick. On June 11, 1932, God in His tender mercy reached down and called her away at the age of 17 years, 6 months and 23 days.
He leaves to mourn her going, besides her father and mother, five brothers, Ira L., Omer J., James A., Jesse H. and William R., also three sisters, Mrs. Bertha L. Farris, Mrs. Manila B. Jones and Mrs. Lois J. Farris, all of French Lick. One brother, Elza Everett, preceded her to the great beyond. He going will not only be mourned by those in the immediate family, but by a host of relatives and friends.

We take this means of expressing our heartfelt thanks to those who assisted us during the sickness and death of our daughter and sister, Letha E. Hobson. We especially thank Rev. Byrum for his consoling words, the choir, the many who sent the beautiful floral tributes, Mr. Schmutzler for his efficient services, and those who furnished cars. Mr. and Mrs. Baily Hobson and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

McINTOSH, Ely, Springs Valley Herald (July 14, 1932) Death Notice
Word was received here the first of the week of the death of Ely McIntosh, at his home in New Albany, Ind. Mr. McIntosh was one of the pioneer residents of French Lick, having lived here fifty years ago. During the 80s he was postmaster when the town was little more than a struggling village. Many of our older people knew him well and his passing recalls to them the early days of the Valley. Mr. McIntosh was 88 years old. Burial was in the New Albany cemetery, Wednesday. Submitted byTom Agan.

BROWN, Louis P., Springs Valley Herald (July 14, 1932) Obituary
Louis P. Brown, son of Jonathan and Sarah Davis Brown, was born near West Baden, Indiana, NOvember 7th, 1845. His early education was received at the old Miller school house. He was reared in a Christian home. From that home there went up daily the incense of prayer and praise to a loving Heavenly Father, for His bounties and blessings. The parents and children were members and regular attendants of the old Faucett's Chapel M. E. Church, John Brown, grandfather of Louis P. Brown, was one of the first trustees elected for this class. At this church brother L. P. Brown was converted when quite young and for more that seventy-five years has been a Christian man.
In his early life there was laid the foundation of high ideals, and a lofty standard of morals, which prepared him for a long and useful life. When young he associated with the best society and never sowed any wild oats. He attended school at Orangeville and also at Asbury, now Depauw University. He taught school for several years. He also engaged in the mercantile business in Orangeville for several years.
He was married to Miss Harriett F. Ritter of Orangeville, April 29, 1873. To this union was born seven children, three sons and four daughters. Mrs. Anna Cleveland, of Orangeville; Mrs. Mary Bruner of Palestine, Ill.; Mrs. Orlena Suddrath, wife of Rev. Suddrath, of Irrigon, Oregon; Mrs. Fannie Scarlett, of Irrigon, Oregon; Louis A., deceased; Lloyd E. of Orangeville; and Nobel L. of Palestine, Ill. He served his county as Commissioner with honor to himself and the people who elected him. At his death he was President of the West Baden National Bank. This office he held for many years and proved to be a safe counselor. He was also Trustee of the Orangeville M. E. Church, and was delighted to see it repaired and rededicated. He and his wife presented the church with a fine heating stove. In the long history of his private, political and business career there has never been a spot or blemish.
For more than sixty-four years he has been an honored member of Orange Lodge No. 113 of the I. O. O. F. He believed in the principles of benevolence and charity and practiced Friendship, Love and Truth.
For several months he has felt life gradually slipping away. He came to the end of the journey unafraid. An honest, clean, upright life that honors God, and believes in the brotherhood of man can only end in victory. As a brotherhood we extend our sympathy and prayers to the bereaved family, assured when the guardian of the Grand Lodge on high informed the Noble Grand there was an alarm at the gate, the answer came, "Swing wide the gates and be ye lifted up ye everlasting doors, and let him in," and our brother took his seat with the immortal characters of God's great Brotherhood. Earth never bore upon it's bosom a better friend. He leaves to his family a rich heritage more enduring that silver or gold. He leaves to mourn his departure a wife, two sons, four daughters; sixteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren, two brothers and four sisters; William A. of Bedford, Ind.; Oratio S. of Indianapolis, Ind.;Mrs. Gruzilda Blakely of Bosburn, Mo.; Mrs. Helen Newland of French Lick, Ind.; Mrs. Mary M. Burton of French Lick, Ind. and Mrs. Emma Murphy of Los Angeles, Calif.
After the death of Louis A. the daughter-in-law and four children came into the home and to Brother Brown and wife they have been as dear as their own children. During the long illness of brother and sister Brown, the daughter-in-law has been a faithful, sympathetic nurse. She, with the four grandchildren, sit in the shadows today and deeply mourn the passing of him who has been an indulgent, affectionate father and grandfather.
This large audience is an expression of the high esteem and regard of his many friends. After long years of affliction and suffering, as a child pillows it's head on it's mother's bosom and falls asleep, so our brother quietly and peacefully fell asleep, to awake with the resurrection of the just, aged 86 years, 7 months and 25 days. May the God of all grace comfort and cheer the wife and children.
Funeral service was conducted by N. F. Denny, assisted by the pastor, Rev. A. H. Rumbley, Monday, July 4, 1932, after which the I. O. O. F. rendered a very appropriate service at the grave and the interment was in the I. O. O. F. cemetery at Bethel.


We wish to extend our thanks to neighbors and friends for kindness and sympathy shown us in our late bereavement. Especially do we thank the ministers, the musicians, members of Orangeville and Orleans I. O. O. F. Lodges and for the beautiful floral offerings. Mrs. Harriett F. Brown and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

WALLS, Isaiah, Springs Valley Herald (July 21, 1932) Obituary
Isaiah Walls was born October 25, 1873 and died July 13, 1932 at the home of his sister, Mrs. Ed Gillum at 1341 S. Meridian Street, Indianapolis, Indiana. He leaves only his sister to mourn his departure.
He was converted in the Church of God in 1930 and was baptized, remaining a true Christian until his death. All was done that willing hands could do. He suffered three years without a murmur. He prayed every day that he might pass through the pearly gates of heaven.
He often told his sister that his only wish was that his friends in French Lick could know the change in him. He was well cared for by the nurse, but all efforts to save him were in vain.
Funeral services were held at the Wald funeral parlor in Indianapolis and he was laid to rest in the New Crown cemetery. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Daniels and Rev. Jackson. The many friends in Indianapolis will never be forgotten for the friendships which was shown us during the death of our dear brother. Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Gillum. Submitted byTom Agan.

TOMILSON, Robert Franklin, Springs Valley Herald (July 28, 1932) Death Notice
Robert Franklin Tomilson was born near Highland Chapel, Orange County, Indiana, on December 4th, 1878 and passes from this life July 19th, 1932 at his home in West Baden, Indiana, aged 53 years, 7 months and 15 days. In early manhood he was united in marriage to Hattie Miller of Louisville, Ky., and moved to that city, residing there three years.
The birth of a son, Noble, and a daughter, Lillian, gladdened their hearts during the brief period, but the call came for the beloved wife, who went to the great beyond July 4, 1910.
Returning with his motherless little ones to his boyhood home, he once more centered his life to caring for his children. On May 2nd, 1916, he was united in marriage to Susie Mills at Paoli, Indiana, a happy union that endured for over sixteen years, but now brought to its close.
They have been blessed with the birth of five children, four sons, Wallace, 15; Warren, 13; Farrel, 11; and John, 10, and one daughter, Rachel, 7.
The tender memories of the kindness and affection of the husband and father will live long in the hearts of the bereft widow and children, and this great loss is shared by the surviving brother, William A. Tomilson, and sister, Mrs. Emma Tomilson McBride, two grandchildren, Claude Edward Parsons and Mary Lee Tomilson.
The host of friends sympathize with this stricken family and mourn with them in the passing of this serene, kindly soul who had gone through life giving his best.
Industrious and hardworking, he though not of the hours of labor, but only of the end to be achieved in taking care of those dependent upon him, and his last worries during the fatal illness that was creeping over him, were of his loved ones. A good man has gone that was honest in his dealings with others, kindly in his attitude and devoted to the little flock whose cheiftan he was.


We wish to extend our sincere thanks to the friends and neighbors who were so kind during the illness and death of our dear husband and father. Especially do we thank Rev. Hacker, the choir, pall bearers, Mr. Schmutzler, those who sent the beautiful floral tributes and those who furnished cars. Mrs. Robert Tomilson and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

OCHS, John, Springs Valley Herald (August 4, 1932) Obituary
Seventy years of life, well blest with good health and ambition, seems a long time to look into the future, but in our selfishness it did not seem quite long enough when it came to giving up so kind and generous a person as John Ochs.
His life was guided by the Golden Rule. His allegiance to his employers was his first consideration; he respected his duty toward them. To verify the statement that he was in turn appreciated in his work, he was employed with one company for twenty-one years, up until the time of his death.
Born and reared in Orleans, of German parents, he learned the trade of his father, that of cabinet maker and carpenter. So skillful was he in his work that strangers here at the Springs have enjoyed watching him ply his tools, and spent hours with him in his workshop watching him work.
He was kind and sympathetic; other people's troubles were his troubles; he was saddened by their sorrows, and those in need always had a friend in Mr. Ochs. None feared to ask of him a favor, for everyone knew he would never turn them away until the favor had been granted. He was ever ready with a loan, to help those who asked for one, and was always liberal in his gifts to charity.
In the outside world one may be held in high esteem by his associates, but in the home there may be some minor faults to be weighed. At "Doane's", where Mr. Ochs had made his home for the past seven and one-half years, we found no fault with him, for he had none. He was quiet and refined in his manners, clean in his habits, and honest to the point of generosity in his business dealings. He was loved by all. Guest sought his company at meal hours, and after coming year after year, the older men held him as their Pal. Some were able to visit him during his illness at the home of his niece and their daily inquiries as to his condition attested to the strong friendship they had for him.
On May 29th he was found in his workroom at the Homestead Hotel in a critical condition, and on July 22 his work and his life on earth was finished; he was called home, to that home eternal. Oh! that we could be brave enough to shed no tears, for there is no fear for this loved one gone on before. There is a God! There is a Home! There is a Reward for kindness, loyalty and honesty!. Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Doane.


The family of John Ochs wishes to thank the friends who in any way gave assistance during this sickness and death. Especially do we thank his friends from West Baden and French Lick who so ably assisted and who offered assistance during his early illness. Submitted byTom Agan.

FARRIS, Russell, Springs Valley Herald (August 18, 1932) Death Notice
Russell Farris, of near Hillham, died Wednesday morning of heart failure brought on by acute indigestion.
He collapsed near the French Lick County Club while walking along the highway. A brother who was with him enlisted the aid of a passing truck and rushed him to the office of Dr. Dillinger here. Dr. Dillinger was engaged with an important operation and Dr. Miller of West Baden of West Baden was called to attend Farris. Examination disclosed that he was dead before the doctor reached him.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Propheter at Mt. Lebanon today (Thursday) at 3 p.m., and burial was in the adjacent cemetery. W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of funeral arrangements. Submitted byTom Agan.

RUNYON, Sarah Harriet, Springs Valley Herald (August 18, 1932) Obituary
Sarah Harriet Owen was born March 2, 1852, and passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Arthur Dixon in West Baden, August 11, 1932, aged 80 years, 5 months and 9 days.
She was united in marriage to James A. Runyon, December 10, 1874,, and she resided in and near West Baden until God called her home.
To this union was born eleven children, Mrs. Anna Minton, Elvet L. Runyon, Mary Etta Pearl, Mrs. Arthur Dixon, William M. Runyon, Wilbur Runyon, Mrs. Fannie Stapleton, Mrs. Lizzie Pierce, Harvey H. Runyon and Maggie Agnes Runyon.
She united with the Old Nelson Methodist Church when a girl, later moving her membership to the M. E. Church in West Baden, where she remained faithful until death.
She was a kind and loving wife and mother, always having the care of her home and loved ones at her heart.
She leaves to mourn her loss her aged companion, eight children, thirty grandchildren, thirteen great grandchildren, two brothers, Tom and Henry Owen of West Baden and a host of other relatives and friends.
Mary Etta Pearl, Wilbur and Maggie Agnes Runyon preceded her in death.
Truly now we see through a glass darkly. We shall see face to face, and even as our children do not understand our plans for them, even so may not understand our Father's plans for us and our suffering, but we may still hold our hand in his hand, knowing that with the other hand He holds our dear ones, hone on ahead a little while.


We wish to extend our sincere thanks to the friends and neighbors who were so kind during the illness and death of our dear wife and mother. Especially do we wish to thank Rev. Rumbley, the choir, pall bearers, the flower girls, the undertaker, Mr. and Mrs. Ritter, and those who sent the beautiful floral offerings and those who furnished cars. J. A. Runyon and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

SEYBOLD, Nellie Harriett, Springs Valley Herald (August 25, 1932) Obituary
Nellie Harriett Seybold, daughter of Robert and Rebecca V. Seybold, was born December 22, 1897 and departed this life August 5, 1932, being 34 years, 7 months and 13 days of age. Hattie had been an invalid since her infancy.
Her mother died when Hattie was three years of age. Her father and relatives took care of her as best they could until she was twelve years old, when it was thought best to put her in an institution for treatment. Consequently she was sent to Fort Wayne to a school for her class, where she remained for 22 years, until her death. Under this method of treatment she made progress until about six months ago, when her general health began to fail, causing her sudden death on August 5th.
Hattie was of a loving disposition. She realized her serious condition. She never forgot a person, though a stranger, who showed her a kindness.
She leaves to mourn her departure her father, one sister, Mrs. Mabel P. Baxter of Mackinaw Island, Mich., one brother, Floyd B. of Winchester, Ind. Her mother and two brothers, Ollis R. and Laurel W., preceded her in death. Submitted byTom Agan.