Orange County Obituaries


FLICK, Juanita Fern, Springs Valley Herald (May 7, 1936) Death Notice
Mrs. Fern Line, wife of Roy Flick, who was taken to the Daviess County Hospital in Washington, Ind. last Friday for an appendicitis operation passed away Monday night at the age of 24 years.
Mrs. Flick is a daughter of the late Dr. W. A. Line.
Schmutzler accompanied the body here Monday night and prepared it for burial. Funeral services were held at her home in Hillham Wednesday afternoon with burial in the family cemetery at that place.

Springs Valley Herald (May 14, 1936) Obituary
Juanita Fern Flick, daughter of Dr. Wm. Line and Florence Line was born September 15, 1911 and departed this life in Daviess County Hospital at Washington, Ind. May 4, 1936 at the age of 24 years, 5 months and 19 days.
She was united in marriage to Roy Flick October 3, 1932. She and her husband lived at the home of her mother and sisters, at the Old Line Homestead. Her father, one brother and a half brother have already preceded her in death.
She leaves to mourn her death, her husband, Roy Flick, an aged grandmother, Sarah E. Jones, her mother, Florence Line, four half sisters, Bessie Dixon, Myrtle Case, Lula Powell and Belle Mayer, also three half brothers, Knoefel Line, Cleo Line and John Line.
Fern graduated from the West Baden High School with the class of 1931 with all the honors of the class and a lasting friendship with all her schoolmates. She was a kind and living daughter and always willing to lend her words and acts for the comfort and happiness of others, Her memory will live after today in the lives and hearts of all who knew her.


We, as the family wish to thank everyone for their kindness and sympathy. Our sorrow is great but it is a consolation to know that she was loved by so many. Submitted by Tom Agan.

DISHION, Samira Jane, Springs Valley Herald (May 14, 1936) Death Notice
Mrs. Samira Jane Dishion, 82, died Saturday, May 9th after a long illness. Mrs. Dishion, who had lost her eyesight and had been in failing health the past several years, had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. L. T. Coyne in West Baden since 1925 until this spring when her daughter moved to Huntington and she was taken to the home of Mrs. Flora Watts near West Baden where she spent the rest of her days.
Funeral services were conducted at the West Baden M. E. Church Tuesday afternoon by Rev. R. Davis Mohler assisted by Rev. E. E. Young, followed by interment in the Ames Chapel cemetery.
She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Stella Coyne of Huntington, Ind. and Mrs. Lydia Ellis of Fairfax, Okla.
Schmutzler directed the funeral.

Springs Valley Herald (May 14, 1936) Obituary
Samira Jane Dixon Dishion, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Jane McBride Dixon, was born December 24, 1853 near West Baden, Ind. and died May 9, 1936 at the age of 82 years, 4 months and 15 days. She was the eighth child of a family of fifteen children.
The farm now owned by T. G. Ellis about three miles east of West Baden was the Dixon's home, and it was there that much, if not all of the married life of Thomas and Elizabeth Jane was spent and their family reared. The mother having died at the age of forty years left several children of quite tender years to be cared for by the father and older members of the family. The father;s death came fourteen years after the mother's, at which time the home was broken.
At an early age Samira Jane was married to Manna Hammond, to which union were born two children, Fannie, who died in infancy and Arthur Curtis, who died April 15, 1935.
She being left with a young son, after a time was married to John V. Dishion. To this union were born two daughters, Mrs. Lilly Ellis of Fairfax, Okla. and Mrs. Stella Coyne of Huntington, Ind.
After their marriage they moved to Illinois, but later came to West Baden and bought a small farm about one and one-half miles north of West Baden. This home was a model for cleanliness and regularity. The duties of both husband and wife being carried in with such accurate precision as is nor seen in many homes.
It was here the family grew to manhood and womanhood, endearing themselves to the community.
Aunt Samira and Uncle John, as they were familiarly known, united with the Church of Christ at New Prospect many years ago and remained members of this congregation until death, he having passed away November 8, 1918. In November 1925 the mother, failing in health, went to live with her daughter, Mrs. Coyne. It was in the care of Mr. and Mrs. Coyne and family that she spent the remainder of her life.
Quiet in manner, pure and true in character are some of the qualities of this mother, but we find that words fail to express what we would say of a christian mother.
She leaves to mourn her passing two daughters, two sons-in-law, Raymond Ellis and Lloyd T. Coyne, three granddaughters, three grandsons, one step-granddaughter, Mrs. R. E. Meeder of Chicago, who she loved dearly.
One sister-in-law, Mrs. Charles Dixon, a number of nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews and many other relatives and friends.


We wish to thank our many friends and neighbors who assisted in any way during the sickness and death of our mother, Mrs. Samira J. Dishion. We especially thank the Reverend R. Davis Mohler and Young for their consoling words, also our kind friends for their beautiful music and flowers. Mr. L. T. Coyne and Family, Mrs. E. R. Ellis and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

BAGGATT, Olin, Springs Valley Herald (May 14, 1936) Death Notice
Olin Baggatt, 46, died at the Veterans Hospital in Indianapolis last Thursday from hypostatic pneumonia. Mr. Baggatt formerly lived in this community.
Funeral services were held at the home of a sister-in-law, Mrs. Naomi Qualkinbush in this city on Saturday afternoon with Rev. C. H. Ivy in charge of the services. Interment was made in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery. Members of the America Legion post gave him a military burial. Schmutzler directed the funeral arrangements.
He is survived by his wife, two sons and two step children. Submitted by Tom Agan.

GEHM, Simon, Springs Valley Herald (May 14, 1936) Death Notice
Simon Gehm, 33, died Tuesday at the Methodist hospital in Indianapolis from meningitis due to tubercular of the spine, an ailment which he has had for years.
Mr. Gehm formerly lived in the Mt. Lebanon vicinity where he made many friends. About two years ago he moved his family to Palmyra where he was employed by a packing company.
Funeral services will be held at the Ritter's Funeral Parlors tomorrow (Friday) morning at 10:00 a.m. followed by burial in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He is survived by his wife, two sons, Lewis Edmond and Bobby, one sister, Mrs. Alvena Morgan of the Mt. Lebanon neighborhood, two brothers, Roy of Louisville, Ky. and Walter of Waldron, Ind.

Springs Valley Herald (May 21, 1936) Obituary
In the midst of life we are often reminded of the uncertainty of such. Father, while our eyes are weeping o'er our lived one that death has won we would at this solemn meeting calmly say, "Thy will be done."
Simon J. Gehm, the son of Jacob and Anna Gehm, was born August 28, 1902 at Albany, Clinton County, Kentucky. The family moved to Indiana in 1907. He departed this life for the Home Eternal May 12, 1936, at the age of 33 years, 8 months and 14 days.
Mr. Gehm joined the Mt. Lebanon M. E. Church near French Lick at an early age. He served as Epworth League President, Sunday School Superintendent and teacher at various times, and was deeply interested in the young peoples work.
He was married to Miss Iris Kearby on July 24, 1923. To this union two sons were born. The family lived in and near French Lick until early in the year of 1935 when they moved to Palmyra where they endeared themselves in the hearts of their neighbors and the membership of the Central Barren M. E. Church by whom he shall be greatly missed. In the words of one of his fellow workmen, "He left a spirit of kindness and helpfulness that we shall never forget."
Mr. Gehm leaves to mourn his going his companion; two sons, Louis and Robert; one sister, Mrs. Gilbert Morgan of French Lick; two brothers, Leroy of Jeffersonville and Walter of Waldron; many other relatives and a host of friends including the class of Junior and Immediate boys who have a lost of beloved teacher and friend.


We wish to thank our friends and neighbors for their kindness and assistance during the sickness and death of our husband and father. Mrs. Iris Gehm and Sons. Submitted byTom Agan.

THACHER, Virgil, Springs Valley Herald (May 21, 1936) Death Notice
Virgil Thacker, 38, died at his home in New Orleans, La. last Friday after a long illness. Funeral services were conducted and burial made in New Orleans Sunday.
Mr. Thacker was born and reared in French Lick and had made his home here before going to the Louisiana city to live.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Christine Thacker of New Orleans, his father, Ben Thacker of Hillham, three brother, Elmer of French Lick, Athol of West Baden, Harley of St. Louis, Mo. and two sisters, Mrs. Sadie Jordan and Mrs. Millie Anderson, both of West Baden. Submitted by Tom Agan.

JORDAN, John Minor, Springs Valley Herald (May 21, 1936) Death Notice
John Minor Jordan, 55, died Wednesday, May 13, at St. Mary's Hospital, Reno Nevada from an attack of chronic bronchitis.
Mr. Jordan, for years a resident of West Baden, was a former resident of Reno and had returned there a few months ago to act as manager of the Palace Club. His health began to fail almost immediately upon his arrival at the Nevada city.
Funeral services were conducted by the Elks Lodge of Reno on May 14th. Committal funeral services were held at the home in West Baden last Tuesday by Rev. Davis Mohler. Burial was made in the cemetery at Ames Chapel.
Jordan was born in Texas and was the son of Maj. Tyler Jordan, one of the officers of General Robert E. Lee's Army.
He is survived by his wife, Sadie Thacker Jordan, a sister, Mrs. W. L. Ferguson of Long Beach, Calif., a brother, Harry Jordan of Glendale, Calif. and two nephews of Glendale.
W. V. Ritter & Son had charge of funeral arrangements. Submitted by Tom Agan.

MOFFATT, Cynthia May, Springs Valley Herald (May 21, 1936) Obituary
Cynthia May, daughter of James and Lillie B. Halberstadt Cottingain. was born June 24, 1905 in Champaign County, Illinois. She passed away at the Robert Long Hospital in Indianapolis May 10th at the age of 30 years, 10 months and 16 days after a serious illness of anemia for two months.
On june 9, 1924 she was united in marriage to Harlie Moffatt. To this union were born six boys and three girls, one of which, a twin daughter, preceded her in death two months ago.
Early in life she was converted in Monroe, Michigan and later placed her membership at Bonds Chapel. She was always of a loving and affectionate even during her illness/ Her chief joy seem to be to serve her loved ones and the many friends she possessed. Only a few years ago she told her husband that she was ready and willing to go.
She leaves to mourn her husband, six sons and two daughters, parents, two sisters, two brothers, her husband's parents, brothers and sisters, whom she loved as her own and several other relatives and friends.
The family looses a loving mother and companion, and the community a friend and neighbor by whom she will be sadly missed but long remembered.


We wish to thank our neighbors and friends for their kindness during the sickness and death of our wife and mother. Also those who brought and sent flowers and the preacher and undertaker. Harlie Moffatt and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

MARTIN, Laura Alice, Springs Valley Herald (May 28, 1936) Death Notice
Mrs. Laura A. Martin, 59, wife of Samuel Martin, died last Thursday at her home in Frentressville from heart trouble.
Funeral services were held at the W. V. Ritter Funeral Chapel Saturday afternoon by Rev. C. H. Ivy with burial in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

MAHAN, Mahala Jane, Springs Valley Herald (May 28, 1936) Death Notice
Mrs. Mahala Mahan, 93, a well known and respected citizen died at her home in the Fawcett Chapel neighborhood on West Baden Route Two Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Mahan had been in failing health for some time.
Funeral services will be held at Ames Chapel Friday afternoon at two o'clock with Schmutzler as funeral director.
Besides several children she is survived by one sister, Mrs. Julia Ann McCracken of Fawcett Chapel neighborhood and one brother, Frank Abel of near Orleans.

Springs Valley Herald (June 4, 1936) Obituary
Mahala Jane Abel Mahan, the eldest daughter of Andrew and Rebecca Abel, was born May 9, 1843 and passed away May 26, 1936, aged 93 years and 17 days.
In the year of 1864 she was married to Jasper Mahan, who preceded her in death twenty years ago. To this union were born nine children, William, who died in infancy, Andrew, George, Etta, Zeno, Melissa, James, Evelyn and Orville. She is also survived by one sister, Julia Ann McCracken of Fawcett Chapel neighborhood, and one brother Frank Abel of near Orleans. Twenty one grandchildren and thirty great grandchildren now living have known the tender love of grandmother.
She was a charter member of the New Prospect Church of Christ and even in her declining years when it was most difficult for her to attend she did so often as possible. Her noble character was exemplified in her ready willingness to help a friend or neighbor. Aunt Mahala, as she was familiarly called by many of her friends, was truly unselfish in her efforts to help those in need.


We wish to take this means of thanking those who so kindly assisted us in any way during the illness and death of our beloved mother, Mahala Mahan. Especially do we wish to thank those who sang, the minister, Rev. Porter, for his consoling words, those who presented the beautiful floral offerings and Mr. Schmutzler for his kind and efficient service. The Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

LINDLEY, Nathan Aaron, Springs Valley Herald (May 28, 1936) Death Notice
Nathan A. Lindley, 78, passed away Wednesday morning at the North Madison State Hospital from cerebral hemorrhage.
Mr. Lindley is well known here having lived near the show quarters for several years.
Funeral services were held at Ames Chapel this afternoon (Thursday) with burial in the church cemetery. W. V. Ritter & son were in charge of funeral services.
He is survived by his wife and several children.

Springs Valley Herald (June 4, 1936) Obituary
Nathan Aaron Lindley, second child of John A. and Nancy Hollowell Lindley, was born near French Lick, Ind. November 1, 1857 and passed away May 27, 1936 of cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 78 years, 6 months and 27 days.
He was united in marriage February 11, 1880 to Ida Florence Apple of Youngs Creek, Ind. having been married 56 years. To this union seven children were born, one of which Mrs. Bertha Anna Flick, preceded him in death.
He was a birthright Quaker, a member of the Odd Fellows lodge for nearly fifty years and was also a member of the Masons.
He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Ida F. Lindley of French Lick,; five daughters, Mrs. Stella Davis, Memphis, Tenn., Mrs. Zada Ward , St. Louis, Mo., Mrs. Ruby Callihan, Dallas, Tex., Mrs. Sudie Edwards, Larchmonth, N. Y., Miss Nancy Lindley of French Lick and one son Lloyd Everett Lindley of Vincennes, Ind.
He also leaves to mourn his death twelve grandchildren, three great grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Martha Atkinson of Paoli, and two brothers, Homer Lindley of Hardin, Mo. and Lucus B. Lindley of Baker, Ore.
Funeral services were read at Ames Chapel Thursday afternoon, May 28 by Rev. Partington, Pastor of the Quaker Church of Paoli. Private burial rites were held at the Ames cemetery Friday morning.
Members of the Odd Fellows acted as pall bearers. Submitted by Tom Agan.

PERRIN, Louis, Springs Valley Herald (March 10, 1932) Death Notice
Louis Perrin, affectionately known to friends and associated as "Louie" was stricken with apoplexy shortly after five o'clock Tuesday afternoon. He had just arrived at the hotel to oversee the preparations of dinner when the stroke came. Dr. Fitch, the hotel physician, was summoned immediately but his capable ministrations were unable to stay the hand of death. Louie died at 5:30. Dr. Fitch pronounced that death was caused by diabetes with apoplexy a contributory cause.
The sudden passing of such a well known and popular of our citizens is a shock to the valley. While it was well known that Louie was the victim of that dread disease diabetes still his going was entirely unexpected. For several weeks he was undergoing treatment at St. Joseph Hospital in Louisville, Ky. After returning from there he spent several weeks at home recuperating. His recovery was so complete that he was able to return to his duties at the hotel and take his usual place in the life of the community. In the midst of congratulations from friends upon his return to health he was taken.
Louis Perrin was born in Floyd County, Indiana in 1872 of parents who originally came from Alsace-Lorain. He began his profession in Louisville where he was chef at the Louisville Hotel, a once famous hostelry of the south. In 1897 he came to French Lick and for thirty five years he has been chef at the French Lick Springs Hotel. He has seen and been a part of the growth of this famous resort hotel from a small frame building accommodating only a few people to the present majestic structure catering to thousands. Not only will he be missed by his many friends in the valley, but by unnumbered others to whom he was part of the traditions of their favorite watering place.
Louie is survived by a brother, Lawrence of West Baden, Ind., five sisters, Mrs. Millie Seybolt and Mrs. Joe Marguet of French Lick, Mrs. Mary Sinkhorn of Floyd Knobs, Ind., Mrs. Kate Mivelaz of Little Rock, Ark., Mrs. Anna Fisher of Louisville, Ky., and by his wife and daughter, Pauline.
Funeral services will be conducted by Father Honningford at the Church, "Our Lady of the Springs" here at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. Burial well be at Ames Chapel, the funeral cortege moving to the cemetery immediately following the services at the church. W. V. Ritter & Son have charge of the funeral arrangements. Submitted byTom Agan.

COULTER, David, Springs Valley Herald (March 10, 1932) Death Notice
David Coulter, 60 years old, died Sunday at his home in Stampers Creek Township. Mr. Coulter had been ill only a few days, his death resulting from influenza.
He is a native of Orange County, having lived here most of his life. He spent several years in Washington State, where he was interested in fruit orchards. Since returning here, he has engaged in farming.
None of the immediate survive Mr. Coulter. He was an uncle of Superintendent L. W. Chatham of the West Baden schools. Funeral services were held Tuesday at noon, with burial in the Stampers Creek cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

CAMPBELL, Maxwell Chambers, Springs Valley Herald (March 17, 1932) Obituary
Maxwell Chambers Campbell, son of Maxwell and Sarah Field Campbell, was born on the Campbell homestead four miles east of West Baden, Ind., July 4, 1850. The Campbell family having moved to this farm in the spring of 1842. His father died on March 15, 1850, before his birth, and he never knew the love of a father.
Being the youngest of a family of seven children and the father having been taken by death, it fell to the lonely mother to care for and rear the young son, with some of the other members of the family. Two children, Harriett N. and John A., died in childhood before his birth, and Caroline M. was married before this time.
So it was under these conditions that the strong hearted Christian mother cared for the remaining four children. It was probably the tenderness and gentleness of this mother's heart and hand that was reflected and molded into the character and life of the young son, known in the family and by all who knew him as "Chame."
He grew to manhood at the place of his birth and was married Dec. 31, 1874 to Ellen R. Underwood, daughter of Henry and Nancy Underwood, a young woman possessing all the qualities of a woman of highest character. To this union was born a daughter, Nannie May, Jan. 8, 1880, who died in infancy. Bereft for the loss of a child, they seemed to live more devoted to each other until at length the wife's health failed and death came Sept. 3, 1896, leaving the home broken. At this time he went to the home of his eldest sister, Caroline M., Mrs. Van R. Noblitt of Orangeville, In., where he remained until he united in marriage to Arsenath Pinnick, daughter of James B. and Clarinda Lane Pinnick. Feb. 20, 1901. They at once established a home in Orangeville where they lived comfortably and happily until the death of the sister, Mrs. Noblitt, in March 1907, he having spoken of his happiness to again be in a home of his own. After the death of his sister, they moved into her home with a nephew, John A. Campbell, where they resided until his death. This home, a part of the Campbell homestead, just across the state highway from the place of his birth. This home was dearer to him because of these early attachments and memories. No man was more devoted to his home and companion. He was always doing all in his power to make it a home in its fullest sense.
Soon after the death of his first wife, he was converted at his home. He loved to go to church, to mingle with neighbors and friends and to have them come to their home, doing his utmost in his unassuming way to make all who came feel a welcome. Their home was shared with the wife's mother during the greater part of the last three years of her life.
Churches, charitable causes and those in need received help at his hand. It can be truly said that the beauty of his life was portrayed by his gentleness, meekness, honesty and trueness, making a character of highest integrity.
At the age of 81 years, 8 months and 1 day, on March 5, 1932, just as the shadows of night were gently and silently falling over the earth, the shadow of death fell upon him and his spirit was wafter to that new bright home, having told his companion that morning that he was ready to go.
With his passing one of the pioneers of the community has gone. While the wife and near ones so deeply feel the great loss, may they look to Him who in the fullness of his love and mercy can heal all our sorrows, and may all who knew him, though touched by his departure from this life, rather rejoice that they have come in contact with one whose life was so full of years and so rich in mercy, love and sympathy. Christ said, "In my Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also."
Besides those mentioned who had preceded him in death, he was also preceded by the mother on April 6, 1890; by a sister, Sarah E. Charles, Jan. 24, 1892; by George W. Campbell, Nov. 25, 1906; Caroline M. Noblitt, March 8, 1907, and James P. Campbell, March 23, 1913.
He is survived by the wife, seven nephews and two nieces, several great nephews and nieces and a number of great, great nephews and nieces, besides many other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held at Ames Chapel, Wednesday at 2:00 p.m., conducted by Rev. A. H. Rumbley of West Baden, Rev. Horace Hines of Sullivan, Ind. and Rev. N. F. Denny of Indianapolis, Ind.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to the many friends who so kindly assisted me during the illness and death of my husband. We wish to especially thank the minister, those who sang, the donors of the beautiful floral offerings, and the undertaker for his efficient services. Mrs. M. C. Campbell. Submitted byTom Agan.

JOHNSON, John H., Springs Valley Herald (March 17, 1932) Obituary
James H. Johnson, the son of Wesley and Emaline Johnson, was born June 13, 1854 and departed this life March 11, 1932, at the age of 77 years, 8 month and 28 days.
He was united in marriage to Sarah E. Pinnick on September 16, 1874. To this union was born six children. Two boys and two girls have preceded him in death. The sons surviving are John W. Johnson of French Lick, Ind. and Charles L. Johnson, living near French Lick. His wife preceded him in death of April 11, 1927.
He was later united in marriage to Mrs. Sarah E. Seneff, and lived at French Lick for three and a half years, and they spent these few years happily together.
A number of years ago Mr. Johnson united with the Methodist Church at Mt. Lebanon. A few hours before his going he was asked by Mrs. Johnson and also by one of his daughter-in-laws, about his assurance of going to Heaven, and his answer each time was that he was ready for Heaven.
Mr. Johnson leaves to mourn their loss, Mrs. Johnson, his wife; two sons, two daughter-in-laws, two grandchildren, two brothers, John T. Johnson of near West Baden and William Johnson of Orleans, Ind., one step daughter and many relatives and a large number of friends. Mr. Johnson was loved by everyone and will be greatly missed. Submitted byTom Agan.

WALKER, Floyd D., Springs Valley Herald (March 24, 1932) Death Notice
Floyd D. Walker, aged 50, died Sunday morning at 8:30 from the effect of cancer at his home on College Street. He had been suffering from cancer of the throat for almost a year before succumbing to this incurable disease.
Mr. Walker was well known in the Valley. He has been manager of the French Lick Western Union office for the past fifteen years. He was born in Oaktown, Ind., and first came to French Lick about twenty years ago as a telegraph operator during the spring and fall seasons. He came to live here permanently in 1917 at the time he was made manager of the local Western Union office.
Short funeral services were held at Schmutzler's Funeral Parlors at 8:30 Tuesday morning and were in charge of the French Lick Masonic Lodge, of which Mr. Walker was a member. Following the services here, the remains were taken to Oaktown, Ind., where funeral services were held at the Oaktown Christian Church, conducted by Rev. L. F. Drash, pastor of the French Lick Christian Church. Mr. Walker was a life-long member of the Oaktown Christian Church. The Oaktown Masonic Lodge had charge of the ceremonies at the grave.
Mr. Walker is survived by his wife, one son, Billy, his mother and one sister. His many friends in the Valley will cherish the memory of his quiet likable personality. Submitted byTom Agan.

WOOLSEY, Pearl, Springs Valley Herald (March 24, 1932) Death Notice
Miss Pearl Woolsey, aged 19 years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lon Woolsey, died Tuesday afternoon at her home here from bronchial pneumonia following influenza. Miss Woolsey was ill only a short time and news of her death came as a shock to her friends.
Funeral services were conducted this afternoon (Thursday) at 1:00 o'clock at her home. Burial was at Wycliffe, Ind., former home of her parents, at 2:30 today. Submitted byTom Agan.

STEWART, Fanny Helmstuttler, Springs Valley Herald (March 24, 1932) Obituary
Fanny Helmstuttler Stewart, daughter of Dan and Melindy Helmstuttler, was born in West Baden, Ind., April, 1855 and departed this life in New Prospect, March 13, 1932.
She was married to James Stewart of Marengo, Ind., September, 1881. To this union one child was born, Oscar. He being unmarried, he has always stayed at home with his mother. Mr. Stewart preceded her in death twelve years ago.
New Prospect had always been their home with the exception of about five years, which was spent in the state of Virginia and at Milan, Ind., where Mr. Stewart was taken by death. After a short time, Mrs. Stewart longed for her old neighbors and came back here, making another home on part of the old home place. Old neighbors welcomed her and son, but as one by one passed away she was almost left alone, and often she would say that it did not seem like home anymore.
Being left an orphan with two sisters, she went to make her home in the West Baden Hotel, which at that time was owned by Dr. John A. Lane. Mr. Lane took an interest in the orphan girl, and as he had a daughter the same age, they became like sisters, and after Mrs. Minnie Lane Webb left West Baden, she would visit Mrs. Stewart until death called her.
The two sisters preceded her in death a number of years ago, leaving her without relatives other than her son. She had many friends in and around her home who helped the son care for her in the last hours and did all that they could do for her comfort. Mrs. Stewart was a loving mother, kind and loving friend, and she will be sadly missed by all.
She united with the Methodist Church and was baptized when very young. She has always believed in her Savior.


I want to thank my neighbors for their help and sympathy during the sickness and death of my mother; I wish also to thank the singers, Rev. Rumbly, and the undertaker, W. V. Ritter & Son. Oscar Stewart. Submitted byTom Agan.

GOSS, Mary, Springs Valley Herald (March 31, 1932) Death Notice
Mrs. Mary Goss, aged 81, died last Saturday, March 26th, at her home at Crystal, Indiana, of the infirmities of age. Fir the last few years she had been unable to leave her home and for the last few months had been confined to her bed. Her helpless and crippled condition caused her great suffering which was relieved by death at 2:30 last Saturday morning.
Mrs. Goss was the widow of Lyman Goss, a Civil War veteran, and a half sister of W. C. Gruber, the editor of the Springs Valley Herald. She leaves three daughters, Mrs. George Abel of Windom, Ind., Mrs. Melvin Graves of Kellogg, Idaho, Mrs. R. Lovell, of Jasper, Ind. and one son, William of Kellogg, Idaho, also a half brother, Jesse Gruber of French Lick.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Propheter at two o'clock last Sunday afternoon at the Methodist Church in Crystal, of which she was a life-long member. Submitted byTom Agan.

CONRAD, Emma May, Springs Valley Herald (April 7, 1932) Death Notice
Mrs. Emma May Conrad, 33 years old, wife of Lem Conrad, died early last Monday morning of acute uremia following an illness of less than forty eight hours.
Mrs. Conrad had been in apparent good health up until about two days before she died. She was first taken ill last Saturday and so quickly did the fatal disease do its work that friends had scarcely learned of her illness when they were shocked by news of her sudden passing.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at Mt. Lebanon Church, conducted by Rev, Meredith of the Methodist Church, with burial at the Mt. Lebanon cemetery. Funeral arrangements were in charge of W. V. Ritter & Son. Submitted byTom Agan.

PINNICK, Rufus Elkanah, Springs Valley Herald (April 7, 1932) Death Notice
Rufus E. Pinnick, of near Prospect, well know in the valley, and county surveyor of Orange County dropped dead while in conference with the county commissioners at Paoli last Monday afternoon.
Mr. Pinnick had not been feeling in the best of health for several weeks, but had not been considered himself on the verge of even a serious illness. He had gone to Paoli Monday to discuss some details of county business with the commissioners. During the conference his opinion was requested in connection with the matter at hand. As he rose from his chair to comment on this question, he staggered a few steps to a window and collapsed. When the other men in the room reached him he was dead. Heart failure was given as the cause of death.
Mr. Pinnick, who was 65 years old, had lived here all his life and was a well known and active figure in the civic life of French Lick and West Baden. His official duties brought him in contact with a great number of people through out the county with the result that through the years his circle of friends had steadily increased.
He is survived by his wife and five children consisting of one daughter and four sons. He also leaves four sisters. Besides the immediate family he will be missed by unnumbered friends throughout the county and it is with sadness that we record the passing of this able citizen.
Funeral services were held at Bethel conducted by Rev. John McCullough at two o'clock Wednesday afternoon where over four hundred friends and relatives gathered to pay their respect as he was laid to rest in the cemetery near the church. As a special mark of respect the entire body of county officials attended the services.

Springs Valley Herald (April 14, 1932) Obituary
Rufus Elkanah Pinnick, eldest child of William Walter and Susan Pierce Pinnick was born January 16, 1867 and passed away April 4, 1932, aged 65 years, 2 months and 18 days. On April 19, 1897 he was united in marriage to Carrie Holland and to this union were born five children: Willis H., Bessie, Ralph E., Clyde H., and Walter P., all of whom with the widow, survive to mourn his departure. He also leaves to mourn four sisters, Marietta Pinnick, Cloes Hubbard, Ida Stone and Tressa McCracken, a brother, Oscar, having preceded him in death.
His entire life was spent in Orange County and his service in public life will be remembered. At the age of sixteen he began teaching school and for twenty six years was identified with local school systems. As an educator, he was concise, thorough, yet patient, and created a stern clean discipline for his pupils by his own living.
In 1910 and three times later he was chosen county surveyor and since that time, he has been active as a civil engineer. His untiring work as a public servant pays tribute to the sincere duty he felt to his constituency.
He lead a clean simple life, his character far out shown his clothes. and while not a member of any church, he was a profound Bible student, he lived a righteous life rather than profess one.
He was a member of the Orangeville I. O. O. F., Sons of the American Revolution and the Indiana Historical Society.
He was a brave man. No man could ever say that he concealed his convictions. What he believed, he believed, and he hid it from no man. Having the courage of his convictions, he was tenacious to his duty. He was not a coward in the face of responsibility. He met boldly and frankly and openly the discharge of every duty that came to him in the conscious conviction of what he believed was right.
There is one trait of his character upon which I desire to speak with peculiar pride. He was a courteous gentleman. He belonged to that old school wherein politeness was regarded as a superior virtue. In the present day, in the tumult and the hurry and the bustle and the confusion and the strife incident to the conditions that surround us, I sometime fell that the present generation does not have that regard, that veneration, for that superb element of character, politeness, courteous and dignified demeanor, which characterized our fathers and our grandfathers! and it differentiates, if you please the unpolished diamond from the polished diamond. In this respect Rufus Pinnick was a polished diamond.
I may add that he was a true man.
He loved the truth. He loved the truth, not for policy's sake, but because it might be expedient, but because there was implanted in his heart, there was ingrained in his soul, the love of that which is true, of that which is real, of that which is genuine. He despised hypocrisy. He hated a sham. He admired integrity of character and nobility of purpose, and ever strove to measure his own conduct by that high standard that ever makes the measure of a true man. He was true to his country. He was true to the obligations of citizenship. He was true to the obligations of friendship.


We wish to express sincere thanks to our friends for their kindness during our recent bereavement. Mrs. R. E. Pinnick and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

LARKIN, Ella Elledge, Springs Valley Herald (April 7, 1932) Obituary
Ella Elledge Larkin, daughter of Zephaniah and Frances Elledge was born September 17, 1880 and departed this life March 19, 1932, age 51 years, 6 months and 2 days.
On October 14, 1908 she was united in marriage to Albert Larkin and moved to Illinois, later to Oklahoma, moving back to French Lick about a year ago.
About 30 years ago she united with the M. E. Church. Owing to bad health most of her life she couldn't attend services regularly, but during her illness she expressed her readiness to meet her Master.
She leaves to mourn her loss a husband, one brother, William Elledge, one sister, Mrs. Lizzie Taylor, both of French Lick, other relatives and many friends.


We wish to thank our many friends and neighbors for their kindness during the sickness and death of our wife and sister, also we thank Drs. Hammond and Sloan for their services, Ritter & Son, also those who gave the beautiful flowers and Rev. Byrum and Rev. Goins for their words of comfort. Albert Larkin, William Elledge and Family, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Taylor. Submitted byTom Agan.

GASS, William Alonzo, Springs Valley Herald (April 14, 1932) Death Notice
William Alonzo Gass, aged 66, know to nearly everyone in the Valley as "Lon" died at his home here last Saturday afternoon at one o'clock from the ravages of diabetes.
Mr. Gass, who for several years has been ailing from the effects of the disease, had not been continuously confined to his bed, but at frequent intervals was able to be up and about the house. Saturday morning, however, he did not feel like leaving his bed and toward noon his condition became alarmingly serious. Dr. Sloan who had been attending him was called and did what was possible to sustain him but the ravages of the disease had taken their toll and death came quietly at one o'clock.
Mr. Gass is best remembered in the Valley as the proprietor of the Windsor Hotel, which he built and operated for twenty years or more. Several years ago gradually failing health caused him to retire from active business and live quietly at home. He was always active in civic affairs, was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, the K. of P. Lodge and a life long member of the First Christian Church. With his passing a full and well lived life is ended and the familiar sight of a pleasant friend is missing from our lives.
He is survived by his wife, Amelia, and two sons, Claude of Indianapolis and John Ralph of Toledo, Ohio as well as many other relatives and a host of friends in the community.
Private funeral services for the immediate family were held at the home at eleven o'clock Tuesday morning conducted by Rev. Drash, and the church funeral services were held at the First Christian Church here at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon. The services at the church were conducted by Rev. Trusty assisted by Rev. Drash and Rev. Meredith. Burial took place at Ames Chapel Tuesday afternoon. Arrangements were in the hands of W. V. Ritter & Son.

Springs Valley Herald (April 14, 1932) Obituary
William Alonzo Gass, son of James and Elizabeth Dillard Gass, was born November 11, 1865 at Newton Stewart, Ind. Died at his home in French Lick April 9, 1932, aged 66 years, 4 months and 29 days. He lived at Newton Stewart until he was about 9 years of age then moved to Dubois County.
On September 17, 1890 he was married to Miss Amelia A. Ellis. To this union were born three sons and three daughters. One son and three daughters died in early childhood. He is survived by his wife and two sons, Claude of Indianapolis and Ralph of Toledo, O., five grandchildren and a host of relatives and friends. A favorite grandson, Bille, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Gass died about three years ago. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. Claris Sparks of West Baden and Mrs. Sarah Jane Mills of Braymer, Mo., one half-brother, E. E. Beaty and one step-brother, John Beaty, both of French Lick, and one half-sister, Mrs. Ora Beaty Saunders of E. St. Louis, Ill.
He entered the teaching profession at the age of 19 and continued in this capacity for a period of fourteen years. After this he engaged in the hotel business in French Lick which he continued until seven years ago when failing health compelled him to retire from active business life. All that loving hands could do was done to stay the hand of death but all in vain. Brother Gass was one of the three or four remaining charter members of the First Christian Church of French Lick. He joined the Christian Church at Cuzco in 1893 and later when the church was organized at French Lick he transferred his membership. He served as an elder from its beginning, which position he filled with grace and efficiency. It was his greatest delight to meet with his brethren in the house of the Lord. When sickness prevented his going, with his pleasant optimistic disposition he would say, "perhaps next Sunday I can go." The church was the big outstanding factor and influence in his life. Because of illness he was prevented from attending the services of the church for many months, but his kindly advice and wise counsel was sought from time to time by those who assumed the leadership of the church.
Today a sense of debt is upon us. For the great love we bore him, we should pledge ourselves anew to the principles and ideals which he loved and lived. Although he is gone from our midst his influence lives on and will continually inspire us to do better things.
Brother Gass was also a charter member of the local Masonic, K. of P., Woodman and Ben Hur Lodges. He was always active in city affairs and served at different times in official capacity.


We wish to thank the friends and neighbors for their kindness and beautiful flowers, Rev. Drash, Rev. Trusty, and Rev. Meredith for their sympathetic and understanding words of comfort, Drs. Sloan and Dillinger for their kindly minstrations and the pall bearers, Messrs. Joe Parks, Milt Parks, O. B. Hancock, Fred Crowe, Ivan Dillard and Arthur Dillard, through the sickness and death of our husband and father, W. A. Gass. We also thank W. V. Ritter & Son for their services in connection with the funeral. Mrs. W. A. Gass, Claude Gass and Family, Ralph Gass and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.