Orange County Obituaries


CARTER, Edward, Springs Valley Herald (July 26, 1923) Death Notice
Edward Carter, aged about 40, living in the Old Union neighborhood, who has been a sufferer from pulmonary tuberculosis for many months died at his home Monday night. Funeral services were conducted at Union Wednesday afternoon and interment followed in the Paoli cemetery. Deceased was a member of the Orleans I. O. O. F. lodge, who had charge of the ceremonies. He leaves a wife and one child and a number of relatives and friends to mourn his departure. W. Banks William of this place is a brother-in-law. Submitted by Tom Agan.

BAGGERLY, Elmer Harrison, Springs Valley Herald (August 2, 1923) Death Notice
A joy ride terminated in an awful tragedy last evening near the Dixie Garage at West Baden when a car driven by Elmer Baggerly crashed into a turning post at the cross street. The accident happened about nine o'clock. The car struck the post squarely head on and was going toward West Baden at the time. Baggerly and a young woman, Carrie Crook, were in the car and Baggerly was at the wheel. Both were pinned between the wreckage of the front and the seat, the steering wheel crushing Baggerly's chest to almost a pulp.
Baggerly was carried into the Dixie Garage and medical aid called and it was found that he was fatally hurt. He was later taken to the home of his mother, Mrs. Beard, in French Lick, where he died about five o'clock this morning. Miss Crook suffered a bad scalp wound and several teeth were knocked out and driven through her tongue which was almost severed. She was brought to this city to Dr. Dillinger's office where he wounds were dressed. She is in a very serious condition as she has a concussion of the brand. She was taken to the Grand Hotel where she had been employed. Baggerly was a bricklayer and had been working on the new school building here.

Springs Valley Herald (August 9, 1923) Obituary
Elmer Harrison Begarly was born April 10th, 1883 and died August 2nd, 1923, aged forty years, three months and twenty-three days.
He was converted to the United Brethren faith and became a member of that church some years ago.
He was also a member of the Ben Hur Lodge, No. 200, and the International Union of America, Lodge No, 53411. At the time of his death he was employed as a brick mason on the new school building. It was said of him that whatever he did was well done, and that he was a clean first class workman.
He leaves a mother, one brother, one half-brother besides a number of other relatives and friends to mourn his departure.


We wish to thank all those who so sincerely expressed their sympathy by their kindness to us in our recent sad bereavement of our son, Elmer Harrison Begarly. We especially thank Rev. Loyd Van Lovell, Fellow workers and Ritter & Son, undertakers. Mother and Relatives. Submitted byTom Agan.

ATKINSON, Laura, Springs Valley Herald (August 2, 1923) Death Notice
Mrs. Laura, wife of Felix Atkinson, departed this life Wednesday last from a complication of diseases. funeral services were held on Friday at the M. E. Church, conducted by Rev. W. L. Mitchell, followed by interment at Ames Chapel. Mrs. Atkinson was in the 57th year of her age and for a period of about twenty-seven years had been an invalid. Repeated attacks of inflammatory rheumatism had so affected her limbs and feet that she was unable to walk during all these years and was confined to her home and easy chair. Being possessed of most remarkable traits of character, she at all times met her visitors with a smile and pleasant words, never complaining of her unfortunate condition. She had been a life-long member of the church and a most faithful wife and mother. To them had been born four sons, Clarence, Oscar, Walter and Frank, the last named now deceased, who were present at the funeral. Thus passes to her reward a christian, long suffering wife and mother.

Springs Valley Herald (August 2, 1923) Obituary
Laura Seybold Atkinson was born March 9, 1866, died July 25, 1923. Age 57 years, 4 months and 16 days.
She was married to Felix Atkinson April 18, 1886. To this union was born 4 children, Walter and Oscar of Chicago, and Clarence of West Baden, Frank preceded her to the grave in 1914.
Laura had been an invalid for 27 years, but bore her affliction with cheerfulness and patience. She always had a smile for everyone and often when her friends came would be whistling and singing. She often talked of Heaven and what it would be like to be there. She searched the scriptures and was a great reader. Laura joined the Christian Church and was baptized when about 16 years of age, but in recent years had become a member of the Ladies Aid of the M. E. Church and contributed her mite.
She leaves to mourn her going a husband, 3 sons, one sister, Mrs. William Condra, and numerous other relatives.
She will be greatly missed by friends and neighbors as she was always at the window and would wave her hands and call to them as they passed by.
Impressive funeral services conducted by Rev. W. L. Mitchell at the Methodist Church at West Baden. Submitted by Tom Agan.

PRUETT, Goldie May, Springs Valley Herald (August 2, 1923) Obituary
Goldie May, daughter of Charles and Minnie Allen Pruett, was born October 19, 1904, departed this life July 17, 1923, age 19 years, 8 months and 17 days.
She became afflicted with tuberculosis 8 months ago which was the cause of her death. But with all her suffering she was always cheerful and patient looking on the bright side of life.
Goldie was known and loved by all whom she came in contact with. She was always kind and thoughtful of the aged, the loved ones in the home and her associates. She united with the M. E. Church at this place when a child and since her affliction having come to a fuller knowledge of the teaching of the Savior. On the last Lords Day confessed her Savior again by being buried with him in baptism coming forth with a bright countenance and a blessed assurance that all was well with her soul, waiting and longing for her time of departure to come.
She leaves to mourn father, mother, two sisters, Roxie Olive and Norma June, one brother having preceded her in infancy, an aged grandmother, who so lovingly and patiently administered to her in hours of suffering which she appreciated so much, eight uncles, six aunts, a host of relatives and friends. Submitted byTom Agan.

CARNES, John Wesley, Springs Valley Herald (August 16, 1923) Death Notice
While preparations were bring made for the Harding memorial service here last Friday it was reported that John Carnes, a highly respected and prominent farmer citizen of this township had passed away at his home in the Red Quarry neighborhood a few miles west of this city. Mr. Carnes had been afflicted with Erysipelas and the disease terminated fatally. Mr. Carnes was one of the most progressive and successful farmers of his community and was a candidate for township trustee last fall and was only beaten by his opponent and neighbor, Mr. Purkhiser, by a small margin. He was a member of the Red Quarry Christian Church and it was due to his liberality that the new church was built in that neighborhood only a short time ago, as he was one of the heaviest contributors to it.
He was a member of the French Lick Lodge, No. 586, F. & A. M., and the lodge officiated at the funeral which was held at Mt. Lebanon Sunday and burial in the adjoining cemetery.

Springs Valley Herald (August 23, 1923) Obituary
John Wesley Carnes, of J. W. and Julia Carnes, was born August 80, 1867. Died August 10, 1923, aged 55 years, 11 months and 10 days.
He was married to Louisa Daugherty August 10, 1889. To this union were born 10 children, six of whom preceded him in death. The wife also died September 3, 1915.
He was a again united in marriage to Pearl Lashbrook December 8, 1918. This union was blessed with one daughter.
He was converted 27 years ago at the home of William Kerby in a cottage prayer meeting.
He served many years as Sunday School superintendent and was ever a willing and ready helper in time of need in the community. His departure brought a feeling of sadness to the entire community.
He leaves to mourn their loss a wife, five children, 4 grandchildren, one step-daughter, three brothers and two sisters, besides a large number of other relatives and friends.


We desire in this manner to express our deep feeling of appreciation to all who in any way gave assistance during the illness and after the death of our dear husband and father. We especially desire to thank the members of the Odd Fellows and Masonic fraternities for their manifestation of brotherly love. Also Brother Lovell and Brother Compton for their kind words and expressions of sympathy. Mrs. John Carnes and Family.

Springs Valley Herald (August 23, 1923) In Memoriam
Death having severed the cord of life and set at liberty the soul of our beloved brother, John W. Carnes, from the cares and sorrows of this life. Thus severing another link from the fraternal chain that binds us together may we, who survive him, be more strongly cemented in the ties of Union and Friendship and while we drop a sympathetic teat over the grave of our deceased brother let us cast around him the broad Mantle of Masonic charity nor withhold from his virtues claim at our hands.
John W. Carnes was raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason on the night of April 25th, 1900, by the French Lick Lodge No. 586 F. & A. M. and after lived an honorable and consistent member and was greatly loved by the fraternity and all who knew him.
He died at his home in French Lick Township, Orange County, Indiana, August 10th, 1923, Aged 55 years, 11 months and 10 days.
His funeral was preached at the Scarlet Ridge Church by Rev. Van Lovell August 12th, 1923, after which his remains were laid in their final resting place at the Scarlet cemetery by the French Lick Lodge No. 586 F. & A. M.
To those of his immediate relatives and friends who are most heartstricken at the lass we have all sustained We do most deeply sympathize with them in their bereavement, an the God of all graces help and comfort them and may they look forward to the time of the General Meeting where there will be no parting. Wm. J. McCoy, F. A. Roach, J. C. Robbins, Committee. Submitted byTom Agan.

LOVE, Amos, Springs Valley Herald (August 16, 1923) Death Notice
Amos Love, familiarly known as Friday Love, died at his home in the south part of this city last Thursday evening of that dread disease, tuberculosis. Friends of the sick man had built him a little house on the high ground in the south part of town a few months ago and it was hoped that the high altitude of the situation might help his recovery, but to no avail. The grim reaper, heath was relentless. The funeral was held Sunday and burial at Ames Chapel. Submitted byTom Agan.

LEE, William, Springs Valley Herald (August 16, 1923) Paoli News
The funeral of William Lee was held at the Friends Church here (Paoli) Sunday afternoon. Mr. Lee died in Oregon almost five months ago and the body was placed in a metallic casket for preservation until such a time as Mrs. Jones could arrange her business affairs and bring the body back here for burial, which was done last week. Mr. Lee formerly lived here, but several years ago moved to Oregon and there dealt extensively in sheep raising, an important industry in that locality. He returned here several years ago and was united in marriage to Miss Delphia Jones, to which union a son was born and is the only surviving child. Mrs. Jones and her little boy will remain here and make their home with her widowed mother, Mrs. Nathan Jones, on West Main Street. Submitted byTom Agan.

CRECELIUS, Mary Poland, Springs Valley Herald (August 23, 1923) Obituary
Mary Poland Crecelius was born at Eckerty, Ind. November 19, 1879, died at her home at French Lick, Ind. August 15, 1923. Age 43 years, 8 months and 27 days.
On September 15, 1910 she was married to Webster Crecelius. To this union one child was born, little Ermel, who preceded his mother three years ago.
She was converted and joined the Methodist Church at Eckerty, Ind. when about 19 years old and remained a believer in Gods word until the death called her home to rest.
During her long illness she often gave expression of her faith and without fear she was ready and willing to go.
While her sickness was long, she bore her suffering with great patience and saying "I will be glad to go."
While she could not see her many friends at times, she loved and appreciated their kindness in every way.
He kindness and love will be remembered by all her friends and neighbors.
She leaves to mourn, the husband, two brothers, a sister and a host of relatives and friends.


I wish to thank one and all for their help and kindness through the sickness and death of my wife, Mary Crecelius. I extend hearty thanks for all assistance given. V. W. Crecelius. Submitted byTom Agan.

DAVIS, Maggie, Springs Valley Herald (August 30, 1923) Death Notice
Miss Maggie Davis, an old resident of this community, died at her home in this city yesterday aged about 80 years. She was a good and kind old lady and had many friends in this vicinity. The funeral and burial will occur at Ames this afternoon. Paoli News. Submitted byTom Agan.

WININGER, Homer Eleazer, Springs Valley Herald (August 30, 1923) Obituary
Homer Eleazer Wininger, the fourth of nine children born to William Kindred and Mary Allen Wininger, was born March 28, 1890 and died August 22, 1923, aged 33 years, 4 months and 24 days.
His early life was spent working on the farm in summer and attend the country schools at winter. He attained a splendid physical manhood and was known everywhere as an exceptionally good farm hand.
On June 26, 1918, he enlisted in the World War as a private in Co. A., 140th Indiana Infantry, and went immediately into military training, spending most of his time at Camp Sherman, near Chillicothe, Ohio. He sailed overseas in September 1, 1918, and for about six months was at various places in France, reaching the front lines just before the signing of the armistice. He arrived back in the United States on April 26, 1919, and received an honorable discharge on May 9th following.
On October 18, 1919 he was united in marriage to Alta Blanche Laswell, and the young couple apparently faced only the brightest future. A daughter, Onalee Geneva, came to brighten the household, and later a son, Homer Thomas, was born to them. But recently the effects of his army life began to show on Homer's health and today the young widow and orphaned babies, together with relatives, comrades, friends and neighbors have come to bid a last farewell to one who was an honest and hard working man, a brave and patriotic soldier, a true and faithful friend, a dutiful son, an affectionate and exemplary husband and father. Submitted byTom Agan.

BENNETT, Odus, Springs Valley Herald (September 6, 1923) Death Notice
Odus Bennett (colored) for many years porter of the West Baden Springs Hotel died Saturday at his home in West Baden from a paralytic stroke. The funeral services were conducted at the colored K. of P. Hall in the city Monday afternoon by the Masonic and K. of P. orders of which he was a member and by Rev. Thompson, pastor of the A. M. E. Church. Burial at the Knights of Pythias cemetery at Mt. Lebanon.
Odus Bennett was an old and faithful employee of the West Baden Springs Company for years while Mr. Sinclair was proprietor of it. There is no other face or figure about that big hotel that was more familiar to guest who frequently visited the valley than Odus Bennett. He had made money and owned several good pieces of resident property in West Baden. The floral tributes at the funeral were abundant and very magnificent.

Springs Valley Herald (September 6, 1923) West Baden News
Odis Bennett died from a stroke of paralysis last Saturday morning about 8 o'clock at his home at this place. Ten days ago he returned home from a vacation of two weeks, which he had spent at various Eastern points, but had been confined to his room, but a short time. He was born in Louisville, Ky. and was in the 51st year of his age, and had been in the employ of the West Baden Springs Co. for about thirty years. He was a charter member of the Lost River Lodge No. 50, A. F. & M. located at French Lick, and at the institution of that lodge was made its first Senior Warden. He had also for many years been a member of Prosperpine Lodge No. 27, Knights of Pythias, at French Lick, which lodge had charge of his funeral services and burial Monday afternoon, the service taking place at the lodge hall with discourse by Rev. Thompson, after which the mortal remains were laid to rest in the Knights of Pythias cemetery near French Lick. Surviving him is a devoted wife, one son and one daughter.

Springs Valley Herald (September 13, 1923)
We wish to thank our many friends and relatives for their kindness and sympathy shown in the death of our beloved husband and father, Odis Burnett.
We especially thank the Mason's and K. of P. Lodge for its prompt attention and excellent way of conducting the ceremony, the community choir for the sweet songs and Mrs. Wm Sebree for the beautiful solo, the Revs. Bray, Thompson and Bryant, and each and everyone for their beautiful floral offerings, Mr. Ritter, the undertaker, for his efficient services. Mrs. Lola Burnett and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

THURSTON, Grover Cleveland, Springs Valley Herald (September 6, 1923) Obituary
Grover Cleveland Thurston, fifth child of Thomas J. and Sarah J. Flick Thurston, was born at French Lick, Indiana, October 21st, 1885 and died of lobar pneumonia at his home in Roberts, Illinois, April 26th, 1923, after an illness of six days. He belonged to a family of eight children, three of who and the father have preceded him in death.
Nine years ago the deceased moved to Ford County, Illinois and since that time has lived in Roberts. He married Esther Maud Gullett of Roberts, Wednesday, September, 1915. Mr. and Mrs. Thurston are the parents of three children, William Thomas, Rosella Helen and Francis Earl.
Mr. Thurston was brought up in the Christian Church and at the age of 17 was baptized and received into membership with the Rural Christian Church at French Lick. His mother says that he was a loving and dutiful son and that he took many burdens from her in the care of the family after the death of his father which occurred twenty-six years ago. He was always active in public affairs, was one of the strongest supporters of the Roberts Chautauqua, the Roberts Booster Club and all organization for closer association of business men and citizens of our community. He was of a jovial disposition and made many friends who join the family in sorrow at this time of bereavement.
He leaves to mourn his death, the wife and children previously mentioned, the mother, Mrs. Sarah J. Thurston of French Lick, Indiana, one brother and three sisters, Mary Ellen Hamilton of Paoli, Indiana, Rosie Kellams of Newton Stewart, Indiana, Rosetta Flick of French Lick, Indiana, and Frank Thurston of Newton Stewart, Indiana. also a number of other relatives and numerous friends both in Indiana and this vicinity.
The funeral service was held at the home, Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, Rev. John T. Killip and Rev. Jeanette O. Ferris officiating. The services at the grave were in charge of the Lyman Lodge No. 293, Knights of Pythias and Roberts Camp No. 2039, Modern Woodmen of America. There were about 120 members of these orders in line for the service.
Among those from a distance who attended the funeral were the mother and brother, Frank, before mentioned, Robert Gullett of Fulton, Missouri, Fred and Bert Chenneour of Fort Wayne, Indiana, Mrs. Ernest Gullett of Omaha, Nebraska, Miss Hilda Kenward of Decatur, besides a large number for Cissna Park, Chatsworth Melvin, Piper City and other nearby places. Submitted byTom Agan.

THOMAS, Florence, Springs Valley Herald (September 6, 1923) Death Notice
Mrs. John L. Thomas (colored) died at their home on Walnut Street Saturday night. She was in her usual good health when she retired at 9:00 o'clock and was dead at 11:00 from a stroke of paralysis. The funeral was held Tuesday and burial at the K. of P. cemetery. Her burial was postponed till Tuesday on the account of the funeral of Odus Burnett being held on Monday.

Springs Valley Herald (September 13, 1923)
With my heart filled with sorrow, I cannot forget the kindness and sympathy shown by all relatives, friends and neighbors during my sad hours of bereavement in the loss of my beloved and faithful wife, Florence Thomas.
I most especially thank Rev. John Crittenden for his consoling words, pall bears and the Community Choir for their hymns. Also the local organizations, and the undertakers, W. V. Ritter & Son.
The bereaved husband, John L. Thomas. Submitted by Tom Agan.

BALLARD, Harry, Springs Valley Herald (September 6, 1923) Death Notice
The mortal remains of Harry Ballard arrived at this place Wednesday last. Harry had been undergoing treatment at a Louisville hospital and was but down in the prime of young manhood by a paralytic stroke on Tuesday. He was a son of John Ballard and was a fireman in a railroad system running out of Louisville, where he made his home. His age was 32 years. He is survived by his father and mother, three sisters and one brother, who were all present at the last sad rites.
The funeral services were held from the residence of his sister, Mrs. Frank Pope, at 1:30 p.m. today (Thursday) Rev. W. L. Mitchell, pastor of the M. E. Church conducting the service, after which the remains were laid to rest at Ames Chapel. Submitted byTom Agan.

JACOBS, Page, Springs Valley Herald (September 13, 1923) Death Notice
Page Jacobs, an aged resident of this vicinity died last Thursday. He had been in failing for several years and had been bedfast most of the past year. He was a carpenter by trade and built many houses throughout the country in his time. Submitted byTom Agan.

LAWSON, James, Springs Valley Herald (September 13, 1923) Death Notice
James Lawson (colored) while at the residence of his brother, Charles, at this place last Thursday was very suddenly and without warning stricken with a seizure of the heart and expired in a few minutes. He had been a familiar figure about the springs for many years. The remains were taken to Louisville for interment. Submitted byTom Agan.

EMMINGER, Orville, Springs Valley Herald (September 20, 1923) Death Notice
Orville Emminger, aged about 44 years, died at his home on Summitt Circle Sunday afternoon about 1:30 o'clock. Mr. Emminger had not been in his usual health for several months and recently had his tonsils removed as they were diseased. He was then stricken with something like rheumatism and in a few days had to take his bed. This happened about the first of last week and he rapidly grew worse until his death Sunday.
Mr. Emminger was a quiet unassuming man who attended strictly to his own affairs and was loved by all who knew him. He was a member of the French Lick Springs Hotel Orchestra as trap drummer, which position he had filled for ten or more years. He leaves a wife, two daughters and two sons. His was a home in which unalloyed love seemed to dwell at all times between father, mother and the bright and happy children.
The body was take to Pendleton, Ind. Tuesday for burial as his mother lives there and that was the home of his parents.
The pall bearers were members of the French Lick Springs Hotel Orchestra, and the French Lick Springs band escorted the remains to the train Tuesdays and played dirges on the way from the Catholic Church where the services were held to the depot.

Springs Valley Herald (October 4, 1923)

We wish to thank our many friends and neighbors for all their kindness show us during the sickness and death of our dear father and husband. Mrs. Bessie Emminger and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

ROMINGER, Jonathan P., Springs Valley Herald (September 20, 1923) Death Notice
J. P. Rominger, one of the few remaining member of the Bazil B. Decker Post G.A.R., died at his home new Abydel last Friday and was buried at Ames Chapel cemetery Sunday.

Springs Valley Herald (November 8, 1923) Obituary
Jonathan P. Rominger, son of Thomas and Catherine Clorinda Rominger, was born in Davidson County, North Carolina, August 26th, 1840. He departed this life on Friday September 14, 923, being at the time of his death eighty-three years and nineteen days of age.
Though of Southern birth he was unprejudiced by the actions of his native State, North Carolina, which seceded from the Union. He walked every step of the way from North Carolina to this State and County were he volunteered December 2, 1861, as a private in Company F, 59th Indiana Volunteers, 3rd Division.
Their first introduction to the forces of the enemy was at Sextonville, Mo. whom they defeated. They were then assigned to General Pope's command to assist in capturing Island No. 10.
After several weeks in skirmishing, canal digging and maneuvering, they accomplished their purpose and the Mississippi River was opened to Vicksburg, which was destined to withstand the Union efforts until July 1863. Following Price and Van Dorn in their efforts to unite again Rosecrans, they met the enemy at Holly Springs, Iuka, and in the second battle of Corinth. Turning the Confederate forces southward, they invested Memphis, and at Hamburg won the victory through a ruse perpetrated by Gen. Siegel, who to deceive the enemy fired gravel instead of grape and canister, which caused their defeat. About this time Comrade Rominger's enlistment expired and he re-enlisted for three years.
Joining Grant's forces the 59th took an active part in the Vicksburg Campaign at Jackson, Black River Bridge, Gibson and Champion Hills, they felt the fierceness of the conflict with Pemberton and Johnston. passing through the long siege, where he received a wound in the right shoulder, they ascended the Yazoo River, and after undergoing many hardships at Yazoo Pass found the city evacuated and the campaign ended with little importance.
The Christmas at Savannah, the burning of Columbia and Johnston's vain attempt to disconcert Sherman at Bentonville and Averysborough are all memories which ended at Goldsboro, North Carolina, April 26, 1865, and the line of march was taken up for Washington, where the Grand Review of Grant's and Sherman's armies, white winged peace was declared and our hero took his departure with his regiment for home. Through it all he passed with slight bodily injury, but better still with a soul untarnished with army vices after forty-four months of honorable service, being discharged at Louisville, Ky. as a corporal July 16, 1865. Returning to Orange County, Indiana, he again took up the thread of civil life to perform his duties as an honorable Christian Citizen, where he resided at the time of his departure for a better world.
Brother Rominger was married to Miss Mary A. Boyd, Feb. 16, 1868, who preceded him to the better world January 12, 1916.
To this union was born the following sons and daughters: One daughter who died in infancy and Mrs. Nellie Sparks, Mrs. Lillie Lashbrooks, Charley Rominger and Everett Rominger, all of whom survive him and who still reside in Orange County.
Brother Rominger was a loyal tried and true member of the Ames Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church till his death. He was a consecrated Christian and was a man who delighted to talk of things pertaining to Christ and His glorious Kingdom. He has always been found to be an able and faithful counsellor by his pastors and is mourned by the above named children and a number of grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.
This Tree full of fruit for the Harvest had been removed to the heavenly soil where it shall dwell forevermore with Jesus.
He was converted 52 years ago and live a consecrated Christian life ever since. He was used of the Lord to preach and expected to meet many whom he had led to his Savior in Heaven.

Note - Rev. Mitchell who handed the above obituary in wishes to state that the reason it did not appear sooner was that he thought it had been published in a Paoli paper. Submitted byTom Agan.

JONES, Samuel, Springs Valley Herald (September 20, 1923) Death Notice
Announcement on Sunday morning of the sudden death of Samuel Jones caused profound sorrow among his many friends in Orange County. Mr. Jones had been making his home with his sister-in-law, Mrs. Florence Jones, at Abeydell, and on retiring Saturday night he was apparently in good health. Mrs. Jones thought she heard an unusual noise during the night, to which she gave little attention, and early Sunday morning when she went to the room to awaken Mr. Jones she received no response to her call, and in opening the door to his room she found him lying dead in bed. Mr. Jones had been a sufferer from liver trouble for some time, which disease had affected his heart. Coroner Dr. K. I. Maris was called and held a post mortem, his verdict being that heart disease was the cause of Mr. Jones' death. Mr. Jones was a good citizen, honest in his dealings with his fellow man, and his going out is deeply deplored. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at two o'clock at Ames Chapel, the services being conducted by Rev. Mitchell, pastor of the M. E. Church at West Baden. Paoli News. Submitted byTom Agan.

MAXEDON, Edward, Springs Valley Herald (September 20, 1923) Death Notice
Edward Maxedon, who has been very low for several days, died at the home of his brother, James L. Maxedon, here (Paoli) Friday night, of cerebral apoplexy. He was 56 years of age,. He leaves a daughter, Mrs. Crumly, of Kansas City, Mo., a brother, James L. Maxedon, of this place, two half-brothers, William and Thomas Maxedon and two half-sisters, Mrs. Mary Byrd and Mrs. Lizzie Schurz. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. W. McCullough at the Maxedon home here Sunday morning and interment followed at Rock Springs in Southeast Township in the afternoon. Submitted byTom Agan.

HENLEY, Fannie C., Springs Valley Herald (September 27, 1923) Death Notice
This community was deeply shocked late Friday afternoon to learn that Mrs. Joseph E. Henly, of Bloomington, had been perhaps fatally injured in an auto accident near that city. A telegram reached her son, Farwell Rhodes, here immediately after the accident and he left for Bloomington in his car. It was later learned that she died in a hospital at Bloomington Friday night. She had suffered a fracture of the skull.
Mrs. Henley was thrown out of her car and her skull crushed when it collided with another car driven by Earl Buskirk, a high school boy.
Mrs. Henley formerly lived here as the wife and later the widow of William Rhodes, liveryman and was know and loved by all who knew her. She was a woman of great mental and spiritual power in the community and she was diligent in looking after the distressed or needy.
She later married mr. Joseph E. Henley, a prominent Attorney of Bloomington, Ind. where she had lived for a few years. She spent last winter with her husband in Indianapolis where he was a member of the upper house of the State Legislature.
Funeral services were held at Bloomington Sunday and the body was shipped to this place where it lay in state at the West Baden Baptist Church from eleven till 1:30 when another service was held and the remains taken to the Ames Chapel cemetery and laid to rest beside her former husband, W. A. Rhodes. Submitted byTom Agan.

HOBSON, Hiram, Springs Valley Herald (September 27, 1923) Death Notice
Uncle Hiram Hobson, an old veteran of the Civil War, died at the home of his son, Enoch Hobson in this city Thursday night. Mr. Hobson was well advanced in years and had been very active all his life up to within a few months ago. Burial at Moores Ridge Sunday at 10 a.m.
Many from here accompanied the remains to Moores Ridge where a large number were gathered to pay their respects to their deceased friend. Six of his old comrade in arms were honorary pall bearers.

Springs Valley Herald (September 27, 1923) Moores Ridge
Mr. Hiram Hobson, an old soldier of the Civil War was laid to rest at the Moores Ridge cemetery Sunday, Rev. Volney Trimble officiating. We extend our sympathy to the bereaved family.

Springs Valley Herald (September 27, 1923)

We wish to thank our many friends and relatives for the sympathy shown us in the recent illness and bereavement of our loved one, Hiram Mc. Hobson, also for the many beautiful flower offerings tendered us by the Christian church, K. of P. Lodge and the kind friends. We also wish to thank the Rev. Trimble and the G.A.R. Post for the services rendered. Such acts will not soon be forgotten. E. L. Hobson and Wife. Submitted byTom Agan.

CLAYTON, Blanche Carnes, Springs Valley Herald (September 27, 1923) Death Notice
The body of Blanche Clayton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Carnes was brought to this city for burial Sunday. Mrs. Clayton was killed in an auto accident at Vincennes, Ind., where she resided. Interment was at Mt. Lebanon Sunday afternoon. Submitted byTom Agan.

ALLEN, Homer, Springs Valley Herald (October 18, 1923) Death Notice
The news of the death of Homer Allen at the Methodist Hospital at Indianapolis last Thursday morning following an operation for appendicitis on the previous Sunday night came as a shock to his many friends here (Paoli). The operation was a success, but death resulted from the poison that infected the system from the disrupted appendix. The body was brought home Thursday night and funeral services were held in the Presbyterian Church Sunday afternoon at 2:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. I. Campbell, assisted by the pastor of the Baptist Church, Rev. Allen.
Homer Allen was generally known as a steady and industrious young man; pleasant and sociable to all, and possessing many noble traits of character. He was a member of the Thornton Club, a subsidiary organization of the Presbyterian Sunday School, and had expressed a desire to place his membership and that of his family in that church at an early date.
A very beautiful tribute to his memory was paid by E. L. Throop in behalf of the Thornton Club. many lovely floral offerings, borne by the close lady friends of Mrs. Allen, were expressions of the high esteem in which the deceased was held. The body was laid to rest in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery, besides the remains of an infant son, laid to rest two years ago. Mrs. Allen had been in a very critical condition due to anxiety during his fateful illness and grief of his death. The sympathy of the town and community is with her and the other surviving relatives and friends.
Among those in attendance from out of town at the funeral services of Homer Allen last Sunday, were his mother, Mrs. Henry T. Allen, Orleans; two sisters, Mrs. E. D. Shirey, of Omaha, and Mrs. Van Montgomery, of Orleans; one brother, Dr. Charles Allen, Albany, N. Y.; Mrs. Alfred Vannerson, Baltimore, Md.; Dr. and Mrs. F. C. Walker, Indianapolis; Edward Osborne and son, of Elwood; George Pope and family of French Lick; Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Atkinson, French Lick; Miss Minnie Allen, Orleans; Mrs. Lucy Halbert, Orleans and Mrs. Wilbur Baker, Orangeville. Submitted byTom Agan.

DIXON, Cora Alice, Springs Valley Herald (October 25, 1923) Obituary
Mrs. Cora Alice Wilson Dixon, daughter of Argie and Sarah Wilson, was born August 5, 1892 and departed this life October 15, 1923, age 31 years, 2 months and 10 days.
She was united in marriage to Ottis Dixon June 27, 1914 and to this union were born four children, threes boys and one girl, Ottis, Leathie, James and Arthur. she has always been since her marriage a kind and loving mother and a faithful wife, the home always had her care.
Cora was converted and baptized July, 1923. It is always a great loss to the family and to the community for a devoted one as she to be called away, but we believe our loss is heavens gain and that she is asleep in Jesus now.
Cora was buried in the Moores Ridge Cemetery October 16, 1923. Rev. N. C. Pfeiffer officiating. Submitted by Tom Agan.

DAVIDSON, Nora, Springs Valley Herald (November 1, 1923) Death Notice
Mrs. Nora Davidson, widow of Thomas Davidson, died at her home in this city about eleven o'clock Sunday night after an illness of only a few days from abscessed teeth. About a week ago Mrs. Davidson's teeth became affected to such an extent that her jaws were so swollen that the teeth could not be extracted, but the gums were lanced and much pus kept flowing, but her condition kept growing worse and terminated in her death Sunday night. Since the death of her husband several years ago she has lived with her two sons, Floyd and Raleigh, except during the time they were both overseas during the World War. Since returning from France the boys have made their home with their mother. She was a member of the local lodge of Eastern Star and Royal Neighbors.
The funeral was at Abydel Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Apple of the U. B. Church conducted the services. The floral tributes were many and beautiful. Submitted byTom Agan.