Orange County Obituaries


WELLS, James Cecil, Springs Valley Herald (October 26, 1950) Death Notice
James C. Wells, 28, died Sunday at the Silvercrest Sanatorium near New Albany. He was a veteran of World War 2.
Funeral service was held in Ritter's Funeral Parlor Tuesday afternoon by Rev. James Dixon assisted by Dr. George W. Wise. Burial was in Ames Chapel cemetery.
He is survived by the wife, Hester and five children, Judith, James, Larry, Joe, Sandra and Loella and his mother, Mrs. Vada Dixon.

Springs Valley Herald (November 9, 1950) Obituary
James Cecil Wells was born July 16, 1922. He departed this life October 22, 1950, at the age of 28 years, 3 months and 6 days.
To know Jimmie was to love him, his sufferings had become so severe in the past few weeks that death came as a welcome release.
He was a veteran of World War II, serving his country here and overseas from December 11, 1942 until November 7, 1945, when he received an honorable discharge from the army; also a medal for good conduct and faithful service.
He leaves to mourn his passing his wife, Hester Rainey Wells, their three small children, Judith, James and Larry, a little step daughter, Sandra King and Zoella, a little daughter by a former marriage. Also his mother, Vada Dixon, his step-father, Sherman Dixon, a half brother, John Dixon and a host of relatives and friends.
Knowing Jimmie believed in the Lord Jesus and His Divine love and power, we are not afraid to trust him to his care for God is love and with Him all things are possible.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to each and everyone who assisted us n any way during the sickness and death of our loved one, James C. Wells. The kind words of sympathy will never be forgotten. Wife and Children, Mother, Vada Dixon, Brother, John Dixon. Submitted by Tom Agan.

ERVIN, Muriel, Springs Valley Herald (October 26, 1950) Death Notice
Muriel Ervin, 33, died Saturday in the Silvercrest Sanatorium near New Albany where he had been a patient for 12 years. He was a son of the late John Ervin of this community.
Funeral service was held at the E. U. B. Church Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Scull and Rev. Kerby. Burial was in Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He leaves 4 brothers, Vern of French Lick, Clarence and Clair of Chicago and George of Paoli; 4 sisters, Mrs. Inez Brown, Mrs. Dora Howard and Mrs. Lizzie McLane of French Lick and Mrs. Myrtle Pederson of Chicago, Ill.

Springs Valley Herald (November 2, 1950) Obituary
Muriel Ervin, the son of John and Lottie Cassidy Ervin, was born near French Lick, Indiana, March 14, 1917. It was there that he attended the public schools and grew to manhood. His kind disposition and fine character, win him many friends and acquaintances who loved him.
In the latter part of the year of 1938, he was stricken with that dreadful malady, tuberculosis, and entered the Sanitarium at Rockville, Indiana, January 11, 1939. After spending two years there, he was taken to the newly built Silvercrest Hospital at New Albany, Indiana. It was during his nine years confinement there that he made so many friends. Many of the friends who came to visit him would often remark, that he trust in the Lord. To this he would reply that he did. He always carried the word of God with him and attended the Chapel Services as long as his health would permit.
Muriel was possessed with an unusual sense of humor, and cheerfulness that won him many friends. The generous donation he received from his friends were truly appreciated.
He loved to visit with his sisters and brothers. During July of this years he showed so much improvement that he was released from the hospital and spent nine weeks with his sister and brothers in Chicago, Illinois. On September 25th he was recalled for a check-up and was so much improved that he made plans for next summer.
The word of God says, that "No Man knoweth when he shall come, Not even the Angels in Heaven," and how true that is for on the morning of October 21st he took suddenly worse, and then at 10:40 a.m. he quietly and peacefully passed away at the age of 33 years, 7 months and 7 days.
His parents and three brothers preceded him in death several years ago. He leaves to mourn his departure, four sisters, Mrs. Inez Brown, Mrs. Dora Howard, Mrs. Elizabeth McLane of French Lick, George of Paoli, Indiana and Clair and Clarence of Chicago and a host of near relatives and friends.


We wish to acknowledge with deep appreciation the kindness, sympathy and beautiful floral tributes extended by our relatives, friends and neighbors in our time of bereavement.
We especially wish to thank those who furnished cars, the pall bearers. Also we wish to thank Rev. Scull and Rev. Kearby and mr. Lee Kearby and Schmutzler for their kindness rendered and all who assisted in any way. Mr. and Mrs. Verne Ervin, Mr. and Mrs. George Ervin, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Ervin, Mr. and Mrs. Clair Ervin, Mr. and Mrs. James McLain, Mr. and Mrs. William Howard, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brown, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Pederson. Submitted byTom Agan.

LANE, William Sherrod, Springs Valley Herald (November 9, 1950) Death Notice
William Sherrod Lane, 84, formerly of French Lick died Saturday, November 4th in an Evanston, Illinois hospital. Mr. Lane had a paralytic stroke Wednesday of last week at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Troy D. Lee, in Wheeling, Illinois, and was taken to the Evanston hospital immediately for treatment, but never regained consciousness. Mr. Lane formerly lived in French Lick where he manufactured soft drinks for a number of years before selling to Taylor and Romain.
He has been spending the winters with his daughter, Mrs. E. E. MacDonald of Bedford and the summer seasons with Mrs. Lee for several years.
The body was returned here Monday night and lay in state at the Schmutzler Funeral Parlors where services were conducted Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock by Rev. George W. Wise of the Christian Church. Burial was in Ames Cemetery.
He is survived by the two daughters mentioned, and a son, Russell of French Lick, a half sister, Mrs. Lucy Martin of Bisknell, Ind., and a brother, Thomas Lane of Orange County. Submitted byTom Agan.

COX, Jesse, Springs Valley Herald (November 9, 1950) Death Notice
Jesse Cox, age 92, who formerly lived on Route 2, French Lick, Indiana, died on November 8 at the home of his son, Lee Cox, at Wheatland, Ind., where he had made his home for the past seven years.
His remains were brought to Ritter's Funeral Home to lie in state until 1:00 p.m. Thursday, November 9. Funeral service and burial will be at South Liberty Church, Friday, November 10.

Springs Valley Herald (November 16, 1950) Obituary
Jesse Cox was born April 11, 1858, departed this life November 8, 1950. Age 92 years, 6 months and 28 days. He was born in Dubois County, the son of John and Elizabeth Kimmell Cox. He was married to Mattie Brent August 8, 1878; to this union five sons were born; three of whom, with their mother have passed on. Lee, of Wheatland, Indiana and Edd, of Hoopston, Illinois remain. there are three grandchildren, thirteen great grandchildren and six great great grandchildren also remaining to suffer the loss.
After the passing of his first wife, he was remarried to Mrs. Nancy Cox, who has also passed away.
In early life he with his parents moved to Orange County, where he remained until 1943, when he went to live with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Cox of Wheatland, Indiana.
While young in life he and his early companion realized the incompleteness of a home without God and united themselves with their Lord, worshiping with the brethren of the South Liberty Congregation of the Church of Christ. To this faith and hope he has remained steadfast.
In sickness and in health he was always content with his lot and could always smile and never complain; and in peace and clam he quietly exchanged from that which is corruptible to that which is incorruptible to await the righteous judgment of his Savior in whom he has lived in trust.


We wish to express out thanks to all who assisted us in any way during our sorrow. Especially Mr. Ritter and the Minister. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

WILLARD, James, Springs Valley Herald (November 16, 1950) Death Notice
James Willard, 81, died at his home near Sulphur Creek Wednesday night, November 8, following a long illness.
The body lay in state at Schmutzler's Funeral Home until Friday afternoon when Brother Charles Golloway was charge of the funeral service at Sulphur Creek. Burial took place in the Moores Ridge cemetery.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Anna Willard and one son, Norman, at home. Submitted by Tom Agan.

CONDRA, James, Springs Valley Herald (December 7, 1950) Death Notice
James Condra 73, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Pauline Bearden on Washington Street. He had been sick the past several weeks.
Rev. Barber conducted the funeral service in the Pilgrim Holiness Church Tuesday afternoon. Burial took place in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He is survived by Floyd and Mrs. Pauline Bearden of French Lick, Gerald Condra of Homedale, Idaho and Mrs. Gwendolyn Adams of Boise, Idaho. Submitted byTom Agan.

FARRIS, John, Springs Valley Herald (December 14, 1950) Death Notice
John Farris, 83, died Tuesday night after a long illness.
Funeral service was held in the Pilgrim Holiness Church this afternoon, Thursday, by Rev. Barber.
He is survived by three sons, Jack, William and Larkin and one daughter, Mrs. Sarah Livingston. Submitted by Tom Agan.

GARRISON, Salem, Springs Valley Herald (December 14, 1950) Death Notice
Salem Garrison, 76, died Thursday night at the home of his sister, Miss Mattie Garrison, following a stroke.
Funeral service was held at the home Sunday by Rev. Ethridge of Bedford. Burial was made in the Sulphur Creek cemetery.
Besides the sister mentioned above he leaves a nephew, Willie Lynch, who lived with them.

Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1950) Obituary
Salem Garrison, son of Woodford and Melinda J. Garrison,was born August 12th, 1874 in Winslow, Indiana and passed away at the family residence December 7th, 1950, aged 76 years, 3 months and 26 days. He is survived by one sister, Miss Martha Garrison, two nephews, Frederick Lewis Garrison and William Aaron Garrison ; two nieces Mrs. Bessie Garvey and Mrs. Eva Bennett and a number of grand nieces and nephews and a host of friends. He was preceded in death by his parents and four brothers and three sisters. He was a constant student of the Bible and studied until the end. He found life very interesting and wished to live to an older age, but since his health failed he was will and ready to go.

We wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to our many friends and neighbors for their acts of kindness and their messages of sympathy during the illness and death of our brother and uncle. Miss Martha Garrison, Mr. and Mrs. William Lynch Submitted byTom Agan.

MARIS, Nettie, Springs Valley Herald (December 21, 1950) Death Notice
Mrs. Nettie Maris, who suffered a stroke at Dr. J. K. Spears office in Paoli Saturday afternoon died in the Clark Hospital early Saturday morning.
Mrs. Maris was the widow of Dr. Irvin Maris and since his death had made her home with her sister, Mrs. Mary Lindley.
Survivors, other than the sister, are two children, Mrs. Doel Oldham of Martinsville and Leighton of Paoli, a brother, Dr. Paul Lindley and four grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Friends Church in Paoli by Rev. Albert Copeland. Burial was made in the Community cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

LANE, Sampson, Springs Valley Herald (December 21, 1950) Death Notice
Sampson Lane, 58, passed away Wednesday morning at 10:00 o'clock in the Washington Hospital where he was taken Tuesday afternoon after suffering a stroke Tuesday morning about ten o'clock.
the body will lay in state at Ritter's Funeral Parlor until Saturday afternoon when services will be held at the First Christian Church with Dr. G. W. Wise officiating. Interment will be made in Ames Cemetery.
He leaves the wife, Mrs. Maude Lane, two sons and one daughter, Robert Lane of French Lick, J. P. Lane and Mrs. Helen Wilson of Kansas City, and three sisters, Mrs. Maude Beatty, Mrs. Pearl Briner and Mrs. Cloe Beatty, all of French Lick. Submitted byTom Agan.

BROWN, Menlo, Springs Valley Herald (December 21, 1950) Death Notice
Menlo Brown, age 46, was found dead in the dry kiln of the Wininger factory here Monday morning when Bobby Johnson called to get some lumber from the kiln which he had been seasoning.
Brown's body was laying in front of the blower which circulated the hot air in the kiln and was thought to have been there since Saturday night, as he was last seen about 8:30 night in the vicinity of the factory.
The temperature had registered a steady 150 degrees through Saturday night, Sunday and Sunday night, which so baked the body that it could not be prepared properly for funeral services. He had been seen trying to enter the kiln once before by the fireman who invited him into the boiler room to warm and warned him that the kiln would mean death.
Brown had been living with his father until a few days ago when he left and had not returned for several nights. The father identified the body a few minutes after it was found as that of his son.
Short funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at the grave in Mt. Lebanon by Rev. Barber of the Pilgrim Holiness Church.
He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alva Brown. Submitted by Tom Agan.

COPE, Elvin, Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1950) Death Notice
Elvin Cope, age 61, died at his home near Elon this morning about 4:30 from a blood clot in the heart. Mr. Cope has been in poor health for some time, but has not been confined to his bed. He is a retired school teacher and farmer. A member of the French Lick Chapter Royal Arch Masons.
He is survived by his wife and five children.
Funeral arrangements could not be learned before going to press. Submitted by Tom Agan.

TAYLOR, Lloyd, Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1950) Death Notice
Lloyd Taylor, 75, was found dead on his kitchen floor Thursday, December 21st by one of his neighbors in the Emmons Ridge neighborhood. It was thought that he was preparing his breakfast as there was meat in the skillet and coffee frozen in the coffee pot.
Mr. Taylor had lived alone since the death of his brother and the last time he was seen was on Saturday night. He hadn't been in very good health for some time.
Rev. Barber conducted the funeral service at the Schmutzler Funeral Home Saturday, followed by burial in the Mt. Lebanon cemetery.
He leaves no immediate family.
A dog and cat was in the house and from all appearance the dog had been sleeping against his body and when the door was opened by a neighbor the dog ran over to meet him. Submitted byTom Agan.

HOWARD, Mary, Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1950) Death Notice
Miss Mary Howard, 69, colored, died Tuesday morning at 9:30 at her home on Wells Ave.
Funeral service will be held in the Schmutzler Funeral Home Friday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock. Burial was made in the Paoli cemetery.
She leaves one brother, Arthur of this city and one sister in Baltimore, Md. Submitted by Tom Agan.

ROBERTS, John C., Springs Valley Herald (January 19, 1922) Death Notice
John C. Roberts, son of George W. and Emma Roberts was born ear Ellsworth, Ind., Nov. 25, 1883. He departed this life Dec. 31, 1921, aged 37 years, 1 month and 6 days. He was united in marriage to Lucy Idella Thompson April 27, 1906. To this union was born four children, Emma Eveleen, Ivan Aaron, Maudie Eston and Georgie Wilmer.
He joined the M. E. Church and was converted at Mt. Lebanon in the year 1907. The deceased lived in this community for a number of years and his life was a testimony of his faith in Christ.
during his last illness he told his friends that his way was clear and if the Lord called him he was ready to go. Although a sufferer for many months he endured his afflictions with great patience. He was a good husband and a kind and loving father. He leaves to mourn his departure the wife, four children, father, mother, one brother and two sisters, Mrs. Anna Parks of Huntingburg, Ind., Mrs. Lillie Speece of Meadowland, Minn. and Roy C. of St. Louis, Mo., and a sister Orlena which preceded him to that heavenly rest 45 years ago, and a lot of other relatives and friends. Submitted byTom Agan.

ALLEN, Nancy, Springs Valley Herald (January 26, 1922) Death Notice
Mrs. Mont Allen died at her home near Sand Hill Friday evening at nine o'clock. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Wilson. Mrs. Allen was raised on a farm near Norton. Most of her married life has been spent on a farm near Washington. They moved here about a year ago thinking her health would be better. She was taken to Washington for burial. Mr. Allen and children have our deepest sympathy. Submitted byTom Agan.

WILSON, Lucinda, Springs Valley Herald (September 14, 1922) Death Notice
Mrs. George Wilson, aged 92, and among the oldest citizens of the county, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Padgett, last Thursday. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church on Friday afternoon conducted by Rev. George Dayrymple, pastor. Submitted byTom Agan.

ROLAND, Sherman, Springs Valley Herald (September 21, 1922) Death Notice
On Saturday night, January 7, 1922 Sheridan Roland shot himself at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Roland near Antioch Church, a few miles northwest of this place. The body was buried at the Antioch cemetery. so that a twin monument could be placed at the grave and that he might be buried beside his brother when he passed away. The parents fearing that Sherman also might commit suicide in that case, decided to bury Sheridan in the home cemetery be the side of his grandfather.
Last Sunday, eight months after the death of his brother, and while the family were all away from the house, Sherman shot himself through the heart. He was about 28 years old.
The funeral and burial was at the Ames Chapel Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Loveall of the Christian Church.
The family decided to take up the body of Sheridan and bury it with that of his brother, and had commenced to excavate the grave when they learned that they would have to have a permit from the State Board of Health, so the idea was abandoned for the time being, but will carried out as soon as permission is obtained which will probably be at once.
The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the stricken parents in their double bereavement. Submitted by Tom Agan.

BOYD, Mary E., Springs Valley Herald (September 21, 1922) Death Notice
Mrs. Claude Boyd, of Stampers Creek, died at a Bedford hospital where she had been operated on for appendicitis, after every known method and treatment had been resorted to save her life. Following the operation for appendicitis her condition from loss of blood made it apparent that unless transfusion of blood was soon resorted to, that the end would soon come. Her brother, Claude McLane, volunteered to sacrifice the necessary blood and it disclosed the fact that his blood when the necessary test was applied, was free from taint or disease and was therefore suitable for transfusion into the patient. In the transfusion he gave a half gallon of his life blood to save the life of Mrs. Boyd with no perceptible unfavorable results, save the naturally weakened condition which follows the loss of this amount of blood. Immediately after the transfusion the patient began to improve rapidly and showed indications of early recovery. Complications, however, arose at this time when the patient was seized with violent hemorrhage, from which she did not survive. The fact that Mr. McLane gave freely of his life blood to save the suffering humanity, is worthy of more than passing notice, and shows a spirit in his make-up that is indeed commendable. Submitted byTom Agan.

SHIPMAN, Etta Blanch, Springs Valley Herald (September 21, 1922) Obituary
Etta Blanch Shipman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wortinger, was born near French Lick, October 3, 1898. She was united in marriage to Louis Shipman, November 26, 1919. To this union was born one daughter, Edith Helen.
Etta was converted at her home and lived a christian life until the end. She departed this life September 16, 1922. Etta was 24 years, 11 months and 13 days old. She leaves a husband, a little 18 month old baby, her mother and father, two sisters, three brothers and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her loss.
She was laid to rest at Mt. Lebanon Sunday.


We wish to thank the people for their kindness shown to us through the sickness and death of our loved one, Etta Blanch Shipman and also the minister and those who furnished cars and also W. V. Ritter. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

McDONALD, James, Springs Valley Herald (September 28, 1922) Death Notice
James McDonald died at his home near Hillham about two o'clock Wednesday morning of cancer of the stomach. Funeral and burial at Mt. Lebanon today.

Springs Valley Herald (October 5, 1922) Obituary
James McDonald, son of Eli H. and Mary Veatch McDonald, was born in Orange County, Indiana in 1848 and died at his home near French Lick, September 27th, 1922 - age 74 years, 4 months and 19 days. As a boy and into his young manhood days he lived and resided with his parents on a farm in Orange County, and later moved with them to Martin County, where he lived until a few years ago. Forty-three years ago he was united in marriage to Claria Horner, who through all these years has been a faithful and devoted wife and mother. To this union was born 13 children, four of whom are dead.
James McDonald was a member of the M. E. Church with his membership at Waggoners Chapel, and was known as a friend to the church and to church workers, and his home for many years being near Waggoners Chapel, was known as a welcome place for preachers. He was devoted to his family, he was an honest and upright man, fair and square in all his dealings, and it can be truthfully said: " A good man is dead," and the community in his death has suffered a loss.
His wife, Clara McDonald and nine children survive him and through his sickness he was kind and patient, but realizing the coming end of life spoke kindly of his wife and children and the faithful care and attention they gave him during his sickness and the hours of sadness and sorrow awaiting his wife, who has always stood by him firm and faithful, never faultering, never failing him during all the years of their lives together. During his sickness he talked with his wife and children about death and told them it was all well with him, that he had no thoughts of worry about his future, and the closing moment came to him as a peaceful dream, he is gone and his family and friends are here today to mourn their loss, and while death is always sad, there is at this time in this death, a secret joy, in the fact that James McDonald lived an honest life and stood firmly for the things that made life better, a home sweeter and children more devoted.
The deceased leave surviving him his wife and nine children: Eli W. of French Lick; James A., Montpellier, Indiana; Elias, Montpellier, Indiana; LaVicia, Shoals, Indian; Theop, New Providence, Iowa; Anna of Montpellier, Indiana; Emma of Canton, Ohio; Wilber of New Providence, Iowa; and John L., youngest son, who resides at home. Also three brothers, David J., Eli and Kinsey, all of French Lick. Submitted byTom Agan.

WILSON, Noah B., Springs Valley Herald (September 28, 1922) Obituary
Noah B. Wilson, son of Argil and Sarah Wilson, was born February 16, 1895 and departed this life September 20, 1922, aged 27 years, 7 months and 4 days.
In the year 1920 he joined the United Brethren Church at French Lick and lived his faith until his death. He became a member of the Modern Woodmen Lodge at West Baden a few years ago, and endeared himself with all the members of the order.
On January 21, 1915 he was united in marriage to Anna Dixon. To this union were born two sons, Earl and Frank. On April 22, 1922 he was again married to Lula Knight, who survives him.
Early in life Noah went forth into the world to master himself and to fill his place in industry. With his courage and ambition her was succeeding nicely in reaching his ideals, when it seems as he was just blooming out into his fullest manhood, only about five months ago, the hand of death began gripping him and all his efforts to overcome it seems useless. Even preparations were made for a trip to the mountains, but the firmness and quickness of the gripping sickness prevented him from making the move. Noah bore his afflictions bravely. His going and coming among his kin and friends was with a smile and good word for all. His thoughts of his family, now and in the future was for their good, and he goes leaving them provided for.
He leaves to mourn his departure a wife and two sons, a father and mother, one sister, one full brother, one half-brother, besides a host of other relatives and friends.
In his last few moments, his last unspoken words, from his expression seemed to be, "Good bye, I am crossing, meet me in the beyond."


We wish to thank the many kind friends and neighbors, also the Modern Woodmen for their help and kindness during the sickness and death of our beloved son and husband. Mrs. Lula Wilson.

Springs Valley Herald (September 28, 1922) West Baden News
Noah Wilson died Sept. 20th at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James W. Wilson. His funeral and interment was on Thursday at Moores Ridge, conducted by the Lodge of Modern Woodmen of this place with Rev. Porter Walls preaching the sermon. Submitted byTom Agan.

WOLFINGTON, Alonzo B., Springs Valley Herald (October 5, 1922) Obituary
Alonzo B. Wolfington, second son of Volney and Rebecca Wolfington, was born March 6th, 1862, passed away September 22nd, 1922, aged 60 years, 6 months and 16 days, at the home of his son-in-law at French Lick, Indiana, about two o'clock p.m.
He was married to Elizabeth Grigsby May 26th, 1887. To this union was born three children, Florence Charles, deceased; Wilbur Wolfington of Flagstaff, Arizona; and John Wolfington of West Baden, Ind.
Lon, as he was always called by his friends and neighbors, was a kind, loving and indulgent husband and father, and when his affliction overtook him, bore his suffering with great patience, never murmuring or complaining.
In the winter of 1921 he joined the Baptist Church at West Baden, Indiana living a consecrated life until death called him to the Great Beyond where suffering is never known.
He leaves a wife, two sons, six grandchildren and a host of friends and neighbors to mourn his death. But our loss is his eternal gain. On Wednesday afternoon he asked his wife, who was constantly by his side, if she could hear that sweet music.
Funeral services, conducted by Rev. Lovell of the Christian Church, occurred at the residence of his son-in-law, Joseph Charles, French Lick, Ind. about one o'clock Saturday afternoon after which the remains were taken to Ames Chapel cemetery for burial.


We wish to thank the friends and neighbors who so kindly helped and sympathized with us in caring for our dear husband and father and grandfather, Alonzo B. Wolfington, the Rev. Lovell, for his tender message, members of the Christian Church for their singing and music, Mr. Ritter for the manner in which he conducted the services and Dr. Ryan for his kindness shown during the illness and death of him we loved, also for the friends for the beautiful floral offerings. Mrs. Alonzo B. Wolfington, Mr. and Mrs. John Wolfington, Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Wolfington, Joseph Charles and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

KEY, Birdie, Springs Valley Herald (October 12, 1922) Obituary
Birdie Land, daughter of John and Lettie Land, was born at Marengo, Crawford County, Indiana on June 29, 1883, departed this life October 2, 1922, age 39 years, 3 months and 3 days.
She was united in marriage to William Key of French Lick, Indiana on June 30, 1902. To this union was born three children, two of which preceded the mother. Coena, the youngest, survives her mother.
Mrs. Key was a member of the Marengo Christian Church of which she was a faithful member. She spent most of her younger days at Marengo.
Mrs. Key leaves a husband, William Key, daughter, Coena, 2 sisters, Mrs. Josephine Herdenreich and Mrs. Myrtle Veach, one uncle, Sand Land, and a host of friends to mourn her loss.
Funeral services were conducted by Eld. J. P. Davis of French Lick, Indiana. Submitted by Tom Agan.

GOSS, William L., Springs Valley Herald (October 19, 1922) Obituary
William L. Goss was born in Floyd County, Indiana on December 15, 1845. Later removed with his parents to Dubois County, Indiana. When the civil war broke out he joined the colors and served with Company K, 65 th Indiana Infantry for three years.
He was married to Mary A. Stine march 4th, 1869. To this union were born nine children, 3 sons and 6 daughters, two of the sons and three daughters preceded him to the "great beyond."
William L. Goss joined the M. E. Church in early boyhood and he lived a consistent and faithful member until called to his reward.
He peacefully passed out of this life into the immortality promised to the faithful followers of Christ on Friday, October 13, 1922, aged 76 years, 9 months and 28 days.
He leaves to mourn his departure a wife, one son and three daughters and a host of friends and relatives. Submitted by Tom Agan.

ROBERTS, Frank, Springs Valley Herald (October 19, 1922) Death Notice
Frank Roberts left West Baden about one week ago for Hot Springs, Ark., where he went in hope of benefiting his health, which had not been good for some time. A message was received by the family early Sunday night that he was in a very serious condition. His mother left that night for his bedside. Monday morning a message was received stating that he had died at an early hour that morning. His mother arrived several hours after his death.

Springs Valley Herald (October 19, 1922) Local Brevities
The funeral of Frank Roberts will be at Ames Chapel Friday at 2:00 p.m. and will be conducted by the Masons of which order he was a member. All members of French Lick Lodge 586 are requested to be at the lodge hall at 8:00 p.m. tonight to complete arrangements.

Springs Valley Herald (October 26, 1922) West Baden News
The mortal remains of Frank Roberts, who died at Hot Springs, Arkansas on Monday of last week, arrived at West Baden on Thursday morning and were laid to rest in the beautiful silent city of the dead at Ames Chapel Friday afternoon. The funeral took place from the family residence, services at the home being conducted by Revs. A. T. Slaughter, pastor of the Baptist Church, and W. L. Mitchell, pastor of the M. E. Church. Rev. Slaughter delivering a discourse that was profound with helpful spiritual thought. The deceased was a member of the French Lick Lodge, No. 586, Free and Accepted Masons, whose impressive service was rendered at the cemetery by George W. Atkins, Past Master of the lodge. A father and mother, wife and four year old son and two sisters sadly mourned the loss of a son, husband, father and brother, and to whom the sympathies of the entire community go out in their hour of affliction. "While we drop the sympathetic tear over the grave of our deceased friend, let charity incline us to throw a veil over his foibles, whatever they may have been, and not withhold from his memory the praise which his virtues may have claimed.

Springs Valley Herald (November 2, 1922) Obituary
Frank Blice Roberts was born in Fredericksburg, Indiana on July 13, 1893 and died October 22, 1922.
To us who were wont to see Frank come and go in an out among us, he was still a boy, generous, lovable, kind, fun-loving as when we first recall him a bonnie boy of baby years. He was friend to everybody and everybody was Frank's friend.
He grew up in West Baden, Indiana. In his early manhood he was married to Hazel C. Denbo who survives him, together with one little son, Frank Junior, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Roberts and two sisters, Hazel and Kathleen Roberts, all of West Baden.
Frank had for two years been proprietor of the New Home Laundry and he continued to work within a week of his demise. He left this tribute to those who worked for and with him, "No man could have a more loyal and sympathetic working force than I have had."
His decline was gradual but the stealthy poison of Diabetes was there and like a thief in the night was gradually sapping his life strength until it became apparent to himself eve, that something radical must be done and he went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, hoping to be rehabilitated, but it was not to be. He died in a few hours after arriving there.
Upon leaving his home and loved ones he expressed a thought that he might not love to come back, but e said, "if I do not live to return to you all remember I am satisfied for I feel that I have made good."
Our hearts are saddened for these dear ones, but cannot we put the arm of love around the life of dear little son who is never to remember the father and in our love for Frank minister as to him? Cannot we realize how Frank would have us love his baby, and in our sympathy and love for his wife and mother do this as unto him? Into the heart of his own dear mother pour a balm of love and sympathy as for our own?
This has gone on to the Father who gave. Cannot we trust, even where we cannot see, the guiding hand of the Father who said, "Not a sparrow falleth without the Father's Knowledge" and "the hairs of our head are numbered."
shall not we put our hand in the Father's hand, through Jesus the Son, and say "though it be hard, we will thrust thee, Father, and Thy will be done."


We wish to thank our many friends for their kindness and sympathy shown us during our recent sorrow.
Especially do we thank Mr. W. O. Ritter, also Rev. Slaughter and Mitchell for their consoling words. Mrs. Hazel C. Roberts and Son, Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Roberts, Hazel and Kathleen Roberts. Submitted byTom Agan.

ELROD, Jane, Springs Valley Herald (October 26, 1922) Death Notice
Mrs. Jane Elrod, of near Old Union church, a widow, 76 years of age, died at her home last Saturday and was buried at Old Union Sunday afternoon. She was the daughter of the late Joseph Rhodes, who left this county for California during the early gold season there, about 1846 and died there. Mrs. Elrod was a niece of Andrew J. Rhodes, always known here as Uncle Jack Rhodes, who died in 1907. Several relatives and friends of the deceased woman attended the funeral from Paoli. Submitted byTom Agan.

CLAXTON, Rosanna, Springs Valley Herald (November 2, 1922) Death Notice
After a long illness Mrs. Rosanna Claxton peacefully passed away at her home on Walnut Street early Tuesday morning. He husband, Thomas Claxton, died many years ago. She was a quiet, unassuming Christian woman whose kindly smile and friendly spirit made everyone love and respect her. She leaves three sons and a daughter to mourn the loss of mother: R. V. Claxton and C. O. Claxton of French Lick, Mrs. J. B. Freeman of Shoals, and James Claxton of Dayton, Ohio.
The funeral and burial was at Mt. Gilead Wednesday afternoon.

Springs Valley Herald (November 2, 1922) Obituary
Near Paoli, Indiana, March 5, 1844 Rosanna Wells was born to Stephen and Sara Wells. She grew to young womanhood in this neighborhood, and at the age of 21 years was married to Thomas V. Claxton. To this union were born four sons and three daughters. Most of her life was spent on a farm near her birth place, but after the death of her husband in 1901 she moved to French Lick where she resided until October 31, 1922.
At the age of thirteen years she was converted and joined the United Brethren Church and continued in that faith to the end of time.
Her life was one of devotion and service in the home and in the church. She served the church in every capacity, as leader in class meetings, prayer meetings and Sunday School Supt., as was always ready to pray for the salvation of unsaved souls and witness to the saving power of the Lord Jesus Christ. She was wonderfully gifted in prayer and during the revival meetings she was sent for from many places to come and help pray down the power of the Holy Spirit. She readily responded to these calls, often going many miles from her home to do service for the Master.
In the home life she was a true mother, always kind and gentle in disposition, having a pleasant look and kind word for everyone. During her recent illness her mother love was ever going out after her children, always wanting them near her.
She talked much about her homegoing, repeating much scripture and many verse of son, and giving full evidence of her readiness and desire to be at rest.
While her soul has passed into the fuller life, her works will follow here and continue to add lister to her blessed memory. It was given to her to wear while here a halo of spiritual charm and religious inspiration that were evidence in any company where she was found.
Doubtless the halo she is yet to wear in the memory of those who knew and loved her will be an increasing and compelling radiance that will beckon many souls upward and onward.
There were many sorrows and griefs in her life. There were times when there were spiritual lessons hard to be comprehended, bit through suffering she learned obedience. Through this she taught others the way of the Christian's warfare and steadily climbed the ladder of Christian perfection and maturity. As the joy came at the end of each trial the beauties of God's all sufficient grace were revealed. She rarely talked of the hard places, but looked for the bright side of her experiences, this bringing joy instead of sadness to those with whom she mingled. Her heart always had a melody in it to cheer and brighten other lives.
We may give floral tributes, but the greatest tributes are those that are in the hearts of those who knew and loved her, and the greatest monument is the work she did for the Master, which shall live beyond time.
Sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust, by her fortitude of faith, she was a living example of what God's grace can do for one who is fully yielded to Him. Could she have spoken as she was nearing the life more abundant, we believe, she would have said: "Splendid to be so near the gates of Heaven, and so beautiful to go." Mrs. R. V. Claxton. Submitted byTom Agan.

POPE, Peter, Springs Valley Herald (November 9, 1922) Death Notice
Peter Pope, an Old Civil War Veteran, who has been very feeble and afflicted for several years passed away at his home in Abydel Wednesday. He was the father of Sheriff George Pope and Frank Pope of West Baden. The funeral was this afternoon at Ames Chapel.

Springs Valley Herald (November 30, 1922) Obituary
Peter Pope was born in Louisville, Ky. January 14th, 1842, departed this life November 8th, 1922 at the age of 80 years, 9 months and 25 days. In 1861 he enlisted in the Army, being a member of Company A, 23rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry of Veteran Volunteers. He was mustered out on July 23rd, 1865, having served his country a period of four years and 13 days.
He was married October 30th, 1879 to Malinda J. Ray to which union eight children were born, two of whom have preceded him in death, a son and daughter.
In November 1915, the deceased as stricken with paralysis from which time he was a patient sufferer up to the time of his death. During the seven years of his illness, he was ever patient, and cheerful, never complaining of his misfortune, always having a smile and a kind word for his neighbors, friends and family, who tried to do everything within their power for his comfort.
He was a member of the Ames M. E. Church and also of Basil B. Decker Post.
Surviving him are his widow, three daughters, three sons, five grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends who will sadly miss him. Submitted byTom Agan.

WELLS, Alexander, Springs Valley Herald (November 9, 1922) Death Notice
The body of Alexander Wells, who died at Fairland, Indiana, arrived here Saturday evening and was taken to the home of his son, B. O. Wells on Maple Street. The funeral was held Sunday followed by burial in the family cemetery near Fargo. Submitted byTom Agan.

HOOTEN, Flossie, Springs Valley Herald (November 16, 1922) Death Notice
Miss Flossie Hooten, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Hooten, was found dead in her room in Detroit, Michigan where she has been employed as clerk in a department store for some time. We did not learn the cause of her death. The body arrived here Tuesday at one o'clock and burial took place at Mt. Lebanon cemetery Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.

Springs Valley Herald (November 23, 1922) Obituary
Flossie May Hooten, daughter of William and Stella Hooten, was born in Martin County, Indiana, january 9th, 1898, died in Detroit, Michigan, November 8th, 1922, aged 24 years, 9 months and 29 days. She was the second oldest of eleven children, four boys and seven girls.
Flossie, in the bloom of womanhood, is the first of this large family to go. She leaves a father, mother, four brothers, six sisters and other relatives and friends to mourn her going. She became a christian when about sixteen years of age at a revival meeting at No. Five School House, joined the Christian Church and was baptized.
In a large family like this the children, many times, have to leave home early in life, thrown on their own resources for existence, so it was with Flossie who began working away from home early in life, taking her chances in a cold world amid the pitfalls and snares of sin. Flossie worked here and there, bravely wrestling a living from the world until death overtook her away from the home with no mother nor loved ones to smooth her dying pillow.
The profuse floral tributes testified of the love of her many friends in Detroit. the body was brought home, and after a night in the home of her parents was taken to Mt. Lebanon Church, funeral services were conducted by Rev. S. P. Walls and the body laid away in the nearby cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

LINDLEY, Elmira, Springs Valley Herald (November 23, 1922) Death Notice
Mrs. Elmira Lindley, widow of the late Elwood Lindley, who was reported last week as being in a serious condition as a result of an accident died on Thursday morning at the home of her son-in-law, Dr. George M. Wells, in Indianapolis. The body was brought to Old Union for burial on Friday and funeral services were held there Friday afternoon, conducted by the local pastor. A number of out of town relatives were in attendance and several people from Paoli attended, including relatives and friends of the deceased. Mrs. Lindley is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Fred McLane, of near Orleans and Mrs. Dr. George M. Wells of Indianapolis and by two sons, Alvis Lindley of near Orleans and Charles Lindley of Hendrix County.

Article Mentioned Above
Springs Valley Herald (November 16, 1922)
Mrs. Elmira Lindley, widow of the late Elwood Lindley, met with a very serious accident a few days ago at the home of her son-in-law, Dr. George M. Wells, at Indianapolis which resulted in a broken hip. On account of her advanced age and feeble condition, it is feared she can not recover. Mrs. Lindley is a very estimable lady who has lived nearly all her life in this county and her friends and relatives here are sorry to hear of her misfortune. Submitted byTom Agan.

CASSIDY, Charles, Springs Valley Herald (November 30, 1922) Death Notice
Charles Cassidy, the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. James Cassidy died at the Fitzsimmons General Hospital, Denver, Colorado, last Saturday and the body was shipped here for burial arriving here Wednesday. Charlie had been afflicted with that dread disease, tuberculosis for several years and had been in Colorado for a year or so hoping that the climate would bring him back to health. He formerly was a telephone employee here and later at Mitchell, Indiana.

Springs Valley Herald (November 30, 1922) Obituary
Charles Cassidy, son of James and Eliza Cassidy departed this life on Saturday, November 25, 1922 at the Fitzsimmons General Hospital, Denver, Colorado, where he had been a patient since October 21, 1921. He was born near French Lick September 25, 1878, attended the Red Quarry and French Lick schools, and taught a number of schools in French Lick Township. Later on he moved to Mitchell, then to Indianapolis being engaged in many positions of great responsibility. During the winter preceding the declaration of War against Germany he contracted pneumonia fever from which he did not recover for many months. Before he was very strong, he went to Washington, DC with the intention of entering the military service, but his physical condition was such as to preclude being accepted in the service. He was appointed to a civil position in the War Department and assigned to the Office of the Adjustant General of the Army, remaining in this capacity until his death though not on active duty for the past year.
On entering the War Department he was placed in charge of the Mail and Records Section of the Office of the Adjustant General, being Chief of the Night force until June 1919 when he was placed in charge of the mail and Records Section of the World War Record Division. His unselfish devotion to his duty and unselfish efforts in carrying out work far above his strict official duty, cost him his life, and he is as much a victim of the World War as if he had been killed on the battlefield. During the World War when there was dread and grief in thousands of families over the country whose loved ones were in our far flung battles lines, he remained on duty fourteen, sixteen and eighteen hours a day, seven days in the week without proper rest or recreation, using every effort to get out information to every part of the country news of their loved ones. All too often the news was sad. This work did not relax with the end of the War, but as the maimed and sick returned to this country the work increased in volume, all the data necessary for relief of the unfortunate victims of the war came through his section, and with the same unselfish regard for what he saw as his duty he worked continuously from fourteen to eighteen hours per day. Four years of untiring work and unselfish devotion to the work in hand so lowered his vitality that in 1921 he fell a victim to the dreaded tuberculosis, which resulted in his death on November 25.
He was an active worker in the Masonic fraternity, being raised to the sublime degree of a master mason in May, 1919 in Osiris Lodge No. 26, was a 32 degree Scottish Rites mason of the Albert Pike Consistory and also a Noble of the Olmas Temple, Mystic Shrine, all of Washington, DC. To him the great teachings of the fraternity were precepts for his guidance, and the unselfish effort on his part to serve the families and victims of the World War exemplifies a striking comparison to the fidelity and faithfulness to his trust of the MASTER who every man who has trod the mystic paths of masonry, is taught to emulate as the highest duty to God and to man.
In the prime of his life, with a record of unselfishness and fidelity to his trust which may well be emulated as one of the greatest teachings of Jesus Christ, he was called on to lay aside the working tools of life to appear before his Master, leaving his Father, Mother, brothers and sisters, his fraternal brethren, relatives and a host of friends to mourn his loss. His memory is enshrined in their hearts and his soul with God whose will is thus accomplished. Submitted byTom Agan.

PIERSON, Bloomer, Springs Valley Herald (November 30, 1922) Death Notice
Sheriff George Pope received information from the Chief of Police of Shawneetown, Ill. Saturday stating that Bloomer Pierson had been shot and had died from the effects of the shot. Further details were lacking. Pierson is the oldest son of George Pierson, who resides here. He and his family had resided on a house boat at Shawneetown on the Ohio River for two or three years and was a man of large family. John Dewhurst, his brother-in-law, left here Sunday for Shawneetown. Submitted byTom Agan.

ALLEN, Hazel, Springs Valley Herald (November 30, 1922) Death Notice
The cold hand of death charmed our friend and neighbor, Mrs. Hazel Allen Monday morning. By her intense suffering she was anxious for the time to come for her to bid adieu to this world, but was sorry she had to leave her baby and husband that composed her immediate family. She is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ollie Gillum and has always been a well respected girl. We extend sympathy to the entire family. The funeral was held Tuesday p.m. by Rev. Porter Walls of French Lick. Submitted byTom Agan.

WALLS, Isaac, Springs Valley Herald (December 7, 1922) Death Notice
Isaac Walls, a well respected citizen of this community (Paoli) died at the County Infirmary last Friday of an illness of only short duration. He became indisposed and his wife being a helpless invalid and no relatives here to care for them, they were removed to the County Infirmary last Friday for care and attention, and late that same day he died. The burial occurred in the Paoli Cemetery Sunday. Two of his nephews, who reside at Logansport, Ind., attended the funeral and purpose to take the widow back to Logansport with them and see that she gets the necessary care and comfort. Submitted byTom Agan.

MAYO, Christopher, Springs Valley Herald (December 14, 1922) Death Notice
Christopher Mayo, aged 61 years, died while at work as a night engineer at the No. 7 Spring Pavilion, West Baden, Monday night from heart failure. He was supposed to turn a switch at ten o'clock. This had probably been the last act of his life as he was found lying by the lever as if he had fallen when he turned on the switch. He was buried at Mt. Lebanon Wednesday afternoon. He resided in this city and leaves a wife and three children. He had been afflicted with diabetes and leakage of the heart for some time and for the past few weeks much worse than usual.

Springs Valley Herald (December 14, 1922) West Baden News
Chris Mayo, night engineer at the No. 7 Spring Pavilion was found by Felix Atkinson, night watchman at the bowling alley building, about midnight last Monday lying dead near an electric switch which he had been opening at 10 o'clock regularly every night. It is supposed that he was stricken with heart failure at that hour. He had not been in good health for some time. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn the lass of a kind and loving husband and father.

Springs Valley Herald (December 21, 1922)
We wish to thank our friends and relatives for their kindness and sympathy to us at the death of our father and husband, who passed away Dec. 12th. Especially do we thank Mr. Ritter, the undertaker for his kind service, Brother Walls for his consoling words. Also we thank the friends for the floral offerings. Mrs. C. C. Mayo and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

GASS, John R., Springs Valley Herald (December 14, 1922) Death Notice
The citizens of Hammon and vicinity were saddened Tuesday evening when they learned, while not unexpectedly, of the death of a friend and neighbor, John R. Gass, at a hospital in Clinton, where he was taken about one week before for treatment in the hope that he would be allowed to remain on this earth.
Mr. Gass had been suffering for a number of years with what was thought might be a cancer of the stomach and had had severe attacks of trouble at intervals. He was taken to the Clinton Hospital on Wednesday of last week, but all surgical aid possible could not ward of the Angel of death longer. He passed away at about six o'clock on Tuesday afternoon of this week.
Mr. Gass was born in Orange County, Indiana, November 4, 1867 where he lived until coming to Oklahoma fifteen years ago when he settled near Hammon and had since been one of our most prominent citizens. He was a member of the Odd Fellow Fraternity and an active member of the Christian Church.
J. R. Gass is survived by his widow and seven children, all of whom, excepting Rolly Gass of Great Divide, Colorado, were at his bedside when death came. The other children are: Mesdame A. E, Creach, W. M. Lawson, and Ray Curtis, of Hammon, Pearl Green of Elk City and Mary Haddock of Lahoma, Oklahoma, and Desco Gass, the only son remaining at home.
The body was brought from Clinton on Wednesday and funeral services will be held at the Methodist Church Sunday afternoon. The body has been held awaiting the arrival of Rolly Gass from Colorado. Mrs. W. S. Flick. Submitted byTom Agan.

WELLS, Nathan and Margaret E., Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1922) Paoli News
Uncle Nathan Wells, the oldest citizen of Paoli, after a lingering illness of several years, died at his home here last Saturday morning and his aged wife, who has been ill a long time also died in the evening of the same day. Mr. Wells was 92 years of age and his wife was above 80 [87] . Mrs. Wells was buried at Saltillo on Sunday where some of her relatives are laid to rest, and Uncle Nathan was buried at Mt. Gillead on Tuesday afternoon. He is survived by one daughter and three sons, Dr. George M. Wells of Indianapolis, Alvis Wells of Paoli, and Orange Wells of Paoli Township.

Springs Valley Herald (December 28, 1922) Death Notice
Two aged persons, husband and wife, both highly respected citizens of Paoli, passed away at their home on East Third Street last Saturday only seven years apart. Nathan Wells quietly passed to his reward at 11 o'clock a.m. to be followed by his wife at 6 o'clock in the evening. Mr. Wells lacked a few months of 93 years of age and his wife was about 86. "Uncle Nath". as he was familiarly called, was the oldest citizen of Paoli and had always lived in this vicinity, where he was recognized as a man of strictest integrity and numbered his friends by all who knew him. Mrs. Wells was a second wife and was buried at Saltillo, her old home, Monday afternoon. The funeral services of Uncle Nath were held at Mt. Gilead, north of town, where he worshiped for many years on Tuesday afternoon. Rev. George Dalrymple, pastor of Paoli M. E. Church, officiating. Submitted byTom Agan.