Orange County Obituaries


MORRIS, Jesse, Springs Valley Herald (June 12, 1913) Obituary
Jesse Morris was born Sept. 24th, 1848. Died may 28th, 1913. Aged 63 years, 8 months and 4 days. He was united in the holy bonds of wedlock to Margaret Gilliat, April 25, 1870. To this union was born ten children, three died in infancy, leaving seven children, four sons and three daughters. William, Harvey, Charles, Everett, Mrs. Sam Roberts, of Oolitic, Mrs. Robert Cox and Mrs. Irvin Flick, both of French Lick. James Morris is the only brother and the only surviving member of their family. Mr. Morris also leaves 13 grandchildren. His first wife died June 20, 1910 and he was again married to Margaret Adamson, Feb 20, 1912, who with his children and grandchildren and brother are left to mourn theer loss.
It can truthfully be said of Mr. Morris that he was an ideal man in every respect, having always been a hard working man as long as health would permit.He was a most living , kind and affectionate husband. His first wife having been an invalid for a long time before her death. He was faithful to supply her every comfort that his means would allow him to. While his second marriage was of short duration it was one of peace and live. As a father he was kind and affectionate, putting forth every effort to rear his children in the right way. he alway lived in peace among his neighbors and was held in the highest esteem by them as was attested by the way they administered to his wants and by the large concourse of friends and neighbors who attended his funeral.
He had been for several years a most consistent member of Patoka Church of Primative Baptist and was one of those who odoned (sic) his profession by a well ordered walk and a Godly conversation one to whom a profession of religion meant a great deal, simply and unpretentious in his way, yet true and faithful to his master. While it is hard to give up one so true and good yet it is Gods will we had to obey but he did so in perfect admission, after asking his sorrowing wife and children no to weep for him as he was only going home to be at rest and all was right between him and his God. Just before he died he said he could see the angels ready to convey his spirit to those mansions bright and fair and this closed the beautiful life of one of God's children. While we miss him the blow is a heavy one to his wife and children, yet he is better off at home with his Saviour that we should want to call him back.
Funeral services were conducted by his pastor, Eld. Geo. W. Atkins at the church of his membership in the presence of a bereaved family and a large congregation of sorrowing friends after which the remains were laid to rest. His last resting place being literally covered with flowers an attestation of the high esteem in which he was held. Let is ask the bereaved one think not of him as dead, but as gone on before and that he is now alive for evermore and may God prepare us all so that our last moments on earth may be like his and that we may die as he did in the triumph of a living faith. Submitted by Tom Agan.

CLAPP, Solomon, Springs Valley Herald (July 17, 1913) Obituary
Solomon Clapp, an old and highly respected citizen of Columbia Township, Dubois County, died at his home at Hillham, Tuesday (July 15, 1913) and was buried at Mt. Lebanon Wednesday. He had been a sufferer from stomach trouble for several years and which resulted in his death. He was prominent in business and church circles and will be greatly missed in his community. Submitted byTom Agan.

COMINGORE, Laban and Stella, Springs Valley Herald (July 31, 1913) Obituary - Double Funeral
The funeral of Leban Comingore and his wife, Stella, was held at the home of Samuel H. Braxtan Sunday afternoon. Mr. Comingore's death was due to an accident while he was at work in a machine shop in Chicago. He had repaired a crane used in lifting heavy iron and had sent for an inspector to inspect the repairs before putting it in use. The inspector in testing the repaired machine pulled the wrong lever which three Mr. Comingore off and he fell about forty feet into a pile of scrap iron. He never regained consciousness and died about three hours after receiving the injury.
Mr. Comingore's death occurred on Saturday, July 19th. At that time his wife and three children were in Missouri where they had been visiting relatives. She was notified and rushed to Chicago as soon as she could get there arriving on Tuesday. Mr. Comingore's body was brought here Wednesday for burial and it was intended to have the funeral Friday morning. Word reached here Friday morning the Mrs. Comingore had died Thursday (July 24, 1913) night. She had been in very poor health for a long time and the shock proved too great and hastened the end. The remains were brought here Saturday morning and both funerals held at the same time. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Brown, pastor of the Friends Church.
They leave surviving three small children, aged respectively nine, six and two years old. The youngest is now in the home of George Padgett, of Kokomo, a brother of Mrs. Comingore, and the six year old child is in the home of Mrs. George Lindley of French Lick, a sister, while the oldest is at the home of Mrs. S. H. Braxtan.
The sudden deaths of the father and mother was a very severe shock to the relatives of the family and it was a very sad funeral. They have the sympathy of the entire community. - Paoli News. Submitted byTom Agan.

FAUCETT, Eli, Springs Valley Herald (August 14, 1913) Obituary
Eli Faucett, an old soldier and citizen of this country died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George Pruett, in this city, last Saturday (August 9, 1913), of old age and disability. He was a member of the Bazil B. Decker Post G. A. R. The funeral occurred Sunday at Faucett's Chapel, the G. A. R. having charge of the burial ceremonies. many from this place attended the funeral.


At a meeting of the Bazil B. Decker Post, G. A. R. on the 9th day of August last, the following resolution was adopted and ordered to be published.

Whereas: our esteemed friend and former Comrade-in-arms, Eli Faucett has joined the innumeral host, in that country from whence no traveller ever returns, and

Whereas: as the fully ripened ear falls back to earth, our comrade, full of years and a ling record of goodness asleep, be it

Resolved: that we as a Post would publicly express the high esteem in which Comrade Faucett has long been held by us and that we sincerely deplore his death, but would find consolation in the fact that in his demise, he showed forth another triumph of a living faith.

Resolved: that we extend to the family and friends of the deceased our sympathy, and urge our Comrades, who possibly can, consistant with their infirmaties and circumstances, to attend the funeral of Comrade Faucett, and thus pay our last tribute or respect to his memory. Committee: Jonathan P. Rominger, Aaron Anderson, Nathan P. Gilliatt. Submitted byTom Agan.

CHANCE, Anthony S., Springs Valley Herald (October 16, 1913) Obituary
Anthony S. Chance was bon in Lee County, Ky. in 1838. Elisted in the Army at the age of 23 on Sept. 2, 1861. He served throughout the was ans was a member of Bazil B. Decker Post, No. 334 G. A. R.
Died Sept 8, 1913, leaving a widow and three children. Submitted by Tom Agan.

FREEMAN, Eliza Ann, Springs Valley Herald (January 2, 1930) News Article
Mrs. Eliza Ann Freeman, 87 years old, died Monday (December 30, 1929) at 2 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Wilson, near Roland. Funeral services were held at the Christian Church Wednesday at 1 o'clock with interment in Scarlet Ridge.
She was the mother of nine children, all of whom are living except one which died in infancy. The following children survive her: Lee and John of French Lick, Charles of Shoals, William of Indianapolis, Mrs. Mattie Whittinghill of Birdseye, Mrs. Lillie Emmons of Shoals, Mrs. Icely Wilson of West Baden and Mrs. Ella Lynch of Shoals.

Springs Valley Herald (January 9, 1930) Obituary
Eliza Ann Johnson Freeman, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Johnson was born September 18, 1842 and died December 30th, 1929. Aged 87 years, 3 months and 12 days.
She was united in marriage to Willis M. Freeman, February 7th, 1861. To this union was born nine children, one of whom died in infancy. She is survived by the following children: Lee Freeman of French Lick, Mattie Whittinghill of Birdseye, John of French Lick, Lilly Emmons of Shoals, Icely Wilson of West Baden, Charley of Shoals, Ella Lynch of Shoals, Will of Indianapolis, also 54 grandchildren and a host of great grandchildren. Her companion preceded her four years ago.
She was united with the Christian church at old Carter Creek in Orange County at the age of 17 and has lived a consistent christian life, always ready with a kind word and a helping hand and will be sadly missed by all who knew her. Submitted byTom Agan.

HENSON. Samuel C., Springs Valley Herald (January 23, 1930) Obituary
Samuel C. Henson, son of Jesse and Jemima Henson was born near French Lick, Indiana, September 30, 1850, and departed this life near West Baden, Indiana January 16, 1930, with nearly four score years allotted to him. He grew to manhood in the vicinity where he was born and practically all his life has lived within a radius of a few miles.
On November 10, 1884 he was married to Matilda F. Kirkland and immediately thereafter established a home in West Baden where they lived for a short while until he began farming as his vocation. To brighten the lives of this household twin sons were born, George and Azor. The attachment of the members of this family was unusually strong which was broken first by the passing from this life of Azor, August 8th, 1911, when the sons had just attained their twenty-fifth birthday. The cloud of this bereavement was never lifted from the hearts of the parents and the brother and with a constant sense of this loss the mother remained until November 29, 1928, when she was called to her eternal home. The loss of this companion was severely felt by him and added to declining health of recent years, brought much suffering to him.
In his youth and early manhood he was noted for his great physical strength and there were few men in his community that could endure more in manual labor than he. Industry was a marked characteristic of him and even in recent months when his body was too frail to respond, he would insist on trying to do his share of the work about the farm. Beneath his rugged breast there was a heart of sympathy for those in distress and some are left behind that are willing to praise him for his ministrations in the sick room. He was a kind husband and father, a good neighbor and friend.
Beside the son, George, he leaves an aged sister, Mrs. Sarah Grigsby of Kakima, Washington and many relatives and friends, who will mourn his passing.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. C. Montgomery at Ames Chapel Saturday afternoon after which burial too place in the Ames Chapel cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

LINDLEY, Layne, Springs Valley Herald (February 6, 1930) News Article
Layne Lindley, 19 years of age, son of Sheriff and Mrs. Paul Lindley of Paoli, was instantly killed last Friday (January 31, 1930) night when the car which he was driving skidded and overturned on a curve two miles north of Haysville. Robert Braxtan, a Paoli boy, companion of Lindley, received only slight injuries.
The two boys were returning from a basketball game at jasper when the accident occurred. According to reports Lindley was traveling at a too high rate of speed to make the curve, hitting a bank on the right side of the road, and overturning four times on the concrete.
Lindley was home from Depauw University, spending the semester holidays with his parents at Paoli. He was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity at the University. Young Lindley was a member of the Paoli high school team for three years, being captain of the squad last year. He was well-known to many in the Valley, having many friends here.
Funeral services were held Monday afternoon from the Friends church at Paoli, followed by interment in the Community cemetery.
Besides his parents, young Lindley is survived by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Lashbrook, and other relatives. Submitted byTom Agan.

LINE, Jennie Wininger, Springs Valley Herald (February 6, 1930) News Article
Jennie Wininger Line, age 80 years, well known former citizen of French Lick, died at the Methodist Memorial Home for the Aged at Warren, Indiana, January 17, according to announcement received from the Home.
She leaves to mourn her loss Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kellams and son Franklin of Williams, Ariz.; Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Ames, Mrs. J. A. Morley and J. B. Kellams, all of Chicago, Ill., and Mrs. Henry Wininger of Scarlet Ridge.
Funeral services for Mrs. Line were held January 21 at Warren, Indiana.
Submitted by Tom Agan.

HOLLAND, Alonzo, Springs Valley Herald (February 6, 1930) News Article
Alonzo Holland, for many years a resident of French Lick, died Monday night (February 3, 1930) at his home in the Bellevue addition. Death was caused by a chronic stomach ailment.
Funeral services were held Wednesday afternnon at Ames Chapel, conducted by Rev. George Atkins, followed by interment in the adjoining cemetery.

Springs Valley Herald (February 13, 1930) Obituary
Emory Alonzo Holland was born in Crawford County, Indiana on November 7, 1875, and died at his home in French Lick, Indiana, on Monday February 3, 1930, aged 54 years, 2 months and 27 days.
His father was John D. Holland, a native of Tennessee and his mother was America (Courtney) Holland, born in Kentucky.
He was married December 7, 1905, to Nancy Land, of Crawford County, Indiana and the widow with their three sons, William Albert Holland, Clarence Arvin Holland and Basil Arcus Holland, survive him. There are also six grandchildren.
One brother, William Holland, of Chicago, Illinois, is the only remaining member of the family of John D. and America Holland. Two brothers and five sisters have preceded Alonzo in death.
A quiet, honest, hardworking man; a good neighbor; an indulgent father and kind husband, Lon has departed this life leaving the world better for his having lived in it.


We wish to thank the neighbors and friends for the aid and kindness though the illness and death of our husband and father, Alonzo Holland. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

SMITH, Thomas Franklin, Springs Valley Herald (February 13, 1930) News Article
Frank Smith, 68 years old, was fatally injured Tuesday (Feb. 11, 1930) afternoon when a log he was pulling through the Pinnick wood, about three miles northeast of West Baden, rolled over him, crushing his chest.
Mr. Smith had a team of horses pulling the log, and in some way he stumbled, entangling himself in underbrush. The horses kept going and fragged the log over him. Fellow workers rushed him at once to the home of a neighbor, where first aid was administered by doctors Miller and Boyd. He died one hour later.
Mr. Smith was removed to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Wells of West Baden, who are near relatives.
Funeral services, conducted by Rev. A. L. Hacker and E. C. Montgomery, were held this afternoon at 2:30 from the home, followed by interment in the Ames Chapel cemetery.
Mr. Smith is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters, and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Gilliam and Mrs. Sarah Ellen North of French Lick.

Springs Valley Herald (February 20, 1930) Obituary
Thomas Franklin Smith, won of Levi and Nancy Jane Smith was born near Greenbriar February 22, 1862 and departed this life February 11, 1930. Age 67 years, 11 months and 11 days.
He was married to Alice Willyard, March 5, 1889. four children were born to this union: Lois E. and Walter W. of Memphis Tennessee and Thelma L. and Raul R. of Terre Haute, Indiana.
In early manhood he engaged in lumbering on the Patoka vicinity. later he moved to Terre Haute where he was engaged in the grocery and commission business and where his children were reared and educated. He returned to West Baden where he lived for the past 18 years and farmed the George Willyard farm, located 1 1/4 mile east of town.
He was reared in the atmosphere of a christian home and later became affiliated with the Christian church. To those who knew him best he was a straight forward, honest, upright man, loyal to a degree not often found. In his home life as the years went by, his patience, love and devotion to his family were constantly proved.
While seeming to be such an untimely ending of this mortal life, his span of life had left an indelible print on the sands of time.


The family of Thomas Franklin Smith wishes to express their heartfelt thanks to the numerous friends and neighbors who so kindly aided and comforted them in their sad loss of husband and father. Submitted byTom Agan.

WOOD, Calvin Lee, Springs Valley Herald (February 20, 1930) Obituary
Calvin Lee Wood, son of Martin A. and Sarah Wood, was born in Orange County, Indiana August 17th, 1848. Calvin Lee was the oldest of a family of five children. Father, mother, three sisters and one brother have preceded him in death. His nearest relatives now living are five nieces and four nephews. in the spring of 1865 (the parents having passed away) the home was broken up and Calvin lee made his home with a cousin till in July 1866 when he came to Franklin County, Kansas to make his home with his uncle. In January 1882 he came to Coffey County and settled on a farm east of Lebo where he spent the remainder of his life.
May 5th, 1886 he was united in marriage to Sarah J. Dixon, she also preceded him in death in 1906. while in young manhood he confessed faith in Christ and united with the church. The past few years his health has been failing and the past few months he has been very feeble, but he was able to be up and about most of the time until January 1st, 1930. Since that time he has been confined to his bed. The end came quietly at 4:40 p.m. Wednesday, January 22, 1930. Age 81 years, 5 months and 5 days. Submitted byTom Agan.

WOLFINGTON, William Elwood, Springs Valley Herald (February 27, 1930) News Article
William Elwood Wolfington, well known to residents of French Lick for many years, died at the home of his son Fred Wolfington, in Indianapolis, February 23. Mr. Wolfington was 59 years of age.
Mr. Wolfington was the son of Benoni and Nancy Wolfington, and was born in Orange County. He was a member of the Moores Ridge Methodist church, in which neighborhood most of his life was spent.
He leaves to mourn his passing two children, Fred and Lena of Indianapolis; and two brothers, Ellsworth and John Wolfington of this city. Funeral services were held Tuesday at the Moores Ridge Methodist church conducted by Rev. Byrum, followed by interment in the adjoining cemetery.

Springs Valley Herald (February 27, 1930) Obituary
William Elwood Wolfington came to brighten the home of Benoni and Nancy Wolfington in orange County, Indiana on August 11, 1870 and departed this life at the home of his son, Fred Wolfington in Indianapolis on February 23, 1930 of complication of diseases. Age 59 years, 6 months and 11 days.
Woodie as he was known by his many friends had been afflicted for about three years, although he was cheerful through his illness and near the end he expressed his desire to go to his home in Heaven.
He was united in marriage to Miss Nora Lashbrook on October 3, 1901. This union was blessed with three children, Fred, Elva and Lena. Elva preceded him in death in 1921 at the age of 14 years and his companion preceded him in death December 3, 1928.
He united with the Methodist church at Moores Ridge about nineteen years ago, where he spent the greater part of his life.
He leaves to mourn two children, Fred and Lena of Indianapolis, his two brother Elsworth, and John Wolfington of this city, two grandchildren and many other relatives and friends.


We take this method of expressing our heartfelt thanks to our many friends and neighbors for their kind assistance in the bereavement of our father and brother, Elwood Wolfington. We especially want to thank Rev. Byrum for his kindness and consoling words, those who furnished the music, the donors of flowers, Mr. Ritter, the undertaker and those who furnished cars. Fred and Lena, John and Elsworth and Families. Submitted byTom Agan.

PITCHER, Henry Edward "Edd", Springs Valley Herald (March 6, 1930) News Article
Edd Pitcher, 61 years old, well known resident of this place, died Wednesday evening (March 5, 1930) at 4:30 o'clock at the St. Anthony Hospital at Louisville, Ky., following an operation for stricture of the colon which he underwent February 25.
For days is was thought the operation was going to be successful until he took a change for the worse Sunday. Funeral services will be held tomorrow (Friday) at Mt. Lebanon, with interment in the adjoining cemetery.
He is survived by his widow, three daughters, Mrs. Charles Wininger of French Lick, Mrs. Joe Carr of Indianapolis, Mrs. Stella Blue of Cincinnati, three sons, John, Everett and Terrel of French Lick, and some grandchildren besides many other relatives and friends.

Springs Valley Herald (March 20, 1930) Obituary
Henry Edward Pitcher, son of Joshua and Louisa Pitcher was born in Illinois, November 11, 1868 and departed this life March 5, 1930, age 61 years, 3 months and 24 days.
Mr. Pitcher came to Indiana in his youth. He was united in marriage to Nevada Stoner. to this union were born seven children, one having preceded him in death.
He leaves to mourn their loss, besides the broken hearted wife, three daughters, Mrs. Stella Buccitti of Cincinnati, Ohio, Mrs. Clara Carr of Indianapolis, Ind., and Mrs. Jennie Wininger of French Lick, three sons, John, Everett and Terrill, all of French Lick, one sister, Mrs. Rachel Linch of Dexter, Mo., two brothers, John of Dexter, Mo. and Samuel of French Lick, Ind., eighteen grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.
Mr. Pitcher had been failing in health for several months. He took suddenly worse February 25th and was taken to St. Anthony's Hospital at Louisville, Ky. where death overtook him.
He was a loving and devoted husband and father, always holding a deep concern for his loved ones and friends. He was held in high esteem by his employers, neighbors and all who knew him.
While Mr. Pitcher did not make a profession of christianity he was a firm believer in the Christian religion. While at the hospital he requested a minister to be called. Knowing his time on earth was short he earnestly sought the Lord as his Savior. When asked for his testimony as to his spiritual condition he said he was ready to go and had no fear of death.
Through his death the wife has lost a faithful and loving husband, the children feel they have lost a great treasure. Though thrust through as with a dart, with submission we say "Thy will be done for God who is too wise to err knows best what should be done".


We wish to express our thanks to the many friends and neighbors for their kind sympathy, help and floral tributes, during the illness and death of husband and father, also to express our appreciation to Mr. Schmutzler, Rev. Goins and the Star Store for their help and kindness. Mrs. Ed Pitcher and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

ANDERSON, Permelia, Springs Valley Herald (March 6, 1930) News Article
Mrs. Permelia Anderson, nee Stoner, about 65 years of age, died Tuesday (March 4, 1930) at 6 o'clock of a complication of diseases, at the home of her sister, Mrs. Jeff Parsons, who lives near Norton.
Mrs. Anderson leaves one daughter, Mrs. Margaret Jackson of Salistine, Indiana and 5 grandchildren, 3 sisters, Mrs. Fannie Hawkins and Mrs. Edd Pitcher of French Lick, Mrs. Mattie Parsons of Norton, 2 brothers, John and William Stoner of French Lick.
Funeral Services will be conducted by the Rev. F. J. Goins at Mt. Lebanon at 2 o'clock this afternoon.

Springs Valley Herald (March 20, 1930) Obituary
Amelia B. Anderson, daughter of John T. and Mary Frances Stoner was born in Orange County, near French Lick, and departed this life Tuesday evening (March 4, 1930) at the home of her sister, Mrs. Jeff Tucker.
In 1911 she was united in marriage to Jessie Tucker, who died three years later. In 1915 she was married to Aaron Anderson, who also preceded her in death.
She leaves to mourn her loss, one daughter, Mrs. Maggie Jackson, three sisters, Mrs. Fannie Hawkins and Mrs. Ed Pitcher of French Lick, Indiana and Mrs. Jeff Parsons of near Norton, Indiana, two brothers, William H. and John A. Stoner, both of French Lick, five grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.
For eleven years she had made her home with her sister, Mrs. Jeff Parsons, which home she loved as her own. Together they shared their joy and sorrows. Her stay here was one of pleasantness as she was always considerate of those with whom she resided and did all she could to make life happy for them.
She will be greatly missed by her only daughter. Her brothers and sisters feel they have lost a treasure in her home-going.
In her girlhood she was converted and united with the M. E. Church at Scarlet Ridge. After her marriage to Mr. Tucker she moved her membership to the United Brethren Church at Newton Stewart. Though she had many trials she held fast her confidence in God.
She bore her suffering patiently, and asked as to her prospect of heaven, she said all was clear, and she was ready to go. At six o'clock Tuesday evening the Grim Reaper appeared, and she went without a struggle. We do not weep as those who have no hope for blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. Submitted byTom Agan.

STACKHOUSE, Claud, Springs Valley Herald (March 13, 1930) Obituary
Claud Stackhouse was born on the 4th day of October in the year of 1880 in Orange County, Indiana. He departed this life on March 6th, 1930 at his home in West Baden, Indiana. He was the son of Joseph and Jannie Stackhouse and was on of the seven children.
On december 27th, 1899 he was united in marriage to Minnie Vaughn of Casey County, Kentucky, and together they have spent their few short years around West Baden.
He leaves to mourn his untimely departure a sorrowing wife, six children, Thelbert, Maymie Mason, Herchel, Elsie Bradley, Opal and Carl. He has six grandchildren, an aged father, three brothers, John and Ralph of Geneva, Iowa, Harry of Peru, Indiana. His mother preceded him in death.
He worked for some years for the Interstate Public Service Company until his health forced him to give up his work. he had not worked for almost fifteen months. His suffering was intense but he bore it patiently until the Heavenly Father welcomed him into the eternal home. He was a member of the Baptist Church of West Baden.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to our relatives and friends for their many acts of kindness and sympathy shown during the illness and death of our beloved father and husband, Claud A. Stackhouse. We especially wish to thank Rev. Hacker and Rev. Montgomery for their consoling words and Mr. Schmutzler for the manner in which he conducted the funeral, also the pallbearers, the choir, and those who tendered floral offering and the use of their cars. The Family. Submitted byTom Agan.