Orange County Obituaries


QUINN, John F., Springs Valley Herald (August 12, 1915) Death Notice
Squire J. F. Quinn, who has been a resident of West Baden for several years, having come here on account of his health which was greatly benefitted by his residence here, died Sunday of a complication of diseases chief of which was a kidney and bladder trouble. Mr. Quinn was a member of the G.A.R. at West Baden and an earnest worker in the enterprises of that order. He was a man of sterling merit and in his death the Valley loses one of its best citizens. The remains were taken to Terre Haute Monday night where the interment took place Tuesday.

Springs Valley Herald (August 12, 1915) Obituary
John F. Quinn, Town Clerk and Justice of the Peace, succumbed to the ravages of Brights disease, about twelve o'clock Sunday, at the West Baden Hospital where he had been taken the night before. He had been ailing for several years, but was such a useful man that his services were always in demand and he answered to the call of duty when he was not able to go. Gentle, loving, patient, he suffered much, but bore it heroically and fought with all his might to threw off the weight which was upon him, but the hand of the destroyer would not be stayed. The end came peacefully as he lay in the arms of his devoted wife.
For several years he had gone about in our midst, quietly doing good. He was a member of the G.A.R. Post, Masons and a church worker. The funeral was held at the Baptist Church Monday at 2:00 o'clock. Rev. Fred R. Davies of Brownstown, conducting the services.
G.A.R. Post rendered a ritualistic program over the casket, which held their beloved comrade.
The body was taken to Terre Haute for burial.
Thus the noble life has left its influence upon the hearts of all those who knew him and this it is that the world is a better place because John F. Quinn has lived. Submitted by Tom Agan.

HOLLINGSWORTH, James W., Springs Valley Herald (August 26, 1915) Death Notice
James W. Hollingsworth died at his home Tuesday morning about 10 o'clock from heart disease. He has been in failing health for several weeks but has until the last few days been looking after his business as much as his health would permit. He walked out into his garden Tuesday morning and while there seems to have lain down and expired. He gave no alarm and passed away suddenly and peacefully. He was discovered by the family a few minutes after his death. He realized for several days that the end was near and had informed his family and several of his friends and said he was ready to go.
Mr. Hollingsworth was the oldest business man, from the standpoint of years in business, in Paoli. He has been in business for more than forty years and his reputation as a jeweler and a watch and clock expert had extended over a large territory. His business of repairing watches extended over many states and he had a very large business in that line that came from long distances by mail. Mr. Hollingsworth will be missed in Paoli. He has been a fixture for so long and have so accustomed to step into his store when we needed our watch repaired or anything else in his line. His reputation in his line and his guarantee of his work and goods were always as good as a bond and persons with whom he had business dealings never hesitated a moment in relying on his statements. He was an expert in his line not to be excelled.
Mr. Hollingsworth was seventy six years of age and leaves surviving his widow and three children, Mrs. Anna Harrison, of Grand Junction, Colorado, Mrs. Ella Mahan, of Colorado Springs, and John Hollingsworth of French Lick. At the request of the deceased no funeral services will be held and the interment will be tomorrow morning at the I.O.O.F. cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

CHARNES, Louisa, Springs Valley Herald (September 16, 1915) Obituary
Louisa, daughter of Gabriel and Mariah Daugherty, was born June 4, 1870, died Sept. 3, 1915. Aged 45 years, 3 months and 29 days.
She was united in marriage August 10, 1889 to John W. Charnes. To this union was born ten children, four of whom died in infancy, leaving three sons and three daughters, all were at her bedside, excepting H. E. Charnes of Yorba Linda, California.
she was a member of the United Brethren church, being converted in her youth, she lived a true christian life. She was a teacher in the Sunday Schools for several years before the fatal disease, rheumatism grasped her body. Her untiring zeal and devotion were an inspiration to those who heard her fearless declaration of the truth. Her constant desire during her long illness was that she might recover her health to again enter the work in the Sabbath School. During the years of her decline, she hoped against hope and planned for her work. However God was ripening her for Heaven. She left a burning testimony to the ability of God to keep and satisfy. during her affliction, she would often say, "It is well with my soul."
One brother, one sister and four infant children have crossed over. He husband, three sons, three daughters, father and mother, Gabriel and Mariah Daugherty, of Long Beach, California, three brothers and one sister, a host of friends and relatives remain to mourn their great loss.


We wish to express our sincerest gratitude to our relatives, friends and neighbors for their floral offerings, kindness and sympathy shown to us, and to our dear wife and mother during her long sickness and death. We especially thank Rev. M. V. Compton for his consoling words, and Mr. R. V. Claxton for his personal attention and services given us. John W. Charnes and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

KING, John, Springs Valley Herald (September 16, 1915) Death Notice
Mr. John King, a well know and highly respected resident of East College St. died about 3:00 a.m. Wednesday morning of heart trouble. Mr. King has been in poor health for several years and Tuesday he went out to his farm a few miles out of town and did some work and drove back in the evening. His wife awoke about 3:00 a.m. Wednesday morning hearing him making a struggling sound to find him dead. The interment will take place today at Moores Ridge cemetery.

Springs Valley Herald (September 23, 1915) Obituary
John Wesley King, son of John Henry and Lucretia King, was born Dec. 1, 1849. Died Sept, 15, 1915. Age 66 years, 9 months and 4 days. About 40 years ago he was married to Lucinda Robbins. To this union were born nine children, three sons and six daughters, three of these preceded their father to the other world. In early life he united with the Church of Christ at Patoka Chapel, and was baptized by the Rev. John Bobbitt.
He was an active worker in the church when his health permitted and was a liberal supporter of every good cause. He was honest and upright in all his dealings. The greatest desire of his life was that his children might become christians and live clean and honorable lives. Of him it can be truly said he was a good husband, a loving father, and a kind neighbor.
When he became of age he joined the Odd Fellow Lodge at Newton Stewart, he remained a faithful member until death.
His health had been failing for a long time, though he was not confined to his bed. Yet he felt the summons was near and only a few days ago he said to his wife, that he was ready to go, that nothing was in his way.
He leaves a wife, six children, one brother, three sisters and a host of friends to mourn his departure. Submitted by Tom Agan.

MOORE, Herman, Springs Valley Herald (November 11, 1915) Death Notice
Herman Moore, son of Rev. Aaron Moore of Crystal, Ind., enlisted in the regular army about two years ago and according to all reports was a brave, true and excellent soldier.
It seems that there had been some Mexican bandits making raids in Texas and had recently held up and robbed a passenger train near the Mexican line, when Company C, 4th infantry was ordered to the spot where the bobbing had been done. As Herman belonged to this company he answered the call promptly and without fear.
About eight o'clock Sunday night Oct. 24, Herman's regiment met these Mexican thieves and a skirmish of several minutes was carried on near Brownsville, in which time Herman was wounded being shot twice, once through the arm, the second shot penetrating the stomach. Monday morning following about 1:56 o'clock the death angel called and Herman answered the call that all must answer sooner or later.
Herman was a good young man and to know him was to love him. A card pinned to a beautiful bunch of flowers and accompanying the remains read as follows: "We express our sympathy to the bereaved and regret that one has been taken away from us that was a great class worker and Sunday School student." Signed up by the Sunday School teacher and members of the Baptist church. It was necessary that a special wagon be sent to French Lick to get the abundance of flowers which accompanied his remains. Flowers being sent from relatives and friends who were so far away they could not be present.
The funeral was held at the Baptist Church of which he was a member on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 31, in the presence of a very large audience. All these things go to show Herman's friends were many. Rev. J. V. Wolfe, of Orleans, Ind., preached the funeral Sunday afternoon, after which the remains were laid to rest in the Crystal cemetery.
He leaves an aged father, who to a great extent was dependent upon him, one half-brother, Guy Robison, who was in the regular service about a year ago. Submitted byTom Agan.

CLEMENTS, George W., Springs Valley Herald (November 18, 1915) Death Notice
George W. Clements, after one week's illness suddenly passed away on last Wednesday morning. He had been in poor health several weeks when on the 3 inst. he became seriously ill. Dr. Sanders was called to his assistance and though all knew he was in a critical condition hopes were entertained for his recovery. On Wednesday he became suddenly dangerous and had Dr. Salb of Jasper called. The hired man went to Cuzco to meet the physician, but before he reached the town, a telephone message announced the death of Mr. Clements. His decease came while reclining his head against the bosom of his ailing companion. We are informed that he dropped his head forward and expired without speaking a word. Only three persons were present at the moment of death.
Funeral services were conducted by Elder Lamar, after which the Newton Stewart Lodge of F. and A. Masons rendered ritualistic ceremonies and consigned the remains to it long resting place.
Mr. Clements was a member of the Church of Christ at Elon, and though account of some disagreement had been inactive several years as a church member, he resumed religious services and took an active part and deep interest shortly before becoming ill. An uncommonly large audience assembled at the church for funeral services. We have not heard the report of the attending physician as to the cause of death, but from observation and family statements we judge the cause to be paralysis of the heart. He had suffered at least two strokes before death though not serious.
Mr. Clements was a good citizen, a prominent Free Mason and a successful farmer whom the community will greatly miss. Submitted byTom Agan.

WOLFINGTON, Eleazor, Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1915) Obituary
Eleazor Wolfington was born in 1846 and departed this life Feb. 9, 1913, aged 67 years. He was an honest and attended to his own affairs. He was never married and lived alone most all his life.
He was well liked and respected by all who knew him and his death brought sadness to his acquaintances and friends. Sometime before his death he became insane and died at the asylum. His remains were interred at Moores Ridge cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

BELL, Florence, Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1915) Death Notice
Mrs. Florence Bell, daughter of Mrs. Martha Whittinghill, of Elon, died of tuberculosis at her home near this place Thursday at 12 o'clock. She had been a victim of the disease a little over five months according to reports. Florence was a kind and living mother, She leaves to mourn her departure a husband [Joseph Bell], one daughter fifteen months old, a mother, three brothers, five sisters, besides a host of relatives and friends to mourn her departure. Florence and her husband had lived in this community only a short time and had made many friends who will miss her and extend our sympathy to the bereaved ones. She was laid to rest in Elon cemetery Saturday, Dec. 4th. Elder V. T. Trimble preached the funeral discourse.

Springs Valley Herald (December 30, 1915) Obituary
Mrs. Florence Bell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Whittinghill. was born January 14, 1891. Departed this life December 2, 1915. she leaves a husband, a daughter, a mother and father, three brothers, five sisters and a host of friends to mourn her departure.
She became a member of the Christian church at the age of seventeen and continued a devoted christian until her death.
She was united in marriage to Joseph Bell, son of Mr. and Mrs. John J. Bell, October 12, 1912. To this union was born one child - a daughter.
Mrs. Bell's health had been failing for about two years, although her condition was not serious until about two months before her decease. She bore her long illness with great patience and without murmuring. She often said she knew she must go and that she was ready and willing. She told how she wished everything to be arranged and her directions have been followed as nearly as possible. Submitted byTom Agan.

HOPPER, William Jasper, Springs Valley Herald (September 30, 1926) Obituary
William Jasper, son of Jackson and Mary Hopper, was born in Orange County, Indiana, May 8, 1838 and departed this life September 21, 1926 at the age of 88 years, 4 months and 13 days.
The earlier years of his life were spent there.
In the year 1860 he was married to Elizabeth Moffet and to this union one son, James, was born. Death soon claimed the wife and James has also preceded his father.
He was again united in marriage to Jemimah Nelson. To this union six children were born, three boy and three girls of whom only one son, John of Arkansas is living. The wife also died.
On the twenty-sixth day of June, 1876, he was united with Louisa A. Chestnut, who with three son and three daughters survive him, three having died at an early age.
On August the 8th, 1862 he head and obeyed the call of his country, serving almost three years and being wounded different times. In the year A. D. 1898 he was converted and joined the United Brethren Church. He had long been a faithful and helpful member of the United Brethren Church and died in that faith.
He was a kind and faithful husband and father and a good neighbor, and will be sadly missed by all.
Besides his wife he leaves four sons, John of Arkansas, A. Jackson of Vincennes, Art and Edward both of near West Baden, three daughters, Mrs. Frank Wininger, Mrs. John Dorsett and Mrs. Edward Moore, also two step sons, Marion and Levi Nelson, forty nine grandchildren and twenty five great grandchildren.
His last days were full of suffering and we know our loss is his and Heaven's gain. He was patient through all and told his son a few hours before his death that he was ready to die and did not fear death, and that only God could give him rest.
William J. Hopper was a member of Company E, 66th Infantry during the greater part of the Civil War. Submitted by Tom Agan.

BURTON, Adam, Springs Valley Herald (September 30, 1926) Obituary
Adam Burton, son of David and Mary Vories Burton, was born near Orleans, Orange County, Indiana September 11th, 1858. His father answered to his country's call in 1861 and lost his life in the battle of Vicksburg.
In the community where he was born he grew to manhood. He was married to Mary M. Brown April 4th, 1882. To this union was born one son.
For several years he engaged in farming. In 1891 he moved to West Baden and engaged in the hotel business. For eighteen years he was known far and near as a genial hospitable inn-keeper.
In 1909 he moved to French Lick and engaged in the hardware business. For thirty-five years Brother Burton has been engaged in business in French Lick and West Baden. He was a charter member of the West Baden bank and for many years was vice-president of the same. On account of his health failing he resigned as an official of the bank. As a business man he was successful and won his way by honesty and fair dealing.
During the revival held at Ames Chapel in January 1882 he was happily converted and united with the church.
For several years his health has been failing. Three and one-half years ago the shadows fell on the home in the loss of the daughter-in-law. This shock was so great the Brother Burton and wife have never recovered from it. For the past four years Brother Burton has not been able to attend to business as in days of yore. During his long suffering he has been patient. No pains have been spared to help in restoring him to health again. But all efforts failed, wearied and tired, he fell asleep at 4:15 a.m. September 21st, 1926, to awake with the resurrection of the just.
He leaves the wife of his youth, his only son, Clifford E. Burton, two little grand daughters, half brother and a large circle of friends to mourn his departure at the age of 68 years and 10 days.
As a church and friend, we extend to the wife and children our sympathy and prayers, Mary, school mate and friend, when the nights are long and weary and the days are long and dreary, amy the God of all grace comfort you.
Clifford, to you is left the pleasant memory of a loving father. May his life be an inspiration to you in the years to come.


We wish to express our sincere thanks to our many friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted during the sickness, death and burial of our companion and father. Mrs. Mary M. Burton, C. E. Burton and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

ORR, Tempa E., Springs Valley Herald (September 30, 1926) Death Notice
Mrs. James Orr died at the family residence here [Paoli] Monday morning at 4 o'clock. Mrs. Orr had been an invalid for several years and her husband, who survives, is also an invalid and has not been able to work for a long period of years. Mrs. Orr is also survived by a son, John Orr. Funeral services were held near Fredericksburg, the former home of the deceased on Wednesday, conducted by Rev. George Dalrymple, former pastor of the M. E. Church here, now at Corydon. Submitted byTom Agan.

MARSHALL, Enoch, Springs Valley Herald (October 7, 1926) Death Notice
Enoch March, father of William Marshall of this city, died at Orleans last week and was buried at Sulphur Creek Sunday afternoon.
He made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Effie Miller of Orleans for the past few years and was there at the time of his death.
Mr. Marshall was a veteran of the Civil War.

Springs Valley Herald (October 14, 1926) Obituary
Enoch Marshall, eldest son of Charles and Mahiley Marshall, was born in Franklin County, Kentucky, December 1, 1845 and died at the home of his daughter, west of Orleans, October 2, 1926 at the age of 80 years, 10 months and 1 day.
When he was little past 16 years of age he enlisted in Co. F., 22nd Ky Regiment and served his county faithfully till the close. A few years after the war he came to Indiana and near Huron met and married Lucy M. Brown. To this union seven children were born, all of whom survive him. Namely: James Marshall of Miami, Florida; Mrs. James Hobson of Princeton, Ind,; Mrs. Rolla Qualkenbush of Monon, Ind.; Mrs. Delbert Leonard, William Marshall and Mrs. George Gride, all of French Lick; and Mrs. Otis Miller with whom he made his home since her marriage.
In 1899 the wife and mother died leaving him with his small children, the youngest eighteen months old and him being almost blind it was a long, hard struggle. But he remained faithful to his promise to his wife, to keep their children together and to her special request to take good care of their baby.
He was a kind, good hearted man. No one ever came to him for help and was denied. He was a good father, although he didn't belong to any church he often said he wasn't afraid to die and that all was well. He suffered ten months and bore it with the very best patience and after he was seemingly better he quietly fell asleep Saturday at 12 o'clock.
Besides the children he leaves thirty grandchildren, two brothers, namely Dennis Marshall of Lagrange, Ky. and John Marshal of Louisville, Ky. Although our hearts are broken at giving up father we feel he has just gone on to be with mother and wait the coming of their children.
He was laid to rest at Sulphur Creek beside his wife whom he has missed so much in his last years. Funeral services were conducted by an old friend of the family, Bro. Volney Trimble. Submitted byTom Agan.

BROWN, George W., Springs Valley Herald (October 7, 1926) Death Notice
George W. Brown, aged 74, of Bunkum, died Tuesday of cardiac renal.
He leaves a wife, three sons, Charles, Hilbert and Ed, and five daughters, Mrs. Alice Bledsoe, Mrs. Oma Bird, Mrs. Dora Briton, all of this vicinity, Mrs. Anna Teaford of California and Iona of New York.
Funeral services are to be held at 2:00 o'clock this afternoon at Highland Chapel.

Springs Valley Herald (October 14, 1926) Obituary
George W. Brown, son of Thomas and Thursa Claxton Brown, was born at Orleans, Indiana September 21st, 1852 and passed away at his home on Tuesday morning, October 5, 1926 at the age of 74 years and 14 days.
He was married to Rosa Ann Mahan, August 17, 1879. To this union ten children were born, three sons and seven daughters, all living but daughter, Thursa, who departed this life some twenty years ago. Those surviving are Mrs. Mary Bledsoe of French Lick; Mrs. Dora Britton, Mrs. Oma Bird, Charles, Ed and Hilbert of West Baden; Mrs. Dessie Goldsmith of Chicago; Mrs. Iona Linden of New York and Mrs. Ann Teaford of Los Angeles, California. He has fifteen living grandchildren, three preceding him to the great beyond; one great granddaughter and one brother.
He lived many years in the village of Prospect. He and Mrs. Brown united with the church at that place and were baptized at the same place.
He was a hard working man, a good neighbor. One of his greatest pleasures was to visit the sick and he was always ready to give a helping hand.
He realized his condition and knew the end was near, often saying to his faithful companion, "He would soon be going away, he was only waiting and anxious to go for his suffering was so great."


We wish to thank our neighbors and friends for their kindness shown us during the sickness and death of our husband and father, also for the floral offerings and Mr. W. V. Ritter for his kindness and Rev. Jackson. Mrs. George W. Brown and Children. Submitted byTom Agan.

BEATY, George D., Springs Valley Herald (October 14, 1926) Obituary
George D. Beatty, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Beaty, was born in Orange County, Indiana. May 16th, 1866 and departed this life October 5th, 1926 at the age of 60 years, 4 months and 20 days.
He was united in marriage in 1896 to Miss Cynthia Burton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Burton. To this union were born four children. One child, three brothers and three sisters proceded him in death.
He leaves to mourn their loss a wife and three children, Mrs. Hazel Charles of Oklahoma, Mrs. Goldie Trinkle and Mr. James Beaty of French Lick, also two grandchildren of French Lick, three sisters, Mrs. Susie Ellis of New Salsberry, Ind. Mrs. Sarah Price of Tennessee, Mrs. Margret Staffner of Illinois, and one brother William Beaty of Kansas, and other relatives and friends. Submitted byTom Agan.

HAZLEWOOD, Felix W. Dr., Springs Valley Herald (October 14, 1926) Death Notice
Dr. Felix W. Hazlewood, 62 years old, a physician in New Albany, died Friday at the Battle Creek Sanatorium, Battle Creek, Michigan, and was buried in Mitchell Monday afternoon.
Dr. Hazlewood had been in failing health for several years since suffering an attack of double pneumonia. A few months ago he and wife and daughter left for a tour of the west for the benefit of his health, and were on the way home when he was taken ill in Battle Creek.
He was born in Valeene, Indiana and was the son of Dr. Lee Hazlewood. Twenty three years ago he established his office in New Albany, where he became quite a well know physician and surgeon.
He practiced two years at English, Indiana, before moving to New Albany. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Sally Underwood, and a daughter, Mrs. Irene Cassin, of Cincinati, who were with him when he died.
Dr. Hazlewood was a cousin of Dr. W. W. Sloan of this city. Submitted by Tom Agan.

LINDLEY, John J., Springs Valley Herald (October 21, 1926) Death Notice
New was received here last night that John J. Lindley of Paoli, had been run over by a car about six o'clock, receiving injuries from which he died a few hours later.
The death car did not stop and the identity of the driver is unknown. We understand that the only clue the authorities possess is that a bystander said it was a big blue car and the driver wore a chauffer's uniform.
Mr. Lindley was the father of Sheriff Paul Lindley of Paoli, and Miss Mary Lindley, a former teacher in the French Lick Schools.

Springs Valley Herald (October 28, 1926) News Article
Ralph Arthur, chauffeur for a party from Chicago stopping at the Springs Hotel, was arrested here Saturday by Chief Apple, as it was suspicion that he was the party who ran over and killed John Lindley at Paoli last Wednesday night.
Arthur was released on a $5,000,000 bond and the preliminary hearing was set for November 1st.
However, an examination of the case held Monday by Thomas Masterson, prosecuting attorney, resulted in dismissal of the case for lack of sufficient evidence. Submitted byTom Agan.

PATTON, Hanna M., Springs Valley Herald (October 21, 1926) Death Notice
This community [Paoli] was sadden Sunday morning when the death of Mrs. John R. Patton was announced. Mrs. Patton suffered a severe injury on Monday evening of last week when she fell down the stairway at the family home. She sustained a severe cut about the head from which she lay in an unconscuous condition most of the time until her death. The shock of the fall is believed to have too severe for one of her advanced age. She was 78 years of age and is survived by her husband and four children, eleven grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
Funeral services were held here today at the Presbyterian church, conducted by Dr. Scott, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Bedford, assisted by Rev. A. L. Copeland, pastor of the Friends Church of this city. [Interment at I.O.O.F. Cemetery, Paoli, Indiana] Submitted byTom Agan.

STEEL, Dora, Springs Valley Herald (October 28, 1926) Death Notice
Mrs. Dora Steel, a former resident of this city, died last Sunday at her home in Madisonville, Ky., of strangulated hernia after an illness of seven days.
Mrs. Steel was the wife of Charles Steel, who was employed at the French Lick Springs Hotel printing office several years ago. She was 41 years old.
The body was brought here Tuesday afternoon and funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock at the M. E. Church. Rev. C. O. Morin, pastor of the M. E. Church, officiated at the services. Submitted byTom Agan.

FARLOW, Ora Etta, Springs Valley Herald (November 6, 1926) Death Notice
Mrs. Moulder Farlow died Sunday morning at 2:00 o'clock. Funeral services were held at the Friend's Church at 10:00 a.m. conducted by her pastor, Rev. Copeland. Interment was in the new cemetery in southwest Paoli [Community Cemetery, Paoli, Indiana] Submitted byTom Agan.

MADDEN, Pearl Morris, Springs Valley Herald (November 6, 1926) Death Notice
Word was received here yesterday of an accident, which afterward terminated fatally, at Orleans.
While starting a fire early Tuesday morning with coal oil, Mrs. Pearl Morris Madden, wife of William Madden, of Orleans, was terribly burned as a result of an explosion that followed. Mrs. Madden was not aware that there were a few live coals in the stove and poured coal oil from a can, causing the explosion. She was so seriously burned about her lower limbs and body that she died at 8 o'clock this morning.
Her husband, who is an employee of the Monon, was notified at once of the accident, but it was not believed that the burns were extremely serious, and hopes of her recovery were entertained. The news of her death came as a shock to those who knew Mrs. Madden here. She is a daughter of Bartlett madden, of the vicinity of Paoli, and was the mother of three children, all surviving.
The family and relatives of the unfortunate woman have the sympathy of the News in their sorrow.
We have not learned of the funeral arrangements yet, bit are informed that a message is being awaited from Mrs. Madden's two sisters, both of whom live in Oregon. - Paoli News. [Interment at Orleans Cemetery, Orleans, Indiana] Submitted byTom Agan.

STANFIELD, John, Springs Valley Herald (November 18, 1926) Death Notice
John Stanfield, aged 63, died Thursday at his home a few miles west of town, of typhoid fever. He had been ill for about two weeks.
Mr. Stanfield leaves six brothers, three sisters, and a wife and small grandson. Two children, Roy and Anna, have preceded him in death.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Rice at the Mt. Lebanon church at 2:00 o'clock Saturday afternoon, followed by interment in the nearby cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

EMMONS, Sarah Catherine, Springs Valley Herald (November 18, 1926) Death Notice
Sarah Catherine Emmons, wife of Jacob Emmons, died early Sunday morning of paralysis.
Mrs. Emmons was born in Elkhart, Ind., January 19, 1852. She was the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Nelson.
Funeral services were held at 2:00 o'clock Monday afternoon at Mt. Lebanon. Submitted by Tom Agan.

SHIRLEY, Leroy O., Springs Valley Herald (November 18, 1926) Death Notice
Rev. N. F. Denny conducted the funeral services at Orleans Saturday of one of the former pioneer residents of this county, born and raised near Orangeville,. Leroy O. Shirley, who died near Cincinnati on November 11th. Dr. John A. Ritter, of West Baden, was a schoolmate of the deceased at college. Rev. Denny was a pupil of Leroy's while he was teaching school at the Miller school house, this county, beginning in the year 1866. The mortal remains were laid to rest in the Orleans cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

PINNICK, Henry D., Springs Valley Herald (December 9, 1926) Death Notice
H. D. Pinnick, a pioneer resident of Orangeville, and well known throughout the county, died at home at that place Saturday last. funeral services were held at Bethel Sunday, with discourse by Rev. N. F. Denny. The deceased was a member of the Odd Fellows, the impressive ceremonies of that order being in charge of Lewis Brown, veteran member. Submitted byTom Agan.

CLEVELAND, Anna P., Springs Valley Herald (December 9, 1926) Death Notice
Another of the pioneer women of this section [Orangeville] passed to eternal rest last week in the person of the widown of William Cleveland. She was in the 92nd year of her age, was of English birth and highly respected by all who knew her. Interment was in the Bethel cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

KELLAMS, Rozella Thurston, Springs Valley Herald (December 9, 1926) Obituary
Rozella Thurston Kellams was born October 26, 1878 and departed this life December 2, 1926 at the age of 48 years, 1 month and 6 days.
She was united in marriage to Henry W. Kellams, January 3, 1903. This union was never blessed with any children. But three years ago they took into their hearts and home Florence Elaine Thurston, the little motherless daughter of their nephew, giving her all the living care and attention they would if she had been their own, remembering the words of the master, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto me."
Rosie united with the christian church at an early age and had since lived true to her convictions for during her sickness she often said she was ready to go, only sorry to leave her loved ones.
She leaves a mother, two sisters, one brother and a host of relatives and friends to mourn for her. Father, two brothers and two sisters having preceded her in death.
She will be sadly missed in her home and community. [Interment at Cane Creek Cemetery, Jackson Township]


We desire to thank our friends for their kindness shown us during the sickness and death of our loved one. Mrs. Rozella Kellams. Also Bro. Trimble for his consoling words, and the undertaker, Mr. Schmutzler, for his efficient service. Henry W. Kellams, Mrs. S. J. Thurston, Mrs. Rosetta Flick, Mrs. Mary Hamilton, Mr. Frank Thurston. Submitted byTom Agan.

WININGER, Eliza, Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1926) Death Notice
Mrs. Eliza Wininger, an aged and respected lady, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Richmond Albright Saturday morning. She was buried at Emmons Ridge Sunday.

Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1926) Obituary
Eliza Wininger, wife of George A, Wininger, was born August 23rd, 1856 and died December 10th, 1926. Age 70 years, 3 months and 18 days.
She was united in marriage to George A. Wininger. There was born to this union nine children: Lucie Archer, James and George Jr., and George, her companion, preceded her in death. The children surviving her are: Hattie Albright of French Lick, Manford Wininger of Hillham, Adie Phillips of French Lick an Sadie Phillips of Hillham.
She was converted near Hillham twenty-five years ago and united with the U. B. Church, where she lived a consistent christian until death.
She has been an invalid for six years, but bore her suffering with patience, trusting in the Lord, as her redeemer and Savior, saying she had no one to look to, but Jesus, and that she was only waiting until her change came leaving children, grandchildren, many relatives and friends to mourn her loss. Her friends who administered to her needs through her sickness and death is ever to be appreciated and ever thankful by all her friends.
She was a loving mother and ever strove to administer to the wants of her family while under her care and training. Her presence will be greatly missed by all. She's gone but not forgotten.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. M. D. Emmons of Hillham, Ind., Carl Burton of Hillham, was undertaker. Submitted by Tom Agan.

FLICK, Sadie Belle, Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1926) Obituary
Sadie Belle Flick, daughter of James and Nancy Jane Buck, was born in Dubois County, Indiana April 16th, 1883.
She was married to Garfield Flick July 19th, 1902. To this union was born ten children, nine of which survive the mother. One died in infancy. The names of the children are as follows: Harry D., Bessie Radcliff, Coleman D., Harold G., Charles M., Ralph M., Frances K., James F., and Mary Belle.
For twenty-four years sister Flick has shared the joys and sorrows of the home and has been a real mother. No word means so much as mother, no loss so great as that of a mother, no hands so tender, no affection so strong, no sympathy so great. The busy world may neglect us, but mother's love is unchanging, abiding and will abide forever. The loss of mother is irreparable. The empty chair in silence speaks of the loss, the longing and craving of the children for sympathy and the ministrations of a mother's love will continue throughout the years. God bless a mothers memory. On her grave plant some rose that blooms perpetually, and let the rose in silence speak of mothers perpetual sunshine, long suffering, gentleness, goodness and ever abiding influence in the home.
In the morning of life sister Flick remembered her creator, and gave her heart to God and united with the United Brethren Church. It seems to us, who see through a glass darkly, that the departure of this mother is almost a tragedy. It may be truly said of this mother, her sun has gone down while it was yet day.
At 4:40 a.m. December 8th, 1926 this mother moved out of this earthly house or tabernacle, and has gone to occupy a mansion and wave a palm and wear a crown. Age 43 years, 7 months and 22 days.
A large sympathetic audience attended the funeral, conducted by Rev. N. F. Denny from the text found in Matthew 22, second chapter, and 32nd verse. [I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.] Interment at Ames Chapel.
She leaves a husband, nine children and two sisters to mourn her departure.


We wish to thank our neighbors and friends for their sympathy and kindness during our recent bereavement. We also thank the donors of the flowers and W. V. Ritter and Son for their services. Garfield Flick and Family and Sisters. Submitted byTom Agan.

KEARBY, Delphia A., Springs Valley Herald (December 16, 1926) Obituary
Delphia A. Kirkland, daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth Kirkland was born in Tennessee, May 17, 1847. When but a little girl she with her father and mother, six brothers and sisters came to Indiana and settled near French Lick, where she spent the most of her life.
She professed Christ when very young and united with the church at Mt. Lebanon where she remained a faithful member always doing what she could for her master.
She was married to David S. Kearby November 30, 1879. To this union nine children were born, Florence, Audra, Oscar and Alonzo having preceded her to the great beyond.
Her husband died March 11, 1907 and she was left to fight the battle without the love and protection of a companion.
She made her home with her children, spending most of her time with her daughter, Mrs. Ella Stout.
she was loyal and true to her home and her family, her church and her God. She was kind and sympathetic, modest and unassuming in manner always appreciative of the many acts of kindness rendered by her friends.
After six days of severe suffering she passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ella Stout, about 7:30 Tuesday afternoon, December 7, 1926 at the age of 79 years, 6 months and 20 days.
She leaves to mourn for her, two daughters, Mrs. Ella Stout and Mrs. Ethel Qualkenbush, three sons, Edward of Arkansas and William and Elwood, three sisters, Mrs. Eva Crowder, Mrs. Mary Cave and Mrs. Frances Henson, one brother Robert Kirkland, twenty-nine grandchildren, and a host of other relatives and friends.
We will miss dear mother, but we know Gods way is best and she is safe in the arms of Jesus. Early Thursday morning the family heard her praying and singing "Over on the Golden Shore."

Oh, friends of ours we grieve to loose
The grasp of mothers hand,
How much we need each other here
Each fully understand,
But, oh, the joy it brings to us
To know that we may stand
"Over on the Golden shore"
And clasp her hand again.

After short services at the home of Mrs. Ed Stout the remains were taken to Mt. Lebanon where funeral services were conducted by Rev. George Wininger. Submitted by Tom Agan.