Orange County Obituaries


BRIDGEWATER, Thomas Elwood, Springs Valley Herald (July 21, 1911) Death Notice
Thomas Elwood Bridgewater, aged 27 years, 6 months and 8 days, died at his home near West Baden last Sunday morning of tuberculosis of the stomach, after a lingering illness. The funeral services were conducted from the residence of his parents at 10 o'clock Monday by Eld. Richard Bex, after which interment occurred at Ames Chapel cemetery.
The following pall bearers were the close friends of the deceased: Elmer and George Pierce, Arthur Stewart, Will Denny, James and Dave Scarlett. "Duck" as he was commonly known, was a big hearted, jovial fellow and well like by everyone who had the good fortune to know him. He always had a kind word for everyone and will be missed in the community in which he resided. He leaves a wife, father and mother to mourn his loss. The Herald joins the many friends of the deceased in extending to the grief-stricken wife, father and mother their heartfelt sympathy in this their hour of sadness. Submitted by Tom Agan.

WEBB, John T., Orleans Progress (November 19, 1891) Death Notice

Farmer John Webb Riddled by a load of Buck Shot
His Little Ten Year Old Daughter Barely Escapes Death From a Stray Bullet
Fired at the Assassin by Her Father After He Had Received His Death Wound
A Prominent Citizen Said to be Implicated, but no Positive Proof Brought Out Against Him

A cowardly murder was committed last Saturday evening about seven o'clock, four miles south of town, when John T. Webb, a prosperous farmer, was shot in the back by an assassin who had deliberately planned the murder.
The alarm was soon spread and hundreds of people gathered on the scene, eager to see and hear the details of the cowardly murder, and see if the assassin had left any traces by which his identity would be traced. A reported for this paper was at the scene Sunday and the facts as learned are as follows:
About seven o'clock that evening while Webb was sitting by the fire he heard someone calling cattle across the river bed west of his house. Taking his umbrella he walked down through the lot between his house and the river; reaching the gate that opened out into what is known as the river bed, he climbed the bank at the side of the road and attempted to climb the fence, when he was fired on by the assassin, secreted under the river bank and some fifty feet south of the gate. Thirty-eight shot pierced his left hip and side inflicting a wound from which he died Sunday morning at 9 o'clock.
When he received the shot he fell backward off the fence, and lying on his right side he drew his revolver and placing it through the crack of the fence fired two shots in the direction from whence the shot came, one of which struck the gate and glancing off struck his little ten year old daughter who had been attracted by the noise and was coming down the path traveled by her father, but a moment before, and inflicted a painful, though not dangerous would on the throat. Assistance was summoned and the victim was carried to the house and medical aid summoned, and all that could be done for the dying man was done, but to no avail.
The assassin was tracked to the corner of a wheat field, about seventy-five yards southwest of the spot where the shooting was done, where he was joined by another person and the two tracked across the wheat field to the woods where the tracks were lost. Pieces of the wads were found that show almost where the cowardly assassin stood when he fired the fatal shot.
Suspicion points strongly to a prominent farmer, and a near neighbor of Webb's, with whom he had trouble, bit no positive evidence was found sufficient to warrant his arrest. The coroner was summoned and an inquest held, but nothing could be found that would throw any light on the murder.
The victim of the unfortunate affair was buried in the Webb graveyard Monday evening, The G.A.R. of this place, of which he was a member, conducting the exercises. Webb was a man about fifty-eight years old and leaves a wife and five daughters who have the sympathy of the entire community.
Webb was a man who was disposed to be quarrelsome with his neighbors, and had been the aggressor in several melees in the neighborhood. He had openly attacked some three or four of his neighbors, but it was always in a desperate manner, and not in the cowardly manner in which he met his death. He was kind to his family and a good provider, and there are those by the score who can testify to his liberality as the host. Bad as he was, the man who planned and executed his murder is infinitely worse, and if discovered, which he surely will be, should receive the extreme penalty of the law.
Rumors were plenty about the troubles he had with his neighbors, but all centered on one man. As to this man's guilt or innocence we leave the court's to determine.

Orleans Progress (December 2, 1891) Followup Story


Marion Wood was arrested Tuesday of this week charged with the murder of John Webb, who was shot and mortally wounded late on the evening of Nov. 14th, near his residence in Paoli Township. The warrant was issued by Squire David Huddleson, of Paoli, on the affidavit of Webb's widow. The affidavit was made some eight or nine days ago, but on account of there being no constable in that township the execution of the warrant was delayed until Tuesday.
On the return of the warrant with the body of the accused, the justice, by agreement of parties, fixed Friday, Dec. 4, at 9 o'clock a.m. as the time for the beginning of the preliminary trial.
The defendant's counsel asked that the defendant be released on bond for his appearance, but this was denied on the ground that the case was not bailable.
About thirty-five witnesses are to be subpoenied for the State, and the examination promises to be very interesting. Our hope is that the whole truth concerning the murder and the perpetrator of the foul deed may be fully revealed.
Mavity, Wright and Buskirk represent the State, while Farrel of Paoli and Alspaugh & Lawler of Salem, appear for the defendant.

Orleans Progress (December 9, 1891)
Marion Wood has been arrested for the murder of John Webb. He has served three days in the county bastile at the end of which time he is permitted to go after filing a bond of $10,000 for his appearance at court. The grand jury will investigate the matter and if a true bill be found, he will be tried before the court. If found guilty he will surely be punished. If innocent he will be completely exonerated.

Orleans Progress (March 24, 1892)

So Says The Jurymen After Being Out All Night
Of the Charge of Killing John T. Webb Last November

The Webb murder trial came to an end when on yesterday morning at 7:30 o'clock, the jury brought in a verdict of not guilty, and today Marion Woods is a free man. It will be remembered by our readers that this trial grew out of a finding of the grand jury at its January term, charging Marion Wood with the murder of John T, Webb, on November 14, 1891, at a lonely place on Lost River, near Webb's residence. The trial has been in progress since Tuesday, the 15th, occupying seven days. There is yet some strong feeling existing in the matter but we shall now say anything regarding it. Our readers are so well acquainted with the testimony given in that for want of space we will not attempt a rehearsal.
The defense was conducted by Alspaugh, Lawler, Lingle and Farrel, while the prosecution was ably represented by Buskirk, Brannaman and Wright. Submitted by Tom Agan.

SPEECE, Mary, Orleans Progress (December 2, 1891) Death Notice
Mrs. Mary Speece, who, with her little daughter lived alone in French Lick Township for a long time, was burned to death last Friday morning. The little daughter had gone to school, and on returning home in the afternoon found the old lady lying in the fireplace, burned beyond recognition. Squire Cassidy, of French Lick, held the inquest in the absence of the coroner. Submitted byTom Agan.

PINNICK, William, Orleans Progress (December 16, 1891) Death Notice
William Pinnick, living near Orangeville, died last Friday of a complication of diseases attendant upon old age. He was a good citizen, and was respected by all who knew him. He had been blind for a number of years. His remains were interred at the family burying ground Saturday. The family have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement. Submitted byTom Agan.

HARDMAN, Mary, Orleans Progress (December 30, 1891) Death Notice
Mrs. Mary Hardman died very suddenly yesterday morning of lagrippe. She was a woman of high moral worth and was beloved by all who knew her. A loving mother, a dutiful wife, a kind and generous neighbor and friend has passed into that great beyond, leaving behind her her life's companion, one daughter and a host of friends to mourn her loss. Mrs. Hardman had been sick but a few days and her death was unexpected. Mr. Hardman is quite sick with lagrippe and the shock caused by his wife's death almost prostrated him.


We desire to express out heartfelt thanks to the friends who so kindly aided us during the late illness and death of our companion and mother. David Hardman, Ziba Murray, Jennie Murray. Submitted byTom Agan.

BUNDY, Will, Orleans Progress (January 14, 1892) Death Notice
Will Bundy, of Paoli, died last Sunday evening of typhoid fever. He had been sick but a few days, but his sickness was so severe that his death had been expected for some time. "Bun" as he was familiarly called, was a young man who it was a pleasure to know. He was kind, sociable and obliging and was universally respected and beloved by all who knew him. None knew him but to love him and his rare traits of character were exhiblited in his daily life. He leave a wife and two children to mourn his death, bit their grief finds consolation in the promises of our Savior who hath said, "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord." His remains were interred at Paoli Sunday evening. Submitted byTom Agan.

MOORE, Elizabeth, Orleans Progress (January 14, 1892) Death Notice
Died, on Friday January 8th, 1892, Mrs. Elizabeth Moore, in the 78th year of her life. Mrs. MNoore was a kind christian lady who by her daily life exemplified the teaching of her Savior. She was a devout christian and delighted in doing her masters will. She was married to Henry Moore in 1833. From this union two sons and four daughters were born of whom one son and four daughters are still living. Her remains were laid to rest at Liberty cemetery last Dunday and were followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of friends and relatives of the deceased. The Progress extends its sympathy to the mourners in this their hour of affliction. Submitted byTom Agan.

MURRAY, James, Orleans Progress (January 21, 1892) Death Notice
James Murray died yesterday morning of lagrippe, after a sickness of about ten days. Mr. Murray was a well-to-do farmer and lived about two miles from town. He was a good citizen and enjoyed the confidence and respect of all who know him. He leaves a wife and several children together with a host of friends to mourn his death. Mrs. Murray has been sick some time, but at this writing is somewhat better. Submitted byTom Agan.

FISHER, Margaret, Orleans Progress (January 28, 1892) Death Notice
Mrs. John Fisher, the estimable wife of John Fisher, Sr., who lives in the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood, died very suddenly of heart disease last sunday night. She was about sixty eight years old and was highly respected wherever she was known.. Submitted byTom Agan.

CAMPBELL, Deborah, Orleans Progress (January 28, 1892) Death Notice
Mrs. J. P. Campbell of Abby Dell died this week. Her husband died two weeks since and Mrs. Campbell never recovered from the shock. She was a kind christian lady and enjoyed the respect and confidence of all her neighbors and friends. she leaves one daughter who in two short weeks has lost both father and mother. The doubly bereaved daughter has the sympathy of the entire community. Submitted byTom Agan.

BURGESS, Floyd, Orleans Progress (January 28, 1892) Death Notice
Floyd Burgess, of English, Ind., died last Friday of Pneumonia and was buried at Stampers Creek on Sunday. Mr. Burgess formerly lived in our city and conducted a dry goods store in the room now occupied by M. C. Reed. He was gentle man in all that the term implies, and had a large circle of friends in our county who will be grieved to learn of his death. He leaves a wife and two children who have the sympathy of the community in their sad affliction. Submitted byTom Agan.

HACKNEY, Reuben, Orleans Progress (January 28, 1892) Death Notice
Reuben Hackney died last Friday afternoon of consumption, aged about fifty years. He was a quiet, inoffensive, christian gentleman, who everybody in our town knew and respected. Honest and generous to a fault, an earnest and devout christian, none knew him but to respect him. His was a familiar figure to our people until disease claimed him, and death had marked him for its victim. he died as he had lived, peacefully and quietly, surrounded by his friends and relatives, when he felt the icy hand of Death, he called them around his bedside and bid them good-bye, gave instruction to his friends as to where he wanted to be buried, and that he desired Rev. Harry Morgan to preach his funeral, he closed his eyes and waited for the summons he knew full well was not far distant. He was buried at Stampers Creek Last Sunday, a large number of our people accompanying the precession. He had been a member of the Baptist church for a number of years, and was a faithful attendant at all its meetings, and at the Sunday schools. To the sorrowing relatives and friends we extend our heartfelt sympathy. Submitted byTom Agan.

McCART, Lucretia, Orleans Progress (March 3, 1892) Death Notice
Mrs. Lucretia McCart, the mother of James M. McCart of this place died at Elnora, Daviess County on last Friday night. The deceased was the widow of John McCart and was an estimable lady. The remains arrived here Saturday evening and interred in the Orleans cemetery Sunday.


We desire to express our thanks to our friends and nieghbors for their kind assistance in our late bereavement. James M. McCart and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

WELLS, Annie, Orleans Progress (March 17, 1892) Death Notice
Mrs. Annie Wells, wife of James Wells, died last Thursday night at her home at French Lick, after a brief illness. Her remains were interred in the Ames Chapel cemetery on Saturday. Submitted byTom Agan.

KIMBLEY, Arthur J., Orleans Progress (March 24, 1892) Death Notice
Arthur J. Kimbley died Tuesday afternoon, at 5 o'clock, at the residence of his brother-in-law, S. N. Fisher. He was 32 years of age. He was a sufferer of consumption, which, aggravated with lagrippe, caused his heath. His home was at Friendswood, where he leaves a wife to mourn his loss, with a large circle of relatives and friends at this place. Funeral services will be held at the residence of Mr. Fisher this morning at 10 o'clock after which the remains will be interred in the Orleans cemetery. Submitted byTom Agan.

CHAILLAUX, Louis, Orleans Progress (March 31, 1892) Death Notice
Louis Chaillaux, of North West Township, was buried at Bethel last Friday after a very short illness. We are not informed as to the ailment. The deceased was a man of retiring disposition, but carried a great heart and was one of the best read men in the county. He leaves a wife and six children. Submitted byTom Agan.

KIRBY, Martha Jane, The Orleans Progress (January 7, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Martha Jane Kirby, well know to many of our people, died at Williamsburg, Ky., Sunday night, December 20, in the 67 years of her age. She leaves two children,. John T. Cook, of Iowa, and Mrs. H. C. Tyler, of Williamsburg, Ky. she was a former resident of this place and was highly respected by all who knew her. She was a good christian woman and the memory of her many good deeds will long live in the hearts of her friends. Submitted byTom Agan.

COLLINS, Isom, The Orleans Progress (January 14, 1897) Death Notice
Isom Collins, aged 23 and unmarried, a son of Young Collins, living four miles southeast of French Lick, met death last Saturday at his home by the accidental discharge of a revolver in his pocket. Submitted byTom Agan.

TURNER, Jacob, The Orleans Progress (January 21, 1897) Death Notice
Jacob Turner, a prominent citizen of this county, living near old Turner Station, died last Friday, aged 80 years. Submitted by Tom Agan.

WEBB, Sarah E., The Orleans Progress (January 28, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Sarah E. Webb departed this life at her residence three miles south of Orleans, Jan. 21st, 1897, aged 44 years and 11 months. She was the daughter of Jacob and Mary S. Pickett; was married to John T. Webb Nov. 16, 1876, who died Oct. 31, 1891. The mother was left with three daughters, who still survive, also four sisters and one brother and a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn her loss.
For the last five months of her life she was a great sufferer, but death relieved her of all her bodily pain and the remains were placed beside those of her husband in the family cemetery on the farm after a short funeral service conducted at the family residence by Rev. M. C. Clark of Campbellsburg. Submitted byTom Agan.

HARDMAN, Betty, The Orleans Progress (February 4, 1897) Death Notice
Aunt Betty Hardman died at the home of Philip Clipp, near Carter's Creek, at the advanced age of 97 years. She was the mother of David Hardman, of this place, and leaves besides him, one son and one daughter. she was a highly respected woman and all through her ninety-seven years of life had been an earnest and devout christian. Her death was simply a resting place for the spirit in its passage to the celestial world. Submitted byTom Agan.

PEACHER, Hannah, The Orleans Progress (February 4, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Hannah Peacher, mother of Wm. H. Peacher, was found dead in her bed yesterday morning at the home of her son. She had retired to bed the evening before in her usual health, and her death was consequently a surprise. She was near 80 years old and was a good christian woman. Her remains were interred at Mt. Horeb today. Her husband met death about two years ago, by being butted by a vicious sheep, since which time she has lived with her son. The family have the sympathy of the community. Submitted byTom Agan.

PINNICK, Elijah, The Orleans Progress (March 11, 1897) Death Notice
Elijah Pinnick, a prominent farmer living near Orangeville, was found dead in his bed yesterday morning. He is supposed to have died of heart disease. Submitted byTom Agan.

CHENOWETH, John, The Orleans Progress (March 18, 1897) Death Notice
Another one of Orleans' old and best citizens has gone. This time the hand of death has claimed for its own and taken from our midst one of our best loved citizens, Uncle John Chenoweth. He has for almost thirty-five years been among us and mingled with our people everyday, and his many gracious acts will long be remembered. He was for many years identified with the business interests of Orleans, having conducted a milling business until within the last few years, when he was compelled to retire on account of his failing health. He was taken down sick ten weeks ago with typhoid fever, and from that time he gradually grew worse until death relieved his sufferings last Friday evening at 7:30 o'clock. He was sixty eight years of age, and leaves a living wife and a son, George W. to mourn his loss. He was a Mason for many years, and his remains were placed away with the honors of that order. The funeral services were conducted at the family home by Elder T. J. Scully, on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and the remains were interred in the I.O.O.F. cemetery. To the bereaved widow and son and relatives, we extend our heartfelt sympathies.


We desire to extend to the friends and neighbors who were so kind to us during the last illness of our beloved husband and father, and who by their many acts of love made his last moments peaceful, our sincerest and heartfelt thanks. We say, God Bless You. Mrs. Leora Chenoweth, George W. Chenoweth. Submitted byTom Agan.

WORRELL, Ella, The Orleans Progress (March 25, 1897) Death Notice
Ella, wife of Newton Worrell, died last Sunday evening at eleven o'clock, of heart disease, at the family home in Salem. she had been experiencing frequent attacks of heart trouble during the past year, and came near dying while visiting in this city about a year ago. The family had retired and were sleeping when Mrs. Worrell awoke her husband and told him she was having another spell with her heart. Mr. Worrell hastily dressed and ran for a physician, and when he returned found his wife a corpse. The remains were sent to this city and taken to the home of C. P. Munger, where funeral services were conducted by Eld. T. J. Scully, on Tuesday, at eleven o'clock a.m. and the remains were interred in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery. Deceased was thirty-five years of age, and she leaves a husband and three children to mourn her departure. Submitted byTom Agan.

LINDLEY, Johnnie, The Orleans Progress (March 25, 1897) Death Notice
Johnnie, son of John T. Lindley, died of pneumonia fever last Monday morning at the family home, three and one-half miles southwest of Orleans, after an illness of four weeks. He was twenty one years of age, and was one of the brightest and most promising young men of the neighborhood. He was a favorite at home and among all his acquaintances, and his loss will be deeply felt in that community. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Watson, of Chambersburg, on Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock, and the remains were interred in the cemetery at Old Union. To the bereaved parents, relatives and friends the PROGRESS expresses deep sympathy. Submitted byTom Agan.

OLDHAM, Charles W., The Orleans Progress (April 8, 1897) Death Notice
The mantle of gloom was spread over our little city last Tuesday morning when it was announced that Charles W. Oldham was dead.
He had been a sufferer from Brights disease and stomach troubles for several years, but had managed to look after his extensive business affairs until within the last three months, during all of latter time being confined to his home.
He suffered long and bore it patiently, and the end came peacefully on Tuesday morning, April 6th, 1897, at seven o'clock. While he was cognizant of the fact that his time was short, and his family fully aware of his condition, his death was even more sudden than was expected.
He was one of our most enterprising business men, and leaves behind him a record for honesty, fairness and manliness that is worthy of emulation.
He was born Nov. 27th, 1844 and at his death was aged 52 years, 4 months and 9 days. He leaves a wife, three sons and one daughter to mourn his departure. In his death the widow loses a kind and loving husband, the children an indulgent and honored parent, and the community a respected and law-abiding citizen.
The remains were taken to Paoli on the 9:45 train, on Wednesday, and immediately conveyed to the cemetery where they were consigned to the grave beside his children who had preceded him. A short service was conducted at the cemetery.
To the bereaved wife, children and relatives, the PROGRESS extends its heartfelt sympathy.


We desire to tender our heartfelt thanks to all the dear friends who showered kindly acts upon our dear husband and father during his last illness, and so nobly assisted us during our bereavement. Also, we desire to thank the train and station employees of the Monon for favors. Mrs. C. W. Oldham and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

STEPHENS, Louella, The Orleans Progress (April 22, 1897) Death Notice
Louella Stephens was born January 13, 1869, she departed this life April 16, 1897, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Ziba Murray, Orleans, Indiana. Early in life, at the age of eleven years, obeyed the Gospel. She at that time united with the Christian church; then in November last, when Bro. T. S. Hutson was with the Church of Christ, she cast her lot with them. Died in the triumphs of a living faith, leaving those dear by ties of kinship and friendship to miss her. Funeral services were conducted by Bro. E. C. Richardson in the presence of a large concourse of very warm friends. At last we laid her at rest in the beautiful cemetery at Orleans to await the Lord's coming. Submitted byTom Agan.

GIBBONS, Nellie, The Orleans Progress (April 22, 1897) Death Notice
John Gibbons received a message yesterday morning from Indianapolis, stating that his daughter, Miss Nellie, who had undergone a surgical operation for a tumor, was very low. He left at once for that city on the 9:42 train.
Later - Word was received this morning that Miss Nellie is dead. The remains will be here at 5 o'clock this afternoon.

The Orleans Progress (April 29, 1897) Obituary
Miss Nellie Gibbons was born at Salem, Ind. on the 23rd day of August, 1873; departed this life at Indianapolis, Ind., on the 23rd day of April, 1897.
Miss Nellie was the fifth child of seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. John Gibbons, five of whom had already preceded Nellie to that beautiful land where the soul of the redeemed is perfectly satisfied. Mr. Fred Gibbons is the only remaining child left to bless and comfort the declining years of these often bereaved parents. Although compelled, by the inexorable law of destiny, to consign the bodies of their beloved children to the earth, one after the other, they have had the glorious privilege of resigning their precious souls to God of whom they are a part, and to have the saddened but comforting memory of the loving smile, the kindly word and the affectionate caress to cherish in their hearts as they journey through this pilgrimage to the other country, where children and parents will be reunited never to be separated.
Miss Nellie was never of a strong and vigorous constitution, hence, she was an easy victim to disease. What she lost in bodily health was simply repaid in beauty and grandeur of character; to know her was to love her, generous and kind to a fault, considerate of others pleasure and self sacrificing to the extent of abnegation. She was sympathetic and amiable. She extended sympathy where ever and when ever it was necessary and her unassuming manners attracted the admiration of all with whom she came in contact. This may be said of her character. Not only for a few years, but for the duration of her while life.
She possessed a reverent disposition for sacred things and her love for her mother, father and brother was evinced by the utmost esteem and affection.
She united with the M. E. Church at Bethel, near Lebanon, Ind., nearly five years ago and was happily converted at new Albany, Ind., about two years ago at an evangelistic revival conducted by the Rev. Harrison and wife.
When her father determined to permanently locate his family residence at Orleans, Miss Nellie transferred her church membership here and also became a member of the Epworth League. She was particularly adapted and qualified to assist in the social and musical features of church work. Her graceful manner, kind word and pleasant smile were a benediction. She dearly loved music and flowers. The good, the true and beautiful hid from her mind the little imperfections that mar and dwarf the pleasure of life.
As has been intimated, Miss Nellie's health was always inclined to delicacy, but her fatal sickness only developed about 12 months since. For that length of time she has almost continuously suffered with intense pain. She was afflicted with an ovarian tumor and her suffering became so excruciating that she became reconciled to place herself under the hand of a skill physician and surgeon on Indianapolis for treatment. Four weeks ago Nellie was taken by her father to Dr. Eastman, at Indianapolis, who after preparing her for so far as human knowledge could discern for the fearful ordeal of surgical operation, the test was made Saturday morning. The kind surgeon found that her disease had become so far advanced that her recovery would prove extremely doubtful. His prognosis proved too true, for she peacefully passed away.
Miss Nellie fully appreciated the desperateness of her chance of life and was fully prepared for the change if it should come.
Her loving mother and father were with her when she entered the valley of the shadows and when their loving hearts and hands could do no more she quickly resigned herself into the hands of her blessed Lord and Master who took her unto Himself.
She spoke kindly to and of her surgeon and of her nurses.
She said not to grieve for herself or a love of life, but her principle regret seemed to be that her parents and brother would sorrow because of her departure. Tender and sympathizing in life, loving and compassionate in death.
To the bereaved parents and brother we say grieve not for Nellie. She is happier now than mortal can ever be. Submitted by Tom Agan.

MARTIN, Nora, The Orleans Progress (April 29, 1897) Death Notice
Died, at the home of James A. Martin, his sister, Miss Nora Martin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac K. Martin, of Stampers Creek. The angels have visited our house and taken from us our dear daughter and sister, which leaves a vacant place at out table and a vacant place in our heart, which never can be filled. Nora was born Dec. 2, 1870; died April 25, 1897, aged 26 years, 4 months and 23 days. She united with the Regular Baptist church in 1893 and since then has been a devoted christian, a loving daughter and a kind sister. She bore all of her sickness and suffering with patience and never murmured. She had hopes of recovering until about six days ago, where she told us that she would have to leave us, that she loved us all, but if it was the Lord's will she wasn't afraid to die, and hoped that we all would meet her in a brighter land where there would be nor more such sorrow and suffering as she has had to contend with here on earth. She leaves an aged father, mother, three brothers and three sisters, besides a host of friends and relatives to mourn her loss. The funeral services were conducted at the home of the brother of the deceased, James A. Martin, by Rev. C. W. Radcliffe, on Tuesday morning at nine o'clock, and the remains taken to Paoli for interment in the cemetery at that place.

We desire to express our sincere thanks to the kind friends who did us so many acts of friendship and love during the last illness of our loving daughter. I. K. Martin and Family. Submitted byTom Agan.

BURNETT, Jonathan, The Orleans Progress (May 6, 1897) Death Notice
Jonathan Burnett, colored, a resident of this city, died at Bedford, last Saturday evening, of pneumonia fever, aged forty two years. His remains were taken to Paoli on Sunday and were laid to rest at Newberry Friends cemetery on Monday. Submitted byTom Agan.

LANE (Ferguson), Thomas, The Orleans Progress (May 13, 1897) Death Notice
Thomas Lane, sometimes known as Thomas Ferguson, a Washington county pauper, was run over and killed by the early morning Monon train at lost River bridge last Friday. The train people say he was crawling on the bridge and they thought he was a hog until it was too late to stop the train. The pony trucks ran over him, butting off both legs above the knees. The train had to be backed before he could be gotten out. The unfortunate man was brought on to Paoli and taken to the Padgett house, where he died shortly after. He was probably trying to get to the Orange County Poor House. He had been an inmate of the Washington County Infirmary, but disliked the fare furnished. There are some indications that he was trying to commit suicide, for on the evening before he was killed the train men had to drag him off the track near the Stines residence. Lane was at one time well to do and lived near Campbellsburg, and it is said he now has relatives living in that neighborhood who are well fixed, but they declined to bear any part of the expenses and the remains were buried in the Potters Field at the Poor Farm, on Saturday morning, at the expense of the county. This makes three persons killed on the Branch by No. 59 within the last twelve months, the first a negro woman, then the fruit tree trimmer. Submitted byTom Agan.

LYNN, Martha, The Orleans Progress (May 20, 1897) Death Notice
Died - Martha, wife of William D. Lynn, at the home near Bromer last Monday evening at about eight o'clock. she was seventy-two years of age and was a good, Christian woman. A husband and four children survive her. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. J. Howard and the remains interred at Livonia, immediately afterward. To the bereaved ones the PROGRESS extends sincere sympathy. Submitted byTom Agan.

GARDINER, Emma Wible, The Orleans Progress (May 20, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Emma Wible Gardiner died at Livonia at noon last Saturday ans was buried Sunday afternoon after funeral services at the Presbyterian church in that village. She had been married but one month and the same minister who performed the marriage ceremony preached the funeral. She was a well known and prominent young lady. Her father was B. F. Wible, of Stampers Creek township. Submitted byTom Agan.

TAYLOR, Eleazor H., The Orleans Progress (June 3, 1897) Death Notice
With the dawning of a new day the spirit of Eleazor H. Taylor departed from the body and returned to the God who gave it.
He died at 5:20 o'clock last Friday morning, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. He was the father of ten children, all of whom have preceded him to the world beyond.
He was one of the early founders of Methodism in Orleans, and was a member of the Methodist church for over seventy years, giving freely of his money and time to the cause of religion.
For the past two or three years he had been unable to attend divine service as was his custom in former years, on account of his rapidily declining health, and during the last two weeks of his illness he was confined to his bed all of the time.
He died peacefully and on Sunday, at about the noon hour his remains were placed beneath the sod and besides those of his wife, in Green Hill cemetery.
The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. R. A. Kemp, of Vevay, assisted by Rev's. Elrod, of Ellettsville; Hutchison, of Mitchell, and Welker, of this city. Submitted byTom Agan.

MURRAY, Isaac, The Orleans Progress (June 24, 1897) Death Notice
Isaac Murray died last Monday morning at the family home several miles northeast of this city, aged 67 years. He received a stoke of paralysis from the effect of which he died in a short time. This was the second stroke, the first one was along in the winter. An hour previous to his death he was feeling unusually well and was chatting freely with his family. He leaves a widow and five children. The funeral services were conducted by Eld. T. J. Scully at Liberty church on Tuesday afternoon, and the remains interred in the cemetery at that place. Submitted byTom Agan.

GALLION, Matilda, The Orleans Progress (June 24, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Matilda Gallion, mother of A. L. and Losson Gallion, died last Thursday evening, of a complication of diseases. She was seventy-six years of age. She had suffered four separate strokes of paralysis, the first one coming about sixteen years ago. later, she was attacked by lagrippe, which finally brought on consumption, resulting in her death. The remains were taken to Medora last Saturday for interment. Submitted byTom Agan.

POINDEXTER, Elizabeth, The Orleans Progress (July 22, 1897) Death Notice
Mrs. Elizabeth Poindexter died last Thursday evening at about 6:30 o'clock of paralysis of the heart. He had been down town to make some purchases and when in front of the residence of J. F. McCoy was stricken. She was induced to come in on the porch and take a chair and sit down to rest before proceeding further on her way home. She had hardly sat down until she was dead, living less than five minutes after receiving the stroke. She was seventy years of age, and leaves three daughters and two sons to mourn her loss. The funeral services were conducted on Sunday morning at 10 o'clock at Liberty church by Eld. T. J. Scully, and the remains interred in Liberty cemetery. The PROGRESS sympathizes with the bereaved children and relatives. Submitted byTom Agan.

PADGETT, Isaac, The Orleans Progress (August 5, 1897) Death Notice
Isaac Padgett, aged thirty five years, unmarried, son of James Padgett, committed suicide last Monday morning by cutting his throat with a razor, severing the jugular vien and windpipe. He had undergone a lingering spell of sickness from typhoid fever, and about four days ago, while at work was over heated. This combination unbalanced his mind and caused him to commit the rash act. The young man lived with his parents one and one half miles northeast of Paoli. Submitted byTom Agan.