Orange County Obituaries
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
BARNARD, Martha Elizabeth (Martin)
In this manner of earthy living Martha Elizabeth (Martin) Barnard prepared herself for an eternal living after death. As the daughter of Samuel and Sarah E. (Clements) Martin, she was born near this place November 9, 1864, and grew to womanhood here. On October 11, 1883, she was married to William Barnard and into their home was born one daughter, now Mrs. Ella Haney of Orleans. She, with her husband and daughter, resided near this place (Pleasant Grove) until about 1920, when they removed to Orleans. While living here, though not a recorded member of this church, she, with her family, was a regular attendant at the services of this church, appreciated its teachings, and rejoiced with its membership in the growth and the upbuilding of the Master's Kingdom by its influence. On July 19, 1940, the husband and companion of 57 years was called away, and her loss was immeasurable. She mourned his passing with the hopes that she soon might meet again with him. On June 30, 1941, she suffered a stroke, from which she never recovered, lingering on in the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Lona Harmon of Bedford, until Sunday evening, January 18, 1942, when she too passed to be with her husband and Savior at the age of 77 years, 2 months and 8 days. She leaves of her immediate family, the one daughter, Mrs. Ella Haney of Orleans; one granddaughter, Mrs. Harmon, of Bedford in whose home came her passing; one great-granddaughter, Martha Harmon of Bedford; one step-grandson, Troy Haney and one step great-grandson, Hugh Haney of Indianapolis; one brother, William R. Martin of this vicinity, one half-brother, Sherman Martin of Hardinsburg and one half-sister, Mrs. Mariar Moneyhan, residing near Paoli. With these are many relatives and the neighbors who have known her here and Orleans
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
BROCK, William J.
William J. Brock, 85, a retired farmer, died Wednesday night at the Dunn Memorial Hospital where he was admitted that day for treatment. The body was removed to the Ochs Funeral Home for burial preparation and will lie in state there. Survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Aldon Cogswell, Mitchell, Mrs. Harold Hall, Orleans, Mrs. Clyde Filler, Monmouth, Ill.; two sons, John W. Brock, Glenwood Springs, Colo., and Fred Brock, Bloomington; four brothers, Jack Brock, South Bend, Alvin and James Brock, Martinsville, and George Brock of Alexandria. His wife preceded him in death in 1941. Funeral arrangements are not yet completed but will be held at the Ochs Funeral Home.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
CHISM, James W.
James W. Chism passed away at his home three miles east of Orleans on last Saturday afternoon near one o'clock, after only a few days illness from pneumonia. He was 70 years of age. His brief illness and death was quite a shock to his family and friends, as on the previous Wednesday he had been in town and had gone to the physician for medicine. Mr. Chism was born and reared in this county and had spent his entire life in the vicinity in which he died. He had always followed the farming profession and had been quite successful in this vocation, making every neighbor and acquaintance his friend. He is survived by his companion and one daughter, Mr. C. L. Widener, of Indianapolis; one son, Edmund L. Chism; one granddaughter; one grandson; and one great-granddaughter. Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at the home in charge of Rev. Warren Sanders. Burial was made in Fairview Cemetery in Orleans.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Thoughtful, helpful, jovial, loving, forgiving, faith in mankind and a profound belief in the Divinity, are qualities which make up a good life and these qualities were possessed by Lora Fay, daughter of James T. and Owasso Lynn Cunningham, born February 1, 1891, in Lawrence County, Indiana. She grew up near Orleans and graduated from high school with the class of 1912. On June 18, 1922 she was baptized, uniting with the Liberty Church. After moving to Orleans she attended the Christian Church. Being the oldest of eight children, namely: Marion of Paoli, Ray of Pekin, Ruth and Iwa Wolfe in the home, Haseltine Wolfe living in Bakersfield, California, Owasso Marley residing in Evansville, and John of Orleans. Lora assumed a protective role. The same thoughts was given a niece, Doris Robbins, and a great niece, Eleanor Kay Robbins, living in the home. This great concern for her family made her happiest when their sun shone bright and saddest when the clouds appeared for them. For herself, she asked but little. Having worked with, and for, the public in this locality most of her life, she knew and was interested in the people and their welfare. Six months ago she had to give up her work, and although every effort was made to regain her health, she steadily grew worse, though never losing the courage that was characteristic of her. She passed away at her home August 24, at 11:45 p.m., age 56 years, 6 months, and 23 days. Besides the brothers, sisters and nieces above mentioned, she will be sadly missed by several other nieces and nephews and a host of friends.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Funeral services for Miss Ola Elrod will be conducted tomorrow, Friday, afternoon at 1:30 at the Old Union United Brethren Church, with Rev. Robert Koenig officiating, assisted by Rev. G. J. Pickett. Burial will be in the adjoining cemetery. Miss Elrod, teacher in the second grade of the local school, died Tuesday afternoon about one o'clock in the Ochs ambulance enroute to the Bedford Hospital, following a stroke suffered about an hour before in the lower hall at the Central School building. Her death was a shock to the entire community, as she had complained of no illness prior to that time. She was one of six children born to John F. and Lucy Huddelson Elrod, October 23, 1893, in the vicinity of old Union. Her parents and one brother, Fred, and two sisters, Cora and Mary, preceded her in death, the latter just a year ago, on January 10. Two brothers, Harry Elrod of near Orleans, and Claude R. Elrod, Decatur, Ill. survive. Miss Elrod attended Orleans High School, graduating with highest honors in the class of 1913. She was also a graduate of Indiana University. Starting in 1914, she had taught in the Indiana grade schools for about thirty years, seventeen of which had been in the Orleans school. Others were at Plymouth, Bloomington and Oolitic. While unable for a time to serve as a full time teacher because of illness in the home, she was a substitute teacher. Also Miss Elrod served as a telephone operator in the local exchange, having been on duty there just last Saturday and Sunday. Although quiet and unassuming, she was very ambitious and energetic and was loved by her pupils and all who knew her. She was a member of the Old Union United Brethren Church, and attended the Orleans Methodist Church. Survivors with the brothers are two nephews, Gerald Elrod of Orleans and Loren E. Elrod, Decatur, Ill., two great nephews, two great nieces, an uncle, W. M. Huddelson, Glendale, Calif., and several cousins.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
HARDMAN, Stanley
Stanley Hardman, 25 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hardman, east of Orleans, passed away on last Saturday morning shortly before six o'clock, following an illness which covered a number of years. He had been in a serious condition since last October. Stanley graduated from the Orleans High School with the class of '29, and it is with much regret that these classmates have followed his losing fight for health. He was a fine young man in every way and his family has the deepest sympathy of a large number of friends. He was also a member of the Leipsic U. B. Church. Surviving are the parents, one sister, Ruth, and two brothers, Forrest and Myron. Funeral services were held at the Leipsic Church on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, in charge of Rev. Paul Sherrill, of Louisville, and Rev. Barker, pastor of the church. Interment followed in the Liberty Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
JONES, Verne Rochester School Principal Dies.
Mrs. Glenn Simmons was in Paoli Wednesday afternoon to attend the funeral services of Verne Jones, held at the Friends Church. Mr. Jones, a native of Paoli, resided in Rochester, Indiana, where he had served for 22 years as principal of the schools there. His death due to a heart attack occurred at his home last Saturday. Following services at Rochester on Tuesday, the remains were brought to Paoli for final rites and burial. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Edna Hawkins Jones, and one son, Kenneth Charles Jones of Rochester, and the father, Charles Jones of Paoli. Interment was made in the Community Cemetery, Paoli.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
KAY, John
John Kay, better known to his many friends here as "Johnny," passed away at the home of Mrs. Lillie Apple, where he and Mrs. Kay resided, last night about 6:45 o'clock, the result of a heart attack. He had been ill the past two weeks, first suffering from a severe case of influenza and later developing pneumonia. He was 64 years of age. Mr. Kay was born and reared in Fredericksburg, later moving to New Albany, where he and Mrs. Kay have resided for about thirty years. Mr. Kay has spent many years on the road as a salesman and the past eight years has been employed at the Wheeler-Foutch Company, wholesale grocers, as desk salesman. During his residence here he has made innumerable friends who admired him for his true worth and held him in high esteem. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church at New Albany and was also affiliated with the I. O. O. F. Lodge there. Surviving are his companion, one daughter, Mrs. Ruth Gluck of Cleveland, Ohio; four sisters, Mrs. Betty DeWeese of Cincinnati, Ohio, Mrs. Carrie Watts of Milltown, Ind., Mrs. Harry Allen and Miss Grace Kay of Fredericksburg, and one grandson. The body will lie in state at the Ochs Funeral Home until one o'clock Friday afternoon, and will then be removed to the home of the sister, Mrs. Allen in Fredericksburg. From there it will be taken to New Albany for funeral services and burial, which will be held Sunday. Cemetery, Paoli.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
LEWIS, Faith Paoli, Ind. Sept. 24 - Despondent over leaving a farm where she had lived for 23 years, Mrs. Faith Lewis, 58, wife of Glenn Lewis, took her life yesterday in a barn east of Paoli. Her husband found the body hanging from rafters between two corn cribs 10 minutes after death occurred from strangulation. Acting Coroner E. O. Throop said a towel had been placed around the throat, before the rope was adjusted, to prevent a broken neck. She apparently had stepped from a hay frame. The Lewises' were to move Thursday to Orleans after selling their farm to Orvin Herrell of Eminence, Ky.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
McLEAN, John Wesley
John Wesley McLean, fourth son of Isaiah and Margaret Jane McCullough McLean, was born October 29, 1870, on the McLean homestead southeast of Orleans, which was erected by the grandfather, one of the early pioneers in this county. At the age of four, John and his four brothers were bereft of a father. Under the guidance of their noble mother they grew to manhood and became respectable citizens of this community. In young manhood he became a member of the Island Methodist Church in North East Township. When this church was disbanded his membership was transferred to the Orleans Methodist Church, where it remained. On October 18, 1895, he was united in marriage to Nora Tegarden and they established a happy home. In 1900 they adopted a five year old child, Dessie Clipp, who was reared by them and given all the love and care of an own daughter. On April 8, 1931, this companionship was broken by the death of his wife. She had been ill for a long period of time and he had given her his faithful attention and care. After her death, his only grandson, Garold Elrod, of whom he was very proud, was much comfort to him and lived with him. Later he marred Mrs. Anna Moore and they remained at the farm home which he and Nora had built in 1908. When her health failed, they moved near Paoli to be near her children. Over three years ago, Anna became an invalid and again he gave his devotion and care for her every comfort. Although in failing health for several months, he was able to go about as usual. While in Paoli on Friday he became ill. On Sunday he suffered a stroke and death resulted Thursday afternoon, June 9, 1950, at the age of 79 years, 7 months and 9 days. He is the last of his family; his mother and four brothers having preceded him in death. One niece, Lois McLean, is the only immediate member of the early pioneer family. In his passing he leaves to mourn his wife, Anna; the daughter, Mrs. Harry Elrod; a grandson, Garold Elrod; two great grandsons, Freddy and Danny Elrod; three step children, Mrs. Estil Coulter and Charles Moore of Paoli, and Mrs. Mabel Rairdon of Bedford; one niece, Lois McLean; three cousins, I. V. Baker of Orleans, L. A. Roach of Sacramento, California, and Charles Martin of (Plainfield), New Jersey; and friends.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
MILLER, William
William Miller, 80 years old, died at his home near Claysville Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock, following a very short illness from pneumonia. He was the uncle of Harrison and Brade Miller and Mrs. George Kress of Orleans. Mr. Miller was born and reared and spent his entire life in and near the community in which he died, and was well known and liked by a large number of friends and neighbors during the eighty years he had lived. He was a member of the Baptist Church. Surviving are one son and two daughters, and two sisters, Mrs. Lon Bledsoe, of Orleans, and Mrs. Lemuel Smith, of Raub, Indiana. Funeral services were held at the Baptist Church here on Thursday morning, in charge of the church pastor, with burial in Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
PARISH, Susie Roach Warren
Again death has come to one of our pioneer families of Orange County, in the passing of Susie Roach Warren. She was born into the home of William and Mary Phillips Roach on June 4, 1875, where she grew to womanhood with nine other brothers and sisters. Susie, as everyone called her, was of a friendly and happy disposition. Her cherry "hello" will be remembered long after her decease. She was united in marriage to Arrie E. Warren of the same community on November 20, 1895, with whom she established a home in sight of her old family home. She also established a church home with her husband at the Livonia Baptist Church. To this union was born a daughter, Mrs. Earl Lee of Bromer, Indiana. In the home existed joy and happiness until the death of her husband on December 12, 1908. But in this great bereavement Susie did not give up. She immediately became both father and mother to this daughter. She remained a widow until 1914 when she married Louie E. Parish who passed away October 30, 1938. Mrs. Warren took sick at Orleans but removed to Bromer where the loving hands of her daughter and daughter's husband and granddaughter did every thing possible to care for her. With all this care, she passed away December 6, 1946. She leaves to mourn her departure Mrs. Lee and husband, one granddaughter and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Dalton, parents of her great-grandchild, Jackie Lee, whom she loved dearly; also one brother, Alexander Roach of Paoli. Eight brothers and sisters having preceded her in death.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
PICKENS, Irene Qualkinbush
Irene Qualkinbush Pickens was the youngest of a family of three children who came into the rural home of Harley and Allie Lindley Qualkinbush a few miles east of Paoli. She was born September 2, 1918, and throughout her brief life with her parents, brother and sister, she was obedient, industrious, and beloved. Following her common school education, she entered Paoli High School and graduated there with the Class of 1936. She then entered Indiana Central College at Indianapolis and upon receipt of her diploma two years later, she became a teacher, successfully completing one year of teaching at Moulder, and one at Willow Creek, and then passing to the work of the fifth, and sixth grade in the Paoli City Schools, where she was completing her second year's work at the time of her fatal accident on January 14, 1942. It is not unjust to praise her work as a teacher. The everlasting evidence of her success has already come from the hearts of her former pupils and their parents during the darkening days of her fatal illness. She loved them, and they loved her; and her memory will be kept green as they grow old. On November 1, 1941, she was united in marriage to Loren Pickens, of Orleans, and with him founded a new home - a home of love and promise, a few miles north of Paoli. They looked forward to new successes and a happy life. She was a perfect farm wife, schooled in her home life, where a woman's place in farm life was what she could do. From childhood her father loved to name her "Toots," and with him, she plowed, she sowed, she reaped; worthy of the love and the confidence which her parents gave to her. And ever with a "Good-bye, Ma'am and Dad; I'll be seeing you," she made her frequent visits home, happy and interested in the home of her childhood and equally proud of her own. Some six years ago, she became a member of the Lick Creek Friends Church and at once became a teacher in the Sunday School there, continuing such service until since her marriage. But she did not forget her church, nor her Sunday School, and often inquired of its action and expressed her love for its congregation. The mystery of her fatal accident may never be known, but the world knows that all the medical skill and loving hands could do was done for her recovery. Her passing from us came at 9:30 A.M., Saturday, January 31, 1942, leaving to mourn the companion to whom she pledged her loyalty only three months since; the bereaved father and mother; one sister, Mrs. Helen Cadle, and one brother, Loren Qualkinbush, all residing in this vicinity. With these are many near relatives, fellow teachers, pupils and parents, friends and acquaintances, whose mere acquaintance turned to love and respect.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
James M. Pickens was one of three children of the family of Volney and Margaret Wells Pickens, and now the last of this early Christian family of the Mt. Pleasant vicinity. Here he was born January 13, 1869, and grew to manhood in that vicinity, a worthy citizen, a friendly neighbor and associate, and a member of the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church. In 1888 he was united in marriage to Miss Altha Marshall, residing near, and with her they became the parents of two sons, viz, Ernest, now of Orleans, and Ray, of Mitchell. This companionship and the mother of these two sons died in 1894. On October 27, 1897 he was again married, to Miss Mary Ethel Baker, who with their one daughter, Mrs. Altha Mae Busick, now reside here. With this bereaved companion, the two sons, and the one daughter, there are six grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, one nephew, Earl Pickens of Mitchell, and numerous other relatives from one of the older families of the county. In 1909 he became associated with the Indianapolis Star newspaper circulation, and was in charge of that work at Mitchell, Indiana. In 1928 he returned to Orleans in the same service, continuing in this work until the moment of his tragic death, occurring while in the performance of his duty on February 7, 1947, at the age of 78 years, 24 days. Following his removal to Mitchell he transferred his church affiliation to the Baptist Church at that place, and carried this membership there until his death. Other than his Church relationship, he was a member of the Modern Woodmen Lodge, carrying his fraternal obligation with the sacredness of his church. In his life of almost four-score years he did patiently and well that which was nearest his hand, the goodness of which was ever nearest his heart. In the home, in the church, to his companion, daughter, sons and grandchildren, he gave of the love and the care and the counsel so much needed, and which he could so well give. His fondness for his family, his ever anxious moments for and in their behalf, were the finer attributes of his life. These were a part of his life - the life of a Commonplace kind of Man as was he. In Death he leaves the assurance that a new day and a new world has unfolded its beauty to him, and that Heaven is today his eternal home.
PICKENS, James M. James M. Pickens Meets Tragic Death
James M. Pickens, 78, owner and operator of a news stand here for a number of years, was killed instantly last Friday morning when struck by a southbound fast Monon freight train No. 71, when it passed through here at 6:40 o'clock. The accident occurred at the crossing between the Jot Watson and Harold Strange homes, about a half block north of Mr. Pickens' home in North Lincoln St., when he attempted to cross while delivering his newspapers. He was struck from the left side of the Diesel engine and thrown about thirty feet on the right-of-way, the blow fracturing the skull in three places. He also suffered a broken neck. The body was removed to the Ochs Funeral Home where it was prepared for burial. Later the remains were removed to the family residence where they lay in state until Sunday afternoon when they were returned to the funeral home for the last rites. These were conducted at 2:30 o'clock with the Rev. Jas. L. Monroe, pastor of the Orleans Baptist church, in charge. Burial was made in the Fairview cemetery. Mr. Pickens was born and reared in Orange County and followed the vocation of farming until 1909 when he moved with his family to Mitchell where he opened a new agency. In 1928 he came to Orleans to set up the same kind of agency and had continued in this business until the time of his death. Despite his advancing years, he was unusually active and always assisted his carriers in the distribution of the papers. He was a member of the Mitchell Baptist Church and also of the Mitchell Modern Woodmen Fraternal Order. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Ethel Baker Pickens; two sons, Ray Pickens of Mitchell, and Ernest Pickens of Orleans; one daughter, Mrs. Will M. Busick of Orleans; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren and one nephew, Earl Pickens, residing west of Orleans.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
PICKETT, Mary Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth Pickett, 84 years old, passed away Sunday morning, December 23rd, at the home of her niece, Mrs. Anna Lindsey, near Orleans. She had been in failing health for several years, but the immediate cause of her death was pneumonia which she had contracted three days previous. She is survived by two brothers, and one sister, and the niece, Mrs. Lindsey with whom she had made her home for 21 years. Funeral services were Tuesday morning at 10:30, at the Tunnelton Church, with burial in the Tunnelton Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
RICHARDSON, Mollie Garfield Chamberlain
Mollie Garfield Chamberlain was born July 8, 1881, near Campbellsburg, Ind., the daughter of William and Mary Ada Chamberlain, and departed this life suddenly at her home in Orleans on December 2, 1935, aged 54 years, 4 months and 26 days. She was united with the Lost River Baptist Church at Claysville in May, 1898, and was dismissed by letter to the first Baptist Church of Orleans February 4, 1922. She was united in marriage to Will Richardson on August 9, 1905. To this union nine children were born, all of whom are living. She has lived a devout Christian life and has striven at all times to lead her family and others in the path of righteousness and has lived to see her husband and all of her children except two come into the church. Outside of her family, her church came before all other things. To know her was to love her. The example of her Christian life will be an inspiration for all these she has left behind. Her father and mother, one brother, Frank, and one sister, Mrs. Ethel Gould, have preceded her in death. She leaves to mourn their loss a loving husband and nine children, Roberta A., Harold Vance, William C., Robert D. and Mary Elizabeth, at home; Donald W. of Orleans; Marjorie E. Hightower, Ada M. and Edwin H., of Kokomo, Ind.; three grandchildren, Donald W. and Shirley Ann Richardson, of Orleans, and Carolyn Jean Hightower, of Kokomo; five brothers, Earl N. and B. H. Chamberlain, of Valley Station, Ky., William O. Chamberlain, of Bloomfield, A. Hayes Chamberlain, of Salem, and Delbert W. Chamberlain, of Roachdale, Ind.; seven sisters, Mrs. Zella Cathcart and Mrs. Jennie Kemp, of Campbellsburg, Ind., Mrs. Florence Dennis, of Oxonia, Ind., Mrs. Mattie Huff, of Lafayette, Ind., Mrs. Bessie Kennedy, of Valley Station, Ky., Mrs. Ellen Wright, of Livonia, Ind., and Mrs. Mabel Hayes, of Orleans; one daughter-in-law, Mrs. Donald Richardson, of Orleans; and one son-in-law Hubert Hightower, of Kokomo, Ind.; besides a host of other relatives and friends.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
ROSE, Ora Priscilla Ora Priscilla Rose who was the daughter of the late John H. and Nancy Caroline McCoy, was born at Syria, Indiana, November 16, 1881, and who early in life, upon the death of her mother, assumed the duties of a home-keeper for her father. On July 2, 1904 she was married to Charles Strange, and from this union there was born two sons, Gilbert Lee, now residing at South Bend, Indiana, and who today mourns the mother's passing, and Everett, whose death came at the age of four years. She was later married to Edward Rose, November 4, 1920, and during this Companionship they have made their home at this place (Orleans). Following the death of her half-sister, Mrs. Gladys Faubian, Mr. and Mrs. Rose took into their home a small daughter, Betty Faubian, to whom she has given a mother's care and guidance from the age of two years to that of young womanhood and she today joins with companion and son in the grief of the passing of the only mother she has ever known and realized. Though for many years she has been a great sufferer, she bore her ills patiently, hoping to live for and with those she loved, but ever ready to do His bidding. And then came the call of her Master at 1:30 A.M. Saturday, December 30, 1939, it was then she could enter into eternal rest, free from all suffering and pain, and join with Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, and Son gone on before.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
SCARLETT, Bertha Marie
Bertha Marie Scarlett, daughter of James and Ida Miller Dawes, was born in Lawrence County, near Mitchell, Indiana, March 21, 1889, and died July 3, 1936, being at her death 47 years, 4 months and 13 days old. She was united in marriage to Homer Hawk in March, 1905. To this union five children were born, who survive, namely: Robert Hawk of New Albany, Wendell Hawk of Orleans, Claire Hawk, of Orleans, Martha Hawk, of New Albany, and Sarah Cain, of Orleans. Mr. Hawk having preceded her in death, she was united in marriage to Bruce Scarlett March 28, 1922, who survives her. She is also survived by her aged mother and step-father, Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Bledsaw, of Orleans; three brothers, Ora Dawes, of Eminence, Ind., Orval, of Mitchell, and Noble, of Orleans; one half-brother, Leroy Bledsaw, of Orleans; two half-sisters, Mrs. Mabel Bundy, of Orleans and Marlene Bledsaw, who preceded her in death April 29, 1923; also four grandchildren, Mary Catherine Hawk and Nola Marie Hawk, of New Albany, Ind., Peggy Bonnell Cain, of Orleans, and Donald Bruce Hawk of Orleans. She also leaves a number of nieces and nephews, as well as a host of other friends and relatives, who mourn her passing. She was converted at the Church of the Nazarene March 11, 1934 and became a member of the same on December 9, 1934.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
STINE, Fannie
Mrs. Fannie Stine, wife of Joseph Stine, died at her home two and one half miles south of Orleans on last Thursday night at nine o'clock after a prolonged illness. She was 78 years of age. The deceased, a native of Orange County, had spent her entire life here. She was a member of the Old Union Church. Survivors are her companion, one son, Omer and one daughter, Mrs. Lizzie Lindley, also two sisters, two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon at Old Union at 1:30 o'clock, with Rev. Leon Taylor in charge. Burial followed in the nearby cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
WRIGHT, Tessie O.
Mrs. Tessie O. Wright passed away at her home Tuesday, January 23, at 8:20 a.m., following a week's illness from a stroke suffered on Wednesday evening from which she never regained consciousness. Burial preparations were made at the Ochs Funeral Home, where the body lay in state prior to the funeral services conducted there this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock by Rev. Forrest E. Wilkin. Burial was made in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. The daughter of Perry and Ida Taylor Trinkle, she was born September 16, 1882, in Orange County. In 1899 she was married to Mr. Frank Wright of Orleans, and they were the parents of one daughter, Blanche, who survives. Mr. Wright preceded her in death January 11, 1941. Mrs. Wright was a member of the Leipsic United Brethren Church, but had attended the Orleans Christian Church since making this her home. She also was a member of the Auxiliary of Spanish-American Veterans. Surviving are the daughter, Mrs. Blanche Williams of Georgetown, Indiana; a granddaughter, Mrs. Marion Parker, Ft. Wayne; an aunt, Mrs. Brad Trinkle, and a cousin, Mrs. Oliver Kelley, both of Mitchell.
Courtesy of  Douglas Beaver
May 7, 1945, in the Fort Myers [Florida] News-Press newspaper:
Perry Preston Drake, 52-year-old truck driver for the Land O'Sun Dairies, was killed yesterday morning when his truck overturned near Murdock. He was headed for Venice with a load of ice cream when the accident occurred. A soldier who was riding with Drake was taken to the Venice hospital, but no reports were available as to his name or condition.
It was reported that the driver fell from the loaded vehicle which overturned, landed on the head and then rolled to an upright position pointing to Fort Myers. Lester R. Houghton, vice-president and manager of the dairy, said that damage to the truck was approximately $850.
Drake is survived by his wife, Lessie Drake, who lives in Bayshore. Lawrence A. Powell brought the man's body to Fort Myers and assisted in getting the wreck cleared away. The following funeral notice appeared May 8, 1945, in the Fort Myers [Florida] News-Press newspaper:
Funeral services for Perry Preston Drake, who was killed Sunday morning in an accident near Murdock, were held at the graveside in the Fort Myers Cemetery at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Employees from the Land O'Sun Dairy where Drake worked were pallbearers. The Rev. D. L. Jones of the Grace Avenue Methodist Church officiated. Lawrence A. Powell was in charge of funeral arrangements.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Roscoe E Smith, R R 3 Paoli, died unexpectedly last Thursday afternoon in downtown French Lick. Mr Smith, 77, had visited the office of a local doctor and purchased medicine at the drug store before he suddenly collapsed and died, arrarently as the result of a heart attack.
He was employed by the National Cash Register Co, of Dayton, Ohio before retirement. The Smiths moved to this community in 1952. He was a member of the Ames Chapel United Methodist Church. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at the Brosmer-Drabing Funeral Home with the Rev Ronald Lawhead officiation. Burial was in the Ames Chapel Cemetery.
His wife, Louella, preceded him in death in 1965. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Carrol Channell of Spring Valley, Ohio; a sister, Mrs. Leo Burk of Chicago, and three grandchildren.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Mrs. Lou Olive [Dolly] Lane, 88, a Springs Valley native, died December 23 at the Anderson Nursing Home near Danville, Illinois, where she had been a patient 15 months. Funeral services were held December 26 at the Honnold & Son Funeral Home, Sidell, Illinois, and interment was Monday at Ames Chapel Cemetery.
Before entering the nursing, Mrs. Lane had lived in Memphis, Tennessee, the past 49 years. The daughter of William H and Jennie Owens Bowman, she was born December 12, 1883. Survivors include two sons, Walter Lane of New Port Richie, Florida and Charles C Lane of Sidell, Illinois. Also surviving are a brother, William [Pete] Bowman of West Baden, five granchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Roqua F Flick, 71, died at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Sheridan [Indiana] Rest Home where he had been a patient for three months. His home was in Kokomo where he was a truck driver.
He was a member of the Indianapolis Moose Lodge.
The body was at Brosmer-Drabing Funeral Funeral Home until Wednesday when it was taken to the Cane Creek Christian Church where final rites were held at 11 a.m. Burial was in the church cemetery.
Formerly of this community, he was a son of the late Henry and Emma Flick.
He is survived by one son, Norman Flick of Denver, Colorado; four daughters, Mondilia Rickey of Plattsburg, N.Y., Mrs Virginia Sheely of Mountain Home, N.C., and Mrs. Synthie Bolton and Miss Tammy Flick, both of Kokomo, and a stepdaughter, Mrs Sheila McElfresh, also of Kokomo.
Other survivors are four brothers, Doyle Flick of California, Estel Flick of Plainfield, Basil Flick of Indianapolis and Scott Flick of Kokomo: four sisters, Mrs Fern Davis, R R 1, West Baden, Mrs Walker Goodpaster, R R 2, French Lick, and Mrs Frances Barton and Mrs Lura Foster, both of Kokomo; 10 grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.

Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Mrs Shirley M Spoonmore Frome, 50, died suddenly Tuesday afternoon, apparently from a heart attack. Mrs Fromme, who lived in Jasper, was stricken at about 3:00 p.m. and died before medical aid arrived.
A daughter of Ben and Martha Spoonmore, she was born in Orange County on August 18, 1921. She was graduated from French Lick High School in 1939.
She was preceded in death by her father. The funeral service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Becher and Son Mortuary in Jasper. Burial will be in Fairview Cemetery.
Surviving are her husband, Frank Fromme, Jr; a son, Ronald K Fromme, a daughter, Cheyeanne Fromme Toby, both of Jasper; her mother, Mrs Martha Spoonmore of French Lick; a sister, Mrs Ruth Turner of French Lick; a son-in-law and daughter-in-law, Joseph Toby and Loretta Frome; three grandchildren, and a niece.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Spring Valley Herald - December 1971
Mrs. Stelle Ethel Toler, 80 years of age, died at 6:00 p.m. on December 21 at the Orange County Hospital where she had been a patient for four weeks.
She is survived by a daughter, Mrs Edna O Wortinger, R R 1, French Lick, with whom she made her home. Also surviving are a half-brother, Ellsworth Wininger of Indianapolis: three half-sisters, Mrs Ray Jeffries and Mrs Grace Zoeller of Indianapolis and Mrs Minnie Parker of Muncie; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandson.
She was a member of the Red Quarry Christian Church. The funeral service was held at 11 a.m. Friday at the Brosmer-Drabing Funeral Home with the Rev. Bruce Grubaugh officiatting. Burial was in Mt Lebanon Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Spring Valley Herald - December 1971
Miss Hazel Powell, former teacher in schools of this area, died December 17 at Bloomington Hospital. Her home was in Stanford. Miss Powell, 61, had taught schools in Orange and Monroe Counties for 36 years.
Among her survivors are an adopted daughter, Aleta Powell, and a brother, Walter Powell. She was preceded in death by a brother and two sisters.
The funeral service was held December 20 at Liberty Baptist Church southwest of Mitchell. Internment was in the church cemetery
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Spring Valley Herald - December 1971
Mrs Forsee J Campbell, 63, died Wednesday morning at Kaiser Hospital in Bellflower, California. Her home was at 1656 Beechwood Avenue, Fullerton, California.
She was born January 21, 1908 in Dubois County, Indiana, a daughter of John and Rebecca Mills.
The funeral service was conducted Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at the McAulay and Suters Chapel in Fullerton, with the Rev. George Potter and the Rev. Ben Merold of Eastside Christian Church officiating. Burial was at Loma Vista Memorial Park.
Survivors are a son, Richard T Campbell of Fullerton; a daughter, Mrs Linda Hamrin of Hayden Lake, Idaho; a brother, Ezra Mills of Wolcott, Indiana; a half-sister Mrs Olis Clee Phillips of Fullerton, and two grandchildren.
Courtesy of  Sheila Flick
Spring Valley Herald - December 1971
Leslie B. "Jay" Waddell, 60, of Clarksville, died Sunday morning at the home of Harry Durbins in French Lick while on a visit. He operated a barbershop in Louisville.
The funeral service was held Wednesday at Johnson Funeral Home in Clarksville and burial was in Munfordville, Kentucky. Survivors include his wife, two sons, and a stepson.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
COX, Thomas J. Husband of Former Orleans Woman Dies in Kokomo News was received by Mrs. Nell Carter of the death last Friday of Thomas J. Cox, retired mail clerk, at his home in Kokomo. Mr. Cox will be remembered by many who had met him on visits here with Mrs. Cox, the former Miss Alta Ritter, of Orleans. They had formerly lived in Chicago until at this retirement they moved to Kokomo, his former home.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
The badly mangled body of Dee Gerkin, 38 years old, who was believed to have fallen from a train and run over, was found strewn along the Monon right-of-way a short distance north of Salem, Monday morning about seven o'clock.
A bridge contractor, Gilbert Gould of Campbellsburg, starting out to work, made the discovery. It was reported that first a leg was found near the reduction plant and further south along the track, the remainder of the body was discovered. An arm had been severed, the head badly crushed and the condition of the remainder of the body indicated that it had probably been dragged quite a distance by the train before it was thrown clear.
Further investigation led authorities to believe that a south bound train had killed Gerkin, but the number of the train is not known. Passenger train No. 3 and through freight trains No. 73 and No. 75 had passed along this point Sunday night and early Monday morning. The victim's wife, Mrs. Dorothy Gerkin, made the statement this morning that she believed he had boarded one of the freight trains at Mitchell, with the intention of coming to Orleans, unaware that it was a through train and did not stop here. When the train slowed down near Salem he attempted to alight and fell beneath the cars.
The dead man was identified by a letter on his person, addressed to him and sent by the Welfare Department of Lawrence County. According to a statement made by Mrs. M. L. Veatch, their representative, Gerkin had visited the welfare office some time ago and made application for blind assistance. She attempted to contact him later but was unable to do so and the letter asking him to call at the office again, was left at the home of his parents near Georgia. He had never responded to the letter. The remains were taken to the Robertson Funeral Home in Salem, the proprietor of which is the Washington County coroner. Mrs. Gerkin here was notified and went to Salem that afternoon to identify the body. The remains were later removed to the Ochs Funeral Home here and yesterday morning were taken to the home to lie in state until the funeral hour.
The deceased was born and reared in Martin County, the son of Ralph and Alice Gerkin. He spent his youth in the vicinity of his birth and on December 23, 1923, was married to Dorothy Easley. They established a home in Orleans and to their union were born three children, a daughter, Norma and two sons, Eugene and Richard. Together with his wife and three children he is survived by his father, a step-mother and one brother, Estel of Georgia. His mother and three sisters preceded him in death.
For eleven years after his marriage Mr. Gerkin was employed by the Monon railway on a track maintenance crew, but was forced to give up his work because his eyesight became impaired. Recognized as a talented fiddler, he was given an instructor's assignment in the W. P. A.'s educational program a few years ago. This he held for three years, until the program was discontinued. He was also recently employed in the tie yards of A. O. Brewer at Mitchell, but for the past few weeks had been with his father near Georgia. He was a member of the Orleans Baptist Church and here funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at two o'clock, in charge of Rev. R. M. Boston, the church pastor. Burial was in Fairview Cemetery.

Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
HALL, Ann Karlene
Ann Karlene Hall, oldest daughter of Karl and Ruth Hardman Hall, was born January 8th, 1943, at Leipsic, Indiana. Her happy childhood was broken by a fatal illness and she was taken from her earthly home on March 14th, 1949, at the age of six years and two and one half months.
But we can not speak of this as the tragedy of a life wholly unfulfilled, for in spite of Ann's being only a very little girl, she has left a strong pattern of living in the world that will always keep her with us.
On the 3rd of July, 1943, her life was dedicated to God in the United Brethren Church at Leipsic, Indiana, by the Reverend D. V. Davis. She loved her Sunday School and attended as long as her health permitted.
Karl and Ruth, recognizing the fact that their child was talented, had given her voice lessons for the past two years, and her friends had heard her singing over the Bloomington radio station. While her musical ability was greatly admired, her talent for making warm friendships endeared her even more to those about her. She will be sorely missed, not only by her little playmates, but just as much by countless older people who had become her big playmates.
In her own home she has been a sweet little mother to her adored younger sister, Janie, and to her baby brother, Frankie, playing cheerfully with them and watching lovingly over them before she became too ill. To her father and mother she was the beloved daughter.
And now, though only one spotless chapter of the little life was ever written, the book has been closed, for the call hath come unto Karl and Ruth, "Suffer thy little child to come unto Me, and forbid her not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
HENDERSHOTT, Mrs. Bert E. Sister of Cleatice Worrell Dies in Wyoming Word was received here Wednesday morning of the death of Mrs. Bert E. Hendershott of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Mrs. Hendershott was the daughter of the late William Newton and Ella Prather Worrell of this place. She has resided in Cheyenne for the past eighteen years.
She leaves to mourn her passing, her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Edward Watson of Kansas City, Mo., and two sisters, Mrs. Glen Lowery and Cleatice Worrell of Orleans.
Funeral and burial will be in Cheyenne.

Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Elvis M. Hutchison, 42, met a tragic death last Saturday evening when he was struck my south bound Monon passenger train No. 5, about one mile west of Leipsic, and his body mangled almost beyond recognition. It was several hours after the accident before the pieces of the body were found and identified.
After the passenger train had passed thru Campbellsburg, E. T. Chastain, employee of the Millis Drug Store of Campbellsburg, found on the track a man's wallet, which was blood stained and to which pieces of flesh still adhered. He took the wallet to the drug store and here he and Mr. Millis examined it and found credentials inside establishing the identity of the owner. Realizing there had been an accident they called Sheriff Noble Ellis and Dr. Dillinger, Orange County Coroner, who immediately started an investigation. A crew of track maintenance men from Campbellsburg was organized and started down the track, west, and a crew from Orleans in charge of John Goin, also went from here to aid in the investigation. The body was found near the Tegarden crossing, about a mile this side of Leipsic, by Mr. Goin and his men, Noble Miller, town marshal, and other authorities helping in the search.
The Ochs ambulance was called from Orleans and the pieces of the body were assembled and brought to the mortuary to be prepared for burial.
Mr. Hutchison, in company with John Ferguson, had been in Orleans on Saturday afternoon and it is said they started to their homes in Leipsic together, walking the railroad track. According to reports the two men were seen and conversed with by Earl Tegarden, farmer living east of Orleans, about two o'clock. At four o'clock, about an hour before the tragedy, the men were again seen along the track by John Goin and his section crew as they came in from work.
After the body was found, authorities went to the home of Ferguson to question him, and found him in bed asleep. Very little information was gathered from him concerning the tragedy. The deceased was born and reared near Bromer and had spent his entire life in the vicinity of Orleans and Leipsic. When a boy he united with the Island Methodist Church and here retained his membership thruout his life. He was familiarly known to his many friends as "John" and was well liked.
On January 2, 1918 he entered the U. S. Navy for service in the World War, and saw several months' active duty. He received his discharge on February 3, 1919.
Surviving are his wife, Anita Hutchison, three brothers, Ovid of Stampers Creek, Harry of near Orleans, and Orville of Napa, Calif., and two sisters, Mrs. Dessie Walker and Mrs. Frank Pickens of near Orleans, besides several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were conducted from the Ochs Funeral Home on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. M. T. Eicholz, pastor, in charge. Burial in Trimble Cemetery.

Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Mrs. Cora Kurrie passed away Sunday, January 1st at her home in Chicago. The body was cremated there and the ashes sent to Paoli, where funeral services were held at 10:30 this morning at the Ellis Funeral Home.
She was the widow of the late Sebastian Kurrie, and until his death 20 years ago they resided in Paoli. Survivors are one son, Sebastian, Jr., and one daughter, Majel, both of Chicago. Burial was in the Paoli I. O. O. F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
MARLEY, Charles Brother of Mrs. Fidler Dies
Charles Marley, 61, B & O Railroad conductor, died Tuesday night, March 7 at this home in Seymour, following an illness of three months.
He was born in Lawrence County, but as a young boy came with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Rol Marley, deceased, to Orleans, where they resided for several years before moving to Mitchell. Funeral services and burial will occur Friday in Seymour.
Survivors are the widow, Mrs. Lola Trabue Marley; one son, Gayle, of Seymour; two sisters, Mrs. Noble Fidler, Orleans, and Mrs. Frank Hamer, Mitchell; and one brother, Walter, of Evansville. Mr. and Mrs. Fidler will go to Seymour Friday for the funeral services.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
NEWTON, William Funeral Wednesday for Son-in-Law of Ray Cunningham
Funeral services for William Newton of Pekin, were held Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock at the Pekin Church.
Mr. Newton, 35 years of age, was the husband of Agatha Cunningham Newton. His death occurred Monday at 2:00 a.m. at the St. Joseph Infirmary in Louisville. The body was brought here for burial preparation at the Ochs Funeral Home, and then conveyed to Salem where it lay in state at the home of the father-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Cunningham, until the funeral hour. Burial was in the Salem Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Funeral services for Joseph Raybourne, who passed away last Thursday morning, following a three months illness, were held at the residence last Saturday afternoon with Rev. R. C. Minton officiating.
Following the service here, the remains were taken to the home of Mr. Raybourne's sister, Mrs. George Dorn in New Albany. A short service was held there on Sunday afternoon and interment followed in Graceland Memorial Cemetery. Masonic rites were performed at the grave.
Relatives from out of town attending the funeral here were Mr. and Mrs. Dorn and Mrs. Herbert Creek from New Albany, Mr. and Mrs. Ward Wayman and two sons, and Mr. Wayman's mother, of Mitchell, and Misses Laura Tucker and Roberta Johnson of Indianapolis. Monon officials and employees from a distance, in attendance were Claude Shoulty and "Mickey" Burke of Bloomington, and Ed Erwin of Lafayette.
Mrs. Raybourne, daughters, ( ), Dorothy and Eva, and son, George accompanied the body to New Albany and are remaining with relatives in that city this week.

Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Mrs. Susan Waldrip passed away at her home here on Sunday morning, December 1, about 7 o'clock, following a stroke of paralysis which she suffered ten days previously. She had been in failing health for a number of years due to her advanced age of 85 years, and her family had always given her the best of care and tried to make her last years as comfortable as possible. Mrs. Waldrip was born in Dubois County, coming to Orleans with her husband, H. L. Waldrip, in 1890. Mr. Waldrip, a Civil War veteran, passed away in 1911. She was a member of the Methodist Church and was affiliated with the Woman's Relief Corps., auxiliary to the G. A. R. when it was active in Orleans. During her long residence in Orleans, she has seen many changes in the community and has always followed with interest the improvements that have come. Her many friends and neighbors regret very much to see her long and useful life come to an end.
Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. George L. McCart, Orleans, Mrs. Christie Fidler, West Baden and Mrs. Dick Shrum, of Coffeyville, Kas.; one son, Will Waldrip, of Weatherford, Oklahoma, also several grandchildren and great grandchildren. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Methodist Church at 2 o'clock, in charge of Rev. E. E. Young, of West Baden, assisted by Rev. M. B. McClure; Interment followed in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery.

Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Henry H. Braxton, 77, died Tuesday night at his home just south of Orleans, of a heart ailment. Following his retirement from farming four years ago, due to failing health, he sold his farm located east of Orleans on Lost River, and bought the VanCleave property where he had since resided. After burial preparation was made at the Ochs Funeral Home, the remains were returned to the residence to lie in state.
The deceased was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Campbellsburg and lacked only 7 months of attaining a 50 year membership. Survivors are the widow, Mrs. Dessie Braxton; one son, Harold B. Braxton of Clarksville, Ind.; two daughters, Mrs. Mary Kline of Maywood, Ill., and Mrs. Jean Turner of Paoli. Funeral services will be conducted from the Old Union Church at 1:30 p.m. Friday. The Masons will give their ritualistic ceremony at the grave.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
CHATHAM, Fannie M. (nee Wright)
Mrs. Ralph Chatham passed away at their home in Seymour, Ind., Tuesday evening at 9:45 o'clock, following a stroke of paralysis which occurred only a short time previous to her passing. She had been ill for the past eighteen months and had been in failing health for the past few years.
She was born in Orleans February 15, 1877 to Benjamin and Elizabeth Wright, making her age at the time of her demise, 56 years, 11 months and 15 days. On August 18, 1897 she was united in marriage to Ralph M. Chatham and a son and daughter came to bless this union, Kenneth and Marguerite.
Mr. and Mrs. Chatham spent their entire life in Orleans until five years ago when they moved to Seymour to reside. Both were members of the local Christian church and were loyal supporters of its many undertakings and achievements. They were greatly missed when they moved from our community and it was with deep regret that the family's many friends heard yesterday morning of Mrs. Chatham's passing.
The remains were brought from Seymour yesterday afternoon and taken to the home of her brother, Joe Wright. Funeral services were held this afternoon at the Christian Church with Rev. Elvin Daniels of Seymour in charge. Interment followed in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery.
Mrs. Chatham is survived by her companion, one daughter, Mrs. Harris Gibbons of Mitchell; one son, Kenneth Chatham of Lafayette; one sister, Mrs. Richard Hardman, of Bedford; one brother, Joe Wright of Orleans and one granddaughter.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
DENBO, Edward S.
Dr. Edward S. Denbo, 77, died about seven o'clock Monday night at the Dunn Memorial Hospital, Bedford, where he was admitted for observation and treatment the previous Thursday. Following burial preparation at the Ochs Funeral Home the remains were taken to the family residence to lie in state.
Dr. Denbo, a native of Harrison County, was born February 11, 1869 at Corydon, the son of Henry H. and Mary Eliza Denbo. He graduated from the Corydon High School in 1890 and enrolled at the State University of Iowa, from which he was graduated in 1892. He came to Orleans that same year and began the practice of dentistry. For 54 years he has enjoyed a wide professional practice.
His kind and genial manner made him many friends whose association he cherished highly.
He was a charter member of the Orleans Kiwanis Club, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and had just recently received his life membership in the K. of P. Lodge, in which he took an active interest, in both the local and state organization. Following the establishing of his profession here he was married to Ruby Tracy Murtone of Indianapolis in 1895, who preceded him in death on July 18, 1930.
He is survived by four sons, Dr. Howard A. Denbo of South Bend; Edward M. Denbo of Durham, North Carolina; Capt. R. Wayne Denbo of Coronado, Calif.; and Albert F. Denbo of Muncie; three daughters, Miss Tracy Denbo, at home; Mrs. W. P. Ramsey, Orleans, and Mrs. Roy M. Busick, Winchester, Indiana; three sisters, Miss Ruth Denbo, Orleans; Mrs. W. H. Myers, Kewanna, Ind., and Mrs. Jesse Jones, Indianapolis; and twelve grandchildren, Howard and Mae Denbo of South Bend; Jean and Edward Denbo of Durham, North Carolina; Francis Wayne, Roberta, Richard and Cynthia Denbo of Coronado, Calif.; Don and Barbara Jo Busick of Winchester, Ind.; and Sara and Mary Ramsey, Orleans.
Funeral services will be held at 2:30 Friday afternoon at the Presbyterian Church. The body will be taken to the church at 1:30 to lie in state one hour before the services. Interment will be made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
EASTER, Laura Belle
Mrs. Laura Belle Easter, 68 years old, passed away at the home of her son-in-law, Lon McDonald in west Orleans, last Friday morning, February 23, at 12:10 o'clock. Her death came suddenly from a heart attack. Mrs. Easter came here from Marengo with the McDonald family 12 years ago and is well known to a number of our citizens.
When quite young she affiliated with the United Brethren Church at Newton Stewart, Ind., and still holds her membership at that place.
She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Clad Murray of Franklin, Ind., one sister, Mrs. John Hall of Youngs Creek, eleven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at one o'clock in the Methodist Church with Rev. Russell in charge. Interment followed in the Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
ESTEL, Warren L.
Warren L. Estel, three year son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Estel, passed away at the home of its grandparents in the northeast part of Orleans last Thursday morning, death resulting from pneumonia. The child had been ill only about three days and the malady had gained such a hold on its body that it was impossible to save its life.
Funeral services were conducted at the home on Friday afternoon by S. E. Wells and burial was made at Bethel.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Herb Hackney passed away at his home in the north part of Orleans on Tuesday of this week at 12:40 p.m., after a comparatively short illness, caused from a complication of diseases. He had been in failing health the entire winter, but had been bedfast only two weeks preceding his death. He was 56 years of age. Mr. Hackney was born and reared near Orleans, and after his marriage to Mrs. Hackney they came to Orleans where they have since resided. For the past twelve years he has been employed with the Westinghouse Electric Co., which employment took him quite a distance at times on contracts made by the company. Previous to his connection with Westinghouse he had been employed on a number of well drilling contracts.
He was a member of the local Masonic lodge. During his life time he had made a large number of friends here and in other cities by contact through his work, and it is with deep regret they learn of his untimely demise.
Surviving are the companion, and one sister, Mrs. Leona Alspaugh, of Mitchell.
Funeral services were held this afternoon at the Ochs funeral home, in charge of Rev. W. A. Everhart, pastor of the Christian Church, and burial followed in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
HALL, Nannie B.
Mrs. Nannie B. Hall, wife of Simpson B. Hall, died today at noon. She had been ill several weeks. Her home was on Route 2, west of Orleans on the Vincennes Road. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Winchester - Charles M. Henderson, 70 years old, died in Winchester Thursday night, after a year's illness. Born in Orleans, Ind., he spent the last 35 years in Winchester. Surviving are the widow, Ada; two sons, Lendville of Orleans and Kenneth of Winchester; one sister, Mrs. Ollie Dalton of Orleans; three brothers, Fred, Everett and Virgil of Orleans; three grandchildren; nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held at 2:00 Sunday at the East Street Christian Church in charge of Rev. Leo McKinley. Burial was made in the Fountain Park Cemetery. The Palladium-Item, Richmond, Ind.
HUNT, Carl
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Ochs Funeral Home for Carl Hunt, 58 years of age, who died Wednesday night in a Chicago hospital. His death was attributed to a stroke which he suffered after entering the hospital several days previous for treatment of an infected finger.
Mr. Hunt was a native of Orange County, and was the son of Dr. Franklin P. and Margaret Schurz Hunt.
The body will arrive in Orleans on Monon train No. 3 Friday morning, and will lay in state at the Ochs Funeral Home. Survivors are two brothers, Harry Hunt of Bedford, and Will Hunt of Leipsic.
Interment will be made in the Paoli Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
JENNER, Jane (nee McDaniel)
Mrs. Jane Jenner, 69, mother of Senator William E. Jenner, died Tuesday afternoon at her home in Marengo. Senator Jenner arrived in Marengo Sunday afternoon. His mother became critically ill last week. She was long an invalid. Other survivors are her husband, L. L. Jenner; two other sons, Loren of Shelbyville, and Donald of Marengo; a sister, Mrs. Otho Mock of Leavenworth; a brother, William McDaniel, Louisville and five grandchildren. Funeral services were held today at 2:00 p.m. at the Marengo Methodist Church; burial in Marengo Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
KEEDY, Mollie (nee Fisher)
Mrs. Mollie Keedy, widow of the late Newton Keedy, passed away at her home in south Orleans this morning at 5:45 o'clock, following a two days illness from double pneumonia. She was 89 years of age. Mrs. Keedy had been in failing health for some time but was taken severely ill Tuesday of this week with pneumonia resulting. The deceased was born and reared in Bedford, coming to Orleans to reside when her marriage to Mr. Keedy occurred and at the time of her passing she was one of our oldest citizens. She was a member of the local W. R. C. and took great interest in its work when the organization was active. She was also a member of the local Christian Church.
Mrs. Keedy is survived by two sons, Noble and Frank, both living in Orleans, and one brother, Tom Fisher of Cincinnati, Ohio. Her companion, one of our old Civil War veterans, passed away in April, 1933, and three children also preceded her in death. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at Liberty at 2 o'clock in charge of Rev. S. E. Wells with interment following in the Liberty Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
McGREGOR, Anna Johnson
Mrs. Ellis Leatherman received word the latter part of last week of the death of Anna Johnson McGregor who passed way, Saturday afternoon, February 10, at Denver, Colo., following an extended illness. She is well known to the older citizens of our community as she was born and reared here, the daughter of Moses Johnson. Leaving Orleans about forty years ago she was employed in several cities in this state, later leaving for Colorado, where she took up permanent residence in Denver. When a young girl in Orleans she was a member of the popular T. S. J. C. Club.
Mrs. McGregor was a Gold Star mother as her son was killed while rendering special service during the World War. About two years ago she was in Orleans a very short time and enjoyed mingling with a number of former acquaintances. She was the aunt of Frank Johnson.
Funeral services were held on Thursday, following her death.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
J. D. McIntyre passed away at his home near Leipsic, Tuesday night, at 10:30 o'clock, having been ill and confined to his bed since the first of November. He first became ill from a deep seated cold which grew worse with complications arising. He was 69 years of age at the time of his passing.
Mr. McIntyre was born and reared in the vicinity of Leipsic and has spent his entire life as one of the leading and highly esteemed citizens of that community. For about twenty-five years he has successfully operated a feed business there and since the organization of the Farmers State Bank at Leipsic near fifteen years ago, has been its president.
During his youth he united with the Church of Christ at Stonington, holding his membership at that place thru life. His passing brings a deep regret to a large number of business associates and friends and their sympathy goes out to the members of his family in this hour.
Besides his companion he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Cecil Hopping, of Leipsic, two children having preceded him in death; four sisters, Mrs. Lizzie Tegarden of Orleans, Mrs. Homer Baker of Carters Creek, Mrs. Curt Clements and Mrs. Samuel Johnson of Wenatchee, Wash.; two brothers, Jas. F. McIntyre, of Toledo, Ohio, and W. G. McIntyre of Honolulu; one grandson and a number of nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock at Liberty, with interment following in the Liberty Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
MOODAY, Edna Marie
Edna was the daughter of Edward and Nellie Elliott, and was born near this place September 22, 1898. Here she grew to womanhood, beloved by her parents and respected by all who knew her. Early in life she became a member of the Syria Christian Church, active in its progress for the community and faithful in its teachings. On October 17, 1917 she was married to Walter D. Mooday, and to them was born one daughter, Edith Leola, now at the age of young womanhood, bereft of a mother's care and guidance.
Following their marriage they made their home at Monmouth, Illinois, for several years, removing from there to near Kokomo, Indiana, where they have resided the past nine years, making new friends, and creating a love in the hearts of these new found neighbors.
She was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary at Greentown, Indiana, and was ever interested and active in the duties they performed.
In this brief life she has sought to give to others a full measure of her living. And when came the class of this beautiful sojourn at the hospital at Marion, Indiana, on December 7, 1937, at the age of 39 years, 2 months and 15 days, she did not forget her Savior's love, as calmly she sang those beautiful lines, "How Happy I Will Be Over There." After which she bade a fond "goodbye" to her beloved ones about her, peacefully entered into that dreamless sleep, and the Christian Spirit of this young companion, mother, daughter, sister and friend, was gently wafted into the arms of Him to whom she had so often prayed.
May it be truly said of her that she never forgot to write to her aged parents, and that she was ever thoughtful of the needs of others, and strove in her humble way to be of service to God and Man.
With this loving companion and daughter, she leaves today these aged and infirm parents, four brothers, Ora, Jesse and Bruce of near Paoli, Indiana, and three sisters, Mrs. Banks Kirby and Mrs. Thad Clements, of this vicinity, and Mrs. Audley Mooday, of Monmouth, Illinois, with many sorrowing relatives and friends, all of whom mourn with these beloved, and mingle tears with theirs.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
RICHARDSON, Pearl Blevins
Mrs. Pearl Blevins Richardson, wife of Donald Richardson died Sunday afternoon, July 5, at 4 o'clock at the Bedford Hospital, where she had been taken about 10:30 o'clock Sunday morning suffering with pneumonia. She had been ill about ten days before her condition became critical late Saturday night.
She was born April 6, 1906 to Harley and Arvella Blevins near Huron in Lawrence County. Her parents died when she was quite young and she was reared in the home of relatives and friends. She was married December 25, 1926, to Donald Richardson, who with their two children, Donald William and Shirley Ann, and two sisters, Mrs. Daisy Holt and Mrs. Lulu Raftis of Mitchell, and one brother, Howard Blevins near Bedford, survive.
Mrs. Richardson belonged to the Orleans Baptist Church where funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by the pastor, Rev. R. M. Boston, followed by burial in the Claysville Cemetery.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Mr. William Richardson passed away at his home Friday, October 3 at 12:30 p.m. from a cerebral hemorrhage. He had been in failing health due to a stroke suffered seven months ago which had left him an invalid. He was tenderly cared for by his daughter, Roberta, who lived with him; aided by others of his children. He was born in Washington County February 15, 1880, to James and Melissa Richardson. On August 9, 1905, he was married to Mollie Chamberlain, who preceded him in death December 2, 1935. Nine children were born to this couple, all of whom survive.
Mr. Richardson followed the occupation of a farmer, retiring, and moving to Orleans about 27 years ago. Since that time he had been employed at the Cabinet Factory in Orleans, and at Paoli, until his health forced him to discontinue his work a few years ago. He was a member of the First Baptist Church and the Modern Woodmen Lodge of Orleans.
The body was prepared for burial at the Ochs Funeral Home, after which it was taken to the home of his son, Mr. Edwin Richardson, and lay in state there until the hour of the funeral service, conducted Sunday afternoon at two o'clock at the First Baptist Church by Rev. James Monroe. Burial was made in Claysville Cemetery.
Surviving are the nine children, Donald, Roberta, Edwin and William, Orleans; Robert, Camp Carson, Colorado; Mrs. Hubert Heightower, Kokomo; Mrs. Rudy Raymond, Vance and Mary, Indianapolis; also nine grandchildren, and two brothers, both of whom reside in California.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
RILEY, Lillian Teaford
Miss Lillian Teaford Riley, 39 years of age, formerly of Youngs Creek, passed away at noon, February 10, in the Baptist Hospital in Louisville, after a lingering illness of several months. Miss Riley was the foster daughter of Eli Riley, deceased, and Mrs. Riley. She had made her home with them since she was three weeks old. Miss Riley was employed at the Hancock Drug Store until her illness. The body was brought to the Ochs Funeral Home and there remained until 9:00 o'clock Wednesday a.m. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. at Apples Chapel with the Rev. Wilkin of the Christian Church here officiating. Burial was made in the Youngs Creek Cemetery. Survivors include the foster mother, one sister, living in Chicago, and two brothers, one residing in Chicago and one at French Lick.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
ROACH, Arra Lewis Arra Lewis Roach, youngest son of William and Mary Phillipps Roach was born September 16, 1872, in Orange County, Indiana, near the Roach school house.
To this community, a mile and one half from his birthplace, he brought his bride, Martha Della Coulter, April 3, 1901 and here they resided on their farm until failing health caused him to move to Leipsic where he spent the last three years of his life. His life was truly commonplace as he did not seek, show or praise except that which comes from service to family and friends and neighbors to whom he was a friend in both times of sorrow and happiness.
To brighten and make more complete this companionship, a daughter Edna, now the wife of Herschel C. Baker of Pekin, came to this home.
He loved his family beyond any realms that words can express and consecrated his life and energies during the past few years to the happiness of his little granddaughter, Virginia Lou Baker, whom he idolized. She answered his desire for associations with children which always seem to afford him so much pleasure. Although never uniting with a definite denomination he lived a Christian life and every Sunday morning for many years made church service a part of his life through the median of the radio. Nothing could deter him from this service.
His passing March 24, 1945, at the age of 78 years, 6 months, and 8 days is the seventh of his family to answer the call. He leaves besides his wife, daughter and granddaughter, a brother, Alex of Paoli and two sisters, Mrs. Susie Warren of Orleans and Mrs. Melissa Moody of Kokomo, Indiana; a host of other relatives and friends who today mourn his passing.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
Oscar Standeford, widely known business man, died suddenly about eleven o'clock Thursday night, March 22, at his home. Although he had not been well the past several months due to a heart ailment, his death was a great shock to his family, and the community as a whole. He had attended to his business as usual that day, becoming ill only a short time before death occurred.
He was born May 26, 1881, at Tunnelton, the son of George and Mary Jane Standeford. He moved with his parents to Orleans when a young boy, and with the exception of a period of four years in Paoli after his election as Treasurer of Orange County has lived her continuously.
On March 26, he was married to Ella Magill, who, with two sons, Lloyd, of Louisville, and Lowell, now in England with the armed forces survives.
Mr. Standeford was an outstanding citizen. His kindly disposition, his sympathetic nature, and his wise council, made him a wide circle of friends. Public spirited, alert and ever willing to be of service in welfare, church, and lodge activities, he represented the type of citizenry that will be greatly missed.
Funeral services were conducted at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon, from the Methodist Church, with the Rev. W. N. Burton, pastor, officiating. Interment was in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. Survivors other than the widow and two sons are three sisters, Julia, Paoli; Mrs. Hattie Sallee, Rockport, and Mrs. Bessie Lytton, Newton, Kas.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
SUMMERS, Sherman
Sherman Summers passed away the afternoon of July 31 in Ashland, Kentucky, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lucille Stapf, with whom he had made his home for the last four years. Mr. Summers had been in failing health for several months, but had only been confined to his home a month before his death.
His body, accompanied by his daughter, Mrs. Stapf, was brought Saturday to the Ochs Funeral Home where it lay in state until the hour of the funeral service, which was Sunday, August 3, at 2 p.m., in the Orleans Methodist Church, and conducted, by Rev. L. Hodapp. Burial was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Mr. Summers was born February 24, 1866 at Milltown, the son of Jake and Rebecca Summers. He was married in Hardinsburg in 1893 to Mrs. Maria Trotter Kern, who preceded him in death. Two children were born to this union; they are Hubert L. Summers, Orleans, and Lucille Summers Stapf. A step-son, Carl H. Kern, New Albany, also survives his passing.
Mr. Summers moved to Orleans, with his family, from Hardinsburg. He was a blacksmith, known far and near for his good work in this trade. In later years, when forced to give up this work, he applied his time to gardening and flower culture, and was never so happy as when among his plants, discussing them with his friends and neighbors. He continued this hobby in his new home, and had made many friends in Ashland through his flowers. He was a member of the Orleans Methodist Church.
About six weeks ago Mr. Summers was in Orleans visiting his son, Mr. and Mrs. Hubert L. Summers. He enjoyed this visit very much, as he was able to see all of his brothers and sisters and members of his family, except one who lives in California; also most of his friends.
Surviving Mr. Summers, besides his children are three step-grandchildren, Mrs. Charles Long, Mrs. Arthur Landgraf and Mrs. Leonard Schindler, and three great grandchildren; three brothers, Frank S. and James, both of Salem, and Jesse S. Summers, New Albany; three sisters, Mrs. Eunice Carter, Milltown, Mrs. Emma Cadle, Banning, California, and Mrs. James McIntosh, Hardinsburg.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
WALLACE, Joseph Otto
Joseph Otto Wallace, the oldest son of Henry M. and Cora F. Wallace, was born in Orange County, near Orleans, Indiana, July 26, 1903, and departed this world December 28, 1935, in the City Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky, after a brief illness due to a wound, accidentally inflicted while in discharge of his duty. In October, 1920, he confessed his faith in Christ during a meeting held by the Rev. Davies, a district evangelist of the Indiana Christian Missionary Association, and united with the Syria Christian Church. He was a member of this church at the time of his death.
On July 13, 1935, he was married to Miss Eva May Pierce, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Pierce, of Cloverdale, Kentucky. This union was destined to be but for a few brief months, for it was soon brought to a close in this world by his untimely and tragic death, leaving to his faithful young wife but the fond memories of those few happy days which they lived together in the bonds of holy wedlock.
He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Eva May Pierce Wallace; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry M. Wallace; seven sisters, Mrs. Lois Wolfe and Mrs. Elizabeth Sewell, both of Columbus, Ind.; Mrs. Helen Bell of Bedford; Mary, Edith, Margie and Martha Jean Wallace, all of near Orleans; three brothers, Paul, Leon, Donald all of near Orleans, and other close relatives and a host of friends, who held him in high esteem.
It is hard to part with those whom we love and to realize that we shall never more see their loved form in this world. But the bereavement is somewhat compensated when by their life or word of mouth they say, "All is well," as the clock tolls out the closing hour of their little day. To his mother Joseph said, "If I don't get well, it's all right." This is a great comfort to those who are left to mourn his going.
Courtesy of  Cathy Beard
WOLFE, Dessie Frances Edwards
Dessie Frances Edwards Wolfe, daughter of Charles and Mary Edwards was born December 5, 1874, departed this life July 13, 1942 at the age of 67 years, 7 months and 8 days.
May 26, 1895 she was united in marriage to Arris Wolfe. This union was blessed with five children namely Mrs. Mamie Moore of Campbellsburg, Mrs. Grace Miller of Orleans, Charles Wolfe of Salem, and two daughters Eva and Nellie who have preceded her to the Great Beyond.
Dessie was a kind and loving mother, a good neighbor, always willing and ready to help in time of need. She was always thinking of others, holding up to the last in her illness in her thoughtfulness of others. She will be sadly missed in her home and by many neighbors and friends. All that loving hands could do was done, but she quietly passed on to the place that knows no suffering, to be eternally with the Father.
Besides the loving husband and children she leaves four half-brothers and sisters, namely: Dee and Charles Edwards, Gertrude Taylor of Kansas City, Mo., Ethel Rich of Linton, Indiana, six grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren and a host of relatives and friends.
Funeral services were conducted at Stampers Creek Church, by Rev. Ray Jones of the Primitive Baptist Church of Campbellsburg. Burial followed in Stampers Creek Cemetery.
Contributed by  Cathy Beard
WORKMAN, Amanda Belle
Mrs. Amanda Belle Workman, wife of Dr. W. S. Workman, passed away at their home on Tuesday, February 18, at 12:30 p.m., following a six weeks illness from angina pectoris and paralysis. She had been in failing health for several months and the first of January became bedfast. She was 67 years of age.
Mrs. Workman was born and reared in Washington County, near Livonia, coming with Dr. Workman to Orleans in 1916, when he took up practice here. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Livonia when they resided there, but upon coming to Orleans, placed her membership with the Pilgrim Holiness Church. Her church affiliations and her family were her life, and her many friends admired and respected her for her many fine traits of character.
Surviving are her companion, one niece, Mrs. Wayne Chastain, whom they have reared from infancy, and one sister, Mrs. Harley Denton, east of Orleans. A daughter and son, who died in infancy, preceded her. A short service was held at the home yesterday afternoon at 1:15 and the remains were then taken to Livonia, where another service was held at 2:30, conducted by Rev. Carrie S. Glick, pastor of the Orleans Pilgrim Holiness Church. Interment was made at Livonia.