Orange County Obituaries

Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN-- Thurs. 12 December 1946
Madison Flick, 70, retired farmer, died at his home in French Lick Sunday morning. The body was taken to the Schmutzler funeral home and funeral rites were held Tuesday afternoon at the French Lick United Brethen church. Burial was in Cane Creek cemetery.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN --Thurs, 31 May 1945
Mrs Mabel Ellis Flick, 43, sister of Mrs Donald Griggs and Mrs Richard Padgett, Paoli, was killed when struck by a hit-and-run driver in front of her home in Indianapolis early Saturday morning. Police were continuing their search for identity of the driver of the fatal car. Pieces of the car headlight and a part of the parking light were held as evidence. Mrs Flick was killed instantly; her body was hurled more than 50 feet. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at Cuzco, her former home. Interment was made at Ames Chapel.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
Paoli Republican 8 October 1959
The body of Henry J Flick, 73, will be returned Thursday mor- ning to the Schmutzler funeral home in French Lick. The for- mer French Lick resident died Monday in Ball Memorial Hos- pital in Muncie. Friends may call at the funer- al home after Thursday noon. Final rites have been set for Fri- day at 2:00 o'clock in Cane Creek cemetery Rev Chris Parks of Huntingburg will con- duct the services and burial will be in Cane Creek church ceme- tery.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
Paoli Republican 25 September 1962
Funeral services are being held Tuesday afternoon for John M Flick, 78, who died Saturday night at the Gorge nursing home in French Lick. He had been a patient there since January. Rev. Woodrow Archer will conduct services in the Schmutzler funeral home and burial will be in the Cane Creek cemetery. Mr. Flick was a retired farmer of the Newton Stewart community. He is survived by nine children, Russell and Cecil Flick, both of Indianapolis: Mrs Goldie Kellams, South Bend; Mrs Russell Speedy and Mrs Bertha Atkins, both of Eckert; Nova Flick, Laporte; Dencil Flick, Jonesboro, Arkansas; Miss Majel Flick, French Lick and Dennis Flick, Paoli. Also a sister, Mrs Elvira Burton of French Lick; 20 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
Paoli Republican 20 August 1963
Albert Flick, 66, died Saturday afternoon at Dubois County Memorial Hospital where he had been admitted Saturday morning. Mr Flick had been a cook at the old Shamrock Restaurant and worked at the French Lick Hotel before ill health forced his retirement. Final rites were held Monday afternoon in the chapel of Schmutzler funeral home. Rev Albert Nelson conducted rites and burial was in Cane Creek cemetery. Mr Flick is survived by a sister, Mrs Lela Hobson, French Lick, and nieces and nephews.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
Paoli Republican Tues, 20 September 1960
Charles W Flick, 64, a veteran of both World Wars, died Thursday in the veteran's hospital in Louisville. Final rites were held Saturday morning in Schmutzler funeral chapel with services conducted by Rev Harl Lewis. Burial was in Mt Lebanon cemetery. Mr Flick was a member of the West Baden American Legion Post. Surviving with his wife, Mrs Kathryn Flick are four brothers: Otto, Roy and Lemuel Flick, all of French Lick; Denvy Flick of Ohio; and two sisters, including Mrs. Etta Brown of Paoli.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN Tues, 18 Sept 1962
Mrs. Sidney Flick, 86, died Saturday morning at the Gorge Nursing Home. Final rites were held Monday afternoon at the Ritter Funeral Home, French Lick, conducted by Rev Floyd Wright. Burial was in Moores Ridge cemetery. Mrs Flick was the former Elizabeth Kinsey and had taught for 35 years in French Lick Township schools before her retirement. She is survived by one son, Park Flick. French Lick, and three grandchildren; a sister Mrs Ella Flick and two brothers, Clarence and Charles Kinsey, all of French Lick.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN --Tues, 14 August 1962
Final rites were held Sunday afternoon in Schmutzler funeral home for Denvy I Flick, 68, who died Thursday afternoon at his home in Indianapolis. Services were conducted by Rev Lloyd Wright with burial in Mt Lebanon cemetery. Mr Flick, a veteran of World War I, was a former resident of French Lick. He was a member of the V.F.W. in Indianapolis. He is survived by three brothers, Roy Flick, French Lick; Otto Flick Route 2, French Lick, and Lemuel Flick, Hillham, and one sister, Mrs Etta Brown of Paoli.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN --Tues, 8 February 1966
Funeral services were held Monday at the Brosmer-Drobing Funeral Home for Mrs Mary Flick, 71, French Lick, who died Friday at the O'Malley Nursing Home in Loogootee, where she had been a patient for three years. Rev Marvin Hughes conducted the funeral services and burial was in Cane Creek Cemetery. Mrs Flick is survived by four children, Mrs Fred Stringer, Shoals; Mrs Athal Wilkerson, Paxton, Ill.; Mrs Jewel Wyberg, California and Dale Flick of Bloomington; and 18 grandchildren.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN ---Tues, 5 February 1963
Funeral services are being held Tuesday for Thomas L Flick, 83, retired Orange county farmer. He died Saturday at his home south of Paoli. Rites are from Providence Baptist church with burial by Green funeral directors in the church cemetery. Mr Flick is survived by his wife, Mrs Lora Flick; a son, Ermal Flick; a sister, Mrs Pearl Lane; and a brother, Arley Flick, Eckerty; and a granddaughter.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI NEWS --Thurs 18 February 1965
Stella Ann Flick was born in Dubois County on July 2 1892, the daughter of Wilbur and Armelda [Bell] Kellams. At age 11, the family moved to Orange County where she spent her entire life. On January 28, 1911 she was united in marriage to Charles A Flick and moved to the Flick homestead where she passed to her eternal rest on February 16, 1965. To this union were born 12 children: Mrs Dalma Turner, Germany; Ranza Flick, West Baden; Eldo Flick, French Lick; Mrs Pearl Walsh, Hillsdale, Ill.; Mrs Roma Zapp, Niles, Ill.; Amos Flick, Canfield, Ohio; Mrs June Drake, Gary, Ind.; Mrs Violet Ballard, Westville, Ind.; Eddie Flick, Hobart, Ind.; Thomas Flick, Gary, Ind.; Mrs Shirley Crowder, Paoli, Ind.; and Mrs Dorothy Robbins, who preceded her in death. She leaves to mourn her husband, the eleven children, 25 grandchildren, a sister Mrs Bert Bledsoe, Orleans, two brothers, Frank Kellams, Orleans; Charles Kellams, Paoli; Elmer Lammelein, Orlando, Florida and Mrs Helen Stevenson of Richmond, Ind.; who were reared in the Kellams home. And a host of relatives and friends.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN -- Tues, 9 June 1964
William Sherman Flick, 98, died Sunday morning at his home on Route 2, French Lick. Final rites for Mr Flick are being conducted Tuesday afternoon at Cane Creek Christian Church with burial in the church cemetery. Rev James Runner is conducting the rites with Schmutzler funeral directors in charge of arrangements. Mr Flick is survived by four sons; Earl Flick of Washington state; Elza and Lee Flick of Los Angeles, California; and Floyd Flick, French Lick; six grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI REPUBLICAN-- Tues, 8 September 1959
Orange county native, Mrs Virginia Foster Flick, 37, died Saturday morning at Floyd county Memorial hospital in New Albany. She had been suffering with cancer for two years. Final rites were held Tuesday morning in New Albany. She is survived by her husband, Cameron Flick, and a son, Frank Flick of New Albany. Mrs Charles Hammond of near Youngs Creek is a sister-in-law and Mr Flick's parents, Mr and Mrs Ollie Flick live at French Lick.
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
Oliver T Flick, third child of Issac and Sarah Elizabeth Flick was born July 27, 1887 and passed away November 25, 1963 at the age of 76 tears, 8 months and 28 days. He was united in marriage to Stella A North on November 5, 1913. To this union were born 7 children: Audra [Max] Davis, Garden Grove, California; Barbara [Alva] Goldman, French Lick; Grace [Charles] Hammons, Paoli; Fay Marie [Ben] Jones, Vandelia, Ohio; Cameron Flick, New Albany; and Paul Flick, Huntingburg. A son, Freeland, preceded him in death in 1940. He also leaves 22 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and one brother, Elmer Flick of Bedford..... He was a farmer, but worked at public works in order for his children to receive the education he wished them to have. Failing health compelled him to retire 13 years ago. In 1961 he became a semi-invalid, due to a long standing heart condition which had originated during his army service in early manhood. He retained a deep interest in military affairs throughout his life..... He had always taken part in services at South Liberty Church of Christ, of which he was a member. He served many years as a Deacon and treasurer. [He died in Orange Couny Hospital, Schmutzler was in charge of arrangements and burial in church cemetery...He was a member of the French Lick D A V chapter----Paoli Republican...Thurs 28 Nov 1963]
Courtesy of Sheila Flick
PAOLI NEWS--Thurs, 30 July 1959
Final rites were held Sunday in the French Lick E.U.B. church for Mrs Rosetta Flick, 83, who died in Lafayette where she had lived for 12 years. Services for Mrs Flick, a native of Jackson township, were conducted by Rev Earl Snow of Lafayette. Burial in Cane Creek cemetery was by Schmutzler funeral directors. Mrs Flick is survived by four daughters, Mrs Alice Sterry of West Baden, Mrs Ethel Marlette of French Lick, Miss Esther Flick and Mrs Kathryn Dillans of Lafayette, and one brother, Frank Thurston of French Lick.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
KEARBY, Delbert O.
Prominent Surgeon, Dr. Kearby Is Dead. Indianapolis, April 11 (AP) - Dr. Delbert O. Kearby, 68, prominent Indianapolis surgeon, died yesterday at Methodist Hospital. He retired in 1937 after being in charge of the bronchoscopy and esaphagoscopy departments at Indiana University Medical Center and at James Whitcomb Riley Hospital.
Dr. Kearby was born at Orleans, where he attended public schools. He was graduated in 1906 from the Indiana University Medical College. He removed to Cleelum, Wash., in 1907 and was elected to the Washington State House of Representatives. He returned to Indiana in 1918.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MCCART, Minnie
Funeral services were conducted at the Elmwood Chapel of the Day & Carter Mortuary, Bedford, at 10:00 o'clock Monday morning for Mrs. Minnie McCart, 65, who was found dead in bed at her home in the Bryantsville community last Friday morning.
The body was fund by the sister of the deceased, Mrs. Lillie Reed who resides near the McCart residence, and who had gone there to investigate after failing to see smoke coming from the McCart chimney.
Following an investigation, the Lawrence County coroner rendered a decision of death due to chronic myocarditis.
Mrs. McCart was a native of Kentucky, and was the daughter of William and Jane Taylor Walker. She resided in Orleans for many years before moving to Lawrence County. Survivors besides Mrs. Reed, are a daughter, Mrs. Ruth Routh of Madison, four other sisters, Mrs. Ellen Austin, Lafayette; Mrs. Pearl Cornwell, Paoli; Mrs. Lula Standeford, Indianapolis; and Mrs. Sallie Dunlap, Michigan City and a brother, Frank Walker, Orleans. Interment was made here in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MCCOY, Lola E. (January 22, 1956)
Miss Lola McCoy Dies of Stroke. Miss Lola E. McCoy, 77, died Sunday morning at the Gorge Nursing Home at French Lick where she had been critically ill since admitted the afternoon of January 9, after suffering a paralytic stroke that morning at her home.
Miss McCoy was a native of Orange County, born December 3, 1878 to James N. and Sarah Jane Mahan McCoy in Stampers Creek Township, where she spent the greater part of her life. She had resided in Orleans since 1924, when she and her sister, Miss Blanche McCoy, accompanied their father from the farm three years after the death of their mother. Her sister died in 1934 and her father in 1939. She had been in ill health for the past few years.
Miss McCoy was a member of the Orleans Christian Church, and was a regular attendant as long as her health would permit. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Ochs Funeral Home, with Rev. Forrest Wilkin officiating. Burial was made in the Stampers Creek Cemetery. Surviving is one brother, Frank McCoy of Orleans, Route 3, several cousins and many friends.
In Tribute: To the memory of a friend we have known through life, her goodness through all these years - in the home, to the parents and brother and sister, in school days, and in the community where we grew to manhood and womanhood together. So are we glad to have a small part in the ceremony to MISS LOLA E. MCCOY whose passing we note today.
She was the first child, and eldest daughter born into the home of James N. (Buddy), and Sarah Jane Mahan-McCoy, in Stampers Creek Township, near Millersburg in this (Orange) county. Here she was born December 3, 1878, and following her birth there came into this home a brother, Frank G. McCoy, now residing near Orleans; a sister who died in infancy; and a sister, Miss Blanche, who died in 1934.
It can well be said of this first born that she was a dutiful daughter in the home, a caretaker, it might seem, to parents, brother and sister - quiet, courteous, gentle, and womanly to young and old.
The mother died in 1921, and Lola became a constant companion to father and sister during the remainder of their lives. Following the death of the mother and companion, she, with her father and sister, removed from the farm home to Orleans in 1924, where came the passing of the sister in 1934, and of the father in 1939.
When left alone, she continued her residence here, and for the past ten years has shared her home with Mrs. Zora McClure, between whom there has been a sisterly affection as so befitted her life. She gave of that affection to Mrs. McClure and it was as tenderly returned. Those who knew of that association can today but share their sympathy to this friend who so mourns the passing of Miss Lola.
A few days since she suffered her fatal illness and was at once removed to the Gorge Nursing Home for further care, there came her passing on the morning of January 22, 1956, at the age of 77 years, 1 month and 19 days.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
RANEY, Thomas J.
The body of Thomas J. Raney, Jr. was brought Saturday night to the Ochs Funeral Home, from South Bend, where he died Friday morning at 1:30, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Paul Donoho. Mr. Raney had been in failing health for a number of years, but a paralytic stroke suffered a week prior to his passing was the cause of his death.
He was born at Shoals, March 15, 1878, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Raney, Sr. In 1902 he was married to Miss Anna Tomilson of French Lick. She preceded him in death three years ago. Though they had no children of their own, they took a niece, Ida Raney, into their home when only a few days old, and reared her as their own daughter. It was with her, and her family, he made his home the past few years.
He was a contractor of concrete work, until 1931, when he reopened the grocery store formerly operated by his father, Thomas Raney, Sr.
Mr. Raney was a member of the pilgrim Holiness Church. Surviving besides the daughter mentioned, are five grandchildren, two brothers, Will Raney, Monon and Lafe Raney, Shoals, a half brother, Titus Raney, Greensburg, and a half sister, Mrs. J. H. Horton of Lawrence. Funeral services were conducted Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at the Ochs Funeral Home, by Rev. James Monroe, pastor of the Baptist Church, assisted by Rev. Robert Stunkel, pastor of the Pilgrim Holiness Church. Interment at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
STONE, Eva (Turley)
Mrs. Eva Turley Stone, wife of O. D. Stone, died about six o'clock Sunday morning, December 12 at the Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where she had been confined the past twelve weeks for treatment and surgery for thyroid.
She was born in Orleans, June 18, 1898 to Oliver and Margaret Collins Turley. She was reared here and educated in the local schools, and on October 20, 1921 was married to Oliver Stone. To this union two children were born, Mary, now employed in Indianapolis and Bob at home. With the exception of fourteen years when the family lived in Bloomington, she had spent her entire life in Orleans. She was a devoted wife and mother, her greatest pleasure was derived in her home doing for her loved ones, and in her close association with them.
As long as her health permitted she was an active member of the local Presbyterian Church, the Eastern Star Lodge and the Tri Kappa Sorority.
Survivors besides the husband, children, and parents are two sisters, Mrs. Ruth Lindsey of Villa Grove, Ill., and Mrs. Virginia Busick of this place.
The body was brought to the Ochs Funeral Home where it was prepared for burial, then taken to the Turley residence where it lay in state and where funeral services were conducted by the Rev. John Prentice of Seymour at 2:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. Burial was made in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
The death of Norman Williams occurred Monday night about 8:30 p.m. at his home west of Orleans. He had been in failing health since October of last year, but had seemingly improved for a time. He complained of feeling badly again on Monday, but was in Orleans until late in the afternoon. He was stricken with the fatal heart attack after retiring for the night.
He was born May 30, 1884, in Orange County, the eldest of ten children of Lewis and Alice Rice Williams. When quite young he was taken into the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Rice, where he was reared and lived until he was 23 years of age. He was twice married, first to Laura Murray who with one son, Harold, preceded him in death. Later he was married to Marie Strange, who survives. With the exception of about three years that he spent in the West, he has lived in or near Orleans all his life.
After burial preparation was made at the Ochs Funeral Home the body was taken to the home of a son, Paul Williams, near Bromer, and lay in state until the funeral hour. Services were conducted Wednesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. at the Mt. Horeb Church, of which he was a member, by the pastor, Rev. Harry Mattingly.
Surviving with the widow are ten children, Paul, near Bromer, Mrs. Ruth Clark, Indianapolis, Mrs. Norma Woody, Orleans, Gilbert, Larry, Lewis, Billy, Tommy, Mary Alice and Michael at home; his mother, Mrs. Alice Williams of near Orleans, six brothers, Sam of Lawrenceburg, Indiana, John of Louisville, Ky., Archie and Thomas of near Orleans, Earl and Ira of Bradley, Ill., one sister, Mrs. Rosie Spellman of Terre Haute, and four grandchildren. Interment was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
BLEDSAW, Sondra Sue. Sondra Sue, the 10-months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Bledsaw, died at the Children's Hospital in Louisville on last Thursday afternoon about 3:30 o'clock, from complications following pneumonia. It had been taken to the hospital on Tuesday for treatment. The baby is survived by one small brother, Gene, its parents, and both maternal and paternal grandparents. Funeral services were held at the home on Saturday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Boston, pastor of the Baptist Church. Interment followed in the Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
BOLING, Mrs. James. Mrs. James Boling died at her home west of Orleans, yesterday morning about one o'clock, after giving premature birth to a child the previous morning. She was 33 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Boling moved to Orleans a few years ago from Salem, where Mrs. Boling was born and reared. Besides her husband she is survived by nine children and her parents, who reside in Salem. The body is lying in state at the Ochs Funeral Home where the services ill be held Friday afternoon at two o'clock.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
CHASTAIN, Ira. Ira Chastain, 69 years of age, passed away at his home on Tuesday morning at 9:50 o'clock, following a ten weeks illness from rheumatism and other complications. He had been in failing health for several years. Mr. Chastain was born in Washington County, January 7, 1870, to Mary and Marion Chastain. After he had reached young manhood his parents moved to Orleans, about the year 1891, and here the following year he was married to Anna Jenkins. He and his family have spent their entire life in Orleans, where Mr. Chastain has followed the vocation of blacksmithing. When the call to colors came in 1917, he enlisted for service in the World War in December, as a blacksmith. He served overseas with Wagon Company No. 5, 23rd Engineers, and in June, 1919, was honorably discharged. He was a member of Warren Brock Post No. 69, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Surviving are his companion, two sons, Carl and Elwood Chastain of Orleans; three daughters, Mrs. Lawrence Gray of Bloomington, Mrs. Lela Dawes and Mrs. Leopal Sanders of Orleans; one brother, Laughlin Chastain of Orleans; three sisters, Mrs. Josephine Chastain of Campbellsburg, and Mrs. W. H. Ferguson and Mrs. Elta Jones of Orleans; also fourteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Funeral services were conducted from the home this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with Rev. M. B. McClure of Tell City in charge. A military burial by the Legion Post followed in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
FIDLER, Mrs. Francis. Following a short illness after the birth of a baby girl, Mrs. Francis Fidler passed away on last Wednesday evening, August 17, in Mitchell, where she had resided the past several months. She was a former resident of Orleans. Mrs. Fidler was born in Orange County, near Rego, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Whitman, coming to Orleans to live when she was married to Mr. Fidler. Her friends here were shocked to hear of her illness and passing, and extend sympathy to her family. She is survived by her husband, two sons, one daughter, her parents, two sisters and one brother. Funeral services were held in Orleans in the W. H. Fidler home on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, in charge of Rev. W. E. Gray, pastor of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. James Fidler of Paoli and Mrs. W. E. Gray had charge of the music. Interment followed in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. The baby daughter, dead at birth, was buried with the mother. The obituary appears in another column.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
FIDLER, Lula Ann Whitman. Lula Ann Whitman, daughter of Edward and Tillie Whitman, was born in Orange County May 31, 1906, and departed this life August 17, 1938, at age of 32 years, 2 months and 17 days. She was married to Francis FIDLER May 25, 1925, and to this union was born six children, Robert, Richard, Winifred, Helen, Martha and Lula May. Three have preceded her in death, Winifred, Helen and Lula May. She became a member of the Christian Church at Campbellsburg in her early youth and on coming to Orleans after her marriage she placed her membership in the Baptist Church with her husband, where she remained a member until death. Lula was a kind and loving mother and her last thoughts were for her children, asking that they be cared for in the home of their grandparents. She leaves to mourn her departure her husband, two sons, Robert and Richard, one daughter, Martha, her mother and father, two sisters, Eola Raper and Lois Whitman, one brother, Ermal Whitman, all of the state of Oregon, and a host of friends who mourn her passing.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
HOLLOWELL, Lillie. Funeral services were being held Thursday afternoon in Orleans for Mrs. Lillie Hollowell, 72. Rites are in charge of Rev. Leroy Hodapp at the Methodist Church and burial is in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. Mrs. Hollowell is the former Lillie Gifford. She was married to Harry Hollowell who preceded her in death. They were parents of one child which died in infancy. Mrs. Hollowell had lived alone in Orleans until a month ago when she went to Shelbyville to make her home with a brother, Earl Gifford. Two weeks ago she entered an Evansville hospital where her death occurred Tuesday. Also surviving is a brother, Clyde Gifford of Trojan, S.D. Another brother, Frank, preceded her in death.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
JOHNSON, William H. William H. Johnson, 90 years of age, passed away Sunday, February 29, at 7:00 p.m. at his home on North Maple St., following an illness of only a few days. In October he had suffered a very bad fall, and although he had been able to be up and about, he had never fully recovered from this accident. Mr. Johnson had lived most of his life on his farm near Wesley Chapel, but had been a resident of Orleans for the past twenty-three years. He was married to Fannie Halbert, who preceded him in death in 1923. They were the parents of one child who died in infancy. In 1925 he was married to Mrs. Margaret McCoy, who survives him. He was a member of the Wesley Chapel Methodist Church. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at his home, by Rev. Leroy Hodapp, and burial was made in the Ames Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
LAUGHLIN, Jane Ann. Jane Ann, eight year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Laughlin, died yesterday morning at four o'clock, following a fifteen months illness from brain tumor. Her condition had been grave for the past week and her death expected at any time. Mr. and Mrs. Laughlin and their daughter, Eva Mae, came to Orleans in 1923, when Mr. Laughlin was placed on the school faculty as principal of the High School. With the exception of two years, when Mr. Laughlin taught in the Oolitic schools, the family has lived here continuously since that date. Jane Ann was born October 29, 1931, and had attended the grade school two years when she became ill. In June of last year, after a slight illness, her trouble was diagnosed as brain tumor. She was taken to well known specialists but no encouragement was offered for her recovery, for due to the position of the growth, an operation would prove fatal. Constant and loving care from the members of her family have no doubt prolonged her life several weeks, and with her passing the sympathy of the entire community goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Laughlin and Eva Mae. Watching and waiting for the end that was inevitable, with the knowledge there was nothing they could do to keep the little life from slipping away, theirs has been a difficult task during the past fifteen months. Funeral services have been planned for Friday afternoon at 1:00 p.m., and will be conducted from the home. They will be in charge of Rev. C. W. Parks of French Lick, former pastor of the local Christian Church. Following the services the remains will be taken to Bloomfield for burial.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MAGILL, Philissa Ann. She, whom we have long known more commonly as "Sis" Magill, was the fourth child in the family of William and Philissa Taylor, was born at French Lick in this county, July 17, 1858, was reared to young womanhood in the parental home in the manner of that day, and has spent all her life here. She was first married May 27, 1877, to James Mac Rutherford. To this union was born four children: Effie, Lennie, Onie, and Exie. Of these the last named passed away in 1887, and Onie, the widow of Fred Coulter, died May 28, 1944. This companionship was broken by the death of the husband September 30, 1888, and on August 21, 1890, she was again united in marriage to Richard P. Magill, and their home life was doubly blessed by the happy congenial relationship which came to exist between the children of these parents by a former marriage. And to bind the tie of family relationship more secure, a son, Ernest Magill, was born into the newly opened home. For many years they continued to reside in Stampers Creek Township, in this county, and in 1916 they removed to Orleans where many of the children then resided. There, on November 16, 1925, this husband passed away, and thereafter in the home of the son, Lennie, with occasional brief visits into the homes of her other children, she has continued to reside; for many of these years a great sufferer, but always cheerful to the family and friends; ever with the belief that "The eternal God is her refuge, and that underneath are the overlasting arms," and that these arms would soon come to bear her safely home, where she would reign eternally in the Holy presence of her Lord and Master, and today that belief has become a reality. With the husband she united with the Primitive Baptist Church at Pleasant Grove February 1, 1904 and continued that membership - with greater love as she grew old - to the end of her life. And in the faith of the ones of old, in the early morning of March 31, 1948, at the age of 89 years, 8 months, 14 days, she passed to be with loved ones gone before, and to an eternity with Christ her King. A well-remembered characteristic of her life has been the quiet unassuming manner in which she lived - a Mother in its fullest meaning to all who became a part of her home - they rejoicing to be one of hers, and to have her in their home. Of these she so loved there remain today, a daughter, Mrs. Effie King of Orleans, and two sons, Ernest Magill, residing near Millersburg, and Lennie Rutherford of Orleans.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MARSHALL, Adda B. Adda B. Marshall was born February 6, 1885, and passed away January 22, 1939, at the age of 53 years, 11 months and 15 days. She was united in marriage to James Marshall February 2, 1902, and to this union were born seven children, Audra Campbell, Wayne Marshall, Bessie Jones, Mary Strange, Malcolm Marshall, Myrtle Lantz and Edith Scaggiari. She is also mourned by four brothers, and two sisters and six grandchildren. She joined the Methodist Church and was truly converted. On January 21, 1923, she moved her membership to the Missionary Baptist Church, of Orleans. After purchasing their home she placed her membership with the Primitive Baptist, and was baptized into that church November 14, 1937, and was a member there, and to which she clung in loving faith until she passed away. She was a devoted wife and a kind and loving mother. Her willing hands were always ready to do deeds of kindness in the hours of need, and her big heart was filled with love and forgiveness and always alert to bring cheer to everyone. Through all her illness she bore her suffering without complaint and always thought of her family before herself. She will be remembered as a sympathetic friend and wonderful neighbor, and also the most loving of wives and mother.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
NEWGENT, Virginia Fox. Mrs. Virginia Fox Newgent, 23, passed away at the Linton Hospital, Friday night, May 4. She had not been well for the past two years, due to a heart ailment, but was cheerful at all times and was planning for the future. She was married in August 1940 to Granville Newgent, who is now serving with the Marines in the South Pacific. So far the family have been unable to locate him. Mrs. Newgent is survived by the husband and one daughter, Dinah Lynn who is only 2 ˝ years old. Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist Church at Switz City, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 with the Rev. R. M. Boston officiating. Burial was made in the Switz City Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
PEFFER, Harry Creighton. Dr. Harry C. Peffer Meets Tragic Death. Monday, March 6, 1939. Dr. Harry C. Peffer, prominent young physician of Orleans, met a tragic death on Monday morning about two o'clock, when a bullet from a .45 calibre automatic, discharged during a scuffle over the weapon between himself and a companion, John Cunningham of Orleans, pierced his brain. The wound brought instant death. The bullet entered behind the right ear, ranged upward and emerged near the top of the head.
The shooting occurred in the drug room of the physician's office which is located on the west side of his home.
The shot awakened Merrill Patton, owner of the house and whose living quarters are upstairs, and when he rushed down to the scene of the shooting, found Dr. Peffer's body lying at the foot of the stairway which leads from the rear of the house into the drug room. He immediately called Dr. W. E. Schoolfield and upon the physician's arrival, a quick examination revealed that death had been instant.
The physician in turn called Sheriff Noble Ellis at Paoli and the County Coroner, Dr. George Dillinger of French Lick, was also notified. The sheriff arrived on the scene about 2:45 and the coroner about thirty minutes later. State Police, Ernie Harris and William Thompson, and Marshal Noble Miller, local chief of police, were also called.
When the sheriff arrived he found Cunningham still in the room with the dead physician's body. Immediate investigation of the case was opened when all the authorities arrived. After questioning Cunningham, Mrs. Peffer, who was in the house when the shooting occurred and Patton who was first on the scene after the shot was fired, the following incidents leading up to the affair were disclosed.
Dr. Peffer had made a call to Mitchell Sunday evening and there encountered Cunningham who joined him and returned with him to Orleans. Both went to the doctor's home and here later they engaged in an argument which caused Dr. Peffer to go upstairs and bring down the gun over which the two men were scuffling when Peffer was mortally wounded. Cunningham was taken into custody by the sheriff and is being held in the Paoli jail for further questioning.
The coroner withheld his verdict in the case and the evidence has been turned over to the grand jury for further investigation. Cunningham was questioned further by the panel on Tuesday, and they will be called again on Friday morning to complete their investigation when Dr. Schoolfield, Merrill Patton, Mrs. Peffer, the coroner and the two state police will be questioned.
Following the investigation at the scene of the shooting, Dr. Peffer's body was removed to the Ochs Funeral Home where it was prepared for burial. Late in the afternoon it was placed in the chapel room of the mortuary where friends called to pay their last respects until a late hour in the evening. The remains were then placed on train No. 4 and taken to Lafayette, the physician's former home, and funeral services were conducted there from the Bradshaw Funeral Home on Tuesday afternoon. Interment followed in Grandview Cemetery. Harry Creighton Peffer was born on October 12, 1905 in East St. Louis, Ill. After graduating from Purdue University, where his father, the late Prof. H. C. Peffer, Sr., was head of the School of Chemistry, he entered Indiana University for his pre-medical training, later completing the course at the I. U. School of Medicine, Indianapolis. He served his internship at the City Hospital, Indianapolis, and later entered the Reserve Medical Corps. of the U. S. Army. After serving a period at Camp Knox, in this capacity, he came to Orleans in November, 1937, and leased the home and office of the late Dr. W. H. Patton, establishing a private practice. He was soon recognized in the community as being a practitioner whose interest in and knowledge of his profession was unusually keen. This ability and a most pleasing personality built up for him a good practice that continued to expand. His tragic death is a great shock to his family, his friends and the community as a whole.
Dr. Peffer was a member of the St. John's Episcopal Church in Lafayette and recently became affiliated with Bedford Lodge, No. 826 B. P. O. Elks. He was also a member of the Orleans Kiwanis Club.
Surviving are his wife, Betty Goss Peffer to whom he was married April 7, 1935, a fifteen months old daughter, Linda, his mother, Mrs. H. C. Peffer of Berkeley, Calif.; two sisters, Miss Louise Peffer, also of Berkeley, and Mrs. Chas. Shook of West Lafayette, Ind., and one brother, Lieut. David M. Peffer, U. S. Army aviator, now located at Moffet Field, Calif.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
TERRELL, Thad. Thad Terrell Killed By Train. Accidental death claimed its third victim from Orleans within a week, when Thad Terrell was struck by a Monon passenger train last Saturday night and killed instantly. His lifeless body was found by Monon agent, Azro Moss, when the latter made his daily check of freight cars in the yards at 4:35 o'clock Sunday morning. It was lying close to the track at the crossing just south of the furniture factory building. Upon making the discovery, Mr. Moss immediately notified the county coroner, Dr. Geo. Dillinger of French Lick, who following an investigation returned a verdict of accidental death. The victim had sustained a crushed head and one hand was badly mutilated. Life had been extinct for five hours when the body was found. The supposition was that passenger train No. 4, leaving Orleans at 11:48 o'clock Saturday evening, had hit the man at the crossing where he was found, and had thrown him clear of the track. Mr. Terrell, 51 years of age, was born in Washington County, Kentucky, and he and his family had lived there until thirteen years ago when they came to Orleans to reside. At the time of his death he was employed on the local W. P. A. project. Surviving are three sons, Ruel, Williams and James Terrell of Orleans; three daughters, Miss Mary Terrell and Mrs. Nettie Brewer of Orleans and Vadie Redman of Louisville; three brothers, Jurd Terrell of Mitchell, Jesse Terrell of Springfield, Ky., and Hershel Terrell of Chaplain, Ky., also six grandchildren. His companion, Martha Terrell preceded him in death in 1935. Funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. R. M. Boston, pastor of the Baptist Church in charge. Interment followed in Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
BROCK, Warren J. As long as Orleans shall remain a part of our great and glorious Republic, Warren Brock's memory will remain fresh and green in the mind and heart of her people. He was the first soldier from this town in the wide world war to give his life for the principles for which our country is fighting. His name will go down in history as the first sacrificial offering of the old town of Orleans and his picture will remain a loved impression in our memories. Warren was a noble young man who was a credit to our community. He promptly and fearlessly offered his life in defense of his country. His blue star to represent his service to his country must now be changed to a golden star to prove fidelity even unto death. There was a memorial meeting held at the Baptist Church last Sunday afternoon. Jesse L. Burton acted as chairman. The Rev. Heitmeyer of Mitchell delivered a splendid address. The choir and Miss Faye Collins, soloist, rendered appropriate music. The congregation was larger than the capacity of the church building. The following is an obituary read at the meeting: Warren J., son of J. M. and Mary Brock, was born near Williams, Lawrence County, Indiana, March 16, 1896. He received his schooling in the grades in Lawrence County and came with his parents to Orleans in 1912. He was graduated from the Orleans High School in 1916. During his High School course he was employed by the firms of Brooks & Taggart and the Sare Grocery Company, giving universal satisfaction both to employers and their patrons. After his graduation he went to Kansas where he was employed by the Wells Fargo Express Company. He was converted under the preaching of Rev. S. H. Smith and immediately took his place in the church, and so long as he was in this community he was faithful to all of his Christian obligations. He volunteered in May, 1917, enlisting in Chicago in Co. 79, 6th Regiment, Marine Corps. He was in training in camps in this country till January 19, 1918, when he was transported to France. Letters written to his parents tell of his being engaged in various battles along the west front, one being against the army of the crown prince. When he was at home last December he told the writer of these lines he was proud that he had enlisted in what was known as the hardest branch of the army. Warren, as I knew him, was a young man of sterling worth and high aspirations, having the qualities which would have led to success, yet he gladly laid aside for the time being his ambitions and aspirations to serve the cause of humanity by placing his own life on the altar for sacrifice. He leaves father, mother, grandmother, five brothers and one sister and numerous other relatives and friends to mourn his loss.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
CARROLL, Stella McKnight. Mrs. Stella McKnight Carroll, 67 years of age, died at her home last Friday evening at 10:30 o'clock, following a long illness which resulted from complications following an operation to which she submitted January 14, at the St. Edwards Hospital, New Albany. She had been in failing health since the tragic death of her companion, Mr. Grant Carroll, which occurred last August. Mrs. Carroll was the eldest child of Joseph Franklin and Elizabeth Jones McKnight, and was born in Livonia, Washington County, Indiana November 22, 1873. Shortly after her birth the family moved to Orange County and located in the Wesley Chapel neighborhood. It was here that she made her church affiliations early in life and has since been a member of the Methodist Church. She attended grade school at the Black School for three years. Later she attended Normal School and prepared herself for teaching. In 1894 she was assigned to the Mathers School and it was while teaching here that she met and was married to Grant Carroll on October 17, 1896. To this union was born one son, Frank M., on November 9, 1903. With the exception of a few years spent in Paoli and New Orleans, La., most of her life had been passed in this community. Mrs. Carroll had a rare capacity for friendship, and generosity motivated every act of her life. After the death of her mother, her home was the meeting place for various members of the family, where the true spirit of hospitality was made manifest. Besides her church connected organizations, Mrs. Carroll was an active member of the Phi Beta Psi sorority, Orleans Chapter O.E. S. Woman's Club, Present Day Club and the Village Improvement Society. In all of these she took great interest in doing her part toward making them a success. With the son she is survived by two sisters, Mr. C. E. Traylor of Lebanon, Ohio and Mrs. C. J. Hite of Hayward, California, and three brothers, Clyde McKnight of Robertsdale, Alabama, Alpha McKnight of Cleveland, Ohio and James W. McKnight of Albany, Missouri. Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the Methodist Church, with Rev. Floyd L. Cooke in charge. Two musical selections, "Ivory Palaces" and "Under His Wings," were rendered very beautifully by Mrs. Julius Johnson and Mrs. Omar Kirby, with Miss Marjorie Dodds playing the organ accompaniment. During the service, the Lord's Prayer, a favorite of the deceased, was repeated in unison. Interment was made in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. Pallbearers and flower bearers were employees of the Orleans Oil Company and their wives, and Mrs. Lois Osborn. All had served in this capacity at the funeral rites of Mr. Carroll.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
COGSWELL, Alva. Alva Cogswell, 39 years of age, passed away at his home in the northeast part of Orleans on last Sunday morning at three o'clock, following a three months illness from tuberculosis. The deceased was born and reared near Orleans and had spent his entire life in and near this community. On February 8, 1935, he was married to Beulah McClintock, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Manson McClintock, formerly of Campbellsburg, and to this union two daughters, Barbara Louise and Patricia Joan, were born. Besides his companion and two daughters he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Effie Lindsey, of Mitchell, and Mrs. Nora Bender, of Indianapolis; one brother, Warren Cogswell, of Indianapolis; one half-brother, Woodrow Cogswell, of Detroit, Mich., and his step-mother, Mrs. Wagner, of West Baden; also two nieces and two nephews. Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Baptist Church in Orleans, conducted by Rev. Warren Sanders, of Mitchell, who was assisted by the church pastor, Rev. Boston. Burial followed in Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
FANCHER, Eugene. Youthful Veteran of World War Dies. Eugene Fancher, 17, Victim of Heart Ailment. World War II veteran, Eugene Fancher, 17, died suddenly of a heart ailment yesterday at his home on Charlestown Rd., New Albany. Fancher served two months in the armed forces before it was discovered he was under age and he was released. Survivors, wife, Mrs. Verna Lee Fancher; daughter, Shirley Ann; father, Sanford Fancher of New Albany; mother, Mrs. Gertrude Fancher, of Campbellsburg; sisters, Mrs. Nova Lewis of Gould, Ark.; Miss Opal Fancher, of Indianapolis; Mrs. Beulah Lindley, of Orleans; Mrs. Olive Perkins, of Miami, Fla., and Misses Dora and Lorraine Fancher, of Campbellsburg. The body will be taken to Orleans today for funeral services and burial.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
FANCHER, Sanford McClellan. Sanford McClellan Fancher has been gathered to the lands of his Creator, and this has become the season of Death here among us. As one of a family of eleven children, one sister preceding him at an early age of 17 months, an infant named Ella May, he was born into the home of Sanford and Gertrude Busick Fancher in Washington County, near Hardinsburg, Indiana April 12, 1923, and spent his early life in that vicinity. About eight years ago, with his parents, he came to this (Bromer) vicinity, where he has since resided, has made new friends and assumed the duties of manhood and citizenship. With the coming of the war, he offered himself in various departments for voluntary enlistment, but was at all times rejected as unfitted for army service. During the past few years he has been employed in war work, working in Indianapolis, Charlestown, Indiana and much of one year in California, returning to his home here after the close of the war work. Here at his home on Sunday evening, April 14, 1946, came his sudden and tragic death, at the young and useful age of 23 years and 2 days. He leaves to mourn his untimely passing the parents, with brothers and sisters, viz, Mrs. Clarence Lewis of Gould, Ark.; Opal, Hershel and Loraine Fancher of Indianapolis; Mrs. Paul Lindley , Orleans; Mrs. Thomas Perkins of Central City, Ky.; Thurman Fancher of New Albany; and George William and Dora Virginia in the home; with many other near relatives and friends.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
GARDNER, Orel W. Orel W. Gardner, 67, a prominent farmer of this community, was stricken suddenly with a fatal heart attack early Saturday morning, May 29, at his home east of Orleans. His passing was unexpected, although he had been in ill health for the past four years. He was born in Washington County on July 19, 1880, the son of Henry and Polly Ann Wible Gardner. On November 14, 1909, he was married to Dora Lewis. They continued to live in the community of his birth until 1920, when they moved to their present home, where he quickly established himself as an industrious and good neighbor. Funeral services were conducted Monday afternoon at the Leipsic United Brethren Church, of which he was a member, by the pastor, Rev. Poindexter, assisted by Rev. Paul Sherrill of Bedford. Burial followed in the Fairview Cemetery. Surviving with the widow are four sons, Lewis, Ralph and Howard, all of this community, and Carl H. of Hamilton, Ohio; two daughters, Mary A. of Bloomington, and Mrs. Clair Smith of this place; seven grandchildren; three sisters, and one brother. The obituary, appearing elsewhere in this issue, was written by Mr. Gardner's good friend and neighbor, L. C. Ralston, and read by him during the funeral services.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
HUBBARD, Albert A. Retired Merchant Dies. Death came to Albert A. Hubbard this morning, March 4, at 5:30 o'clock, at his home on South Maple St., from shock caused by a broken arm, suffered two weeks ago. Mr. Hubbard had been in failing health the past ten years, but not seriously ill until this accident. He was born July 21, 1870, in Lawrence County, the son of William A. and Sarah Selby Hubbard, both deceased. A brother also preceded him in death. On April 21, 1895 he was married to Clois Pinnick in the home they had made ready in West Baden, where they lived four years, while he was employed in the G. W. Campbell Store. From there they moved to Kokomo, where they remained until he resigned his position to take charge of the G. W. Campbell Store in Bloomington. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard moved to Orleans March 4, 1904, where he, with his brother-in-law, Oscar Pinnick, purchased the Boyd Dry Goods Store, and he continued in the business until ill health caused him to retire. He also served three terms as a member of the Town Council. Survivors, other than his widow, are: a daughter, Mrs. Clyde Sears, Indianapolis; two grandchildren, and one great grandchild. Funeral services will be conducted Saturday, March 6, at 2:30 p.m. at the home on South Maple, with burial being made in the Bethel Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
JENKINS, G. W. G. W. Jenkins, 56, died suddenly of a heart attack about six-thirty o'clock this morning at his home. "Pete" as he was familiarly known, has suffered with a heart ailment for several years. He was born in Pekin, the son of G. W. and Fanny Price Jenkins, but when quite young came to Orleans where he has since resided. He was an ardent and loyal member of the Louisville Chapter of Disabled American Veterans, serving the past eleven years as service officer of that organization. Funeral arrangements have not been made, but the body will lie in state at the home. Survivors are the widow, Fanny McCart Jenkins; one sister, Mrs. Hattie Hillenberg of Oolitic; two brothers, Jack Jenkins of Bedford, and Charley Jenkins of this place.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
LEWIS, Mary Ellen Warren. James Warren, father of the deceased, came to Orange County, Indiana from Crab Orchard Springs, Kentucky, in 1834 when he was six years old. Here he grew to manhood and married Ruth Ann Van Cleave. They were the parents of five children: Ella, the youngest, born November 9, 1865, was but two years old when her mother died. An aunt took care of the children until Mr. Warren married Martha J. Elliott in 1869. The latter assumed the responsibility of this family. Ella grew to be a beautiful and attractive young woman and in 1887 she was married to Leonard Lewis. This popular young couple established a home on the Lewis farm. Their prospects for a useful and happy life together were bright. With their children to add interest and joy, life seemed good, but the ill health of the young husband and father cast its shadow over this household. Benefit was sought by change of climate for a year but the effort was in vain; after a brave fight to regain health the battle was lost and Leonard Lewis died December 16, 1905. This crisis in the home was met by the bereft wife without flinching. She had ambitions for her family that she was determined not to sacrifice; so by dint of hard work and management and cooperation of the children she has reared a family that is a credit to our civilization. Her undaunted courage in this situation shames the lethargic to a sense of his obligation even under lesser trails. By nature she possessed a joyous disposition and a keen sense of humor, always quick at repartee. She amused her friends and solved many difficult problems. After her children became self sustaining she took up nursing as in other pursuits she made a success. Many a mother in this community recall her ministrations with gratitude and love. One of Ella Lewis cardinal principals was to do whatever she undertook well, not slighting the least detail. Admire her beautifully braided rugs or remember her delicious angel cakes to prove that in domestic arts her goal was perfection. To know this woman rightly was to appreciate her courage, enjoy her wit, love her faithfulness and covet her kindness of heart. She loved the church of which she was a member. A year ago last January she met with a bad accident and has been confined to her bed since then. She has been well repaid for all she did for her children, by their tender care and solicitude, especially Faith and Ruth. She quietly fell asleep September 10, 1946. Her immediate survivors are Mrs. Durous Thomas, Mr. Earl Lewis, Mrs. Hubert Summers, all of Orleans and vicinity; Mrs. Louis Harrison of Beaumont, Texas; two grandchildren, Mrs. Earl Batt of Salem and Louis Harrison Jr., Beaumont. A brother, Mr. Harley Warren, Greeley, Colorado, and sister, Mrs. Ann Bennett of Seattle, Washington also survive. Funeral services were conducted at the Bromer Church, Friday afternoon at 2:30, by the Rev. Forrest Wilkins, pastor of the Orleans Christian Church. Interment was made in the Trimble Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
PEARSON, Gilbert W. Paoli Motorcyclist Killed. Paoli, Ind., June 5 (AP) - Gilbert W. Pearson, 30, Paoli, died early today 2 hours after his motorcycle struck a parked truck on State Highway 37 in Orleans.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
SCOTT, Jesse. Jesse Scott Victim of Motorcycle Crash. Jesse Scott, 41 years of age, died in the Ortonville Hospital in Ortonville, Minn., Sunday afternoon, from injuries he received in a motorcycle crash which occurred near Ortonville the day before, as he was returning home from a month's visit with his brother, James Scott in Tacoma, Wash. He sustained internal injuries and fractured vertebrae in the crash. Mr. Scott left Orleans on July 6, riding a new motorcycle, and made the entire trip on the machine. Since the vehicle was new to him, many of his friends were concerned about his safety on such a long trip. They later learned that he had two minor accidents enroute to Washington, sustaining slight injuries to his limbs. Late Sunday afternoon a telegram from the hospital where he was being treated was received by his half-sister, Mrs. Barbara Tedrow, stating that his condition was serious. At six o'clock another message arrived telling of his death. Mr. Scott was employed at the Paoli Furniture Co. and had a 60 day leave of absence for his vacation trip. The remains arrived in Orleans yesterday morning on Monon train No. 3, and were taken to the deceased's home in the north part of Orleans, where they will lie in state until the funeral hour. Services will be conducted from the home on Friday afternoon at two o'clock, with Rev. M. T. Eicholz, pastor of the Methodist Church in charge. Burial will be made in Fairview Cemetery. Surviving are two brothers, James of Tacoma, Wash., and Omer Scott of near Syria; one half-brother, John Tarr of near Orangeville and one-half sister, Mrs. Barbara Tedrow of Pumpkin Center. Mr. Scott's mother, Mrs. Electa Tarr, passed away about a year ago.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
SHAW, Gideon B. Gideon B. Shaw, insurance agent, died at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 9, at his home on South Second St., just two days after being stricken with paralysis. The deceased was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, on February 23, 1884, the son of Thomas and Julianna Shaw. He spent his boyhood in Kentucky, but moved to Indiana before reaching manhood. He had resided in Orleans the past 38 years. On March 17, 1909 he was married to Essie B. Cornwell of this community, who survives. The remains were prepared for burial at the Ochs Funeral Home and lay in state there. Funeral services were conducted at the local Baptist Church at 3:00 p.m. Monday, with the Rev. A. G. Sinclair, pastor of the Mitchell Baptist Church, officiating. Interment followed in the Fairview Cemetery. Surviving with the widow are four sons, Morris E. and Leroy B. of Mitchell, Cletus L. of Indianapolis, and Robert E. at home; four brothers, Blish of Indianapolis, Jesse of Leipsic, Doyle of Evansville, and Sidney of Los Angeles, Calif.; two sisters, Mrs. W. E. True of Leipsic, and Maude Shaw of Los Angeles, Calif., and nine grandchildren.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
WAYNICK, Ray. Last Rites Wednesday for Capt. Ray Waynick. Bowman Field Detail Accord Honors At Grave. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Paoli Friends Church for Capt. Ray Waynick, of the Army Air Forces, a veteran of the Aleutian campaign, who was killed last Wednesday, June 14th in a plane collision near Orlando, Fla., while engaged in tactical maneuvers. The body, under military escort of Capt. Herbert Andridge, arrived in Louisville, Monday, where it was met by the Ellis funeral car and conveyed to the funeral home in Paoli to remain until 10:00 A.M., Wednesday, when it was taken to the Friends Church where it lay in state until the funeral hour. Rev. W. N. Burton, pastor of the Orleans Methodist Church conducted the services, assisted by the Rev. Stacy Wesner of the Friends Church. The funeral cortege proceeded to Fairview Cemetery in Orleans where the body was laid to rest with military honors given by the Chaplain and firing squad from Bowman Field, Ky. The flag which covered the casket was presented to the next of kin, the wife, Mrs. Kathryn Waynick. The active pall-bearers were six Army Air Force Captains from Bowman Field and the honorary pall-bearers were Wm. Carl Kibler, St. Louis, Mo., Palmer Fisher, Borden, Ind., Lewis Bowles, Dick Teaford, Carl Barnes, Paoli, and Frank Carroll and O. R. Hodson, Orleans. Representatives from the American Legion Posts of Orleans and Paoli attended in a body. The large number of floral tributes were cared for by close friends of Mrs. Waynick. Surviving, besides the wife and baby daugherr, Leah Rae are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ottis Waynick of Paoli and one sister, Mrs. Merrill Payton, of Indianapolis.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
WOLFE, Mary Catherine. Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Catherine Wolfe, 86, were conducted Tuesday, March 2, at 2:00 p.m., at the Primitive Baptist Church, by Elder Ray Jones of Salem, assisted by Elder W. A. Hancock, Paoli. Her death occurred at 3:00 a.m. Sunday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Gooding, with whom she had made her home since last August. She had been in frail health since suffering a stroke six years ago. She was a native of Orange County, born near Valeene, on March 28, 1861, the daughter of Araham and Rachel Goldman. She possessed a kind, genial disposition, and was devoted to her family, church and friends. She was twice married, first to John Jones, later to James V. Wolfe, both of whom preceded her in death. Survivors besides Mrs. Gooding are six other children, Emma Gross, La Porte City, Iowa; Charles and John Jones, Herschel and Leslie Wolfe, all of this place; and Claude Wolfe of French Lick; a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Interment was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
WOOD, Kenneth. Kenneth Wood Killed in Bus-Truck Accident. Orleans, Indiana, Thursday, November 14, 1946. Kenneth Wood, 28, was killed Tuesday night about 9:30 when the tractor-trailer he was driving crashed into the rear of a Greyhound bus parked on State Highway 41, one mile south of Hammond. The bus had figured in a minor collision with an automobile, and the driver was said to be making his routine check when the fatal crash occurred. None of the bus passengers were injured. Following two years service with the Navy, Wood was discharged in December of '45, and has since been employed as a driver by Karl Hall who has the trucks leased to the Commercial Trucking Company. Wood had taken a load of radios to Chicago and was returning home when the accident occurred. The victim was born at Mitchell July 29, 1918, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood. He was married to Wanda Maudlin of this place, October 17, 1939. The body was returned to the Haverly Mortuary Wednesday for burial preparations, then brought to Orleans today to the home of Mrs. Wood's father, Otho Maudlin to lie in state until Saturday afternoon. Then the remains will be taken to the home of his parents at Mitchell to lie in state until the funeral which has been arranged for 2:00 p.m. Sunday at the Mitchell Baptist Church. The military funeral will be in charge of the Orleans Post of Veterans of Foreign Wars, of which he was a member. Burial will be made in the Mitchell Cemetery. Besides the widow and parents, he is survived by one son, Larry Dale, four years of age; four brothers, Harold of Indianapolis, Chester, Robert Jr. and Lowell Wood of Mitchell; two sisters, Betty and Mildred Wood at home. One brother, Glenn Wood was killed in action in the Pacific during World War II.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
BRAXTON, Henry Henley
Henry Henley Braxton, the eldest child of Thomas J. and Mary Webb Braxton, was born in Orange County, Indiana, on September 20th, 1870, and passed away on November 28th, 1947, at the age of 77 years, 1 month, and 28 days. On August 22nd, 1899, at Bloomington, Indiana, he was married to Dessie Bruner. Forty-four years of their life was spent at their farm home on Lost River, near Claysville. Four years ago he retired from farming because of failing health and moved near Orleans. Mr. Braxton was industrious and neighborly, believing in fair dealing with his fellowman. His chief interest in life, aside from his family was the Masonic Order. He was a member of Rob Marris Chapter of Campbellsburg, having been a Mason 49 ˝ years. He was also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. He is survived by his wife; three children, Mrs. Mary Kline of Maywood, Illinois, Mrs. Robert Turner of Paoli, Indiana, and Harold Braxton of Jeffersonville, Indiana; three granddaughters, Charlotte Kline, Sheryl and Jarita Turner; and two sisters, Mrs. Nellie Elrod of Orleans, and Mrs. Ethel Ellis of Paoli; and one brother, Elbert Braxton of Paoli. He lived in a house by the side of the road, and was a friend to man.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
CLOUD, James A.
James A. Cloud, one of the most prominent citizens and merchants in Orleans, died suddenly from apoplexy Tuesday noon, while standing in front of his store conversing with a customer. Mr. Cloud's passing cast a gloom over the entire community for the remainder of the day and its suddenness made the sympathy of every family in Orleans go quickly out to Mrs. Cloud and the bereaved family who were prostrated when the news came to them. Mr. Cloud had been in the best of health and members of his family said they had not seen him in a more jovial mood than he was on Tuesday morning. About 12:30 o'clock he started home to his lunch, and stopped outside their store to talk to Mr. Norman Smith of French Lick, who had driven up in his car. They were holding a conversation and Mr. Cloud was leaning on the car door when suddenly he pitched forward into Mr. Smith's lap. He was carried into the store and medical aid was summoned but only a slight flutter of the heart gave signs of life and he passed away in a few seconds. Mr. Cloud was the son of Nancy Ann Shields Cloud and William T. Cloud and was born and reared in Orleans where he had spent his entire life. Had he lived until January, he would have been 63 years of age. He has been in business in Orleans for the past 35 years and has owned and operated a general store at intervals during that time. He was also a road and building contractor, taking an active part in the construction of many buildings in Orleans. He also had the contract for the construction work in the new Highland Heights addition north of town when it was added to our city a few years ago, and was instrumental in the building and organizing of the Orleans Cabinet Co. His chief interest in the past few years was his farm east of Orleans, on the county line. Since 1919 he has been actively engaged in the business of the general store, owned by his two sons, Ray and Roy, operated under the name of Cloud Bros. He was a member of the Orleans Christian Church and took an active part in its work. He had attended the all day anniversary meeting held there Sunday and no one present enjoyed the day more than he. He is survived by his companion, one brother, Frank, of Warner, N.H., two sons, Ray and Roy and four grandchildren who were the pride of his life. Funeral services will be held at the Christian Church Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Fred R. Davies of Charleston, Ind. Burial will be made in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
DALTON, Rhoda Ellen
The long, useful and busy life of Rhoda Ellen Dalton, who was born August 19, 1850 in Lawrence County, came peacefully to a close June 29, 1935, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Scott Wallace, at the age of 84 years, 10 months and 10 days. She was the seventh of a family of eight children born to Aaron and Jane Hall Wright and was the last surviving member of that sturdy pioneer family. She grew to womanhood on the farm, northeast of Orleans, where she was born, enjoying the life and activities of that rugged period. It was in this early pioneer home that she acquired the habit of industry, which was an outstanding characteristic throughout her entire life. She was married to John Dalton, familiarly known as Jack Dalton, April 20, 1873. To this union four children were born, Ollie and Bertha, two having died in infancy. Besides the son and daughter, she is also survived by two grandchildren, Arnold and Uylee Dalton. The husband departed this life March 4, 1926, after a union of 53 years. Many years ago, she with her good companion united with the Liberty Christian Church in a revival under the ministry of Rev. John W. Marshall. "Aunt Ell" as she was commonly called, was a lover of nature, being especially fond of flowers, her room was usually adorned with beautiful bouquets in season. So ardent was her admiration for flowers that she often made the remark that she did not know how she could live without them. She was also a lover of stock and animals of all kinds and enjoyed caring for them. She was appreciative and grateful for any act of kindness, however small, that was shown her. Altho she had been in failing health for several months, she maintained a keen interest in the welfare and well being of others, this constant thoughtfulness of others extended even thru out her last sickness. Aunt Ell was a good neighbor, a loving mother and her memory will be cherished by all who knew her.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
The community was shocked Sunday afternoon at news of the death of Frank "Frog" Johnson by suicide. Despondency over ill health was thought to have been the motive for his act, which was slashing his wrists with a knife and then fastening a leather belt about his neck which he attached to a bed spread he had stretched from the head to the foot of his bed. He then rolled from the bed to the floor. The suicide was discovered by his wife about 2:30 p.m. when she returned home from her work at the Herle Café. Dr. Ivan Clark, coroner, said his death had occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m. from strangulation. The body, prepared for burial at the Ochs Funeral Home, remained there to lie in state, and the funeral service, which was at 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, with Rev. Forrest E. Wilkin officiating. Burial was in the Fairview Cemetery, military rites being conducted at the gravies by members of the American Legion. Mr. Johnson we one of five children of Winfield and Dora Tipps Johnson, born August 29, 1895. All had preceded him in death. He is survived by his wife, Marie Jean Johnson, to whom he was married on November 21, 1930. Orleans had always been his home. He was a veteran of World War I, and a member of the Warren Brock Post, American Legion. He was an ardent fan of baseball and basketball and played for a number of years on the Orleans baseball team, and later officiated at local softball games.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
Funeral services for James C. Leinart, 51, Roosevelt St., were conducted at 2 p.m. Monday at the Ochs Funeral Home. The Rev. Richard Goens of Boonville, assisted by W. C. Polson, minister of the Orleans Baptist Church, officiated at the final rites. Burial was in the Fairview Cemetery. A native of Clinton, Tenn., Mr. Leinart died at 10:55 p.m. Friday following a lengthy illness. He was born September 30, 1916, the son of William B. and Sarah Wilson Leinart. He was married on December 31, 1941 to Gladys Ray Snead and she survives. Also surviving are two sons, James R. Leinart of Bloomington, and Sammy S. Leinart, at home; his father, William D. Leinart of Clinton, Tenn.; four brothers, William and Jack, both of Brownsburg, Ind., Robert of Jefferson, S.D., and Charles of Clinton, Tenn.; three sisters, Mrs. Oscar Dowell and Mrs. Edgar Sturgill, both of Brownsburg, and Mrs. Joe Farley of Clinton, Tenn. Mr. Leinart, with his family, in 1953 located in this community. Prior to his illness, he owned and operated the Leinart Blacksmith Shop on Liberty Road east of Orleans.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MAGNER, Harry E.
Harry E. Magner, son of William H. and Margaret Taggart Magner, was born August 7, 1862 and departed this life June 15, 1930, aged 67 years, 10 months and 8 days. On January 1, 1884 he was united in marriage to Luelta Wallace, and to this union eleven children were born. Of this number the following are still living. Earl G., John W., Grace B., Anna Mary, Russell M., Wilbur G., Charles A., the four preceding him in death were Freddie L., Harold L., Robert H., and Ruthie F. In addition to his companion who still survives, he has the following brothers and sisters: Anna J. Lynd, James H. Magner, Ruth E. Baker, Grant L. Magner, Nelle M. Magner, Clara E. Magner, Jeruel L. Magner, and a total of 15 grandchildren. About two years ago marked the beginning of his illness and with the best medical aid and nursing he showed great improvement and was able to be about his many friends. All thought he was on the road to recovery. However, he had a second attack some few weeks ago, and although every possible thing was done to assist him, he gradually grew worse until the end came Sunday. He united with the Presbyterian Church at the age of eleven and continued his membership until the last. Harry, as he was commonly known, had a wide acquaintance and was a quiet, unassuming and industrious farmer, having lived his entire life as a farmer in the same neighborhood in which he was reared. He was a good husband, a loving father, who loved his home and his family. He was a splendid neighbor and citizen and his passing will be deeply regretted by the entire community.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
McCART, Floyd Wayne
Floyd Wayne McCart was born December 13, 1907 and in the bloom of early manhood he passed from this life to a heavenly rest October 30, 1929, at the age of 21 years and 10 months. His mother died when he was small, leaving him and his two sisters, Lula and Shirley to the care of his father, Edward McCart. He received his education in the public schools of Orleans, having completed two years in high school. He was married to Mary C. Morton September 18, 1926 and to this union was born a daughter, Rosemary Jeanette. Wayne was a good boy and gave evidence of the presence of God with him and though we lay the body away the real Wayne is living and is safe in the keeping of the Heavenly Father who is love. There leaves to mourn his going his wife and daughter, his father and two sisters, and a host of other relatives and friends. Services were conducted at the Baptist Church Friday, November 1 by Rev. F. C. Luedecke.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
McCART, Maggie E.
Maggie E. McCart, daughter of James and Margaret Clipp Hardman, was born on a farm near Lost River on January 24, 1881. At the tender age of nine days she was bereft of a mother's love and care. Her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton Clipp, took her at this time and cared for her until she was nine years old. After her father's second marriage she returned to the home and grew to young womanhood under the care of her stepmother. At an early age she united with the Syria Christian Church during the ministry of John W. Marshall. On May 10, 1905, she was united in marriage to Arcus N. McCart. To this union two children were born, a son dying in infancy and a daughter, Wilma. She is survived by her husband and daughter, Mrs. Wilma Magner, and four grandchildren, Glen, Billie, Raymond and Harry Dale Magner. She was a home-loving woman and lived close to nature. She loved flowers and spent many happy hours caring for them. In the spring her yard and garden was a profusion of blossoms; these she spared generously with her neighbors and friends. The keynote of her life was the unstinted service she rendered in the home and the hospitality extended to those who crossed its threshold. This home was open to the homeless, and its comforts were shared with others, who needed its protection. Among those were her stepmother, whom she tenderly cared for during her last illness. She lived a plain, simple and unpretentious life. She was industrious, and it may be fittingly said of her, "She looked well to the ways of her household and eateth not the bread of idleness." Her sickness was of short duration and as the dawn of Christmas came she passed to her eternal home, at the age of 54 years, 11 months and 1 day. She was not only a devoted wife, mother and grandmother, but a good friend and neighbor. Indelibly written on the tablets of our memories will be these words, Home, Flowers and Loved Ones. Funeral services were conducted from Mt. Pleasant Church at two o'clock Saturday, December 28, 1935, by Rev. Wells, and interment was made in Orleans Cemetery.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
McCOY, Mrs. Pink (Mrs. William P. McCoy, nee Lee)
Funeral services for Mrs. Pink McCoy were held Tuesday afternoon, May 16, at two o'clock at the Bromer Church, with Rev. Esten Martin officiating. Burial was made in the Livonia Cemetery. Though Mrs. McCoy had been in failing health for a number of years, her death at ten o'clock Sunday morning came only a few hours after suffering a stroke. The deceased was born in Lawrence County, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Lee. On November 11, 1885, she was married to William P. McCoy, and went as a bride to the home near Bromer in which she has continued to live through her life. Mr. McCoy's death occurred November 11, 1926, just forty-one years after their marriage. She was a member of the Bromer Christian Church. Surviving are four daughters, Miss Sally McCoy, at home, Mrs. Earl Lewis and Mrs. Noble Worrell, Orleans, and Mrs. Earl Tritle of Leipsic; one son, Park McCoy of near Paoli; five grandchildren and 1 great grandson; a brother in Lake City, Iowa, and several nieces and nephews.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
MONYHAN, Durward W. First of Orleans War Dead Will Arrive Friday
The body of Private Durward W. Monyhan, the first World War II deceased member of the Army, from Orleans, to be returned from overseas for final burial, will arrive Friday afternoon on Monon train No. 5. The remains will be taken directly to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Turnes A. Monyhan to lie in state until the hour of the funeral services which will be conducted in the First Christian Church, Mitchell, Sunday afternoon at two o'clock, by Rev. Otto Duncan, assisted by Rev. Leland Plew. Interment will be in the Mitchell Cemetery. Military rites will be in charge of the American Legion. Private Monyhan was killed while in the line of duty, May 16, 1942 in Iceland, and his body was interred in Fossvogen temporary military cemetery there. Mr. Monyhan was born April 13, 1916 in Mitchell, but had lived most of his life in Orleans, the family moving here twenty-two years ago. He attended the Orleans Schools, after which he worked with his father on the farm until entering the armed service. It is ironic that the first funeral service for an Orleans soldier killed overseas should occur on the anniversary of the United States' entrance into World War II.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
PICKENS, Lemuel Joseph
So we have come to pay our tribute to one of these who so found favor in His sight that his life has continued for 85 years and 10 months. Thus do we speak of LEMUEL JOSEPH PICKENS who, as the son of Louis and Sarah Tegarden Pickens was born in the vicinity of Mt. Pleasant church near here June 25, 1861. Here he spent much of his life, and on June 3, 1888 was united in marriage to Laura E. Marshall of his home vicinity, and who today, after almost 60 years of happy companionship is left to mourn at his passing on the morning of April 25, 1947. Yet in his passing, she may find much comfort in knowing that his sufferings are now o'er, he is at rest, and that she soon may be with him where partings and sufferings are no more. Into their home was born three children, viz Florence, now the wife of Bert Edwards, residing near Syria; Mary, now deceased; and Oscar Pickens, residing in Orleans. These, with the widow, six grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and one brother, Sherman Pickens of Paoli, by reason of illness today unable to attend this service, survive the passing of this brother and loved one. For the past 28 years or more he has been a continuous resident of Orleans, where for several years he has been in ill health and for the past year confined to his home. Near 50 years ago he was converted to the service of the Master, and became a member of the Syria Christian Church, retaining that affiliation through the remainder of his life. Now he had come to the end of the way of Mortal life. His life has been lived among us, with you, his friends and neighbors and loved ones. He has done patiently and well that which was near his hand so long as health and strength would permit. Let us believe his life has not been lost. Tomorrow will be a new life in that home where life is ever more eternal, and partings are unknown. And there you, his loved ones, may meet him in that day of glad reunion.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
PIERSON, Mrs. Daniel (nee Harrison)
Word has just been received here by friends of the death of Mrs. Daniel Pierson of Lafayette, who passed away suddenly on Sunday, November 6. Mr. and Mrs. Pierson and family resided in Orleans until sixteen years go when they moved to Lafayette. They have returned to Orleans at intervals for brief visits and their friends here will indeed be sorry to hear of Mrs. Pierson's sudden demise. She was born in Louisville, Ill., on September 3, 1880, and when a small child moved with her parents to Orleans. She was united in marriage to Mr. Pierson on March 10, 1900 and to this union two children were born, Roscoe and Leafy. Surviving are her husband, the son and the daughter, now Mrs. Claude Massey all of Lafayette; also five sisters and brothers; Mrs. J. H. Nash, Mrs. George Taylor and Marion Harrison of Lafayette, James E. Harrison of Dayton, Ohio, and Miss Emma Harrison of Cincinnati, Ohio, and eight grandchildren. Funeral services were held in Lafayette and the remains were interred in the Spring Vale Cemetery there.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
TURLEY, Margaret Frances Collins
Funeral services for one of Orleans' oldest and best-loved citizens, Mrs. Oliver P. Turley, were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2 p.m. at the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Turley, who was 89 years old, died at 1:30 a.m. Sunday (February 18, 1953) at her home here. She had been in failing health for several years, but her final illness of a heart ailment lasted only a day. Rev. D. F. Lagle, her great-nephew, spoke at her funeral. He is pastor of the Earlham Heights Presbyterian Church of Richmond. A marriage of 69 years' duration was broken with Mrs. Turley's death. Throughout her married life, she and Mr. Turley were known as among the town's most gracious hosts. When their three daughters, Ruth, Virginia and Eva, were growing up, the Turley home was a favorite gathering place of the town's young people. Mrs. Turley was famous hereabouts for her cooking, and she loved to entertain. During the last years of her life, her greatest regret was that she could no longer cook. Margaret Frances Collins Turley was born August 30, 1864 in Bedford, the daughter of Thomas N. and Ruth Park Collins. She was one of seven children. When she was one year old, her father brought his harness-making business to Orleans. She spent the rest of her life here, with the exception of two years shortly after her marriage, when she and Mr. Turley moved to Garden City, Kansas. She was married December 16 1884, to Oliver P. Turley. Five children were born to them: Mrs. Virginia Busick and Mrs. Ruth Lindsey, both of whom survive, Mrs. Eva Stone, Lester and Carl, all of whom preceded their mother in death. Other survivors are the husband, two sisters, Mrs. M. C. Reed of Anderson and Mrs. Maude Buchanan of Pasadena, Calif., seven grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren, and two great-grand-children. Both of the sisters are in ill health and were unable to attend the funeral. Mrs. Turley belonged to a long-lived family. Of the seven brothers and sisters, none died until five years ago, and all were in their eighties. Mrs. Turley had been a member of the Orleans Presbyterian Church since childhood, and in her earlier years took an active part in church organizations. She was a charter member of the Fortnightly Club. Burial was in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. Arrangements were in charge of Ochs Funeral Home.
Courtesy of Cathy Beard
TURLEY, Oliver P. Oliver P. Turley, 91, Dead of Heart Attack.
Death came suddenly Friday morning at 10:15 to Oliver P. Turley, 91, one of Orleans oldest and best known residents. Mr. Turley succumbed to a coronary attack at his home at Lincoln and Adam Streets, and died almost instantly. He had been feeling as well as usual, and had spent most of the previous day on his front porch and in the yard. Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Monday afternoon at the Presbyterian Church, with the pastor, Dr. John Prentice, officiating. Burial was in Orleans Cemetery. The body lay in state at the residence until the funeral hour. Mr. Turley was born October 20, 1863, to Newton and Mary Field Turley at their farm home north of Orleans. Mr. Turley's father believed his son should become self-reliant early in life, and one of Mr. Turley's fondest memories is that of riding a horse to Seymour at the age of nine. There were almost no roads at the time, and he rode alone. He went into business for himself at the age of 13, buying and selling livestock. In his late teens Mr. Turley entered Valparaiso Normal College, which was later to become Valparaiso University, with the intent of becoming a school teacher. In 1881, however, his mother died, leaving a family of 11 children, and a year later Mr. Turley came home from college and never returned. In 1882 his father married Mrs. Jennie Lindsey, who came into the home and gave to this large family the care and devotion which ever endeared her to them, and to the grandchildren who followed. He opened a successful harness shop in Orleans. On December 16, 1884, he was married to Miss Margaret Collins, his childhood sweetheart. When Mrs. Turley died on February 18, 1953, they had been married 69 years. Mr. Turley always said, "I don't think I ever knew a couple to get thru life more pleasantly. She always did her part." With the exception of two years in Garden City, Kansas, where Mr. Turley was engaged in the real estate business, the Turleys spent all their married life in Orleans. A son, Carl, was born to them in Garden City, but died at the age of seven days. After coming back to Orleans Mr. Turley continued in the stock trading business for a time, later serving as a railway mail clerk on the Monon for five years. In 1906 he started a road contracting business, building macadam roads in Orange, Washington, Lawrence, Monroe and Martin counties. He also operated a rock crusher, and crushed the rock for the Monon spur to Jasper, which now has been abandoned. Another enterprise was that of custom threshing. During World War I Mr. Turley operated three threshing rigs. In later years he hauled sand and stone in trucks. He hauled his last load on his 86th birthday. The Turley home was always known for the hospitality displayed there. Mrs. Turley was a famous cook, and during the years when the Turley children were growing up their house was "headquarters" for their friends. "Having company" continued to be one of Mr. Turley's greatest pleasures during the remainder of his life. Mr. and Mrs. Turley had five children, of whom two survive him. They are Mrs. Ruth Lindsay and Mrs. Virginia Busick, both of Orleans. Mrs. Busick and Mr. Turley made their home together. Preceding Mr. Turley in death were two sons, Carl and Lester, and a daughter, Eva. Other survivors are three sisters, Mrs. H. T. "Aunt Molly" Allen, 95, of Orleans, Mrs. Ella Smock, 93, of DeLand, Fla., and Mrs. A. H. Landon of Jacksonville, Fla., a half-sister, Mrs. F. T. Brown of Kansas City, Mo., and a step-brother, Virgil Lindsey, of Orleans. Seven grandchildren, fifteen great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren also survive. Mr. Turley was a charter member of the Knights of Pythias lodge in Orleans, and was given a life membership 18 years ago. He was a member of the Orleans Presbyterian Church, and served a four-year term on the Orleans town board. Ochs Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
Contributed by  Linda Lockhart
Wayne County Press
April 15, 1920
John W. Childers, born Orange County, Ind., July 22, 1955, died March 31, 1920. Seven children, two died. Leaves his wife; sons, Clifford and Walter of Minnepolis, Minn.; daughters, Lula Wellman of Westfield, Ind., Flossie Wellman of Kirkland, Ind., and Lela at home. Buried Kootz Cemetery.