Orange County Obituaries

 Amanda L. Ellis (maiden name Whittinghill)
Contributed by, Cindy Ellis
Springs Valley Herald, French Lick, Indiana
In the Church News section

Again we are made to realize that life is uncertain and death is sure, as we come into this sanctuary this afternoon to pay our respects to our loved one and friend, who believed in the words of the Psalmist who said, "God is our refuge and strength in time of trouble. There fore we will not fear, though the earth be removed, and the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."
Amanda Louisa Whittinghill was born January 4, 1882, at Hillham, Indiana, to Dr. Benjamin F. and Matilda Weller Whittinghill, and departed from this life on January 26, 1959, at the age of 77 years and 22 days.
In the year of 1901, she was united in marriage to Thomas G. Ellis, who was well known in this county. To this union were born six children, four of whom have preceded her in death--Lawrence and Enid in infancy, Vivian Ellis Howard in 1944, and Arnold G. Ellis in 1956. Surviving are a daughter, Rose Evelyn Ellis, and a son, Frank A. Ellis, both of Indianapolis; a son-in-law, Vane R. Howard, Hammond, Indiana, and two daughters-in-law, Elizabeth Ellis, Indianapolis, and Kathleen Ellis, West Baden, Indiana, and one sister, Sophia J. Ellis, Cuzco, Ind.; one brother, J. Logan Whittinghill of Ellsworth, Ind.; eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren, and a number of nieces and nephews.
Mr. and Mrs. Ellis lived several years each in French Lick and Paoli, while Mr. Ellis was engaged in the business field and serving as a county official. In 1933, they and son Arnold and family, moved to a farm near Ames Chapel. Their home was known for its hospitality and a welcome was always extended to neighbors and friends. It is in this home that the companion passed away in 1947, but after his passing Mrs. Ellis stayed in the home which she shared with her daughter, Rose. It seemed she had borne a great deal of suffering in the loss of the different members of her family, but she seldom complained and still held to the Master's hand for strength and faith to carry on. Then in 1956, the family was dealt another loss in the passing of Arnold, upon whom she had depended so greatly after the death of the companion. For the last two and one half years, she had made her home with Rose, where she departed from this earth to her heavenly reward.
In 1944, she became a member of the Ames Chapel Methodist Church. To the church and the community, she was known as Mom Ellis, and was always ready to serve her fellowman in any way she could, and until she moved to Indianapolis, she served as an officer in the Women's Society of Christian Service and as a part time Sunday School teacher. After moving from this community, she established herself in a church nearby her home, and as late as last Sunday enjoyed being in God's house for worship. She also was oldest member of the French Lick Order of Eastern Star, having received a fifty year membership pin several years ago.
We will always remember Mom Ellis as a quiet and loving person sitting at her desk reading good books and magazines, and in so doing stored a wealth of knowledge, which she passed on to others. The youth in the church looked forward to her entertaining them in special programs, with readings and recitations, which she could so ably render. She lived a common life, but nature was one of her greatest interests and she spent many happy hours working among the flowers in her garden. And we all realize that when we walk and work in the great out doors, we learn to appreciate to the fullest extent, the many wonders God has given us to enjoy. And so it was with Mom, for as she walked and talked with Him, she saw the beauty of the Sunrise and Sunset, heard the song of the birds of the air, and felt the wind as it gently brushed her face.
There was a great love for music in her heart, and she knew a great deal about it, and her children were given the opportunity to accomplish much in the field of music and their accomplishment meant so much to her.
So let us not question the wisdom of the Master, when He quietly and tenderly called our loved one from us. It was as she would have wished it to have been, and her Father in Heaven knows she was ready to answer His gentle knock upon her door and to hear His invitation to step from this earth, across the threshold into Heaven. And we believe if we could hear words from her lips, she would say, "It is good for me to draw near to God, for I have put all my trust in Him."
Her life has been a good life and a challenge to us all to walk a little closer to the One who knows best and whose love passeth all understanding.
We sincerely appreciate the sympathy and kindness extended us by all the relatives, neighbors and friends at the passing of our dear mother, Amanda L. Ellis. We also express our thanks for the many floral tributes, food and assistance so freely given. Especially we thank the Rev. Lester Sweeney, the organist, pall bearers, Rev. Blasdell and the congregation at Ames Chapel as well as the Schmutzler Funeral Home for their sympathetic help and services, and all who assisted in any way.
The Family

Marvin Ulysses Ellis
Contributed by, Cindy Ellis
from Springs Valley Herald, French Lick, Indiana
Thursday, September 20, 1945
January 18, 1866, Marvin Ulysses Ellis was born in Dubois County, Indiana to the home of James M. and Mary Ellis. His many friends, neighbors, and a host of acquaintances knew him as Mike Ellis. The community was shocked to learn of his sudden death due to a heart attack on September 13th, 1945 at the age of 79 years, 7 months, and 15 days.
He was a tiller of the soil and took great pride in producing good livestock and crops.
September 18th, 1887 he was married to Emma J. Lane. Two daughters were born to this home, Mary and Olive--now Mrs. Mary Owen and Mrs. Olive Ballard, living in West Baden, Indiana. This home was unbroken through a long period of years; then seven years ago Mrs. Ellis passed away.
He leaves three grandchildren: Mrs. Donald Freeman, Mrs. Paul Cornwell and Kenneth Owen, three great grand children: Patricia and Rieta Ann Cornwell and Larry Joe Freeman; three brothers: Tom Ellis of West Baden, Ellsworth Ellis of Cuzco and Joe Ellis of Orleans.
September 5th, 1940 he married Mary E. Giles, who was a faithful companion and yet lives to cherish the memories of their home and the association of friends, neighbors and relatives.
He was a member of the West Baden Methodist Church. His home was the symbol of hospitality. He was sincere in dealing with his fellowmen. The community has lost a good citizen. The eternal values of life were exaulted by his living and tomorrow will be better by his having lived.
We think of his life in these beautiful words of the poet:
I see from my house by the side of the road,
By the side of the highway of life,
The men who press with the ardor of hope,
The men who are faint with the strife,
But I turn not away from their smiles nor their tears
Both parts of an infinite plan--
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.
Card of Thanks
We wish to thank the many friends and relatives for their help and kindness during the illness and death of our husband and father. We especially thank the ministers for their consoling words, Mr. and Mrs. Ritter for their efficient service, the singers Mrs. Maude and Chloe Beatty and Mr. Arnold Ellis, the pianist, the flower girls and those who sent flowers.
Mrs. M.U. Ellis, Children and Grandchildren

Submitted by Cathy Beard
BURGESS, Jesse Death came suddenly to Jesse "Red" Burgess at 2:00 p.m. Sunday at his home just two hours after he was taken ill. Death was attributed to a heart ailment
He was born in Orleans, Nov. 20, 1905, to Jesse and Carrie Ada Wells Burgess. His entire life was spent here where he attended school and, for the past 14 years had been employed as tank truck driver for the local shell Oil Co. distributor plant, and his courteous, cheerful manner had endeared him to all of his customers and made for him a host of friends.
On February 3, 1934, he was married to Miss Lillie Newkirk of Bedford, who survives with their son, Jimmie, who is a member of this year's graduating class from Orleans High School.
Other survivors are his mother and step-father, Mr. and Mrs. Doll Wilson of Orleans, Route 2; three sisters, Mrs. Mabel Zonkle of Bedford, Mrs. Hazel Williams, Leander, Texas; and Mrs. Alice Roll, Orleans; two brothers, Russell of Orleans, and Robert Burgess, Denver, Colo., and some nieces and nephews.
The body lay in state at the residence from Tuesday morning until the funeral hours, when it was returned to the Ochs Funeral Home where rites were conducted at 2:30 p.m. by Rev. Carl Roark of Jonesboro, former pastor of the Orleans Pilgrim Holiness Church, assisted by Rev. Lee Luck, its present pastor.
Burial was made in the Fairview Cemetery, with Ochs Funeral Directors in charge of arrangements.
BURGESS, Jesse Funeral services for Jesse "Red" Burgess, 48, of Orleans will be held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ochs Funeral Home. Mr. Burgess died suddenly Sunday at his Orleans home.
The deceased was born November 20, 1905, in Orange County. He was married in early life.
He drove a tank truck for the Shell Oil Distributing company in Orleans for approximately 14 years.
Surviving are the wife; one son, Jimmy, at home; the mother, three sisters and two brothers.
Burial will be in Fairview Cemetery. The body will lie in state at the residence until the funeral hour.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
CAUBLE, Fred Bryan
Fred Bryan Cauble, 54 year old officer in the Veterans of Foreign Wars, succumbed to a four year illness Friday, December 17, at 8:20 p.m. at his home southwest of Orleans.
Active in the veterans' organization since his discharge from the U. S. Navy in 1944, after serving nineteen months in the South Pacific war area, he organized the Orleans and Paoli V.F.W. Posts, and a third county post was in the process of organization at West Baden. He also aided numerous veterans during the past ten years.
Mr. Cauble was a native of Washington County, born December 11, 1900, to Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Cauble on their farm near Salem. In early life he moved with the family to Young's Creek and while attending school, assisted in his father's store and flour mill.
On July 3, 1920 he married Miss Irene Hill. She survives with their three children, Kenneth Cauble, who is attending a Portland, Oregon Theological Seminary, Nancy, a student at Indiana State Teachers College, and Ronald, at home.
In 1921 Mr. and Mrs. Cauble moved to Chicago where he entered his career in music and was leader of a band and other musical organizations in the city. He enlisted in the Naval Reserve and became bandmaster of the Chicago unit.
Returning to Orleans in 1934 he opened a music and locksmith shop, and in 1941 enlisted in the Navy, where he served on the U.S.S. North Carolina as 1st musician. He received his discharge December 28, 1944. He and Mrs. Cauble then purchased and operated the F.B.C. Music Shop until illness forced him to retire from active business.
He had undergone surgery at the Veterans Hospital in Louisville, where he as a patient several times during the past four years.
Mr. Cauble was a member of the Old Union E.U.B. Church; and a charter member of the Orleans V.F.W. Post, in which he had served as commander and held other offices. The body lay in state at the Ochs Funeral Home until Sunday morning, when taken to the residence, and then at 2:00 p.m. to the Old Union Chapel, where services were conducted by Rev. Robert Lutton, assisted by Rev. Robert Cooper. Burial was in the church cemetery where military rites were accorded by the Orange County V.F.W. Posts.
Survivors with the wife and children are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Cauble of Mitchell; two brothers, Clifford and Clarence Cauble of Mitchell; a sister, Mrs. Lula Hamilton of Columbus, Ind., and two granddaughters, Dianne and Brenda Cauble of Portland, Oregon.
CAUBLE, Fred Bryan (2nd obituary) The sun's gone down and darkness has enclosed you. Sleep Sailor boy, sleep on. A Savior's arms are waiting to enfold you, Sleep, Sailor boy, sleep on. The time is not long when the bugle will sound forth, mustering you back again. You'll wake with the dawning and answer to roll call, Sleep, Sailor boy, till then. Sleep in peace, Sailor boy, till the bugle calls you with the dawn. Sleep and rest, God is nigh, Sailor boy.
Fred Bryan Cauble was born December 11, 1900, in Washington County, near Salem, Indiana, and departed this life December 17, 1954. His boyhood was spent on the farm where he was born and nearby vicinity. He later moved with his parents to Youngs Creek and resided there until he was 16 years of age, attended school, and assisted in his parents' store and flour mill.
On July 3, 1920 he took for his companion, Miss Irene Hill, daughter of the late Josephine and Josie Apple Hill. To this union was born two sons and one daughter. In 1921 he and his companion moved to Chicago, where he was active in various bands and musical organizations, during which time he enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve and attained the rank of Bandmaster of the Chicago unit. In 1934 he and his family moved back near Orleans, where he owned and operated a music and locksmith shop in town for some time.
In the year 1941 Fred strongly felt the urge to better serve his country, and went on active duty in the U.S. Navy, of which he already was a member, and was assigned to the U.S.S. North Carolina as musician 1st in its band. He spent 19 months in the South Pacific war areas, was awarded 3 battle stars and good conduct medal, and received an honorable discharge December 28, 1944.
When he returned home he and his wife opened and operated the F.B.C. Music Shop in Orleans, where he was stricken on February 11, 1950. Since then he had spent many months as a patient at the Veterans Hospital at Louisville, Ky. Although he never gained his health, he bravely struggled to be active, and dedicated his life to aiding his comrades by serving as the service officer of the V.F.W. until his passing. He felt a strong tie toward his comrades and although weak in body he could still be loyal to his country's men in, and out of uniform. The Orleans Post No. 1342, Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Paoli Post No. 8302 were organized by him. He is Past Commander and held various offices in the Orleans unit.
Fred was baptized and became a member of Old Union E.U.B. Church where he attended faithfully whenever his health permitted.
He leaves to mourn his passing, his companion; a son, Kenneth, who is attending a seminary in Portland, Oregon and preparing for missionary service as an evangelist to India; a daughter, Nancy, attending school at Terre Haute, Indiana; and Ronald, at home. Also, his aged parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Cauble; and two brothers, Clarence and Clifford of Mitchell; a sister, Mrs. Lula Hamilton of Columbus, Ind.; 2 granddaughters, Dianne and Brenda Cauble, and a host of sorrowing relatives and friends.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Robert Lutton, assisted by Rev. Robert Cooper, Sunday afternoon at Old Union Church. Military rites were accorded by the Orange County Posts of V.F.W., with interment in the cemetery nearby.
As a fond mother, when the day is o'er, leads by the hand her little child to bed, half willing, half reluctant to be led, And leave his broken playthings on the floor, still gazing at them through the open door, nor wholly reassured and comforted by promises of others in their stead, which though more splendid, may not please him more; So nature deals with us and takes away our playthings one by one, and by the hand leads us to rest so gently, that we go. Scarce knowing if we wish to go or stay. Being too full of sleep to understand how far the unknown transcends the what we know.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
FIDLER, James Francis
James Francis Fidler, son of Francis M. and Eliza J. Fidler, was born March 9, 1871, and departed this life January 20, 1956, at the age of 84 years, 10 months and 11 days.
James lived his entire life in Orleans, and worked at the miller's trade most of his life. He was custodian at the Central School building for many years. He was married to Nellie Mae Reynolds, November 17, 1907, and to this union was born three children, Arthur of Philadelphia, Penn., Robert of Bloomington, Ind., and Mildred Perkins of Bedford, Ind. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Orleans, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
James is survived by his wife, children, and six grandchildren, Larry E. and Richard W. Fidler of Philadelphia, Pa., Molly Ann and Michael Fidler of Bloomington, Ind., and James and Jared Perkins of Bedford, one brother, W. H. Fidler, and one sister, Mrs. Grace Hackney of Orleans, also several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by one granddaughter, Donna Jean Fidler, two brothers, John and Charles, and one sister, Laura Kauffman.
He will be greatly missed by his family, relatives, and a host of friends.
FIDLER, James Francis (2nd obituary) James Francis Fidler, 84, died Friday at 1:15 a.m. at his home from an eleven weeks' illness. His death was attributed to complications which followed a broken hip sustained in a fall November 4. He was hospitalized ten days following his accident, and had since been confined to his bed at home.
The body lay in state at the Ochs Funeral Home from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon, when removed to the Orleans Baptist Church for funeral services at 2:00 p.m., conducted by Rev. Robert Cooper. Interment was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Mr. Fidler was the son of Francis M. and Eliza J. Fidler born in Orleans, March 9, 1871. He spent his entire life in Orleans where he was a miller, employed for many years by Heise Bros. After leaving there he served as custodian of the Orleans Grade School until failing health forced his retirement.
He was married November 17, 1907, to Nellie May Reynolds, who survives with their three children, Arthur Fidler of Philadelphia, Pa., Robert Fidler of Bloomington and Mrs. Mildred Perkins of Bedford.
He was a member of the First Baptist Church, which he served as a Deacon, and was a 50-year member of the Orleans, I.O.O.F. lodge.
Surviving with his wife and children are five grandsons, James and Jared Perkins of Bedford, Larry E. and Richard E. Fidler of Philadelphia, and Michael Fidler of Bloomington; one granddaughter, Mollie Ann Fidler of Bloomington; a brother, William Henry Fidler, and a sister, Mrs. Grace Hackney, both of Orleans.

Submitted by Cathy Beard
Death came to Floyd Gammon, 74, Saturday at 1:10 a.m. at the home of his son, Edgar Gammon, following a stroke suffered on Thursday afternoon.
Mr. Gammon, who had been severely crippled with rheumatism for the past eighteen years, was found by his son on his return from work about 4:15 p.m. near the garage where he had been working at some little odd jobs. He had suffered a deep stroke and never gained consciousness before his death.
Mr. Gammon was of a very friendly nature and enjoyed visiting with friends, and had spent the greater part of the day in town, returning home just a short time before being stricken.
The body was prepared for burial at the Ochs Funeral Home, and on Sunday morning was removed to the son's residence to lie in state until the funeral services which were conducted Monday afternoon at Bethel Church by Rev. A. L. Luck, pastor of the Holiness Church. Burial was made in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery at Bethel, with Ochs Funeral Directors in charge.
The son of William and Eliza Duncan Gammon, he was born March 31, 1880 at Mt. Carmel, Ill. When a baby he was brought by his mother, brother and sister to Orange County, following the death of his father. When six years of age his mother died and he was reared by the late Mr. and Mrs. John Laswell.
On November 30, 1902, he was married to Lucy Mirah Street, who preceded him in death April 23, 1917. He had resided in the Orangeville vicinity where he was a farmer until coming to Orleans ten years ago with his son and daughter-in-law, with whom he had made his home during that time.
He was a member of the Orangeville Methodist Church.
Surviving with the son are one daughter, Mrs. Mabel Harris of Orangeville, three grandchildren and seven great grandchildren. A daughter, Mrs. Lula Wiseman, his brother James, and sister Lora also preceded him in death.
GAMMON, Floyd (2nd obituary) Floyd Gammon was born in Mt. Carmel, Illinois, March 31, 1880, to William and Eliza Duncan Gammon, the youngest of three children. James of Oakland, California, and Cora of Mitchell, Indiana, his brother and sister, preceded him in death.
At the age of 6 months death visited this home, claiming his father. At this time the family moved back to Indiana at a site near Faucett Chapel in Orange County. For six years the mother, through toil and tears, provided for her children, and again the grim reaper visited this home, claiming the mother, leaving the children without the guiding hand of either a father or mother.
At this time Floyd was taken into the home of John Laswell, there being reared to manhood.
November 30, 1902 he was united in marriage to Lucy Mirah Street. To this union three children came to bless this home. Mrs. Mabel Harris of Orangeville, Mrs. Lula Wiseman, who preceded him in death, and Edgar of Orleans.
April 23, 1917 the grim shadows of sorrow and death visited this home, claiming the wife and mother at the early age of 33. Floyd, a true and most faithful father and husband, labored through the years being both father and mother to raise his children to man and womanhood.
He was a member of the Orangeville Methodist Church, believing in its standards and purpose and attending as long as his health permitted.
Saturday, December 18, at 1:10 a.m. he departed this life at the home of his son, where he has been making his home, at the age of 74 years, 8 months and 18 days.
Besides the son and daughter, he leaves to mourn his departure, 3 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren, and a host of friends and neighbors.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Denzil Riley McIntosh, 56, prominent Orange County farmer, died Thursday, March 31, at 1:30 p.m. at his home near Valeene. He had been ill for more than two years, during which he had been under treatment much of the time in hospitals, both in Louisville and at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
The body was brought here to the Ochs Funeral Home, and lay in state from Friday afternoon until Sunday, when a brief service was conducted there at 11 a.m., and then returned to Valeene for funeral services at 1:30 p.m. at the Christian Church, of which he was a member. Rev. Forrest Wilkin conducted the rites and burial was made in the Valeene Cemetery.
Mr. McIntosh was a native of Valeene, born December 21, 1898 to Benjamin and Matilda Clements McIntosh, on the farm on which he resided at this death. He was reared in the Valeene community and there, in young manhood, was married to Miss Hester Hyslope, who survives with their four sons, Franklin and Arthur McIntosh of Orleans, Lt. Phillip McIntosh in the Air Force at Tacoma, Wash., and Paul McIntosh of Valeene.
After the death of his father he and his family came here and took over his father's farm south of Orleans, where they resided for about five years. While here he also purchased the Ernest Heise farm, which is now being operated by his son, Franklin.
Other survivors are his mother; three brothers, Cecil of French Lick, Noel of Orleans, and Howard McIntosh of Cleveland, Ohio; and eight grandchildren.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
RUTHERFORD, Martha Jane (January 1955)
Funeral services were held on Wednesday, 2:00 p.m., at the Methodist Church here for Martha Jane Rutherford of Indianapolis, who passed away Saturday night of leukemia at the Robert Long Hospital. The body lay in state at Flanner and Buchanan Mortuary in Indianapolis until brought here Tuesday afternoon to the Ochs Funeral Home. Rev. Ralph Sagebiel officiated at the final rites. Burial was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
Mrs. Rutherford had been ill for four months and had previously been hospitalized for three weeks in October, following which her condition seemed improved for a time. She was returned to the hospital for further treatment a week prior to her death.
The daughter of Homer B. and Curtie Ward Troth, she was born in Orleans Township, October 26, 1914. The family later moved to Lawrence County, where Mr. Troth was associated with the Troth Orchards, and she attended the Mitchell schools, graduating in 1933 from Mitchell High School. Returning here with her parents, she was employed at Producers' Dairy prior to her marriage to Wilford P. Rutherford on August 22, 1942. Mr. Rutherford survives with their daughter, Victoria Ann, who is critically ill at the Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
Mr. and Mrs. Rutherford resided in Livingston, N.J., and Lancaster, Pa., until 1946, when they went to Indianapolis to make their home. She was a member of the Community Heights Methodist Church of Lancaster, Pa., Orleans Tri Kappa Chapter, and Indianapolis P-TA, in all of which she had given freely of her time and energy.
Surviving with the husband and daughter are her mother and four sisters, Mrs. Ray Colglazier of Salem, Mrs. Mildred VanCleave of Mitchell, Mrs. Loren Stephenson, Paoli, and Mrs. Harold Speer, Orleans, also four nephews and one niece. Her father preceded her in death May 21, 1941.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Mrs. Mae Simmons, 71 years of age, widow of the late Nelson B. Simmons, passed away unexpectedly at her home Sunday, June 6, at 5:00 a.m. from a coronary thrombosis with which she was stricken during the night. She was only ill about four hours prior to her death.
Burial preparations were made at the Ochs Funeral Home, where the body lay in state from Monday afternoon until Tuesday when rites were conducted at the Old Union U. B. Church by the pastor, Rev. Robert Lutton, assisted by Rev. Lee Luck of the Pilgrim Holiness Church. Burial followed in the Old Union Cemetery.
A daughter of M. V. and Deborah Compton, the deceased was born August 25, 1882, near West Baden. On September 24, 1906, she was married to Mr. Simmons and moved with him to the farm southwest of Orleans where she had continued to live, and had operated the farm following his death in 1937 until a year ago. She then sold the farm and purchased the residence in Orleans in which she and her aged mother had resided.
She was a member of the Old Union Church, and the Wesley Union Home Economics Club.
Surviving with her mother are one daughter, Mrs. Hollace Horne of Elwood, Ind.; two sons, Menlo Simmons of Oak Ridge, Tenn., and Glenn Simmons of Orleans; four grandchildren, Phillip Horne, Joe Nelson Simmons, Donald and Delores Ann Simmons; one sister and three brothers.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
WHEELER, Charles E.
Charles E. Wheeler, 85-year-old Orleans businessman and civic leader, died at 10:15 o'clock this morning at Dunn Memorial Hospital here.
Mr. Wheeler had been prominently associated with the grocery distribution industry in southern Indiana for nearly 40 years, and at the time of his death, was a partner in the Wheeler-Foutch Wholesale Grocery Company of Bedford and Orleans.
A native of Washington County, near Claysville, Mr. Wheeler was born June 14, 1869, the son of William and Susan Wheeler. He married Lula Watson in early manhood and she survives. The widow, however, is a patient at Dunn Memorial Hospital and in poor health. She is 89.
At one time Mr. Wheeler was a traveling salesman for the Otter & Company wholesale grocers of Louisville. That firm opened a wholesale house in Orleans in 1915 and Mr. Wheeler was named manager.
Later, Mr. Wheeler bought stock in the company and finally took over control of the Orleans establishment. He operated it as the Orleans Grocery Company until the business became a partnership in about 1926. Partners were Mr. Wheeler, Roy Foutch and Mr. Wheeler's son, Charles E. Wheeler, Jr., who is still associated with the firm. After the partnership was formed, the firm was known as Wheeler-Foutch Company.
Active in civic affairs, Mr. Wheeler was a member of the Orleans Chamber of Commerce and he had served as a member of the Town Board. He was a member of the Orleans Christian Church, the Orleans Masonic Lodge, the Kiwanis Club there and the Scottish Rite of Indianapolis.
Surviving in addition to the son and widow are a daughter, Mrs. Leroy Foutch of Orleans, and three grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements, in charge of the Ochs Funeral Home of Orleans, have not been completed and will be announced later.
Submitted by Cindy Ellis
Arnold G. Ellis Dies in Jasper Hospital Monday
Springs Valley Herald, French Lick, Indiana
March 8, 1956
Arnold G. Ellis, 51, prominent farmer of this community, died at 4:45 o'clock Monday morning at the Jasper hospital after less than two weeks illness of cancer of the liver and lung.
Ellis, who started farming here in 1933, was one of the best known and most progressive farmers in Orange County. He was a member of the county soil conservation committee and of the Farm Credit association of Huntingburg for eight years.
He was equally well known for his church work and was chairman of the board of Ames Chapel Methodist church near here.
Besides his farm work, he also was local sales representative of a national feed company.
He was a graduate of the Cincinnati College of Music and in his earlier life was well known as a pianist and recently had appeared on a number of radio stations in Southern Indiana as a pianist.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Kathleen Ellis; his mother, Mrs. Amanda Ellis; a son, Tommy Ellis of West Baden; a daughter, Miss Sally Ellis of Indianapolis; a brother, Frank Ellis, a sister, Miss Rose Ellis, both of Indianapolis, and one grandson.
The body was taken to the Schmutzler funeral home, where it remained until Tuesday morning when it was taken home until time for funeral services at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at Ames Chapel church. Burial was in the church cemetery.

Submitted by Cindy Ellis
Mrs. Ellis Dies At Rural Home
Springs Valley Herald
Thursday, Jan. 4, 1979
Amanda Kathleen Ellis, age 71, died on Sunday morning, December 31 at her home on R.R.1, West Baden.
Mrs. Ellis was born May 21, 1907 in Orange County to Frank and Cora Wilyard Fouche. On December 22, 1926, she married Arnold G. Ellis who preceded her in death March 5, 1956.
Surviving are one daughter, Sally Ransburg, Carmel, Indiana and one son, Thomas Ellis, R.R.1, West Baden. She is also survived by eight grandchildren.
Rev. Menlo Barnett officiated at the final rites at 2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Brosmer-Drabing Funeral Home in French Lick. Burial took place at the Ames Chapel Cemetery.

Submitted by Cindy Ellis
Rose E. Ellis
Springs Valley Herald
Wednesday Nov. 8, 1989
Rose E. Ellis, 78, Indianapolis, died Monday.
She was born in French Lick to Thomas G. and Amanda L. Whittinghill Ellis.
She had worked in the claims department of American United Life Insurance Co. 30 years, retiring in 1977. She was a member of Union Chapel United Methodist Chapel. She was a Navy veteran of World War II.
Surviving is one brother, Frank A. Ellis.
Services will be held at 1p.m. Thursday in Leppert & Hurt Mortuary, with calling from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Graveside services will be at 1 p.m. Friday in Ames Chapel Cemetery.

Submitted by Cindy Ellis
Thomas Franklin Ellis
Springs Valley Herald
Thomas Franklin (Tommy) Ellis, age 50, Rt. #1, West Baden, died at 2:50 p.m. Friday, August 17 at the Orange County Hospital.
He was born October 23, 1933 in Orange County to Arnold and Kathleen Fouche Ellis. On June 12, 1955 he married Kay Dixon and she survives.
Also surviving are two sons Thomas Mark and Carey, both at home; three daughters, Amanda Ellis of Los Angeles, CA, Cathy and Cindy Ellis at home and a sister, Mrs. Sally Ransburg of Indianapolis.
He was a farmer and a member of the Ames Chapel United Methodist Church.
Funeral services were held Sunday at 2 p.m. from Brosmer-Drabing Funeral Home with Rev. Max Toliver and Bro. Max Wilson officiating. Burial was in Ames Chapel Cemetery.

Submitted by Cathy Beard
John E. Brooks, 73 years of age, died at his home Sunday, April 11 at 10:45 p.m. from a complication of diseases. He had been in ill health for five years, but had only been confined to his bed for two weeks.
A native of the Brookstown community, he as born July 13, 1880, to Harry A. and Florence Worrell Brooks. He attended the Brookstown School and assisted his father in farming until 1909, when he entered the meat department of the Brooks and Taggart store here, which later became Sare Grocery. He continued forty years in that position until forced to retire because of failing health. He was a member of the Orleans Methodist Church and the I.O.O.F. Lodge. In January of 1902 he married Miss Florence Williams, who died in 1904, following the birth of their only daughter, Amy Marie. A second marriage, on September 16, 1917, was to Miss Lora Cowherd.
Survivors are his wife; one daughter, Mrs. Fred Pinnick, of Orleans; one sister, Mrs. Russell Collins, Orleans; four grandsons, Phillip, William, Rex and Johnny Pinnick; and one granddaughter, Rita Pinnick. One sister, Mrs. Jessie Dalton, and two brothers, Clyde and Ralph W. Brooks, preceded him in death.
The body lay in state at the Ochs Funeral Home from Monday afternoon until taken to the Methodist church Wednesday afternoon, when funeral rites were conducted at 2:00 p.m. by Rev. J. Kemp Tunis. Burial was made in the I.O.O.F. cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Jane Burnett passed away at her home here Sunday morning about seven o'clock, following a long illness caused from a complication of ailments. She was 76 years of age. Jane was born and reared here and spent her entire life in and near the vicinity of Orleans. She was well known and during her long period of ill health she and her brother, Jim, who made their home together, had a large number of friends, who took a great interest in their welfare and tried in every way to make her life a little more comfortable. She is survived by the one brother and two nieces.
Funeral services were held at the Ochs funeral home on Tuesday afternoon, in charge of Rev. McClure, pastor of the Methodist Church, and interment followed in the Fairview Cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Cleo Burton, 50, Orleans township farmer, succumbed to a heart attack Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Washington County Hospital, where he had been admitted just a few hours before, after being stricken suddenly at his home southeast of Orleans. Burial preparations were made at the Ochs Funeral Home, after which the body was removed Sunday afternoon to the residence to lie in state.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock at the Syria Christian Church, of which he as a member. Ellis Wesner was the officiating minister, and burial followed in the Orleans Fairview Cemetery.
A native of Hamilton County, he was born near Tipton, September 1, 1904, to James and Alva Phillips Burton. He was married August 10, 1929, to Mamie Jane Kendall at Watseka, Ill., and they came to make their home in this community, where he had spent most of his life. They had resided on their present farm since 1946.
Surviving Mr. Burton are his wife; one son, John Richard Burton, at home; one daughter, Mrs. Kathryn Kay Beaty of Albuquerque, New Mexico; four brothers, Otis and Harry Burton of Orleans, Asher Burton of Bedford, and Burl Burton, Vacaville, California; and one sister, Mrs. Myrtle Parish of Bedford.
Among relatives who came from out of town for the rites were Mr. Walker Perry and Mrs. Pearl Pettier of Tipton, Ind.; Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kendall and daughters, Mrs. Laura Leatherman and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Howe, Sr. and family, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Howe, and Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Howe and daughters, all of Watseka, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. Asher Burton and Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Burton and daughter of Bedford; Mr. and Mrs. Harry Sharp and children of Lawrence; Mr. and Mrs. Rudy Burton of Catlin, Ill; and Mr. and Mrs. Albert Pipher and children, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Ramey and Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Burton and Judy of Mitchell.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
CLOUD, Henry Raymond "Ray"
Henry Raymond Cloud, 62-year-old Orleans merchant, died at his home Wednesday, December 28, at 9:30 a.m., following an illness of three months.
A native of Orleans, he was born December 19, 1893, to James A. and May Wellman Cloud. This had continued to be his home through life. He was a graduate of Orleans High School and the Gem City Business College of Quincy, Ill., and served in the U.S. Army in World War I, eleven months of which was overseas.
In 1924 he married Elizabeth McNeely, who survives, with their two children, Dr. James P. Cloud of Oklahoma City, Okla., and Mrs. James L. Myers of Campbellsburg.
Shortly after returning from military service, he and his brother, Roy L. Cloud, entered into partnership in the general store which they have operated a Cloud Bros. for 35 years. Intensely interested in the history of his hometown, he kept many records of past events, and persons long since deceased, he had preserved on films which he made with his movie camera - one of the first in this vicinity. These movies he showed willingly at many public occasions. He was a member of the Orleans Christian Church, which he served as a Deacon; was a member of the Orleans Lodge F. & A. M. No. 153, and a charter member and past commander of the Warren Brock Post of American Legion, of which he was the current historian.
Survivors, with his wife, son and daughter, are seven grandchildren; one brother, Roy Cloud of Orleans; and two nephews, Dr. Robert J. Cloud of Orleans, and Roy B. Cloud of Oxford, Mich. The body will be removed Friday morning from the Ochs Funeral Home to the residence, where friends may call until 1:00 p.m. Saturday. It will then be taken to the Christian Church to lie in state an hour prior to the final services, there at 2:00 p.m. Interment will be made in the Fairview Cemetery with military rites accorded by the Warren Brock Post, American Legion.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
MARSHALL, Columbus Everett
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear Him. For He knoweth our frame, He remembereth that we are dust."
Columbus Everett Marshall, the son of James H. and Semira J. Marshall was born October 22, 1890 in Orange County Indiana, and departed this life February 26, 1954 at the age of 63 years, 4 months and 4 days.
On April 27, 1918, he enlisted in the service of his country and served until the end of World War I, receiving an honorable discharge December 7, 1919. He was a member of the American Legion of Warren Brock Post No. 69 in Orleans, Indiana, and derived great pleasure from its meetings when he could attend.
In March 1934 he came to live with Joseph and Lydia Cornwell at their farm near Syria; working for Mr. Cornwell until his death and afterwards caring for Lydia, faithfully administering to her every need.
He is survived by one brother, Mr. Lee Marshall of Alhambra, California, and was preceded in death by one sister and four brothers who died in infancy and a brother, Bretz, who died at the age of 15. A host of more distant relatives and many friends mourn his passing. As so the life was lived and ends, Of Lum, whose first concern was for his friends.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
McCOY, Russell
Mrs. Grover Hinds received word Wednesday morning of the sudden death of her brother, Russell McCoy, 46, of Evansville. Death was from a heart attack at 7:00 a.m. at his home.
Mr. and Mrs. Hinds and Mr. McCoy's son, Mike, left immediately for Evansville. Funeral arrangements have not been made as we go to press.
Mr. McCoy was a native of Orleans, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Harry McCoy. He is survived by his wife, of Evansville, two sons, Mike of Orleans and Markle of Evansville; two daughters, Mrs. Tom McCart of Fort Myers, Fla., and Mrs. Rudy Burton of Caltin, Ill.; two brothers, Clarence of Orleans and Earl of Paoli; two sisters, Mrs. Hinds of Orleans and Mrs. Lena Talbott of Terre Haute; and three grandchildren.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Claud Pritchett, 66, a native of Guthrie and resident of Paoli for the past thirty-eight years, died at his home Thursday evening in Paoli. Mr. Pritchett was a section foreman for the Monon railway until ill health forced his retirement. The son of the late George and Martha Corder Pritchett, he was born July 6, 1888.
He was married to Pink Hillenburg July 14, 1913. He is survived by his wife; a daughter, Mrs. Phillip Lapping of Paoli; two sons, Harry of Hammond, and Kenneth of Paoli; four sisters, Mrs. Christie McFadden, Mrs. Virgil Owens, Mrs. Reed Bass and Mrs. Jesse Ray, all of R.R.3 Bedford. Also surviving are five grandchildren; an uncle, Frank Pritchett of Jackson, Ohio. A brother, Clifford, preceded him in death.
Funeral services are under the direction of the Ellis Funeral Home at Paoli where the body lies in state. Funeral services will be conducted in the Friends' Church, Paoli, at 2:00 p.m. Monday, February 7. Burial will be in Paoli Cemetery.
PRITCHETT, Claude (2nd death notice)
Paoli - Claude Pritchett, 63, retired section foreman for the Monon Railroad, died yesterday at his home. Funeral services will be Monday at 2 p.m. at the Paoli Friends Church. Burial will be in Paoli Community Cemetery. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Carrie Pritchett; two sons, Harry Pritchett of Hammond and Kenneth Pritchett, Paoli, and a daughter, Mrs. Phillip Lapping, and four sisters, Mrs. Virgil Owens, Mrs. Reid Bass, Mrs. Jesse Ray, and Mrs. Christie McFadden, all of Lawrence County.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
STALKER, John Robert
John Robert Stalker, eldest son of Clyde and Sallie Landreth Stalker, was born in Seward, Kansas, on Easter Sunday, March 27, 1910. At the age of 8 months the parents moved back to Indiana. Later moving to Florida, where they resided for 4 years. Returning to Indiana, he spent the remaining 40 years of his life a Hoosier, loving his state and all the beauties of nature it contained. He loved the outdoors. He always tried to get employment that would keep him outside. His first employment was driving a team on the county road when he was 12 years old. Since then he worked as truck driver, and for 12 years was employed by the late W. H. Coppock as a timber cutter and in his lumberyard. He was manager of the Jay C Store in Orleans at the time of his passing.
In 1931, while employed as a grocery clerk, he was united in marriage to Lorena Jones, and to this union were born four children, Connie, now Mrs. Leon Cheatham, and Beverly, Billy and Sally at home. He was the grandfather of two little boys, Johnny and Gary Cheatham, whom he loved dearly.
In August of 1954 he gave his heart to God, uniting with the Mt. Horeb Baptist Church. Remaining faithful to Christ and his church until the end. He attended the morning worship service the Sunday he was stricken.
Besides his wife, children, grandchildren and son-in-law, he leaves to mourn their great loss the following relatives: three brothers, Clyde and Bill of Orleans, and Frank of Hardinsburg; one sister, Mrs. Lee Collins of Orleans; his step-mother and two half-brothers, Don and Ronald, and one half-sister, Gloria, all of Orleans; four half-sisters, Mrs. Howard Hobson, Martha, Janie and Patty Stalker of Indianapolis, and Mrs. Don Watterson of Mitchell; six uncles, Manson Stalker of Orleans, Fred Stalker of Bedford, Charlie Stalker of San Diego, Calif., Bob, Bill and Grover Landreth of Mitchell; three aunts, Mrs. Fay Terry and Mrs. Curt McLain of Mitchell and Matilda Ailer of Louisville; several nieces and nephews and a host of friends. To know John was to love him.
CARD OF THANKS: We wish to express our heartfelt gratitude for the many acts of kindness shown to us in our sorrow. Especially do we thank Margaret and Everett Ochs, Mt. Horeb friends, the singers and Rev. Ott Duncan and Rev. Robert Cooper, and all who sent flowers. Mrs. John Stalker, Beverly, Billy and Sallie, Mr. and Mrs. Leon Cheatham.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
STIPP, Harold A
Funeral rites for Dr. Harold A. Stipp, 61, well known dentist of Paoli, who died early Sunday morning of a cerebral hemorrhage at his home, were conducted Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. at the Paoli Friends Church by Rev. Everett Chapman. Burial was made in the Paoli Community Cemetery.
Dr. Stipp had recently undergone surgery at the Clark Hospital in Paoli, but had recovered sufficiently to return to his office for part time practice during last week. He was stricken with his final illness just two hours prior to his death.
The son of William E. and Elizabeth Park Stipp, he was born July 21, 1894 in Illinois, but spent the greater part of his early life in Mitchell, where he attended the Mitchell schools. He was a graduate of Mitchell High School and the Indiana Dental College at Indianapolis, coming to Paoli in 1915 to open his office, where he had continued his dental practice. He was a member of the Indiana State Dental Association, the Southeastern Dental Association, a veteran of World War I, and charter member of the Clarence A. Keeth American Legion Post. He was a member of the Indiana State Legion band, had helped organize the Paoli Legion drum and bugle corps, and had served as volunteer director of the Paoli band.
A member of the Paoli Friends Church, he had served as chairman of the building committee for the new church built here last year, and had recently been named chairman of the building committee for the proposed Orange County Hospital.
He was active in Republican politics and had served 20 years as treasurer of the Orange County Republican Committee. He was also a member, and past Master of the Masonic Lodge of Paoli, and a member of the Meridian Lions Club. In 1916 Dr. Stipp was married to Miss Edith Stout, of Paoli, who survives. Other survivors with the widow are several cousins, residing in Indianapolis, and in Lawrence and Orange Counties.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
HODSON, Barry (1955)
A tragic accident Sunday afternoon at the Orleans ballpark took the life of Barry Gene Hodson, 19-year-old Purdue engineering student, and a former Orleans High School athlete. Barry, who played shortstop for the Orleans Merchants, was killed instantly when struck in the right temple by a thrown ball during the first inning a game played on the local diamond against the New Albany Realtors.
Second batter for the Orleans Merchants, Barry had singled. The next batter hit a ground ball which was picked up by the second basemen, who tossed it to the shortstop covering his base for a force out. As the shortstop made the attempted throw to first base for a double play, the ball struck and felled Barry, who was running from first. Dr. P. T. Hodgin was summoned to the field, and he said death was instantaneous.
Barry's father, O. R. Hodson, former O.H.S. coach and now serving in that capacity at Hardinsburg, was managing the team, and others of his family were among the large crowd witnessing the game, which was called immediately.
The body was taken to the Ochs Funeral Home and remained in state from Monday until Wednesday, when removed at 12:30 p.m. to the Methodist Church, where funeral services were conducted at 1:30 p.m. Rev. Robert Cooper, pastor of the Orleans Baptist Church, officiated, assisted by Rev. Ralph Sagebiel, the Methodist minister, and Rev. T. O. Younce of the French Lick First Christian Church. Interment was made in the Fairview Cemetery.
His fellow members on the Merchant's team served a active and honorary pallbearers, and flower girls were friends of his sister, fiancÚ and high school classmates.
Barry was the son of Orville R. and Genevieve Herle Hodson. He was born November 25, 1935 in Cincinnati, Ohio, while his parents resided at Rising Sun, Ind., where his father was athletic coach on the school faculty. The family had resided at Cambridge City before coming in 1943 to make their home here, where Barry attended school and graduated in 1954.
He had always been an active participant in the entire athletic program of the school, but excelled in basketball and baseball. He was a star guard on the Orleans High School basketball team; also he had won several letters in softball and baseball. He played two seasons with the French Lick Junior League baseball team. In high school he was also an active member of the Hi-Y and had served as its chaplain. He was a member of the Orleans Methodist Church and had been active in the Baptist church organizations.
Barry had completed his first year in the Engineering School at Purdue University, and was working at the Crane Naval Depot while spending the summer here with his parents. His marriage to Miss Sallie Jacobs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Jacobs of French Lick, was to have occurred in September, and they had secured a home in Lafayette where they were to reside while he was completing his education.
Barry's friendly disposition, his consideration of others, and good moral character had made for him a host of friends of every age, and the entire community is keenly touched by his death.
Surviving are his parents; one sister, Linda Hodson, at home; and maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Herle, Orleans; two aunts, Mrs. Kathryn Waynick, Orleans, and Mrs. Wm. Call of Milan; and his fiancÚ, Miss Sallie Jacobs, French Lick.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Ed Jackson, 81, Indiana governor from 1925-29 during the stormy Klu Klux Klan era, was found dead in bed today by his wife at their comfortable log home on his 100-acre estate, Fairhill, one mile northwest of Orleans. Mrs. Jackson found her husband dead about 7:00 a.m. His physician said he apparently died about 2:00 a.m. from a series of paralyzing strokes which had kept him bedfast for five years. Jackson is the second ex-governor of Indiana to die within the last week. M. Clifford Townsend, governor from 1937-41, died at his Hartford City home last week.
The funeral was set for 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Ochs Funeral Home in Orleans. The body will lie in state there from Friday noon on. Burial will be in Green Hill Cemetery in Orleans. Mr. Jackson was first married in 1898 to Rosa Wilkinson of Wilkinson, Ind., in Henry County. Two children were born to this union; Mrs. Norman Beatty of Indianapolis (whose physician husband was honored by the naming of the Norman-Beatty Hospital in Indianapolis) and Miss Helen Elizabeth Jackson formerly of West Lafayette.
After the death of his first wife in 1918, Mr. Jackson married Mrs. Lyda Pierce in 1920, who survives. The second wife had two children; Mrs. Earl Parker of Milwaukee and Mrs. Edward Czenkusch of Bartlesville, Okla. They have an adopted son, Edward Jackson, Jr., of Glendale, Calif., whose parents were killed in the Knickerbocker Theatre tragedy which occurred about 1922 or 1923 in Washington, D.C. The roof of the theatre caved in under a tremendous weight of snow, killing many persons inside.
Jackson was in the center of a fight between D. C. Stephenson and Walter Bossert, two Klan leaders, after Stephenson was ousted as Indiana grand dragon of the Klan. Jackson was tried on a bribery charge in 1928, but the judge directed the jury to acquit him because he was no longer liable under the statute of limitations.
He practiced law in Indianapolis eight years after his term as governor, then moved to his Orleans estate to raise Black Angus cattle. The Jacksons bought an old log barn near West Baden and used the timbers to build their home.
Jackson literally lifted himself by his bootstraps from a poor farm boy and factory worker to become governor through one of the stormiest periods in Hoosier politics. It was during Jackson's term as governor that the Klan reached the height of its power in Indiana, and Jackson himself was a central figure in the maze of political maneuvering. His career ran from farm boy to lawyer, Henry County prosecutor and circuit court judge, secretary of state and governor.
Jackson was born on a Howard County farm Dec. 27, 1872, son of Presley and Elizabeth Howell Jackson. The family moved to Tipton County while he as a boy. There young Jackson worked in a sawmill and on the farm and educated himself by studying at night. He began reading law in Tipton in the office of Judge L. B. Nash. He started practicing law after the family moved to Kennard in Henry County. When law business was slack, he worked in a brickyard. His political career started in 1898 when he moved to New Castle and served two terms as Henry County prosecutor. Later he was appointed circuit judge there. He was elected secretary of state in 1916 after an unsuccessful try for the office two years before.
When World War One started he entered officer's training at Ft. Benjamin Harrison. He received a captain's commission and later attained the rank of major. As major he served as Commandant of the Military Training Program at Purdue University the balance of the war (1917-18). He returned from military service to practice law in Lafayette. When his successor as secretary of state died, Gov. James P. Goodrich appointed Jackson to the job, and he was elected again in 1920.
The 1924 GOP landslide sent Jackson to the governor's chair. The first year of his administration was comparatively tranquil. But when Stephenson was convicted of murder in November 1925, rumblings of political corruption through the Klan started. Three successive grand juries investigated the corruption charges for almost a year. Finally, in 1927, bribery indictments were returned against Jackson; George V. Foffin, then Marion County Republican chairman, and Robert I. Marsh, Indianapolis, Lawyer.
The indictments charged them with having offered Warren T. McCray, former governor, $10,000 and a guarantee of acquittal in court cases pending against McCray. In return, the indictments said, McCray was to name James E. McDonald as Marion County prosecutor in 1923. Stephenson also was named as a part to the alleged conspiracy. William P. Evans, McCray's son-in-law, had resigned as prosecutor after charges were filed against McCray. Later McCray names William H. Remy as prosecutor.
When the case against Jackson came to trial, it was thrown out because the alleged bribe had been offered too many years before.
Jackson made few public appearances during the remainder of his term as governor. He was succeeded by Harry G. Leslie in 1929.
Jackson was interested in church work and often preached as a guest speaker. His wife, the former Mrs. Lydia J. Pierce, was once secretary of the International Women's Missionary Board.
During his last term as secretary of state, Jackson got hundreds of thousands of dollars refunded to automobile owners. He led a court fight that threw out a law which had increased auto license fees as much as 300 percent.
Under Jackson's leadership, 11 parks and memorials were added to Indiana's state park system. He also got the state tax rate reduced.
Jackson's death leaves only three former Indiana governors living - Paul V. McNutt, now living in New York; Henry F. Schricker, Knox, and Ralph F. Gates, Columbia City.

JACKSON, Ed (2nd death notice)
[Special to The Louisville Times] Orleans, Ind., Nov. 18 - Ed Jackson, who served as Republican governor of Indiana from 1925 to 1929, was found dead in bed this morning by his wife, Mrs. Lida Jackson.
Physicians said the 80-year-old Jackson died in his sleep. He had lived in Orleans since 1937. He and his wife operated an antique shop there fore several years until he suffered stokes in 1948 and 1949. He had been bedfast most of the time since then.
Jackson's administration stressed economy in government. He had practiced law after he left the Governor's mansion and before he came to Orleans.
The former Governor was born in Kokomo and learned law there in the office of an attorney for whom he worked. His political career began when he accepted appointment as Henry County circuit judge to fill an unexpired term. He was elected Indiana secretary of state immediately before the Untied States entered World War I, but resigned to become an Army major.
Mount Jackson in Dunes State Park in northern Indiana was named in honor of the former governor.
Surviving besides his wife, are a son, Ed Jackson, Jr., of California, and three daughters, Mrs. Norman Beatty, Indianapolis; Mrs. Margaret Parker, Milwaukee, and Mrs. Edward Szenkusch, Oklahoma.
The body is at the Ochs Funeral Home, Orleans, where services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Burial will be in Green Hill Cemetery, Orleans.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Mrs. Lida B. Jackson, 74, widow of Governor Ed Jackson, and formerly prominent in religious and civic work in the state, passed away Monday morning at the Bedford hospital. She had been ill a week, since suffering a heart attack at her home Sunday morning, April 8.
Born November 19, 1881, near Sharpsville, Indiana, she was the daughter of David E. and Jamima Alley Beaty. When a year old the family moved to western Kansas, where they claimed a homestead in Hodgeman County, erecting a sod house and otherwise living the life of a pioneer. In 1897 the family moved to Osawatomie, Kansas, where she completed her education and taught in the public schools.
In July of 1904 she was married to Herbert B. Pearce, newspaper editor of Aurora, Missouri. Moving to Larned, Kansas, Mr. Pearce was appointed secretary to the congressman of that district, and they resided in Washington, D.C. for some time.
Following Mr. Pearce's death in 1916, she was called to Indianapolis, where she served as assistant secretary to the National Secretary of the Christian Woman's Board of Missions, of the Christian Church, and later served as secretary for Indiana in that organization. In 1918 she became field secretary for children's work in the Department of Religious Education for Indiana and three adjoining states. She then served as a member of the Executive Committee of the Christian Woman's Board of Missions, directing the national children's organizations and editing their monthly magazine, "The King's Builders."
On November 23, 1920 she was married to Ed Jackson, then Secretary of State. When Mr. Jackson became Governor of Indiana in 1924 she was greatly interested in the state's program for conservation, and the preservation of historic sites in Indiana. She was a member of the George Rogers Clark Memorial Commission, her great-great, grandfather having served under the General's command.
The Jacksons came to Orleans to reside in 1937, and her she entered into the affairs of the community as wholeheartedly as she had elsewhere. Mrs. Jackson's antique shop, which she operated for a time at their attractive log home at Fairhill, northwest of Orleans, was well known; as was her collection of dolls, representing every nation, which she so willingly displayed and lectured on at various functions. Her love of nature showed in her beautiful flower garden, in which she delighted to work.
She had been a member of the Christian Church since youth, having taught Sunday School classes most of her life; and was a member of the Daughters of American Revolution. She was a former member of the Orleans Womans Club.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
McCOY, Jessie Millis
Funeral services for Jessie Millis McCoy, 41, who died Friday at 2:00 p.m. at her home in Speedway City, were conducted here Monday at 2:00 p.m. at the Ochs Funeral Home, by Rev. Ralph Sagebiel. Burial was made in the Fairview Cemetery. A previous service was held Sunday afternoon at 1:00 o'clock at the Conkle Funeral Home at Speedway City, officiated by Rev. Harold Wright, pastor of the Baptist Church there, after which the body was brought here to the Ochs Funeral Home to lie in state until the final rites.
Mrs. McCoy had been in ill health for more than a year, and had undergone surgery twice during that time, the last time in February.
She was the daughter of James H. and Lucretia Smith Millis, born August 22, 1914 in Orleans, where she was reared an attended school, graduating with the class of 1932. She was married June 5, 1932, to Maurice McCoy. They made their home here for six months before going to Milan, Ind., where Mr. McCoy was manager of a Jay C Store. While in Milan their son, James, was born, August 21, 1933. They later resided in Shelbyville for a few years and then moved to Indianapolis, which had since been their home. When Mr. McCoy became associated with the Speedway City Loan Co., the family built a new home there, in which they had resided since October.
Mrs. McCoy was a member of the Orleans Christian Church and Eta Chapter of Tri Kappa. Her greatest interest was in her family, home, and flowers. She is survived by her husband and son of Speedway City; and mother, Mrs. Lula Millis of Orleans; also several cousins.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Funeral services for Harry E. Peacher, 75 years of age, were held this afternoon at Mt. Horeb Church, with the pastor, Rev. Otto Duncan, officiating.
Mr. Peacher suffered a paralytic stroke Monday morning at his farm home in the Wesley Chapel community, where he lived alone. After being found by a neighbor, Mr. Bruce Harmon, he was brought here by Ochs ambulance to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Gloyne Holaday, where he died at 3:15 Tuesday morning. It was thought that he was stricken about two hours before being found.
He was born November 2, 1880, the son of William H. and Lettie McCart Peacher. The farm where he was born and lived most of his life had been owned by the Peacher family for more than a century. On June 28, 1903, he was married to Sarah Emily Hill. In addition to farming he had taught school as a young man, also served as township trustee and at one time served as a rural mail carrier. He was always interested and active in civic affairs.
Besides the widow, a patient at Craigmont, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Ross C. Pluris, Indianapolis, and Mrs. Gloyne Holaday, Orleans; one son, Clyde Peacher, Seymour; two brothers, Fred Peacher, Indianapolis, and Ralph Peacher of Taswell; and a sister, Mrs. Leland Bundy, Orleans; five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. One son, Cecil Peacher, preceded him in death in 1950. Burial was in the Mt. Horeb Cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
BAKER, Oliver S.
We meet today with faith and hope arising in our innermost souls, and we know that only He from whom all goodness and mercy flows, can be our comforter as we pay tribute to this loved one.
Oliver S. Baker was born September 29, 1868, the son of Frederick W. and Mary E. Crockett Baker. His parents and one sister, Lydia Catlin, preceded him in death.
He realized the need of God in his life and obeyed His call to follow Him early in life. He first united with the Island Methodist Church, then later became a member of the Lost River Baptist Church. He was a teacher in the public school in Northeast Township. He is remembered by his pupils as a kind and loving teacher, generous and trustworthy.
He was united in marriage to Clara Etta Teagarden, December 25, 1890. To this union one son, Ralph, was born. After the death of the companion on August 28, 1929, he made his home with the son and his family until November 30, 1937, when he was married to Ella Foster, and resided in Orleans until her death on June 30, 1939, after which he again entered the home of his son, where he remained until he quietly left his earthy home on the morning of January 13, 1950.
Although nearly eighty-two years of age, his life was not measured in years, but in kindness, sympathy, love, peace and joy that was shown to his loved ones, friends and neighbors. Besides the son, Ralph, and daughter-in-law, he leaves three grandchildren, and two great grandchildren, one niece and two nephews.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
BUCHANAN, Faye Collins
Faye Collins Buchanan passed away at her home near Ashland, Ohio, Sunday, January 1st, at 7:00 p.m., following an illness of several months. Funeral services were held there Wednesday afternoon with burial in an Ashland Cemetery.
Born in Orleans, March 14, 1878, to Thomas N. and Ruth Park Collins, she and her twin brother, Frank A. Collins, were the youngest of seven children. The parents and two brothers, Charles P. Collins, San Diego, Calif., and Edward J. Collins, Pasadena, Calif., have preceded her in death.
She attended the Orleans schools and graduated with the class of 1896. While in Orleans she was engaged in the millinery business
On October 17, 1917, she was married at the home of her sister, Mr. O. P. Turley, to John S. Buchanan of Ashland, Ohio, and left Orleans for her new home on their farm at that place. She was a member of the Orleans Presbyterian Church and was always devoted to its service, especially in the music and young people's work. She was also a member of the local chapter of Eastern Star and Woman's Club. While she moved her church and fraternal memberships to her new home and was active in their work and that of various other organizations there, she retained her interest in the home town, and had continued as a corresponding member in the Orleans Woman's Club.
With her husband and the brother, who resides in Los Angeles, Calif., she is survived by her sisters, Mrs. O. P. Turley of Orleans, Mr. M. C. Reed, Anderson, and Mrs. M. F. Buchanan, Pasadena, Calif.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
CHATHAM, Wilbur Dale
Again we are reminded that the Grim Reaper not only gathers the bearded grain at death, but the flowers that grow between. Thus the longings of the dear little heart was realized, the waiting and listening for Mother's voice were heard Wednesday morning a 9 o'clock, December 26, when the angel bade, slipped into the home and bore away the small little soul of Wilbur Dale, son of Carl and Tracy Webb Chatham (deceased). The mother having preceded him only a few short days.
While we know our baby was only loaned to us for this brief period of 3 years, 1 month and 4 days, the little jewel brought us nearer heaven with his sweet sunny smiles and prattle, but now he has returned to the One who gave him to us.
While we weep and the grief seems almost unbearable to the stricken father and sister, Ellen, and loved ones, the mother is rejoicing since her precious babe has been placed in her arms again, never more to be separated, but there to reach his maturity, under perfect surroundings where the little life will never know sin or sorrow.
Now since he is gone and cannot come to us again to share his little joys and sorrows, we are comforted with the promise that we can go to him. And that some glad day the little, once happy family, can again be reunited.
Funeral services were conducted Friday afternoon at 1:30 at the home of Mrs. A. H. Webb with the Rev. Clyde Polson, of Petersburg, in charge. Burial was made at Mt. Pleasant.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Funeral services were conducted at the Ellis Funeral Home, Paoli, last Sunday afternoon, January 1st, for Dr. John E. Davidson, Sr., 64, of Elkhart, Indiana, whose sudden death due to a cerebral hemorrhage, occurred December 29th at his home. Dr. Davidson, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry F. Davidson, resided both in Paoli and West Baden prior to going to Elkhart where he and his son, Dr. John E. Davidson, Jr., practiced dentistry.
Survivors other than the son are four sisters, Mrs. Blish Monyhan, Mrs. Cecil Johnson and Mrs. Charles Murray, Paoli, and Mrs. Charles W. Lingle, Indianapolis. Interment was in the Paoli Cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
ELROD, Mary Ethel
On a summer day in the year 1883 a little daughter was born to John F. and Lucy Elrod, and this daughter was named Mary Ethel.
Mary spent her childhood and young womanhood on a farm in the Old Union vicinity. She attended the Webb School. All her life she was a regular attendant at church services, either at Sunday School or church. When about sixteen years old she was converted and joined the United Brethren Church. She remained a member of that church, but when the family moved to Orleans she attended the First Methodist Church. She also listened daily to religious radio programs.
Some people travel afar to see the wonders of the world. Mary enjoyed the beautiful sunsets and the flowers of the fields. She also enjoyed being with people and liked to laugh and joke with friends. Everyone mentions today her cheerful disposition and ready smile. In October she was stricken with a fatal malady, and on January the 10th slipped peacefully away to her Heavenly Mansion.
She is survived by two brothers, Claude R. Elrod of Decatur, Ill., and Harry J. Elrod of near Orleans; one sister, Ola, with whom she lived; one uncle, W. M. Hudelson of Glendale, California; two nephews, Loren E. Elrod of Decatur, Illinois, and Gerald W. Elrod of Orleans; two grandnephews, Freddie and Dannie Elrod; two grandnieces, Mrs. Harold Deakins and Mrs. Thomas Dolan of Illinois; and two great, great nieces, Sallie Sue Deakins and Debra Dolan.

ELROD, Mary Ethel (2nd death notice)
Miss Mary Ethel Elrod died Tuesday morning, January 10 at 6:20 at her home here following an illness of three months.
She was born August 2, 1883, in the Old Union community, the daughter of John F. and Lucy Hudelson Elrod. After reaching womanhood she moved with her family to Orleans. Following the death of her parents, the father in 1928 and the mother in 1938, she and her sister, Miss Ola Elrod, have retained the home together.
Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. today at Old Union Church, of which she was a member, with the pastor, Rev. O. L. Huffman, officiating.
Surviving with the sister, Miss Ola, are two brothers, Claude of Decatur, Illinois, and Harry, east of town; and one uncle, William M. Hudelson, Glendale, California. Interment was in Old Union Cemetery. Services were under the direction of Ochs Funeral Home.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Maurice Endwright passed away at his home Saturday, December 17th at 10:15 a.m. of a heart attack. He had been ill since suffering a stroke three weeks ago.
Funeral services were at the home Monday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by Rev. Floyd Cook of Lawrenceburg, with Rev. Leroy Hodapp assisting. Burial was in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery. Ochs Funeral Directors were in charge of burial preparations.
Mr. Endwright, a retired Express Agent on the Monon, was born August 21, 1865, at Borden, Indiana. He was a son of John and Jane Darkes Endwright. In November 1891, he was married to Minnie Hurst, and they were the parents of four daughters, Grace Endwright, at home, Edith Endwright and Mary Pursley, Bloomington, and Jane Huffman of New Albany, all of whom survive. Mrs. Endwright preceded him in death in September of 1943.
The deceased was a member of the Orleans Presbyterian Church, the I.O.O.F. and Modern Woodmen Lodges, and the Brotherhood of Railway Clerks.
With the daughters, he is survived by three sisters, Miss Kate Endwright, Mrs. Mary Wood and Mrs. Ellen Coleman, all of Bloomington; three grandchildren, Maurice Johnson, Corydon, Mrs. Elizabeth Roelli, Sullsburg, Wisc., and John R. Endwright, Bloomington; and five great grandchildren, Shirley Ann Johnson, Anna Marie, Johnna Sue and Randy Kent Endwright, and Steven Mark Roelli.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
FIDLER, Louella
Mrs. Louella Fidler died about 9 o'clock this morning at her home in the northwest part of town of a heart ailment from which she had been suffering the past eight weeks.
The deceased was born April 2, 1876, at Fredericksburg, the daughter of James M. and Martha Elliott Burley. When still a young child her parents moved to this community where she was reared and since lived. She was married to William H. Fidler on May 5, 1896.
She was a member of the Orleans Baptist Church, Royal Neighbor Lodge, and War Mothers. The body will lie in state at the Ochs Funeral Home until the funeral hour at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the residence.
Surviving with the husband are two sons, Frances and Henry, both of Indianapolis, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Mrs. Ella Keith, 88, Paoli, died at the Stancombe Nursing Home, Bedford, last Wednesday, December 28, following a lingering illness.
The body was taken to Paoli where funeral services were conducted Saturday afternoon at the Methodist Church, of which she was a member. The Legion Post at Paoli bears the name of her son, Clarence Keith, who was the first Paoli boy to give his life in World War I.
She was also preceded in death by her husband, James A. Keith, and a daughter, Pauline, who died in infancy. She is survived by a foster daughter, Mrs. Hilda Haworth, and one brother, Albert Acre, of Tulsa, Okla.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
MOORE, Laure
The body of Miss Laure Moore, 74 years of age, was brought by train Tuesday night to the Ochs Funeral Home from Urbana, Illinois, where Sunday, January 1st, she died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Otis Trinkle, with whom she had made her home.
Last rites were conducted Wednesday morning at 10:00 o'clock at the funeral home by Rev. Hollingsworth, minister of the Church of Christ in Urbana, with burial in the Green Hill Cemetery.
The deceased was born in 1876, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moore, and lived in the home on W. Vincennes Rd., with her parents. Two nieces, one of which was previously mentioned, and a nephew, Harry Easley, now of Salem, were reared in this home. At the death of he father, in 1926, she went to Urbana, where she has since lived. With the two nieces and nephew, she is survived by a brother, Ben Moore, of Spencer.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
TRINKLE, Stephen American
Funeral services for Stephen American Trinkle, 95-year-old farmer, were held Monday afternoon at one o'clock at Stampers Creek Church, with Elder William Hancock officiating. Burial followed in the Stampers Creek Cemetery.
Death came at his home, south of Leipsic, early Monday morning, December 17th, following an illness of three weeks from complications of age. He had only been confined to his bed a week.
He was born August 27, 1854, near Livonia, the youngest son of Stephen and Mary E. Leathers Trinkle. On September 2, 1875, he was united in marriage to Saphronia Wible, and to them were born four children; two sons, Herbert and Claude Trinkle, both deceased, and two daughters, Mrs. Daisy Edwards, living in Paoli, and Mrs. Anna Lee of Indianapolis. Death took his companion August 20, 1885.
He was married December 18, 1886 to Eliza Edwards of near Leipsic, and came there with his family to reside. They were the parents of two children, Gilroy Trinkle, at home, and Mrs. Mary Lee, living near Orleans.
A third marriage February 22, 1903, was to Julia A. Stone. She preceded him in death on October 23, 1901.
Mr. Trinkle was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, having united with the Sinking Spring Church when a young man.
Surviving with the children mentioned, are eight grandchildren, twelve great grandchildren, and two great great grandchildren.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
WILLIAMS, Emily Caroline
Emily Caroline Williams, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Daugherty Mahan, was born in Stampers Creek Township, Orange County, Indiana, March 16, 1863. She was married to Benjamin F. Williams, December 22, 1881 and to them were born two daughters, Carrie, now Mrs. John Schepp of New Albany, Ind., and Lula, now Mrs. Charles Shough of Orleans.
She has been a great sufferer for the past year but all that loving hands could do was of no avail, so she passed from this life at her home in Orleans, Saturday morning, January 2, 1932 at the age of 68 years, 9 months and 17 days.
She leaves to mourn her companion, two daughters, seven grandchildren, one great grandchild, two sisters, Mrs. Mary Danner of Elnora, Ind., and Mrs. Clara Kirby of near Orleans; two brother, John W. Mahan of Colorado Springs, Colo., and Peter D. Mahan of Kansas.
She was a quiet, home loving person, a good neighbor and was well known in the community in which she was born and lived for fifty-six years of her life. The remaining twelve years were spent in Orleans. She was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church in Orleans. It was so hard to see her go, but we find consolation in knowing that she is free from such terrible suffering as she endured and is at rest.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
WILSON, Leander Leslie
Death came to Leander Wesley Wilson Wednesday morning, January 4th, at 7:00 o'clock at the Clark Hospital in Paoli, where he was taken the night before following a six-day illness at his home from a heart ailment.
The body was brought to the Ochs Funeral Home for burial preparations and will remain there for the funeral services, which will be Saturday, January 7th, at 1:00 p.m. Burial will be at Ames Cemetery.
Mr. Wilson was born July 11, 1869. He was first married to Nancy Jane Murphy, who preceded him in death. He later married Margaret Anne Johnson. No children were born to either union. He was a member of the Orleans Christian Church and the I.O.O.F. Lodge of Paoli. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Margaret Ann Wilson, a half-brother, James Drummond, and half-sister, Mrs. Lillie Schabury of Terre Haute.
Contributed by, Diana Ireland
The grandaughter of Almon Vader Baker and Jenny Linn Wells and the great grandaughter of Dr. James Baker and Sarah Burgess of Stampers Creek, Orange county Indiana .
Mrs Mary Lou "Billie" Baker Ireland
Mrs Mary Lou "Billie" Baker Ireland 82, passed away Monday July 19, 2004, at Wesly Long Nursing Center.
A crptside service will be held at 2 p.m., Thursday July 22, 2004 at Guilford Memorial Park Rev. Craft officiating.
Mary was born Oct. 4, 1921 in Whittier, California to the late Herbert Benjamin Iliff and Bonnie Annie Laurie Baker Of Paoli Indiana. She was a former resident of Miami Fl. and had worked for the Miami Hearld she retired from Greensboro News and Record.
Mrs. Ireland was preceded in death by her husband Clarence Kenneath Ireland Of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada . She is survived by her children Diana Ireland of the home, Bonnie Ann Ireland of Greensboro , Rex Gilbert Ireland of Greensboro, Tina Ireland Yow of Winstom Salem ; Grandchildren Dana Edwin Gongaware and his wife Evelyn, Kelly Dawn Ireland Kimberly Brooke Yow, Blake Edward Ireland, Brittany Leigh Ireland ; Step great grandson , Clyde McNeely; special stepson William E. Park of Greensboro and her beloved pets.

Submitted by Cathy Beard
ALVIS, Amanda (Ochs)
Mrs. Amanda Alvis died Thursday evening, May 19, at 6:00 o'clock at the home of her son, Dr. E. O. Alvis, In Indianapolis, where she had been taken on April 14th following a week's illness at her home here, during which time she had suffered a stroke. The deceased was born in Orleans, January 18, 1866, the daughter of John and Margaret Grauert Ochs. She attended the Orleans schools and graduated with the class of 1891. After continuing her education at the Mitchell Normal College, she taught school before her marriage to Noah Alvis, which occurred on April 19, 1892.
With the exception of short periods of residence in New Albany and Bloomington, they resided in Orleans and here. On April 19, 1942, they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. This happy event was followed seventeen months later by the death of Mr. Alvis, in September 1943.
She was a member of the Orleans Christian Church, Order of Eastern Star and Rebecca Lodge, and had served on the Orleans Cemetery committee for a number of years. The remains were brought to the Ochs Funeral Home Friday to lay in state. Funeral services were conducted there Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, with the Rev. Leroy Hodapp officiating. Burial was in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Survivors are the son, Dr. Alvis, and his three children of Indianapolis; and one sister, Mrs. Tillie Hurley, Orleans.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
DENTON, Frankie
Frankie Denton was born September 26, 1934, the second child and only son of Frank and Lois Lambdin Denton. Death came to him on November 18, 1951, as the result of injuries received the previous day. His age was 17 years, one month and 23 days.
Frankie had lived his entire life in Orange County, residing with his parents and sister, Mary Jane, in both Paoli and Orleans. In 1946 he entered Paoli schools and joined the Class of 1952 as a seventh grader. Death came just six months before he would have been graduated with that class.
Frankie was among the group of high school boys attempting to establish a chapter of the Order of DeMolay and would have been a charter member of the Paoli lodge. The group will receive its charter in two weeks. He had served as treasurer of the Explorer Scouts until the troop's recent reorganization.
Active in extra-curricular activities at school, Frankie had this year made the varsity basketball team and had served as co-captain of the team for the November 16 game with English. In his junior year, he earned his letter as a member of the reserve squad and was student manager for the team as a sophomore.
He was also active in dramatics, being a member of the Junior Guild and vice president of the Senior Dramatic Club. A member of the Latin Club each year, he served as its treasurer as a sophomore. He participated in Hi-Y activities as a sophomore, junior and senior, and played with the Paoli High School Band in Junior High.
His many activities and the numerous offices to which he was elected by his associates are ample evidence of Frankie's qualities of leadership, dependability, trustworthiness and friendliness. His personality was such that all who met him liked him and were his friends.Along with his mother, father, sister and grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Lambdin and Mr. and Mrs. Walter Denton, we will miss him.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
GARDNER, H. J. "Jeff"
H. J. Gardner, known to his friends as "Jeff," passed away at his home near Livonia at 8:45 o'clock on Monday night, following a stroke, which occurred the previous Saturday. He was 59 years of age. Mr. Gardner had been in failing health since an injury he had received in his sawmill about two years ago, and it was thought that about three weeks ago he suffered a light stroke.
The deceased was a native of Orange County and had spent his entire life in and near the vicinity in which he died, farming and operating a sawmill. He was a member of the Baptist Church at Livonia and had a large number of neighbors and friends who with deepest regret, learn of his short illness and passing.
Surviving are his companion, two daughters, Ruth, at home, and Mrs. William Landreth, near Livonia; one son, Elmo Gardner, living at home; three sisters, Mrs. May Crane, near Livonia, Mrs. Anna Henderson, of Claysville, and Mrs. Ava Stark, of Bloomington; three brothers, Oral Gardner of Orleans, Will Gardner, of Livonia, and Charles Gardner, of Greely, Colo., and five grandchildren.
Funeral services were held at 2 o'clock this afternoon at the Livonia Baptist Church, with burial following in the Livonia Cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
KIRK, Clois
Miss Clois Kirk, the young daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Kirk, west of Orleans, passed away at the St. Anthony Hospital in Louisville, last Thursday afternoon at 3:15 following an appendicitis operation which she underwent on the previous Monday. She was 20 years of age. Before going to the hospital, Miss Kirk had suffered an attack of influenza, from which she had not fully recovered when she was taken to the hospital. She withstood the operation fine and was improving but her heart was in a very weakened condition. It seemed that this condition could not be improved as she continued to grow weaker, and on Thursday her parents were called to the hospital. About thirty minutes after her arrival, she peacefully and smilingly passed away, after greeting her father and mother and telling them she was better. Miss Clois attended the Orleans High School two years with class '31 but did not finish her four-year course. She was a loving disposition, readily made friends, and it was a great blow when her parents and friends learned that she was not going to recover from her recent illness. They have the deepest sympathy of the entire community.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Methodist Church and was one of the largest funerals ever witnessed here. The services were conducted by Rev. Brittingham of Paoli, assisted by Rev. Minton and Rev. Lowder. Interment followed in Fairview Cemetery.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Lester Laughlin, former superintendent of the Orleans schools, succumbed at his home early Monday morning to an illness of about a year. He had been confined to his bed the past five months.
Burial preparations were made at the Ochs Funeral Home, where the body lay in state and funeral services were conducted Wednesday afternoon, April 18, at 1:30 o'clock, by Rev. Forrest E. Wilkin. Burial was made in the Grandview Cemetery at Bloomfield, where the local Legion Post accorded military rites.
A son of Seth and Amanda Byers Laughlin, he was born August 11, 1890 in Greene County, Indiana. He was graduated from the Owensburg High School and the Indiana State Teachers College, and secured his master's degree at the University of Wisconsin.
On May 19, 1921, he was married to Miss Ruby Roberts of Owensburg, and they were the parents of two daughters, Eva Mae (Mrs. William Qualkinbush of Indianapolis), and Jane Ann, who preceded him in death in 1940.
Mr. Laughlin served in World War I. He taught school in Cayuga and other towns in the vicinity of his home prior to coming to Orleans in 1923, where he joined the high school faculty as its principal and coach. He served as a high school principal for seventeen years, two years of that time, in 1926 and 1927 in Oolitic, but the remainder of time and until he retired from the teaching profession in 1947 were in Orleans.
The last five years he served as superintendent. Since his school retirement he has kept actively engaged in various positions, a short time at the Bank of Orleans, the Quality Market, and for almost two years, until his health would no longer permit, he was bookkeeper at the Jackson Chevrolet Sales.
Mr. Laughlin attended the Orleans Christian Church. He was very civic minded and was a member of the local organizations, having served as commander of the Warren Brock Post of American Legion, president and secretary of the Orleans Kiwanis Club and secretary of the Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of Phi Delta Kappa fraternity at the University of Wisconsin, also an honorary member of the South Central Superintendent Association, and at his death, was president of the Indiana State Alumni Association.
Surviving with his wife and daughter are four brothers, Butler Laughlin of Chicago, Ill., Frank and Wayne Laughlin of Bloomfield, and Harvey Laughlin of Mooresville; three sisters, Mrs. George Corbin and Mrs. Harley Page, both of Bloomfield, and Mrs. Roscoe Long, Worthington; also several nephews and nieces.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
LINDLEY, James Alves
James Alves Lindley was stricken with a fatal heart attack about six o'clock this morning in the barn at his home south of Orleans. He had left the house only a few minutes before to do his work there, when Mrs. Lindley followed and found him sitting slumped on a bale of hay. She summoned aid from passersby, who called a local physician, but death occurred before he arrived.
Mr. Lindley, 87 years of age, had remained active, although badly crippled with rheumatism for several years, and in the past year had suffered a heart ailment.
Born March 1, 1862, near Sandyhook, he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Lindley. He was married to Helen Webb and they established their home south of town, where he has continued to live with the exception of four years, from 1909 to 1912, when the family lived in Paoli while Mr. Lindley served as County Treasurer. They were the parents of five children, Arthur Lindley, now of Anaheim, Calif., Jas. A., Jr., Orleans, Mrs. Maude Stahl, Little Rock, Ark., and Mrs. Pearl Lindley and Mrs. Grace Coots (both deceased). Mrs. Lindley died in November of 1926. In 1936, he was married to Mrs. Lizzie Pipher, who survives. The body will be removed from the Ochs Funeral Home Friday morning, to the residence, where it will lie in state until Sunday afternoon, when funeral services will be conducted at 2:30 in the Old Union Church. Burial will be in the adjoining cemetery.
Surviving with the widow and children are a sister, Mrs. Anna McLean, Orleans; a brother, Charles Lindley of Danville, Ind.; nine grandchildren, ten great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Among the grandchildren is Mrs. Verne Busick, who, following the death of her mother, was reared in the home of her grandparents.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Roy Magner, son of John and Blanche Magner, was born May 23, 1920, and died July 1, 1938. Roy was born and reared in the community near Orleans, had a part in the life and activities of the community common to all. He attended the Orleans schools and was a member of the class of 1938. Throughout his whole school career Roy was outstanding as a singer. When he was in the second grade he had a place on the program of the Orange
County Musical and captivated the entire audience with his clear-ringing sweet-toned voice, and from that time and on Roy has had a prominent place on school programs, church programs and community meetings, never failing to please and delight those who heard him.
Roy was a member of the Hi-Y Club and was sent several times to the Hi-Y conferences. He also was a member of the Boys' Agriculture Club. During his senior year he was editor-in-chief of the school paper and president of his class. Roy was industrious. He helped with the work on the farm and did such other work as time and opportunity offered him. Since school closed he had hoped to find some permanent work in which he could realize his ambitions. During a meeting last winter at Mt. Pleasant under the leadership of Rev. Ralph Johnson, Roy confessed his Lord and Master and united with the church.
He leaves a father, a mother, four brother, four sisters, two grandmothers and many other relatives and a host of friends. Roy has crossed the Silent River. His song is hushed and his voice is stilled, yet his sunny smile and jovial disposition will be a pleasant memory to all who knew him.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
MCCLINTOCK, Mildred Maxine
Mildred Maxine, seven-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. McClintock, died Tuesday afternoon at the home in southeast Orleans, about six o'clock, from empyema, following an attack of pneumonia. The child had been in poor health for some time. Surviving are the parents, three brothers and six sisters. The family has lived here about a year, moving from Campbellsburg.
Funeral services will be held at Campbellsburg, Friday afternoon at the Baptist Church, with burial following at Mt. Carmel. A short service will be held at the home at 12:15 preceding the service at Campbellsburg.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
PICKENS, Mrs. Loren (Qualkinbush)
Mrs. Loren Pickens, 23 year old Paoli school teacher, died in the Clark Hospital, Paoli, last Saturday morning at 9:30 o'clock, from a head injury received in an automobile accident on January 14 She had never regained consciousness in the seventeen days that elapsed between the time of her tragic experience and her demise.
The accident occurred on the morning of the fourteenth about 7:30 o'clock, when Mrs. Pickens was returning to their farm home at the north edge of Paoli, just a short distance off highway 37, after taking her husband to work. No one knows the exact cause of the wreck, but it is supposed that the machine skidded on the frosted pavement. The car swerved across the road and crashed with an oncoming machine. Mrs. Pickens was rendered unconscious from an injury at the base of the brain.
Mrs. Pickens was a bride of only three months, her marriage to Loren, son of Mr. and Mrs. Scott Pickens of Orleans, having occurred on November 1, 1941. The sympathy of both the communities of Paoli and Orleans goes out to the young husband in his tragic loss. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harley Qualkinbush, east of Paoli, and at the time of her death, had entered on her second year of teaching in the Paoli grade schools. Besides her companion and her parents, she is survived by one sister, Mrs. Helen Cadle and one brother, Loren Qualkinbush, residing near Paoli.
Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at two o'clock in the Paoli Friends Church, with the Rev. Donald Boyd, pastor of the Methodist church in charge. The Rev. Boyd was assisted by Rev. Wessner, pastor of the Friends Church and the Rev. Mrs. Ragains, pastor of the Newbury Church. Burial followed in the Community Cemetery, Paoli.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
ROBERTS, Jennie L. (Johnson)
Seldom is one called upon to portray the life of a more beautiful character than that of Jennie L. Roberts, daughter of Josiah T. and Maria Denny Johnson. She was born on a farm near Salem, in Washington County, Dec. 28, 1866, and departed this life Dec. 19, 1935, at St. Edwards Hospital in New Albany, at the age of 68 years, 11 months and 21 days. She was the fourth child of a family of nine children.
At an early age she united with the Fort Hill Christian Church in her community and her interest and devotion to church work has continued throughout life. On October 2, 1877, she was united in marriage to Albert A. Roberts. To this union three children were born, Mabel, Everett and Myrtie.
From their home near Salem they moved to a farm on Lost River in Orange County in the year 1897. During her residence here she placed her membership with the Syria Christian Church, later becoming a teacher in the Sunday School and an ardent worker in all phases of the growth of the church.
In the year 1914 she, with her family, removed to a farm near Orleans. Later, due to the proximity of the Orleans church, she, with her husband, placed their memberships with this congregation, where she has served in the capacity of deaconess, Sunday School teacher, President of the Missionary Society.
She is survived by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Harry Fisher and Mrs. Ralph E. Walker, of Orleans, and one son, Everett J. Roberts, of Danville; four grandchildren, Burrell and Clair Fisher, Eleanor and William Ernest Walker. Interests in the home and church were her interests. She was a lover of flowers and found joy in caring for them.
She was gifted with an unusual personality, courage and mental alertness. Like Paul of old, she fought the good fight and kept the faith. The keynote of her life was the unstinted service rendered in the home and church, despite her physical disabilities. She leaves a heritage of inspiration and faith to her loved ones, and we would that she might have lived longer, but we rejoice in the memory of her worthy life.
Certainly there is a great lesson for those who live. If such great fortitude can endure in this length of time, with such beauty of spirit and lack of complaint, Mrs. Roberts has not lived n vain.
Submitted by Cathy Beard
Dr. O. H. Stewart, a retired physician, died at his home early Friday morning, Oct. 19, following an illness of more than two years, during most of that period of time he was confined to his bed.
He was born in 1860 at Marengo. Following his graduation from medical school he began the practice of medicine at Boonville, later going to Marengo, and they to Syria. In 1903 he moved with his family to Orleans where he enjoyed an extensive practice until failing health forces his retirement in 1939, after 60 years of faithful, conscientious service to his community.
In July 1885, he was married to Miss Josephine Paterson of Valeene, who survives with two daughters, Miss Lela Stewart, Washington, D.C. and Mrs. Clare Young, Loogootee. Burial preparation was made at the Ochs Funeral Home. The body lay in state there and on Sunday afternoon funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Forrest Wilkin, pastor of the local Christian Church, of which the deceased was a member. Burial was made in the Fairview Cemetery.

Submitted by Diana Ireland
Mr. William Gene Rogers 77 died Oct 14 2004 at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro North Carolina. He was born April 08 1927 in Orange County Indiana near French Lick. He was the oldest son of Howard and Anna Rogers. One sister Ruby Rogers Watterson and one brother Clark Rogers both deceased. One daughter Cara Rogers, Donna Rogers Spencer and husband John Spencer. Judy Leah Rogers and four grandchildren. He moved to Greensboro in 1968 and owned Bills Pizza Pub Restaurants.