Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Orleans Progress Examiner, January 10, 1918: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Thos. E Bowles, son of Greenbury and Lydia Bowles, was born Feb 2, 1845, at Laswell, Tenn. When a child his parents moved to Indiana, in which state he has since made his home. In 1867 he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah McCart, and to this union one son was born, T. E. Bowles, Jr., of Orleans. In 1871, the mother passed away and in 1884 he was married to Miss Lettie Purkheiser, of West Baden, and to this union four children were born, three of whom are still living. Mrs. Lettie Bowles passed away on April 29, 1896, leaving him with three small girls to whom he was both father and mother. He was a life long member of the First Christian church. The greater part of his life was spent in Orleans. About 14 years ago he moved to Bloomington, Ind., at which place he resided at the time of his death. Mr. Bowles had been in failing health for some time but only a few days ago did they realize the end was so near. He passed away Jan 1, 1918, at the age of 73 years, 11 months and 1 day, leaving four children to mourn his death, Thos. E Bowles, Jr., Mrs. James Bauldridge of Orleans, Misses Essie and Alice Bowles of Bloomington, Ind.


Orleans Progress, May 3, 1894: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

 Mrs. Thomas E Bowles died last Sunday afternoon at her late home in sourth Orleans, of consumption. She had been confined to her room for the past eight months, and to her bed during the thirty days previous to her demise. Her age was thirty-two years. She was the second wife of Thomas E Bowles, sr., and from this union were born three daughters, all of them yet small, who survive her. To the sorrowing husband and family we extend our sympathy. The funeral was preached at the Christian church by Eld Scully, and the remains were interred in Green Hill cemetery on Monday afternoon.


Orleans Progress Examiner, Nov 13, 1913: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Mrs. Charles Coulter died at the home of her father, George Allen, Monday. Funeral at Ames Wednesday. She was struck with a ball at school six years ago and injured which caused her death. She was 22 years old and leaves a husband, father, mother, and a number of relatives to mourn her departure. We extend our heart-felt sympathy to all sorrowing relatives and friends.


Orleans Progress Examiner, March 21, 1912: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Mrs. Ann Clements quietly passed away on the evening of March 8, 1912, leaving for example a life of devotion to others. Her maiden name was Sallee. She was born Dec 19, 1832; was married to John G Clements Dec 21, 1854, and was his honored companion for more than fifty-five years. In the home are left Williamson and daughter Nellie and the aged and respected father. Other surviving ones of her family are James E Clements and family and the family of Erastus Doak. Mrs. Clements possessed superior domestic and social talent and her influence is deep and lasting. She was a true Christian, was a member of the Presbyterian church at Paoli, Ind. Funeral services were held Sunday March 10, from the Presbyterian church at Paoli. Some of her last conscious hours were spent in prayer for her neighbors and friends and the dear ones of her family left to cherish her memory and emulate her virtues.


Orleans Progress Examiner, April 12, 1923: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Anna Cynthia Doak, daughter of Erastus and Christiana Doak, was born, July 31, 1817, on a farm near Bromer, Indiana, and grew to young womanhood in her childhood home. Later the family moved to Bromer and then to a farm near French Lick, where her father died nine years ago. Since the father’s death, the family has lived in Paoli, until very recently when their home was again established at Bromer. Anna’s illness was of short duration and was the result of an attack of “flu”. Her last hours were spent in a state of unconsciousness. She seemed to realize her condition, and said to her mother that she was “very happy.” She had been baptized in infancy into covenant relations with the Presbyterian church of Livonia, Ind., and understood the Gospel message and was a quite student of the Word, although she had never received into full church membership. Her life ended on Easter Sunday, April 1, 1923, and we trust the happiness of which she gave expression during her last illness is now enhanced many fold. Her quiet unassuming life on earth is ended. She will be most missed in the little family circle from which she was rarely absent for a day. Besides the mother, two sisters, Miss Addie Doak and Mrs. Elza Pruett, of French Lick and one brother, Charles E Doak, of Bromer, are left to mourn her loss.

Orleans Progress Examiner, Nov 29, 1917: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Laura Emma Claxton, daughter of Thos. V and Rosanna Claxton, was born near Paoli, Ind., Oct. 2, 1868. Departed from this life Nov. 17, 1917, aged 49 years, 1 month and 15 days. At an early age she was converted in the United Brethren Church at Mt. Gilead and became a member of the same church. In later life, she removed her membership to the United Brethren Church in French Lick, where she remained a member until her death. On April 16, 1900, she was married to Charles D Holler of Saltillo, Ind. A more noble helpmate never graced a home than she was. She shared to the fullest every responsibility. She was never known to shirk a duty. She toiled early and late, working willingly with her hands. Truly it can be said of her in the language of the preacher, "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." About six months ago she was stricken with a disease from which she knew she could not recover. Her suffering was great, but she was so resigned to it and bore it with as much patience that her own loved ones did not realize that the time of her going was so near. In speaking of the future she always said, "If it is the Lord's will for me to go, I am ready. She leaves a husband, mother, three brothers and one sister and many friends to mourn her departure. Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. Taylor, and her body laid to rest in the Ames cemetery. "Not now, but in the coming years, It may be in the better land, We'll read the meaning of our tears, And there, sometime, we'll understand."

Orleans Progress Examiner, June 28, 1906: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Jesse Alexander Irvine was born April 13, 1819, upon the farm of his father, now called the Henderson farm, near the Irvine school in this township, and died the 21st of the present month, in his 88th year. He came from sturdy Scotch-Irish stock, and throughout his long life showed the sterling traits of his race. His father served throughout the Revolutionary was as a soldier under General Greene, and Mr. Irvine was the last man in this section of country whose father had fought in or lived through the War for Independence. Until he was near sixteen years of age he lived with his father, getting the meager schooling which those times afforded, then he came to town to learn the trade of a tailor, which he industriously followed until his age caused him to quit. About the year 1847 he was first married to Sarah Rankin, and to them were born a daughter and two sons. The wife and daughter died in 1854, and the sons died in their early manhood. In 1861 he was united in marriage with Louisa McCoy, who, at the age of 81, survives him with Elta, their only child. He became a member of the Presbyterian church in March 1846, and served his church as a deacon for the last forty-five years, and also as a trustee for the past twenty years. For fifty-two years he has been a faithful and constant member of the Orleans Masonic Lodge, and has served as its treasurer since 1879. Twice he served the people as township trustee, and later was made postmaster of Orleans. In character, Uncle Jesse is so well known to all here that it seems almost useless to try to say what is already known. It seems much to say, but it can be said truthfully that there is probably not a man, woman or child in the community who knew or has heard of his doing an intentional wrong to any of his fellow creatures. In his nature he was modest and retiring, and kind and gentle in his daily contact with his family and friends. When, as an official in church, public, or in private life, a question of right or wrong arose, he did his best to find the right, and when he took a stand, could be as firm for the right as he was gentle with the weak, or charitable toward the erring ones. His domestic life was singularly pure and happy, and the names of Uncle Jesse and Aunt Lou Irvine will recall to our minds a home in which the sympathy between husband and wife was near perfect. In the great pain which his last sickness brought upon his, his simple faith in his God was strong. He went to the better land in the way a little child goes to sleep in parental arms. His message to us was his good life. We have heard it and are helped.

Orleans Progress Examiner, March 24, 1910: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Louisa Campbell McCoy was born April 3, 1826; was married to Jesse A. Irvine April 16, 1861 and died March 20, 1910, at the ripe old age of 83 years, 11 months and 19 days. Mrs. Irvine grew to womanhood on her father’s fam near Livonia. Early in life she made a public profession of religion, and to the day of her death she never wavered from the faith. She was thoroughly Presbyterian, and the old Orleans church never had a more consecrated, faithful and punctual attendant on all the services of the church than she was, while physically able to attend. Scores and hundreds of times she and her good husband housed and cared for the preachers, transient or otherwise, and never questioned it being a part of their religious duty to do so. Like the good old-style Presbyterian that she was, Aunt Lou always took her religion along when she went anywhere. Now that she has fought the good fight, finished her course, and so nobly kept the faith, let those of us who have known her so long and so well, strive hard to imitate the goodly example she set before all those with whom she ever came in contact. Mrs. Frank King, with whom Mrs. Irvine has lived since the death of Uncle Jesse, some years ago, is the only surviving member of that branch of the Irvine family. Let Mrs. King and her family rest assured that the community believes that, in the death of her mother, another good soul has entered upon that eternal rest, prepared for the righteous from the beginning of the world.

Orleans Progress Examiner, Mar 23, 1916: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Death comes to Ed Smith. On January 4, 1875 at Guthrie, a little stranger came into the home of Henry and Elizabeth Langford Smith to gladden their hearts for a while. This precious one was Hugh Edgar Smith, the baby boy of a family of eight boys and girls. On Mar 19, 1916, God loosened the golden cord and Ed’s spirit took its flight from this world of pain and sorrow, went to live in the beautiful sunshine of God’s love. October 1901, he was married to Lyda [sic] Moore and with this youthful companion he spent a little more than two years when God called her home. November 12, 1908, he was married to Miss Alma Lynd. This loving wife, with five darling little ones who are yet too young to remember, is left to mourn their loss. He leaves a devoted mother who ministered to her boy first and last. Also, two brothers, Frank of Mitchell, Elmer of Bedford, two sisters, Mrs. Lawrence Beasley and Mrs. Grover Hopper both of Orleans. Those waiting on the other shore are father, brothers, Harry and Joe and sister, Fannie, with beckoning hands now outstretched with a gladsome welcome for Ed as we all knew him. Ed was 41 years, 2 months and 21 days of age. He never made any profession of religion, but always lived a good upright life. To know him was to love him. He was a good husband and father, a dutiful son. Now to him we pay the highest tribute which can be paid to anyone, “He was a good man.” The funeral services were held at his mother’s residence Monday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock conducted by Eld. T J Scully after which the remains were laid to rest in our beautiful city of the dead, there to await the last glad summons.


Orleans Progress Examiner, Orleans, IN, Aug 7, 1919: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

The subject of this sketch was born in Orange County, State of Indiana, Aug 10, 1836, on a farm known as the Lafayette Stout farm; in a log house where he lived for two years. From there he moved with his parents to Clark County, Illinois, making the trip in an old North Carolina wagon. In two years they returned to what was then known as the Joe Henley farm, where Dave Fleming now lives. He there grew up and went about two and one-half miles to a subscription school. When about 12 years old they moved to the farm where Walter Braxtan now lives and obtained the balance of his education at Lick Creek school. With this meagre education he taught a large subscription school in Chambersburg in 1859. He was there united in marriage to Mary Adaline Cadle on May 16, 1861. To this union was born eight children, two of which have preceded him to the better land. Bessie, who died in infancy, and Della Bosley. There remains to mourn his loss John I Stout and Addie Boyd of Paoli, William Stout of Berea, Ky, Elvis and Charles Stout of Salem, and Mary May of Arcola, Ill: also one brother, John T Stout, of Paoli, and two sisters, Ellen Jones of Paoli and Clara Hill of Hutchinson, Kan. When the Civil War broke out he volunteered and enlisted in the 24th Ind, where he made a good soldier, serving from 1862 to 1863, when he received his discharge at Galveston, Texas. In 1872, he was converted and joined the M E Church. He held meeting in what is known as the Atkinson school house and gathered in about thirty-five members and contrary to the will of the community they were locked out. He then rallied his forces, and built what is known as Stout's Chapel or was principal Donor. The members took hold with a vim and in three months the house was ready to hold quarterly meeting. He was then licensed as a preacher and given a circuit of seven points in the northern part of Crawford counties. His converts were numbered by the hundreds. He stood in favor with the young people and by rprfect [sic] record solemnized [blurry, possibly 98] marriages and went far and near to preach funerals which were many. He always stood on the watch tower waiting for the summons to call him home. On Sept 3, 1909, the faithful wife of his youth departed this life and on May 23, 1917 he married his present wife, Mary E Moon, who was a constant and faithful companion to the end, which after three years of unmurmuring suffering, occurred July 13, 1919, aged 83 years, 11 months and 3 days. Funeral services were conducted at the Lick Creek Church on Tuesday by Revs McCullough and Dunner. Interment in cemetery near by.


Paoli Republican, July 16, 1919: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

William Stout, one of the oldest residents of this community died at his home 2 1/2 miles east of Paoli, near Lick Creek Church, Sunday afternoon, after a long illness, aged 83 years, 11 months and 8 days. He was born and had always lived in the vicinity where he died. He was the eldest son of the late Iram Stout and was twice married. He is survived by his widow, four sons, John I., near Paoli, William, of Kentucky, and Elvis and Charles A., of Salem, and two daughters, Mrs. Delmont Boyd, east of Paoli, and Mrs. May, of Illinois. The funeral services were held at Lick Creek Church yesterday afternoon, interment following in the cemetery adjoining. Mr. Stout was a veteran of the Civil War, having been a member of the old 24th Indiana Volunteers.


Orleans Progress Examiner, March 3, 1910: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

Samuel R Tegarden Dead. Samuel R Tegarden died last Sunday at his home in Columbia, Tenn., after a short illness. News of his death was quite a surprise to his friends here as very few knew of his illness. His son, W. L. Tegarden, of this place, was notified and left here last Friday, reaching there before he died. Bob Tegarden, as he was more familiarly called was once a resident of North East township and was perhaps as well known to Orange County people at one one time, as any man in the county. During the existence of the Paoli and Orleans Fairs, his was a familiar face in the little ring and his decisions were rarely ever questioned. He was a staunch of true friend, a husband always kind and indulgent to this family, and a neighbor who was hospitable and friendly. He was a soldier in the civil war belonging to Co. A. 2nd Ky Inf. and for many years was active in politics. He was once a candidate for sheriff, losing only by a few votes. He had many warm personal friends, who regret to hear of his death. To the widow, children and friends we extend our sympathy.


Paoli Republican, Aug 3, 1921: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

William Arcus Wells was born near Paoli, Indiana, Sept 25, 1855. Departed this life June 10, 1921, aged 65 years, 8 months and 21 days. He was the oldest son of John R and Charity Wells. He was united in marriage July 7, 1877 to Mary J Webb who yet survives. To this union were born six children, Nora, William, Bessie and Grace who preceded him to the Great Beyond. Bertie and Pearl yet living. He also leaves one step-daughter, Mrs. Carrie Riddle, two brothers, Eli J and Noah Wells, three sisters, Mrs. Samuel Hudelson, Mrs Will Brock and Mrs. Rebecca Kimmell and a host of other near relatives and friends to mourn their loss. Ark, as he was always known, was a devoted husband and father, a true friend and a good neighbor. During his four weeks of severe pain and suffering, he was cheerful and bore his afflictions joyfully. He felt the need of a Saviour and on the evening of June 1st, he sought and found Him and was made to rejoice and several times afterward had his friends and relatives come about his bedside and sing and pray with him. There is no doubt but that he has gone to the Mansions prepared for him in the skies. Funeral services were conducted at Mt Gilead June 15, by Rev George Dalrymple, after which the body was laid to rest in the cemetery nearby. Card of Thanks. We desire to sincerely thank our many friends, neighbors and relatives, also Boy F Clancy, the Undertaker, for their kindnesses in every way during the sickness and death of our beloved husband and father. Mary J Wells, Mr & Mrs Harry Dixon, Mr & Mrs Bert Wells

Salem Leader, Sep 24, 1897: 
Courtesy of Linda Fullen Sawyer

William R Wible, one of the leading citizens of Orange county died at his home in Orleans, Tuesday evening, Sept 21, 1897, aged 76 years and 8 months. He was born on the farm 1 [miles] west of Livonia, Jan 22, 1821, and near where he resided during his life except for about four years past that he has resided in Orleans. He was the son of Judge Samuel Wible and Polly Rignon [Rigney] Wible and was one of eight children born to them. Mr. Wible received a common school education, and was always an enterprising and active citizen. Although farming was his principal occupation, he spent some years in the blacksmith shop and in after years operated several threshing machines. He married Sarah E Mitchell of Washington county, Feb 2, 1842, and by her is father of ten children, these four are now living: Benjamin F., Polly A, John M, and Melvina. Mr. Wible enlisted in Co G 19th Reg Ind Vol Inf, where he served in the Rebellion from November, 1861, to December, 1861, and was honorably discharged. He participated in these battles: Siege of Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Big Black, Alexandria, Cumberland Gap and a number of minor engagements. On his return home he continued farming on his 120 acres of land where he spent so many years of his life. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wible were members of the Livonia Baptist church. His wife died Feb 2, 1891. He was highly respected and honored. The funeral took place in the grove in front of his former residence, west of Livonia, at 11 a.m. Thursday, attended by a host of friends and relatives. The remains were laid at rest in the Wible burying grounds on the adjoining farm. We are pleased to add our testimonial to his worth as a citizen, Christian and affectionate father. Margherita.