Patoka Memorial Cemetery

Newton Stewart Cemetery

Lat 38 26' 20" N  Long 86 36' 8"W
Original Location Jackson Township Orange County

Reinterred November 18-19, 1976
From DAR records, 1940's....."The village of Newton Stewart  was laid out by William and Henry Stewart in 1839 and was a thriving community. A fine mill site on the Patoka River had attracted early settlers. Lewis and Daniel Allen entered land in 1815 and 1816 and built a mill. A cemetery in the southeast part of the town was used until at least 1862. It is now unfenced and almost obliterated." 

In addition to the 6 burials shown below, there are 80 others whose identities are unknown and identified with a ground level stone marked with a plot number only. Many are now covered with grass and  not apparent without exploration. Where no photo is shown, DAR records and reinterrment records have been used for reference.


Photographed April 26, 2017. All photographs Copyright Charlie Tredway
.
Copyright Charlie Tredway and Orange County INGenWeb. This page may be freely copied for your personal use, but it may not be reproduced in any public media without permission.

Last NameFirst NamePlot No.BornDiedOtherPhoto
AllenElizabeth14578/15/17913/16/1812?Photo
AllenEmery--------1844No Photo
AllenHarmon14648/??/18118/??/1844Photo
AllenJacob1463----2/5/1844Photo
BanksH. B.--------1852No Photo
BrownB.--------1855No Photo