McMullen - John - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

McMullen - John

Source: Waveland Independent newspaper, Waveland, Montgomery County, Indiana, May 21, 1920

John, the 17-year-old son of Jesse McMullen of Marshall was instantly killed at the sand creek Crossing on the Van on Wed morning when the northbound passenger [train] struck the auto which he was driving. His sister, Mary aged 10 had her leg broken. Trainmen think that the engine stalled. The boy's neck, back and both arms were broken and head bruised. The auto was badly wrecked. Mr. McMullen is well known here, having formerly lived in this community and much sympathy is expressed for his misfortune. The passenger [train] took the body of the boy back to Rockville and girl was taken to St. Anthony Hospital at Terre Haute. - kbz

Source: Waveland Independent newspaper, Waveland, Montgomery County, Indiana, May 28, 1920

The following details of the accident which cost the life of Jesse McMullen's son is taken from the Marshall News

The children were returning home from a visit with their aunt, Mrs. Cecil Neet, and as it is a bad crossing at this place, it is presumed that they did not see or hear the approaching train and drove upon the track in front of it. The automobile, which was a Dodge was completely demolished. It was struck in the middle and carried about 18 feet and then pitched to the side of the track turning over 2 times and then assumed its right position. When members of the train crew and passengers reached the spot they found John's lifeless body lying in the wreckage near the left fender his hands still grasping the steering wheel. Mary was lying near the right fender and at that time was also thought to be dead. Both were placed on the train taken to Rockville. When it was discovered that the little girl was still alive, she was rushed to the Union Hospital at Terre Haute. On examination there, it was found that her injuries are not as serious as they were thought to be at first, and she will recover. Both bones of the lower leg were broken but she was not cut or mutilated. She regained consciousness, soon after reaching the hospital and talked to her father. John's body was taken to the Skelton undertaking room at Rockville, where Coroner Moris (sic) held an inquest. He found that the boy's back, neck and both arms were broken and his chest badly crushed. There was a cut on the forehead but otherwise he was not cut or mutilated. Funeral services will be held at the Marshall Baptist Church, this afternoon Friday at 1:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. SK Fuson of Rockville. Burial at Bethany. John had finished his Sophomore year in the local High School. He was popular and well liked by all of his school mates and many friends who are sorely grieved because of his untimely and tragic death. John was a member of the Marshall Baptist Church.
Back to content