Cox - Mary Srader - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

Cox - Mary Srader

Source: Crawfordsville Sunday Star 6 March 1899

Mrs. Mary C. COX died at an Indianapolis infirmary on Monday evening. She had been taken their (sic) for mental treatment on Tuesday of last week. She was the widow of Frank Cox, once one of the leading men of this town and manager of the first large planing mill of the city. She left two children, one the wife of Rev. Carter of Ladoga, the other the wife of J.A. Stanford, of this city. Mrs. Cox was a woman of unusual sweetness of character and few knew of her sad illness and mental affliction till the news came that she was dead. Her funeral was on Wednesday and was from the old home on Pike Street. It was conducted by Rev. Dr. Tharp, assisted by Rev. Kerr. Interment was at Odd Fellows' cemetery - kbz

Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal Friday, 3 March 1899
Mrs. Mary C. Cox was born in Fayette County, Ky., Jan. 16, 1833. When five years old, her parents moved to Montgomery County, Indiana. For the past three months she has been afflicted with some disorder of the brain and last Tuesday week was sent to the asylum at Indianapolis for treatment. Her chance for recovery was thought to be favorable, but Monday morning she suddenly passed away.

Mrs. Cox was married to B. F. Cox on Jan. 25, 1855. Soon afterwards they moved to 212 West Pike Street, which place has been their home ever since. Here she brought up her family of six children, only two of whom survive her, Mrs. J. A. Stanford and Mrs. J. V. Carter. In 1880 Mr. Cox died, leaving Mrs. Cox alone with the family and business cares. With what motherly solicitude and business tact she has shown in the performance of this trust, her neighbors and friends can testify.

She united with the Christian Church at the age of 22 years, being at the time of her death one of the few now left who were connected with the church in its earlier years.

The funeral services were conducted at the home at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Rev. Wallace Tharp, assisted by Rev. W. H. Kerr, officiated.

Back to content