Butler - John Maurice - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

Butler - John Maurice

Source: Indianapolis Journal Sat 23 May 1896 p 8

Mr. John Maurice Butler, son of th elate John M. Butler, died suddenly yesterday at noon while at the dinner table. Last week Mr. Butler was seriously ill with pneumonia, but he had so far recovered that he was able to go to the dining room. At the table yesterday he had a choking sensation and gasped. His sister, Mrs. Alpheus Snow thought it a nervous attack and at once went to telephone for a physician. While she was gone Mr. Butler was carried to a lounge by his mother and nurse but he died almost instantly. He was so much better in the morning that there was no though tof a return of his illness and his death came as a terrible shock to his mother and his many friends for the news passed with wonderful rapidity over the city.  Mr. Butker, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Butler was born at Crawfordsville April 12, 1865  and came to this city to live when he was five years old. He attended Wabash College from which he was graduated and afterwards took up the study of law in his father’s office in this city and later still became a member of the firm with his father and brother-in-law, under the name of Butler, Snow & Butler. Mr. Butler has always suffered with lameness from a contraction of the muscles of the legs ever since he was a child. Four years ago this summer he went to Europe with his father and was benefitted by the journey. He was a devoted love rof music and had a bass voice of wonderful depth and power and withal of a sweet and tender quality. He had sutided under Mr. Arens and others and was the bass soloist in the Second Presbyterian Church for several years.  Two years ago last winter he made all arrangements to go to NY to study music and his friends were surprised when he suddenly changed his mind and decided to go into the Allen Surgical Institute for treatment for his lameness. A serious operation was performed. He underwent the most excruciating pain for months, hoping that by bearing it, he would be relieved of his affliction but this treatment instead of benefitting him in the last, made a confirmed invalid of him and his health rapidly declined. A year ago last winter he went to Florida accompanied by Mrs. Snow and in the warm climate he felt stronger. The following summer he spent at the seashore with his father, mother and sister and last winter he went with Mr. and Mrs. Snow to Egypt spending the few months abroad in the south. They returned to this country but a few weeks ago.  Mr. Butler has been able to ride out and receive friends at his home .  He was a great reader and student. He kept abreast of all the best literature of the times but his absorbing passion was music. It was almost a contradiction that so strong a voice could belong to such a physique of his.  He was always generous with his gift and not only used it for his family and friends, but for charitable entertainments. He was a young man of strong character and in the memory of his friends he will ever be a hero for his cheerfulness and bravery in enducing pain. He was a loyal friend. The death of Mr. Butler takes the last of a quartet of boys who were the staunchest of friends. Maurice Butler, Frank Ward, Joseph Shipp and Charles Tapking. Mr. Butler used often to express wonder that the other were taken and he with his lames was left. He had a number of girl friends with whom he was a great favorite and they shared much of his time and attention, enjoying music and books together. Through all of his illness he had a most devoted companion in his sister. Mr. Butler was a member of the Dramatic Club and a participator in a quiet way in many social gatherings. He was a member of the Second Presbyterian Church which he always attended - kbz

Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal 29 May 1896 p 11

The many Crawfordsville friends of J. Maurice Butler are pained to learn of his death, which occurred last Friday at Indianapolis. The following sketch is from the Indianapolis News of Friday evening:
John Maurice Butler, son of the late John M. Butler and Mrs. Susan Butler, died at 12:39 o’clock today at his home, 166 north Meridian Street. He has been ill with pleurisy for two weeks but for the last few days had been better and had been sitting up this morning. For this reason the shock caused by his death was particularly severe. This morning some of the members of the family were downtown, wholly unexpecting any sudden termination of his illness. Death came at the dinner table and almost without warning.  Members of the family saw a strange look come over his face and the next thing they realized was that he was dead. Mr. Butler was born April 11, 1865 at Crawfordsville. He removed to this city, where he has since lived, when he was five years old. He was graduated from Wabash College in the class of 87. From this his youth was partially disabled by a contraction of the muscles of the leg. A year or so ago he went to the Allen Surgical Institute where an operatedion was performed to remedy this defect. However, he did not improve. He went abroad and traveled extensively, hoping for relief, but not finding it. For some time he has suffered from blood poisoning. His heart action was bad and recently he had been confined to his room. Today, feeling somewhat better, he had gone to the dining table as described. He was unmarried. His only sister is Mrs. Alpheus H. Snow who, with his mother, were with him at the time of his death. Mr. Snow had gone to Chicago. No arrangements for the funeral have yet been made.”

Back to content