Ambrose - Lewis C. - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

Ambrose - Lewis C.


Source: Crawfordsville Journal, Tuesday, May 19, 1908

Lewis C. Ambrose, son of Matthias Ambrose and Sarah Perkins Ambrose, was born in Highland county, Ohio, September 27, 1840. When he was seventeen years old his parents removed with their family to Logan county, Ill. In 1861 he entered the Union army, enlisting at Pleasant Hill (now Wingate) under Captain McIrvin, who later in his career arose to the rank of major. Major McIrvin was buried a few days previous to the death of Mr. Ambrose. Mr. Ambrose was in the Harris light artillery two years. Attacked with measles and with typhoid fever in succession, his health was broken. He was therefore discharged and returned to Illinois in 1863, to regain strength; but he soon returned to his country's service by entering to Illinois 36th Infantry, continuing till he was honorably discharged in 1865, at the close of the war. February 14, 1866, Mr. Ambrose was married to Anna McClure, daughter of the late Alexander McClure, who resided near Wingate, and who was well known all over the county. After his marriage Mr. Ambrose and bride went to Illinois, where they settled on a farm. They remained in Illinois for about a year and then moved on a farm near Wingate, where they resided for three years. In 1875 they removed from their farm and came to the city of Crawfordsville to reside. They lived in Englewood continuously for 31 years, removing a little over a year ago to present on west Pike street, where Mr. Ambrose passed away from this life Saturday morning at 1:30. For about forty-six years Mr. Ambrose was a great sufferer. When in entered the army he was the picture of health and strength. Leaving the army in 1865, after having twice enlisted, he had only broken health with which to enter upon life's battles of peace. He was determined to be employed and for years worked as a carpenter, continuing at lighter work as long as physical energy lasted. About two years ago a marked decline in his health began and in October, 1906, he suffered a severe stroke of paralysis from which it was thought he could not recover. Of 130 men belonging to McPherson Post No. 7 G.A.R. in this city, this is the fifth name to be stricken from the rolls by death since January 1, 1908. On December 27, Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose went to Florida where several weeks were pleasantly spent; but climatic changes so affected Mr. Ambrose that it became necessary to return home, which they did arriving here March 5, since which time he had steadily declined in strenght. His suffering was very great but he was patient, thoughtful and even cheerful through it all. Because he could not have health, he really wanted to die. Mr. Ambrose united with the United Brethren church when a boy of 12, his father being a minister in that church. When he married he united with the Methodist Episcopal church to which his wife belonged. He loved the church and his home life breathed a spirit of devotion that made religion real to those who knew him and made heaven's hopes real to him and his companion. Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose had two children, but both died in infancy. Of five brothers, Mr. Ambrose was the last but one to cross the flood. The one surviving is Henry Ambrose of Garnet, Kan., who was three years younger. Most of the relatives of Mr. Ambrose reside in other states. Of those nearer to him by ties of flesh are some of the well known honored Meherry family. But most of the relatives who join the wife who mourns the loss are her relatives. These were so bound by ties of association and affection to the deceased that they can realize no such a distinction, feel rather that one of their dearest friends has gone. There are very many in this city who think of the life that is gone with profound respect and reverence.

File Created: 13 Feb 2011 - thanks very much to Kim H for sending this our way :) kz
Back to content