Luddington fire - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

Luddington fire

Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal 3 May 1901 p 6

Last Tuesday at the home of Ira Luddington on south Grant Avenue, Miss June Luddington was cleaning an overcoat with gasoline and used liberal quantities of the fluid. The room was close and warm and was soon filled with fumes. There was an explosion  and in an instant the whole interior seemed to be in flame. Miss June rushed out and Mr. Luddington carried his old invalid mother out in the yard. He then returned to fight the flames and soon had all put out except the overcoat which persisted in burning. It was carried out in the yard and rolled and beaten about but the flames stubbornly refused to be subdued. Finally it was given up as a bad job and the garment was permitted to burn until entirely consumed.

Back to content