Agnew - Grant kidnapped - Montgomery InGenWeb Project

Go to content

Agnew - Grant kidnapped

Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal Thursday, 8 May 1873
The case against Joseph Alexander, Henry and Jeptha Bell, charged with kidnapping Grant Agnew, (son of Lucy Ann Fullen Agnes) a little grandson of Thomas Fullen, living three miles north of this city, was called up last Monday morning, and continued until next term to enable the defense to procure deposition from Iowa. The defendants were held in recognizance in the following sums: Joseph Alexander, $1,000; Jeptha Bell, $500; Henry Bell, $250. Alexander and Henry Bell were each held in recognizance for similar amounts to answer the charge of assault and battery on Charley Fullen. - kbz

Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Journal, Thursday, 12 March 1874

One of the most interesting trials that came off during the recent term of the Circuit Court was that of Joseph Alexander vs. Charles M. Fullen, on a complaint for malicious prosecution and libel. It will be remembered by some of our readers that in July, 1872, Alexander went to the farm where Fullen was at work and took possession of a little boy, the son of his wife, Fullen being the guardian of said boy and claiming the right to hold possession of him, and that a fight ensued in which Fullen was badly injured, and the child taken to Missouri against his will. Alexander was indicted for assault and battery with intent to kill, and also for kidnapping. He was tried on the first charge last fall, and got off with a verdict of guilty of simple assault and battery and a fine of one cent. Alexander then pleaded the conviction on this charge in bar of the prosecution for kidnapping, on the ground that the same identical circumstances constituted both offenses, and that he could not be twice convicted for the same offense. On this plea, he was acquitted of the charge of kidnapping. Alexander, after these trials, sued Fullen for malicious prosecution and libel. The trial occupied about two days, including a night session. The jury, after being out about twelve hours, returned a verdict for the defendant. The plaintiff was represented by Mr. Paul, of Fountain Country, and Messrs. Britton & Bruner, of this city, and the defendant by Mr. R. B. F. Pierce and Messrs. Kennedy & Brush.

Back to content