Source: Montgomery County, Indiana Atlas of Montgomery County (Chicago: Beers, 1878) p 55
WARD, Amazon, PO Whitesville; Farmer, Sec 27, native of Union Co IN Settled in this co. 1856.
Source: H. W. Beckwith, 1881 History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Chicago: Beers) p 275
Amazon WARD, farmer and stock raiser, Whitesville, was b. April 25, 1835 on a farm near Liberty, Union Co, Indiana. His father, David G. Ward, was b. July 18, 1803 in Madisonville, Ohio. When a young man he moved to Union Co, Indiana where he engaged in farming and wagon making, having previously learned his trade in Madisonville, Ohio. In this co. he was united in marr. with Eleanor LAFUZE, daughter of Samuel and Eleanor ( HARPER) Lafuze. By this union they became the parents of 12 children, nine of whom are living. From this co. they emigrated to Madison Co, IN and after a two years' sojourn, in 1856 moved to Montgomery County and settled near Mace on what is known as the old CHRISMAN place. In about 4 years he traded this farm for a home near Darlington, where he resided six years, when he disposed of his property in Mont. Co. and moved to Boone Co, where he purchased a home upon which he still lives and is engaged in gardening. He is a member of the Christian Church, as is his wife. Formerly he was a whig, but since the organization of the Rep. party he became one of its most active workers. Amazon lived with his parents until 22. Jan 27, 1859, he was marr. to Phoebe Jane MONTGOMERY who was b. July 18, 1838 and is the youngest daughter of James and Phoebe Montgomery, prominent pioneer citizens, who located in this township (Union) in 1832. Mr. W. is the father of 4 children, all of whom are living: Clara Bell; Camella May; Ulyses Grant and Henry Alva. He farmed two years on the Chrisman place, when he moved on the Montgomery Farm, in Union Twp and in 3 years purchased his father's farm, near Darlington, in connection with his brother, Stephen. Two years later he traded this portion of the property for 160 acres, where he now resides, being in possession, at this date of 195 acres. He moved to his present beautiful location Jan 1, 1866 and in 1874 erected a comfortable frame dwelling about the size of his present one. Feb 21, 1877 it burned to the ground, but with the same energy that has characterized all his doings he immediately set to work on the two story, 46 x 52 handsome brick building now standing upon the ashes of its predecessor, the brick being made upon his own property. He is an earnest supporter of the principles of the republican party, casting his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont, in 1856