Source:. Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, pp439-440
HENRY C. ROGERS, M. D., is well known as one of the leading physicians and surgeons in the city of Rockville. He was born in Brown Township, Montgomery County, Ind., August 16,1844. His father, Dr. Henry Rogers, was of English descent and was reared in Culpeper County, Va. He studied medicine with a Dr. Karter, of Kentucky, and practiced in that state until he came to Franklin Township, two miles west of Parkersburg in Putnam County, Ind., when he removed to Clinton County, Mo., and practiced several years. Here he was married, but his wife lived only a short time and he married again, Miss Jane Kirkpatrick becoming his wife. After his marriage Mr. Rogers settled on a farm midway between the towns of Parkersburg and Russellville, where he lived until 1843, when he entered more land, on which he lived about twenty-four years. In 1867 he sold out and bought in Clark Township, Montgomery County, where he remained until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1874. Mrs. Jane Rogers, the mother of our subject, was a native of Kentucky and was supposed to be of Irish ancestry. By her marriage she became the mother of two children, Henry C. and James. She passed away about the year 1878. Mr. Rogers was in Dudley's defeat, on the River Thames, in the War of 1812 fighting with the Kentucky troops. He practiced medicine all his life and was considered one of the best physicians of his day. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his wife belonging to the order of Rebeccas. Politically he was a Republican, having been a Whig in the early days of independence. He was a noble Christian man and served the Christian Church of his township, acting in the capacity of Elder, which office he filled until his death. His companion was a member of the Presbyterian Church and discharged her duties faithfully. Dr. Henry C. Rogers was reared on the old home place, where he lived until coming to Clark Township with his parents. On the 20th of March, 1866, he was united in marriage with the lady of his choice, Mrs. Cintilda Wilson, a daughter of James B. and Susannah Wilson, of Putnam County, Ind. James Wilson was a prosperous farmer and stock-raiser of that county, and very creditably filled his position as Justice of the Peace of that place for many years. His wife was born and reared in Putnam County, receiving a common-school education. Mr. Wilson was born the 25th of December, 1847, and died September 30, 1884. After his marriage Dr. Rogers followed farming for several years, but his mind naturally tended toward his father's profession, and as he had early begun reading his father's medical books and had studied under him, he decided to follow the practice of medicine. By identifying himself with various medical societies and by careful reading he keeps well abreast of the times. He is devoted to his profession and his patients feel that safety and confidence under his care that a true physician ever inspires. He attended the Russellville (Ind.) College, and after completing his literary studies he entered the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, where he moved with his family. He graduated there February 25, 1876, after which he practiced at Barnard, in Jackson Township, Putnam County, in close proximity to his old home. While here he practiced in the counties of Putnam and Montgomery until the fall of 1880, when he was induced to move to Rockville. Since coming here Dr. Rogers has built up a lucrative practice, owns a piece of good town property, and one hundred and sixty acres of fine farming land in Adams Township, within two miles of the city. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have four children. They are James H., who is intending to be a jeweler; Annie, who is at home and a milliner; Eddie W., who is looking after the farm interests, and Frank E., who is now attending school in Rockville. Politically our subject casts his ballot for the Republican candidates. He was Postmaster at Barnard, Ind., for several years. During the struggle between the North and the South Dr. Rogers offered his services to his country, and enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty - fifth Regiment, Company D, Division Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under the command of W. C. Wilson. He is a member of the Indiana Medical Society. While in college he made the diseases of women and children and obstetrics a specialty, and in his entire twenty years' practice he has been very successful and proficient. Dr. Rogers' office is situated on the southeast corner of the square; his residence is on North Jefferson street After he graduated at the Indiana Medical College he united with the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and founded the Medical College of Indiana, at which he was in attendance, taking the Eundum Degree and thereafter the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Dr. Rogers is a busy man, efficient in his calling, a good manager, and bears a good reputation. kbz
Source: Russellville News Friday Aug 2, 1935
GAR Meeting at Rockville - Dr. HC ROGERS of Rockville who is nearing 91 years of age was here Wednesday morning. He has been a practicing physician for 75 years and is still quite active and alert for a man of his age. He left us the following notice: A grand Union meeting of the boys who wore the Blue, their wives, soldiers' widows, their sons and daguthers and all allied organizations of the Grand Army of the Republic will be held Aug 21 at Beechwood Park, Rockville.. a general invitation will be extended. Post No 9 HC Roberts, Adjutant.
Note: Thanks so much to CDPL for this great photo