Source: Beckwith, H. W. History of Montgomery Co IN. Chicago: HH Hill, 1881, p 169
REMLEY, David H, farmer, Crawfordsville, Indiana, was b. Dec 21, 1844 on the farm upon which he now lives. His father, John Remley, was b. May 21, 1800. At the age of 12 his father died, and at the age of 15 he was apprenticed to Richard SKINNER of Lebanon, Ohio to learn the tanner's trade. Here he remained 5 years, at the expiration of which time he worked by the month until the spring of 1824, when he walked from Ohio to IN and purchased 80 acres of land from Mr. STITT, W. of Crawfordsville and after planting three acres of corn returned to Ohio on foot. The family have in their possession a cane Mr. Remley used in walking to this County, with the date of his walk upon it. After his return to Ohio he worked about a month and was married to Sarah McCAIN, near Lebanon, Ohio. Her father, James McCain, was a native of NJ but finally moved to Oh and d. there in 1824. Her mother, Ann (DILL) McCain, was a native of KY, and d. in 1845. They became the parents of 11 children, 7 of whom are living. Elizabeth A. is living with her mother on the home farm, and was born Nov 23, 1826, and has been a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church for 30 years. Mr. R. joined the Presby. Church Feb 1841 and was one of its elders for more than 20 years. Mrs. R. has also been a member since 1841. He was a Whig, and at the founding of the Republican party joined that organization. Mrs. R. accompanied by her uncle, William McCain and two cousins came to Indiana. There were but 2 horses in the company and these were rode by Mrs. Remley and her uncle, the journey taking 8 days. Mr. R. loaded his goods upon a flatboat at Hamilton, Ohio on the Miami river and shipped them to Terre Haute. He then walked to this city, engaged a team of oxen, hauled them to the present homestead, and arranged them in a 10 x 12 log cabin with the door swinging out, previously erected by Mr. Stitt near the S. line of the farm. Mr. Remley being a tanner by trade, located upon this tract of land on account of the springs. He soon built a cabin and established a tanyard, where he continued to do a splendid business until 1858. 3 or 4 years after settling on his place Mr. R. erected a hewed-log cabin, but just as it was completed it caught fire and burned to the ground. He soon commenced the building of two rooms of the present brick house which the family occupied as soon as finished. IN 1840 he made some additions, as he did also in 1855 and here resided until his death, Jan 2, 1879 at which time he owned over 2,000 acres of land. Having commenced life as a poor boy, he gained his fortune through economy and industry. His was an honest, active and christian life and when death separated him from this world he left to mourn his departure a family who loved him dearly and numerous friends and neighbors who ever loved him dearly, and numerous friends and neighbors who ever held him in the highest esteem. David H. attended the district school until his 20th year and lived with his parents until his marriage, March 10, 1870 to Elizabeth A. Busenbark. They have one child, James Edgar, born Sept. 29, 1871. Mr. Remley is now farming the old homestead. He and his wife have been members of the Presbyterian Church since Feb 24, 1878. He is now one of the deacons of that society and a staunch republican, casting his first presidential vote for General Grant.
Source: History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen, p 798
It is a matter of doubt which is the greater heritage, a distinguished name or a goodly estate. Some persons would choose one and some the other, depending wholly on their feelings and judgment combined. But when the two are sent down to descendants together, the permanent standing of such descendants in the community will never be questioned, so far as the heritage is concerned. The average citizen of the US can hand down no greater heritage to his children than an unblemished reputation, as has been done in the Remley family, one of the best known, oldest and most highly honored in Montgomery County. David H. REMLEY, the immediate subject of this sketch, was fortunate in being the son of such a worthy character as John Remley, who, for a long stretch of years was one of the most representative citizens of this county, a man whom to know was to trust and admire, for he was enterprising, genial, neighborly, kind and public-spirited, never failing to lend such aid as was possible in furthering any principles of good. The subject of this sketch, one of our worthiest native sons, most substantial agriculturists, and widely known citizens, has long ranked among his father and brothers, that this locality is indebted for its marked and continuous growth and for the high position it occupies as a center of agriculture, live stock and industrial activity. He has always been held in the highest esteem by the people of this locality owing to his life of industry, public spirit and exemplary habits, and thus for many reasons he is eminently entitled to a conspicuous place in the pages of the present biographical compendium. David. H. Remely was born in Union Township, Montgomery County, Dec 21, 1844. He is a son of John and Sarah McCAIN Remley. In view of the fact that a complete sketch of John and family appears on other pages of this volume, it is not deemed necessary to repeat same here. David H. Remley was reared on the home farm and here he has always resided, never caring to follow the wanderlust spirit to unexplored fields or much less to the false allurements of the city. When a boy he assisted with the general work on the farm and he received his education in the district schools. On March 10, 1870 he was united in marriage to Elizabeth A. BUSENBARK. She was a native of Montgomery County where her people have long been well known and here she grew to womanhood and received her educational training. To our subject and wife one child has been born, James F. Remley. Mr. Remley has kept the old homestead well improved and under a high state of cultivation, so skilfully managing the same that it has retained its original strength and fertility of soil. He carries on general farming on an extensive scale and has paid special attention to handling livestock of which he is a good judge. Everything about the place denotes good management and good taste. He is one of the leading members of the local Presbyterian Church.