Forest F. CUMMINGS
Source: History of Montgomery County, Indiana. Indianapolis: AW Bowen, 1913, pp. 812-13.
There could be no more comprehensive history written of a community or county or even of a state and its people than that which deals with the life work of those who, by their own endeavor and indomitable energy, have placed themselves where they well deserve the title of "prominent and progressive," and in this sketch will be found the record of one who has outstripped the less active and the less able plodders on the highway of life, one who has been consistent in his life work and never permitted the "grass to grow under his feet," one who, while advancing his own interests has not neglected his full duties to the general public, at the same time upholding an honored family name. Such a man is F. F. Cummings, of the Cummings Auto Company, a well known and rapidly growing concern at Crawfordsville.
Mr. Cummings was born in Champaign county, Illinois, May 23, 1883. He is a son of Marshall F. and Minerva (Porter) Cummings. The father was a prosperous planing mill man and contractor of Indianapolis, spending the latter part of his life in the Hoosier capital and dying there on March 7, 1910. His widow survives and still makes her home in Indianapolis.
F. F. Cummings was a child when his parents removed from Champaign county, Illinois, in 1887, and he grew to manhood in the metropolis and there received his education, which included a course in a business college, after which he went to work in his father's planing mill where he remained until he was nineteen years old, during which time he mastered the various details of that line of work. He ten took up railroading, securing a position as brakeman on the Pennsylvania road, but after a year of that dangerous and arduous work he returned to the planing mill where he remained until four years ago when he and his brother, H. S. Cummings bought out the Alfrey Auto Company at Crawfordsville, and they have built up a large and rapidly growing business. They handle the Ford and Hudson cars and conduct a general repair house, also storage for autos, handling supplies of all kinds, gasoline, oil, etc. Their patrons come from all over this locality, and an evidence of their success as salesmen is seen from the fact that most of the cars in Montgomery and adjoining counties seem to be the makes which they handle. They understand every phase of their business and are prepared to do promptly high grade work.
H. S. Cummings was born on August 13, 1885, and was educated in Indianapolis. Like his brother he learned the planing mill business under his father and followed the same until he came to Crawfordsville a few years ago. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and he and his brother are both standpatters in politics, voting the Republican ticket. These young men have made a fine start in the business world and the future promises much for them.
F. F. Cummings was married on February 20, 1905, to Lillian E. Robinson, daughter of C. M. Robinson, a plumber of Indianapolis. To this union two children have been born, namely: Marshall F., and Marion N.
On October 2, 1910, H. S. Cummings married Della Bruner, the daughter of Joseph Bruner, of Hillsboro, Indiana, a carpenter by trade. Mr. Cummings belongs to the Masonic lodge, and politically is a Republican.