Source: H. W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana, (Chicago: HH Hill, 1881) p 181
Montgomery Co. desires to keep in remembrance her honored dead. Among her early pioneers the name of Henry Crawford is prominent. To him, with others in that early day, the "present" is indebted for many of the elements of strength that place Crawfordsville on the high business, intellectual and moral plain she now occupies. Henry Crawford was b. in Charleston VA Dec 15, 1802 and was the son of Alexander and Catharine Crawford. His father was a native of Ireland and his mother of Union City, Pa. She d. when he was a boy, in Lebanon, Ohio where the family were living at the time. In 1827 he came to Crawfordsville where he was constantly engaged in mercantile pursuits till within a few years of his death. He early opened a store and kept a general stock on the ground now occupied by the NUTT hotel and about 1830 moved his store and stock to the spot on which the present Crawford store stands, first door E. of the courthouse. On that spot he made his reputation as a business man. To sell and buy goods was a pleasure to him, and by close attention and care, by strict integrity and faithfulness to promises, he became a successful merchant. Those early days tried the courage of a young man. Then six weeks were required in which to make the trip to NY for goods; now only a few days. In 1843 he united with the Center Presbyt. Church and became one of the most liberal and earnest supporters of the Gospel. Mr. C. also took an earnest interest in the Wabash College and all progressive measures. A little more than a year before his death sickness prostrated him and it seems impossible for him to rally. At last, surrounded by his friends and loved ones, he passed from the toils and pleasures of earth April 2, 1878 after 51 years' residence in Crawfordsville. Mr. C. was a whig in the times of that party, and with the rise of republicanism he espoused its principles, and although he never sought political distinction yet was earnest in his political opinions. hew as twice marr: first to Mary COCHRAN by whom there is one surviving son, Henry E; his second marr. took place in 1841 this time to Lydia M. MARSHALL daughter of Benj. and Elizabeth Marshall of Dunbarton NH. Mr. C. left a second family, consisting of a wife and two children, Clara R. and Charles M., now proprietor of the stone front dry goods store just E. of the courthouse.