Source: H. W. Beckwith Montgomery Co Indiana History (Chicago: HH Hill, 1880) p 256
Eli COMPTON, justice of the peace, Crawfordsville, is a native of Dayton, OH May 19, 1816 being the date of his birth. His father, Amos Compton was born in SC and his mother in E. Tenn. Their parents brought them to OH where they were married. In 1858 or 59 they moved to Iowa and there both died in 1864 and are resting in Marshall Co. He was a prominent Democrat, and served as Justice of the Peace several years. She was a member of the Methodist Church. The Comptons were formerly Quakers, or Friends.
Eli's life has been somewhat varied in the different channels of labor in which he has sought a livelihood. He spent the first 23 years of his life on a farm. At that age he came to Tippecanoe County, Indiana and was engaged in superintending the construction of a plank road from La Fayette to Crawfordsville. In 1850 he came to Montgomery County and entered the sawmill or lumber business and for 2 years superintended the cutting of the railroad bed through Crawfordsville and vicinity and grading of one mi of that road, viz. the New Albany Louisville & Chicago. During the Civil War he spent 2 years in the quartermaster's dept. as an employee. He has spent one year in the hardware store of Cumberland & Harter also with Cumberland & Graves for a time. During the past 8 years he has acted as Constable in Montgomery County and in 1880 was elected Justice of the Peace. His office is over Allen Bros. store. Mr. Compton supports the Republic Party.
He was married Dec 19, 1839 to Matilda daughter of Levi and Betsy Mills, of Ft. Wayne. They have had 9 children, but 5 of whom are living: Matilda J, Angelia A, Evilyn H, Ella W and Charles H. They have also shown a kindness in taking an orphan girl, Lottie Martin to care for. Mr. Compton's education utilized 6 months of his life in the school room, but he looks well to his children's accomplishments. Three of his children, Matilda, Ella and Eva are now teachers, while Charles is employed in the printing office of the Crawfordsville Journal. Mr. & Mrs. Compton are members of the Presbyterian Church. -- typed by kbz