JOHN H. COCHRAN
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain County, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, p. 157.
John H. COCHRAN, well known for many years as a successful and extensive agriculturist, ably managing a magnifcent farm of 900 acres, has now retired from active farming duties, but he still resides upon the homestead, which is pleasnatly located in madison Twp, Montgomery Co, Ind. Mr. Cochran was born in Fountain County, where Veedersrburgh (sic) now stands in 1825. His parents were among the early settlers of the state, but they were both natives of VA. HIs paternal grandfather was of Scotch parentage, but was reared in the SOuth where the father of our subject was born about 1773. Coming with the advancing tide of emigration to the Northwest, he located in the new State of Indiana, and was successful in maintaing his family and gathering together a valuable estate. John H, was the youngest in the family of 7 children who brightened the pioneer home of William and Deborah Custer Cochran. One little one passed away in early life, but six survived to adult age. Margaret became the wife of John WIlson of Crawfordsville; James married and died in Medina, Ohio, leaving a family; Logan is now residing at Veedersburgh, ind; Mary was united in marriage with Henry Crawford of Crawfordsville; Amanda is the wife of William Warden of Ohio; Jacob died in youth; and John H., our subject completes the list. In 1851, Mr. Cochran married Miss Diana Morehouse, a daughter of William Morehouse, a pioneer settler of Indiana who removed with his family from Ohio to the Hoosier State in 1833. Mr. Morehouse was a native of the Old Country, and was born and reared in Ireland. The success of many of his fellow-countrymen of the "land of the free" determined him to sail for America. He made his home in Baltimore and married there. HIs wife bore the maiden name of Catherine Mincher. Mr. and Mrs. Morehouse located in Cincinnati, Ohio and rem ained ther for a time but were induced to try the father West and settled permanently in Montgomery County, Indinaa. In their pleasant home their 7 children were trained to habits of industry, and each and all had the advantage of such schooling as the new country could afford. Mrs. Cochrain was the eldest of the family. Her brothers and sister are Calvin, now of Champaign Co Ill; Robert, deceased; Benjamin, a resident of St. Louis, Mo; Hiram of Monticello; Jane, the wife of Jesse Barcus of northern Illinois and WIlliam, who died in White County, Ind. Our subject and his wife began their housekeeping upon the homestead which has sheltered them ever since. The large body of well-tilled land which Mr. Cochran so diligently cultivated was partly an inheritance, but many of the acres have been added to the original legacy by the careful management and thrift of the young heir, who entered into possession when he had scarcely attained to manhood. Mr. and Mrs. Cochrain are the parents of 3 children, two sons and one daughter. Catherine D is the w ife of Sylvester Morris; the sons are John L. and Louis W. All reside on the home farm, near the residence of their parents. Surrounded by old friends and neighbors, enjoying the society of their children and their children's families, and secure in a comfortable competence, which enables them to aid others less fortunate our subject and his partner in life's joys and sorrows may tranquilly look back upon a well-spent life and rejoice in much deserved prosperity. Mr. Cochrain is always itnerested in national affairs and the local conduct of positions of trust. Ever since the formation of the Republican party, he has been one of its strong advocates and always voted the ticket until 1885, when he identified himself with the army of Prohibitionists. -- typed by kbz