CAMPBELL P. CLARK
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893.
Campbell P. CLARK was reared in Shelby County, and was married there to Miss Mary LEE, whose father was a farmer. In 1832, three years after their marriage, he came to Indiana, and entered one hundred and sixty acres of land of the Government, in Parke County. He was one of the earliest settlers of the county, and resided there until his death at a ripe age, January 1, 1881. He was very successful in his pioneer labors, cleared his land and brought it to a high state of cultivation, and added to it by further purchase until he owned a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres, upon which he erected good buildings. Mr. CLARK was a member of the Old School Baptist Church. In early manhood he was a Whig politically, but after that party became a thing of the past he identified himself with the Republican party. After his first wife´s death he married Mrs. JONES, a widow and the daughter of John LEE, a Baptist preacher of Montgomery County. She followed her husband to the grave twelve years after his demise. Mr. CLARK was the father of seven children, all of whom grew to maturity, namely: William T.; Elizabeth Francis, who became the wife of Lindsey MCMULLEN, and died in 1864; Sarah Ann, wife of Simeon VAN CLEAVE; James Franklin, who died in 1885; Matilda, who married Francis MCMULLEN, and is now dead; Abraham, a farmer in Parke County, and Henry H., a farmer in Cass County, Mo. Mr. CLARK also reared a niece, Harriet Ellen MILLER, now the wife of Bart CONLEY of Parke County. Our subject was but two years old when his father came to Indiana. He was reared in Parke County, near Waveland, and remained at the paternal home until he was forty years of age, affording his father a valuable assistance on the farm. He was married February 14, 1861. To Miss Nancy B. VAN CLEAVE, daughter of Benjamin VAN CLEAVE, who was a cousin of old Jonathan VAN CLEAVE. Our subject lived on his father´s farm until 1870, when he removed to Walnut Township, Montgomery County, and located two and a half miles west of New Ross, where he resided for over thirteen years. His farm at that point consisted of eighty acres of land, the most of which he improved himself, remaining thereon until 1883, when he sold that place and purchased the farm where he has since made his home. It consists of one hundred and ten acres of land, which Mr. CLARK, by his industry, perseverance and good management, has brought to a fine state of tillage, and its improvements are of a substantial character. Our subject having lost his first wife by death, he married Catherine DUKE, daughter of George DUKE, a shoemaker of Montgomery County. Mr. CLARK is the father of the following children born of the first marriage, four of whom are living; Henry Clay, a grain merchant at Fredericksburg, who married Minnie, daughter of Jacob JOHNSON, a farmer of Walnut Township; George W., who married Martha, daughter of William LAWTER, and lives in Clark Township; Nancy Ann and Charles, who reside at home; Catherine died when seven years of age. Mary Ellen and John died in infancy. Our subject affiliates with the Republican party. Religiously, he is an influential member of the Old School Baptist Church, in which he holds the offices of Treasurer and Trustee. He is a strong temperance man and is warmly interested in the success of the movement. = typed by kbz