JOHN B. CHAMBERS
Source: History of Vermilion County, Illinois Chicago: Pioneer Pub. Co., 1911, p. 72.
J. B. CHAMBERS - Among those enterprising citizens who have attained success in business affairs and are now able to live retired is J.B. Chambers, a well known resident of Danville, who was born in Montgomery County, Indiana on 9 May 1852 and belongs to a very prominent and influential family of this region. His father, William J. Chambers, was a native of Maryland and was a young man when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Indiana. On starting out in life for himself he chose the occupation to which he had been reared - that of farming - as his life work and on coming to Vermilion County, Illinois, in 1855 settled in Middlefork Twp where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time. He early became prominently identified with the public affairs and was called upon to serve as supervisor there for several terms. In 1868 he removeddo Ross Twp, which he also represented on the board of supervisors for 10 terms. At length retiring from active work he removed to Rossville in 1887 and continued to make his home there until his death in 1907, when he was 80. He always bore a prominent part in local affairs and was a consistent member of the Baptist Church. he was married in Montgomery County, Indiana to Miss Lydia Fouts, a native of PA who had removed to this state with her parents during childhood. J. B. Chambers is the second in order of birth in a family of 9 children, having 3 brothers and five sisters. Those now living are: Sarah, wife of J.D. Leonard, of Potomac, Ill; Malinda, now Mrs. Bridges, of Jasper County, this staet; Melissa, wife of J.A. Allen of Covington, Indiana; and R. F. Chambers, a resident of Wichita, Ks. As J.B. Chambers was only 3 on the removal of the famiy to Vermilion County he has practically spent his entire life here and is indebted to its common schools for the educational privileges he enjoyed. He remained on the home farm until 18 and then went to Rossville, where he engaged in the grocery business for himself for four years. Duing his residence there he marrie din 1874 Miss Elizabeth Copeland, a native of Middlefork Twp and daughter of WIlliam H and Rachel Stearns Copeland who were farming people and old settlers of this county. After his marriage Mr. Chambers resumed farming, which he carrie don from 1874 until 1887, when he removed to Danville and embarked in the hardware and implement business, which he continued to carry on with good success until his retirement in Nov 1909. In 1896 he erected the building on N. Walnut Street now occupied by his son Earl B, who succeeded him in business but is now devoting the greater part of his attention to the automobile business. This son is the only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Chambers and after completing his education in the public schools in Danville entere his father' s establishment as assistant. He is a very enterprising young business man and since the business came into his control has carried it on in an able and successful manner. He married Miss Blanche Hogan, of Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers hold membership in the Kimber Methodist Episcopal church and he is also identified with the knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of American and other orders. Although deeply interestedin public affairs and the welfare of his county, Mr. Chambers has never been an office seeker or desired political preferment. He is, however, an enterprising and progressive citizen and worthy represenative of one of the most highly respected families of the county. -- typed by kbz