La Porte County Beginnings
La Porte In 1832, a cabin was built here
by Johnson and Eahart of Michigan for the family of George Thomas. The first
White man to sleep in the cabin was a Wilson Malone
before the occupancy by the families of George Thomas, Wilson Malone, and Richard Harris. On July 1, 1832, La Porte saw its first marriage between Charles Vail and Olive Stanton.
They were joined by Charles Fravel, John B. Fravel, John and William Allison, Nelson Sandon. In 1833, La Porte was surveyed, laid out, and platted.
The original proprietors of the surveyed area were Wilson, Todd, Walker, and Andrews. By 1834, there were 15 houses in La Porte and, in 1835,
La Porte was chartered as a city and the county seat.
Michigan City Isaac Elston bought the
land along the shore of Lake Michigan in 1830 and subdivided it into lots where
the first log cabin was built by Jacob Furman and Joseph Bryant.
In 1833, the families of Samuel Webster, Samuel Flint, Thompson Francis, Joseph Orr, George W. Selkirk, and Samuel Miller were among the earliest to settle in this town.
In 1834, they were followed by George Ames, Leonard Woods, Sprague, Teall, Clark, and Forrester.
Westville The earliest settlers to this
area were the families of Henly Clyburn (1836) and James Concannon. In 1848,
William Cattron opened up a store here, and D.M. Closser started
a Dry-Goods store in 1849. Although among the earliest of settlements in La Porte county, this town wasn't platted until 1851 and was incorporated in 1864.
Union Mills 1832
was the year that Joseph Wheaton became a resident here and laid out this
little town. In 1837, a grist mill was built here by Sylvanus Everts which
was called "Union Mills" from which the town took its name.
This town was created on May 25, 1831 by a party of people who came up from La
Fayette, Indiana and consisted of the families of David Stoner,
Arthur Irving, Jesse West, and Ezekiel Provolt. Originally named Nauvoo, the site was platted as Portland in 1853, and renamed to Rolling Prairie in 1857.
Within a year of settlement, there were other families who joined them: Daniel Murray, James Hiley, Jacob Miller, John Garrett, Chapel W. Brown, Emory Brown,
together with the families of Harvey, Salisbury, Whitehead, James Drummond, Benjamin DeWitt, B.C. Bowell, J. Austin, Ludlow Bell, and George W. Barnes.
Waterford In 1833,
in Cool Spring township, Nathan Johnson built a dam and established a
settlement at this spot, laid out the town, and built a mill.
Mill Creek In the
Fall of 1831, Horace and Lane Markham settled here and the creek that ran by
was originally named after them, but was later called Mill Creek.
Door Village The
area is called Door Prairie and the first cabin was built there about 1830 by
Welsh and son who sold alcohol to the Indians. In 1832 Arba Heald built a
In 1833, a store was opened by Good & Heming, the first frame house was erected by Harrison, and Hiram Parker put up a tavern.
called New Durham, the first house here was erected in 1834 by Leonard Woods
and used as a store; he was joined by Hiram Wheeler in 1835 as a business
Otis First known as Salem Crossing, Otis
was settled in 1851 by Matthias Seberger, and in 1854 George B. Selkirk opened
a general store.
Holmesville In 1833, Jacob Bryant built a
saw mill and a cabin, which was later occupied by John Moorman. This place was
laid out upon the lands of Hiram Holmes
and the plat was filed October 2, 1855; hence the name Holmesville. Until the turn of the century, 1900, the principal occupants of this town were German and Polish.
Boot Jack Settled
in 1830 by John Wills at junction of Michigan-Joliet roads. Oldest Thoroughfare
north of the Wabash. Rice, an Indian, opened a trading post here in 1835.
Springville In 1833 the town of
Springfield was surveyed by Daniel M. Leaming, upon the lands of Judah Leaming.
During this year, Gilbert Rose, Hiram Griffin and
John Griffin became settlers. In 1834 Ingraham Gould, Michael Fall, Ezekiel Blue, Abner Ross, Aaron Conklin, John Johnson, Henry S. Allen, John White, Mr. Ross,
A.N. Shippee, Mr. Lewis and Josiah Redding became settlers. About the same time David Pagin built another mill. During 1835, the first wedding took place,
Abner Ross marrying Esther Rose.
Return to Index Page