As with all things, time takes it's toll. The here and now becomes the past, and the past is lost with time, as is the case of the lost cemetery in Sec. 36 of Monroe Twp. In 1867 it was platted on the map, never to appear again. As late as the 1950's there were still stones there. What time and the elements didn't destroy, vandalism did. Now there is nothing to mark the graves of the pioneers who are buried there. No one remembers one name that was interred there, only that it did exist. Quite possibly it was members of the Richard Miles family, for he was the owner of the land in 1867. In the 1877 Atlas of Grant County, Richard Miles is gone and this cemetery doesn't appear. It was in the S.W. 1/4 of the N.E. 1/4 of Sec. 36 Monroe Twp 24 N. R. 9E. On the old Marion to Hartford City road, which is also gone now.
...Original page by Sheila D. Watson
Return to Cemetery Listings Page
Return to the Grant County Home Page