SPENCER, DeWitt - 1910 - Fountain County INGenWeb Project

Go to content

SPENCER, DeWitt - 1910


Source: Kingman Star July 15, 1910

C. M. Spencer, undertaker and furniture dealer of this place received a telegram Monday morning from Saybrook, Illinois stating that his brother, DeWitt Spencer had died the night before from the effects of
carbolic acid taken intentially following is an account of the affair as reported by an Illinois paper: The death of Dewitt Spencer of Saybrook occurred Sunday night at 10:30, the effects of poison administered
intentionally being the cause of his death.  Mr. Spencer had premeditated the taking of carbolic acid as on several occasions the past week he talked with different persons on the subject.  The deed was committed while he was alone, the family being at the Chautauqua.  He was found by his son, Estin, who summoned two physicians but nothing could be done.  It is generally understood that he previously made an unsuccessful attempt upon his life.  The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. RY Williams.  Mr. Spencer was born December 30, 1856 at Annapolis, Indiana and came to Illinois in 1870.  He returned to his native state in 1879 and was there married to Miss Amanda Teegarden at Harveysburg, Indiana.  They came to this state so on after the wedding and settled at Saybrook where they have since resided. The wife survives with three children: Estin and C.M. Spencer and Mrs. Maude Rodeman.  Coroner Hare came from Bloomington Monday morning and held the inquest.  A jury consisting of Messrs. F. W. Easterbrook, J. D. Mc Murry, Bart Hileman, Samuel Siscoe, Charles Sprague and Jesse Chapman w s impannled and the inquest held about 10 o'clock at the home of the deceased in Saybrook.  Dr. N. P. Wood, Estin Spencer and I. T. Barnett were called as witnesses.  Estin Spencer testified that he was returning home from the Chautauqua about 9:30 when he heard some one moaning as he approached the house.  He went in, lighted the light and found his father lying on the floor.  He placed him on the couch and called Dr. N. P. Wood, who testified that he found the deceased in a comatose condition when he re ached the house.
From all appearances he had taken poison as his tongue was swollen and he was breathing with difficulty.  The son also testified that his father was often despondent and had talked of taking poison.  He was also addicted to drinking.  I. F. Barnard met the deceased about 7 o'clock Sunday evening and talked with him for a time.  He noticed nothing peculiar in his behavior.  The verdict of the jury was to the effect that the deceased came to his death by taking carbolic acid with suicidal intent.

Back to content