Joseph Cemetery is located on the corner of West 13th St. and Kundek
St, Jasper, Indiana. Lat 38°23'46.3"N Lon -86°56'05.9"W|
No transcription is available online. For transcription, see Dubois County Genealogical Society Cemetery Trancsription Book Vol 4, Page 1.
The information below is taken from a 1978 plat map of St. Joseph Cemetery. Courtesy of Helen Keusch
The town of Jasper was platted in Sept 1830 and by 1833 had a population of 60 people of various faiths. The first mass was offered to a group of five persons in the home of an early settler. The seal of the Parish of St. Joseph shows founded in 1837 but Father Kundek preferred to name Sept 28, 1838 as founders day when he was installed as Pastor for the log church at 7th and Newton ST for 39 families. In 1840 land was bought for a new church and graveyard, south of 13th ST and west of Newton ST. The first burial was in July 1840 –it was John Vogeler, died July 7, 1840. The Cemetery was blessed in Sept 1840 the day the cornerstone was blessed for the new brick church and 53 children were confirmed. There were about 130 families in the parish at that time. The brick church was built about 100 feet east of the cemetery and was razed in 1925. The cornerstone for the great stone church was laid on Sept 14, 1868 and the church was blessed Nov 20. 1880.