Home Up Center Township Clinton Township Eagle Township Harrison Township Jackson Township Jefferson Township Marion Township Perry Township Sugar Creek Township Union Township Washington Township Worth Township |
Eagle Township
Eagle Township -
including Clarkstown, Hamilton, Royalton & Zionsville
Eagle Township is situated in the southeast corner of the
county and was the first settled in the county by white men,
not even excepting Sugar Creek township. It was the best
naturally drained of all the townships. Big and Little Eagle
creeks flow through the township from north to south.
Fishback comes in from the northwest and Long Branch from
the east. Another reason for the early settlement was the
fact that the Eel River Indians held their reserve in the
northwest part of the county until 1828, and the lands were
not offered for sale until 1829. Among the earliest settlers
in the township we would name Patrick H. SULLIVAN,
the oldest settler in Boone county. Jacob SHEETS,
John SHEETS, David HOOVER, Austin DAVENPORT,
Jesse DAVENPORT, Nathan and William CARR,
James and John McCORD, Frederick LOWE, George
DYE, Jacob and John KING, James, William and
John HARMON, followed in a few years by Washington
and Thomas MILLER, Ben COX, Peter GREGORY,
William and Jas. MARSH, Daniel and Hugh LARIMORE
and a host of others until the township was occupied. The
first marriage in the county was in this township in the
home of the first probate clerk, David HOOVER. Elijah
CROSS captured his fair daughter, Polly. The first
election was held at David HOOVER's house and Jacob
SHEETS was elected the first justice of the peace.
James McCOY was the first preacher, a Baptist in
faith, as early as 1825. The first probate court of the
county was held at David HOOVER's home and Austin
DAVENPORT was the first sheriff. The first mill was
built on Eagle creek by Jacob SHEETS. George DYE
also built a mill on Eagle near Zionsville.
Eagle Village, about a mile east of Zionsville was the
first important trading point and held the position until
the railroad was built early in the 50's. The Eagle Village
Light Infantry figures in the early history of Boone at this
point where they rallied every month under the command of
Capt. J. F. DAUGHERTY.
Among the pioneer ministers of this locality were James
McCOY, George DODSON, Isaac COTTON,
Robert THOMAS, George DYE, George BOROMAN,
George W. DUZAN, William KLINGLER and William
GOUGE. All have gone to their rest long ago and are
waiting for the sound of the trumpet on resurrection
morning. Their bodies with their pioneer comrades mouldered
away in the early burial places, one at Eagle Village, one
just south of Zionsville, known as the Bishop grave yard,
one at Eagle Creek Baptist church and one on the Michigan
road near the old Bethel church known as the Bethel grave
yard. It is stated that the first brick house built in the
county was on the Michigan road between Eagle Village and
Clarkstown and was erected by Austin DAVENPORT in the
year 1835. Eagle claims the first cabin, first brick house,
first marriage, first judge and the first mill. Among the
early doctors were William N. and George W. DUZAN, H.
G. and Jeremiah LARIMORE, Warner F. SAMPSON,
S. W. RODMAN and N. CROSBY.
This township contains twenty-four sections and is
located as follows, to-wit: Sections 21, 22, 23, 24, 28 to
36 inclusive, in town 18 north, range 2 east and sections 1
to 12 inclusive, in town 17 north, range 2 east. In addition
to the good drainage attracting the early settler, was the
good roads for that day which enabled him to get there.
First among these were the Michigan road, and the road
leading from Indianapolis to Lafayette. While there were
settlements made before these roads yet they greatly aided
in the later influx of population and the commerce and
general traffic of the country. The I. C. and L. Ry. came in
1852, entering the township at the southwest corner of
section 12, running north and west and passing out at the
southwest corner of section 21. In the beginning of this
century came the traction entering the east part of section
12 and joining the Big Four at Zionsville and paralleling it
the rest of the way to Lebanon. With all these road
facilities added to the general good wagon roads throughout
the township, the people could move about with pleasure any
day in the year. This was a marvelous change to those who
could remember the almost impassable roads of pioneer days.
The first mill in the township and it must be the first in
the county was built by Jacob SHEETS on the banks of
Eagle creek soon after he settled in 1824. It was first
designed as a "Corn Cracker," but afterwards burrs were
added to grind wheat, and bolting to manufacture flour. The
second mill in the township was built by George DYE
and located on Eagle creek where Zionsville now stands. He
added to this a sawmill. Both of these mills had a wide
scope of territory to serve and developed a large business
and were very lucrative at that early date.
Churches
The first public religious meeting was held at the home
of David HOOVER, the sermon being delivered by James
McCOY, a traveling minister of the Baptist faith.
There were no church buildings in the township until after
the founding of Eagle village, northeast of Zionsville on
the Michigan road. It with Clarkstown are the oldest
villages in the township. They promised to be flourishing,
but the forming of Zionsville killed both. But in this
village it is stated that the first church house was
erected, but it passed away with the village. It is stated
that the mother of the churches in Boone county was the
Regular Baptist church constituted in the year 1829, with
the following members: George DODSON, Elizabeth
KING, Frederick GRENDELL and wife, John KING,
Thomas and Polly DODSON, Robert DODSON, Mary
DODSON, Samuel LANE and wife, Edward BRADLY,
David MARSH, John DULIN and wife, Squire
DULIN and wife, James PETERS and wife, Robert
DULIN and wife. The first clerk was James BRADLY.
The first house was a rough log building, but it answered
the purpose of worship. The second house was erected about
1850, costing about $600. This church is now reported dead
in the Mission Report of Boone county of 1911.
There are three other churches in the township outside of
Zionsville. These churches are located in and near Royalton
in the southwest part of the township. The Baptist (Means),
twenty members, losing ground. The Methodist Protestant,
with nineteen members, losing ground. The Methodists, one
hundred and twenty-six members, growing.
Schools
The first school -- it is stated by good authority that
the first school was on the banks of Eagle creek near the
Marion county line. If the information is correct about this
school it is not only the first school in Eagle township but
it is also the first school in the county. It is placed in
date several years before the school that was established on
the William BEELER farm in 1832. The third school
established was on the farm of William DYE north of
Zionsville. Miss Anna MILLER, doubtless the first
lady teacher in the county taught a subscription school in
Zionsville soon after its organization. When the schools
took a new start under the law of 1851, the number of
schools increased to nine in the township and under the
present system these schools have been reduced to five
outside of Zionsville.
Clarkstown (name changed to Hamilton)
This once thriving little town was situated on the
Michigan road, just north of where Little Eagle crosses the
same. It kept this name for years, when it was changed to
that of Hamilton, about the year 1838 or 1839. It was first
named after Walter CLARK, of Ohio. It was laid out on
the land of Jacob HOOVER in or about the year 1833.
The following were the first citizens: Frederick LOWE,
who built the first house and kept public house; Elias
BISHOP, John and George LOWE, the DUZANS,
Jacob HOOVER. The first blacksmith was CRITCHFIELD.
The first doctors were W. N. DUZAN, George SELDERS,
George W. DUZAN. The first merchants were Jacob
HOOVER, John DUZAN, Oel THAYER, Zachariah
OWSLEY. Zachariah TURPIN kept a grocery. The
first tanner was James SHEETS. The first carding
machine was built by Jacob HOOVER and Moses LYONS
as early as 1837 and has been kept up ever since; is now
owned by Paul D. LIEBHARDT, with a sawmill attached.
Andrew HOPKINS, Clinton OSBORN and Allen
BROOK were the saddlers and harness-makers. The town has
been allowed to go into decadence. There are only a few
dilapidated houses remaining that mark the site of the once
flourishing town of Clarkstown.
Royalton
Royalton nestles among the hills of Fishback and Eagle
creek and near the Marion county line on the south, in Eagle
township, southwest of Lebanon. Among the first merchants
were John RODMAN, Doctor HORN, John W.
VAUGH. The early doctors were Doctor HORN, Doctor
ROSS and Doctor GRAHAM. First hotel was kept
by John SMOCK; first blacksmith shop was that of
Thomas SMOCK; first postmasters were Doctor HORN,
John MCCABE, J. W. VAUGH; first shoe-makers,
Jeremiah WASHBURN and Daniel THOMPSON. Samuel
JONES was the first to sell whiskey in Royalton. Mr.
STROWMIRE was the principal merchant in the eighties.
There is a postoffice kept here; also trades of various
kinds going on. It was near here the famous FORMAN
murder occurred nearly a century ago in Marion county, and
no wonder with whiskey which could be bought at Royalton.
Zionsville
Zionsville is located in Eagle township in the southeast
part of Boone county, on the banks of Eagle creek, just
below the junction of Big and Little Eagle creeks. It was
organized and laid out in 1852, on the completion of the
Indianapolis, Cincinnati and LaFayette railroad now known as
the Big Four and belonging to the New York system. It was
named in honor of William Zion of Lebanon. It is about half
way between Indianapolis and Lebanon.
Among the first business men were John VAUGHN,
John SMITH, DAUGHERTY and NICHOLS, B.
M. GREGORY, merchants; C. H. TINGLE, J. M.
BIGGERS, grocers; J. M. BRADLEY, PERRELL
and PERRELL, druggists; CROPLEN and MILLS,
undertakers; M. S. ANDERSON, wagonmaker; doctors, S.
W. RODMAN, Samuel HARDY, N. CROSBY, M.
S. LARIMORE, F. LONG, G. W. DUZAN and
H. T. COTTON; J. O. HURST, dentist; attorneys,
Jesse SMITH, H. D. STERRETT, M. M. RIGGINS,
John A. POCK and C. N. BEAMER. The first hotel
was kept by John MILLER. John HOLMES built an
extensive grist mill in 1854. It was afterwards perverted
into a distillery and operated a short time and failed. M.
S. DAVENPORT built and operated the first tan-yard.
The thriving town grew rapidly from the beginning, owing
to the railroad and the beautiful rich country that
surrounds it. The country was rolling and easily and
naturally drained and developed into productive farms.
Zionsville soon became an extensive trading center.
Beautiful dwellings, extensive business rooms, excellent
school buildings and churches evidence the energy and thrift
of her citizens. The census of 1910 gives the population to
be eight hundred and forty and the third town in size of the
county. There are few towns of its size that can boast of
better school buildings and facilities and none have more
beautiful locations for such. There are four churches in the
town, Methodist, Presbyterian, Christian and Christian
Union, all of which support ministers and are alive in the
work. In addition to these, the enterprising citizens have
established Zion Park and maintain it from year to year by
ten days of program each August with the best of talent for
religious and intellectual instruction. Zionsville is above
the average of towns of its size for its beautiful location,
business enterprise and the social and moral character of
its inhabitants.
As Zionsville was an afterthought, not coming until after
the location of the railroad, it does not figure in the
early settlement of the county. Eagle village on the
Michigan road claims that credit. This was the first town
established in the county by white men. It was noted in the
early day for its energy and push. It was the first hotel
center of the county and led off in many enterprises. The
building of the railroad was its death knell. The laying out
and building of Zionsville on the railroad so close was more
than it could endure. Its most enterprising men moved to the
new city and took their business with them and soon the town
was gone. The fact that Eagle Village flocked to the new
city gave it a great boom, and it soon became very lively
and pushed forward rapidly, so that its friends thought it
would become the metropolis of the county. It pushed forward
for a few years until, Lebanon got out of the mud and other
towns along the railway line began to wake up and move into
life.
Zionsville at this juncture settled down to business and
became one of our steady growth substantial towns. It soon
became a center of trade for a considerable area of rich
country and business of all lines was established to supply
the demand. Mills, shops, stores and industries of all kinds
necessary to meet the wants of the people were established
and are maintained to this day. Zionsville is a live town
with energetic business men, up-to-date schools, spiritual
churches, beautiful residences and a hopeful outlook for the
future.
Submitted by: Amy Davis
Source Citation: Boone County Township Histories
[database online] Boone County INGenWeb. 2006.
<http://www.rootsweb.com/~inboone> Original data: Hon.
Leander M. Crist. "The History of Boone County, Indiana,"
Indianapolis : A. W. Bowen, 1914.
|